Forum: Anglachel - Stories

Discussing: Congratulations on being accepted into the archive!

Congratulations on being accepted into the archive!

Hi Ang,

I was delighted to see your story here. It was so gripping, that I read it in two sittings (had to sleep sometime... grudgingly).

Congratulations!

- Barbara

Re: Congratulations on being accepted into the archive!

Thanks! My sincere thanks to all of the nine reviewers, regardless of the particular decision submitted, who took the time to read a novel-length story and provide an opinion on it. I appreciate the time you put in on my story. No rest for the wicked - back to writing HotK. Toodles - Ang

My seconds on the congratulations! I loved the story, and was sorry I couldn't vote on this. No rest for the wicked - back to writing HotK. (salivates) Lyllyn

My sincere thanks to all of the nine reviewers, regardless of the particular decision submitted,

Very courteous and broad-minded of you!

BTW, I was the jerk guardian of HASA purity that rejected your story and also gave you a list of errors to correct.

Trust me, if I had been bright enough to figure out that you were the author, I would have accepted the story -- and still included the list. I've been burnt a couple of times, so recently I've become much more hard-nosed about accepting stories with even a few typos. (And for a 175,000-word story, that was *very* few.)

Thank you for restoring my confidence in authors by correcting the errors before posting your story!

And it really is superb...

Best regards,
Barbara

P.S. You missed a couple -- probably because 1) I gave you the wrong chapter number, or 2) I wasn't clear about what the error was.

Ch 7 (not 6, sorry!)
‘Really? Such a wicked fellow for a such little boy.’
-> such a little

Ch 22
Baggins, good evening to you, as well.’
-> ‘Baggins, [the leading quote mark is missing]

Cheers, and thanks for putting up with my Nazi editor persona...

Trust me, if I had been bright enough to figure out that you were the author, I would have accepted the story -- and still included the list.

Exactly the wrong thing to say, darlin'. If the story deserved declination, it deserved declination. The judgment is on the story without regard to the author. One of the ways in which the review process is cheapened is when people vote for other people (big names, their best buddies, someone they have done extensive beta work for, etc.) rather than for a work, making exceptions to the rule because so-and-so can be cut some slack. That's why I ask all of my beta readers, people whom I beta for, and people on the admin list/tech support list to refrain from voting on something I write if they would vote to approve. Declinations are fine.

If anything, you should be *tougher* on the best authors, because they darn well know better. I've seen too many top-quality authors slide into mediocrity because they start to believe their own PR.

As per correcting typos, well, DUH. Any author who is informed of a typo in a HASA review and fails to even attempt to correct it is a jerk, in my entirely unhumble opinion. Being told you have too many typos is such a fixable problem I don't know why anyone would be upset - if it's wrong, it's wrong. I don't blame you for being a hard-ass for such things.

I'm plain embarrassed there was a single typo in the story, and I thought I *did* correct those two typos this AM. Ah, well, they'll be fixed in the next ten minutes.

I know who is going to be my beta next time around...

Toodles - Ang

PS - corrected. Thanks for catching them.

Exactly the wrong thing to say, darlin'. If the story deserved declination, it deserved declination. The judgment is on the story without regard to the author.

No, no, no that's not what I meant! Obviously, I didn't express myself clearly -- sorry!

I did *not* mean that I would have accepted the story only because you wrote it, or that I would have been even the tiniest bit less critical because I was familiar with the author, or that the list of typos would have been even one entry shorter. Nuh-huh. That's not my style. Let's face it, darlin', I like you -- but I would never let that get in the way of my reviewing style, which is best described as "slaughter the barbarians before they even approach the castle gate".

I mean that your story was very much on the borderline of whether there were too many typos to accept or not (relative to the size of the story). What I have done in the past for a *borderline* story, ***if*** the author *really* seems to take enough pride in their story to want to correct typos, is to accept the story, list the typos, and trust that the author would correct them before posting the story (as you did). Unfortunately, a couple of authors very recently failed me on that, so I have reverted to being a hard-ass and rejecting stories that are even the tiniest bit borderline, based solely on the typo count (while stating in the review that I would accept the story if the errors are corrected and the story resubmitted. Sometimes I suggest that the author resubmit, sometimes I beg... discreetly, of course. Yours was a beg.)

If I had realized it was you, knowing that you share my *cough* perfectionistic tendencies, I would have *known* that you would correct the errors before posting the story. That's all I meant.

What do I consider a borderline story? Normally, if I see three hard errors in an otherwise excellent story, I decline it immediately and don't read the rest (unless I really like the story...) But, there's some judgement involved... For example, if it's a drabble, one hard error and you're out -- that's 1% of the story! An otherwise-excellent longer story gets a bit more leaveway. So, the length of your story novella counted in your favor.

Second, the type of error makes a big difference to me. If someone can't spell, punctuate, or grammate(!) at all, I decline the story immediately. I count these as "hard" errors. Misspellings are always "hard" errors.

But other "errors" fall into a gray area: like using 'most' instead of 'almost' - that's an area where the language is changing. And, whether you hyphenate a word that modifies a second modifier (e.g. well-earned rest) seems to be an area where grammarians disagree. I consider those to be "soft" errors. I will list them, but if the author chooses not to implement them, I don't hold it against them. And, I don't count them against the "three errors and you're out" rule. Many of the errors I listed for your story were "soft" ones.

An aside: I was not only impressed by the quality of your story, I was impressed by the quality of your errors (and *that* has never happened before!). Not only was there not one single error that would have been caught by a spell-checker or grammar-checker, but the errors that existed would not normally be noticed by even the above-average reader. Most people don't notice missing or duplicate words -- our brain just automatically supplies the correction... For a 175,000-word story (note the hyphen...), that is extraordinary and speaks well of your dedication to perfection.

Okay, I've defended my level of hard-assedness more than enough...

I'm plain embarrassed there was a single typo in the story, and I thought I *did* correct those two typos this AM. Ah, well, they'll be fixed in the next ten minutes.

See? A fellow perfectionist! I told you so!

If it makes you feel any better, I wrote a very *short* story, and worked on it for two months before noticing that I had written that my character "peaked" out from under her eyelids... Doh!

Mind you, I keep a *list* of misused words culled from fan fiction. The list probably contains a thousand examples, and "peak" for "peek" is definitely one of them. How I could have missed a misused homonym in my own story is beyond me... So, even we perfectionists can be human. It's allowed. Occasionally.

I know who is going to be my beta next time around...

"Only if you let me review the story, also," she said, slowly and deliberately drawing her Elven long-knife over the whetstone...

Seriously, I'm not good at helping an author to develop a story, but if you want me to wave my Nazi-editor eyes over a chapter just before you post it, email it to me and I'll tell you if I have the time.

- Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Anglachel - Stories