Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: All Good Beasts

All Good Beasts

They're tall, they're shaggy, they're grizzled; they're esteemed and battle-hardened members of Aragorn's elite ranger guard. Meet Lockjaw and Henbane, wolfhounds.

When the Battle of Dale hung balanced by a feather, Corbac son of Roäc tipped the scales. What vital piece of information did the canny young crow overhear?

The surveyors sent to Annuminas are in for a surprise: Evendim has a Watcher. But what sort of watcher would you find at the end of one of Ulmo's major arteries?

I started this challenge merely to help fend off a monster (literally) of a Beorn nuzgul that's been plaguing me, but the more I thought about the fauna of Middle-earth, the more I realized there's a ton of wonderful, underdeveloped material here. It's a vital part of Tolkien's mythos, and besides, it appeals to my sense of fun.

Give Beorn a wife, give Nargothrond a colony of bats, give Denethor a pet hamster named Thorongil. Give us the beasts!

It occurs to me that there are already a lot of challenges running right now, so maybe this should simmer for a while. Timing aside, have I caught anybody's interest?

Stulti

Re: All Good Beasts

Fluffy Sue!

Avon

Love this idea, Stulti! The dear ol' pets and animals are overlooked, and they've played great parts... take Gwaihir for instance, or those you've mentioned. I'm intrigued and caught up in this. What kind of tale do you envision, and what about the length? Would you like it told from the beast's pov?

This is a great idea!

give Denethor a pet hamster named Thorongil.

I nearly choked on this one! *snork*

I think this is a great idea. Yes, there are a lot of challenges up right now - maybe it's the fact that spring is in the air? But there's no question in my mind that this will capture a good bit of interest.

Maybe the Admins. will have a suggestion as to the timing of this so everyone who's interested can have a crack at it.

~Nessime

I think that's a great challenge. But I won't be able to confirm participation, my muse is being annoying.

You have a good point about the timing, though. But the 'Bitter Valentine's Day' one is coming to a close soon... (28th). If we get the number to five by then, we can activate the Challenge to coincide with the Poetry challenge's closure...

If you get it going, I have something I might be able to stop fooling with and finish.

I have a dwarf hamster named Figwit. Must name next hamster Thorongil....

This subject is labelled 'All Good Beasts' but I assume beasts of the fell variety count too? Would dragons count? Smaug-fic! Or I'd love to see something about one of the Nazgul horses... Or Shelob?

(Okay, I have to admit, ever since the random femslash pairing generator over at Library of Moria told me to write Galadriel/Shelob slash, and left me with an image in my head that just would NOT go away, I've wanted to write something about the grand old dame...)

Anyway, I really like the idea of this challenge, so if fell-beasties are included count my hand as raised.

Also echoing Starlight's question above - any specific format the stories should take? Do they have to be from the animal's pov, for instance? Or would it just have to be one of the main characters?

Sooo? Is this one going official any time soon?

I have a little nuzgul that wouldn't leave off nipping at my heels so I'm writing him into submission! Now it just needs a good home.

~Nessime

Sorry I've been so scarce! Thanks for your responses, y'all.

I'd keep the challenge as open as possible -- no length or POV restrictions. My sole objective is to get people thinking in new ways about a neglected part of the population... epic Beorn romances, 1-page howlers about Orodreth's first encounter with a fruit bat, werewolf tales from Bree... anything goes. I did have just the "good" beasts in mind, at first, but if the denizens want to write Galadriel/Shelob stories, I'm certainly not going to rain on the parade!

I think I correctly counted 4 interested parties... Let's let it stew for a few weeks. Once exams finish (any day now, for Canadians!!), small nuzgul may grow big.

Stulti

P.S. Nessime: Woo-hoo!

P.S. Nessime: Woo-hoo!

If anyone is interested, this particular nuzgul has officially been defanged. It's listed in the General Stories category under the title Promises to Keep.

So now I can go tackle the rest of the pack that are snapping at my heels!

~Nessime

As I ease back into my job, could I get a show of hands of volunteers for this beastie?

Nessime? Avon? Stulti? Others?

Thanks!

No, sorry - don't count me. I'm only a very vague possibility.

Avon

We just need one more person, it seems... though I am quite reluctant to raise my hand here...

1-page howlers about Orodreth's first encounter with a fruit bat

Well, in that case- I'm in!

Klose
Ijemanja
Nessime
Starlight
Stulti

Is this correct? Are all five of you volunteering?

Yep, I'm volunteering.

Klose
Ijemanja
Nessime
Starlight
Stulti

Wha..? Me? Hey waiddaminute, this is supposed to be a ploy to shake the little bloodsuckers OFF and hurl them at OTHER people, dammit!!

Fine.

Just don't quote Star Trek at me.

Stulti spluttered:

Wha..? Me? Hey waiddaminute, this is supposed to be a ploy to shake the little bloodsuckers OFF and hurl them at OTHER people, dammit!!

Welcome to my world.

Fine.

Just don't quote Star Trek at me.

I'm a nuzgul purveyor, dammit, not a Trekkie.

Should your red shirt be a small, medium, or large? With or without rank hashes on the cuffs?

Klose
Ijemanja
Nessime
Starlight
Stulti

I am! Should be fun.

Klose
Ijemanja
Nessime
Starlight
Stulti

As per a prior posting, mine's already in General stories, just waiting for this to go official. I may tweek a couple of lines in it before submitting it though. The day that I'm totally satisfied with anything I write will probably be the day that I die!

~Nessime

You've certainly caught my interest! Just one question: do this animals have to be canon characters i.e. can I give Pippin a rabbit, or Frodo a cat, or....

See what you've done! This nuzgul has firmly latched itself onto my heel!

You've certainly caught my interest! Just one question: do this animals have to be canon characters i.e. can I give Pippin a rabbit, or Frodo a cat, or....Gollum a budgie?

Go nuts.

In that case, count me in!

Should your red shirt be a small, medium, or large? With or without rank hashes on the cuffs?

BTW, welcome back Dwim. As you've noted, your apprentice Klose has been quite buzy during your absence!

~Nessime

Challenge up and running!

Go here to continue discussion.

And yes, I have noticed Klose's activities, mua ha ha!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges