Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Namesakes

Namesakes

Namesakes is up! You have until August 12, 2005 to write this story, so not only is there plenty of time to write, there's plenty of time to drag others over, kicking and screaming, to write.

Because this challenge spawned several ideas...

Would anyone mind if I entered it more than once? Say, maybe, three times? Sidenote: One of the ideas is already written and being beta'ed.

Re: Because this challenge spawned several ideas...

Would anyone mind if I entered it more than once? Say, maybe, three times? That's not a problem at all. Enter as many times as you like. Glad to see you're interested, Jacks. Marta

Would anyone mind if I entered it more than once? Say, maybe, three times? Excellent! Looking forward to seeing your stories! Happy writing, Meril I can't believe I didn't realize earlier how much fun shaping challenges could be... Maybe a new aspect of myself is developing: nuzgul-flinging!Meril. Though, to give credit where it's due, this one wasn't flung from my brain directly.

List of namesakes

To get ideas flowing, I'm listing all the names that were suggested at the thread. -Miriel Serinde, Feanor's wife, and Miriel, last queen of Numenor. -Legolas of Gondolin, Legolas of the Fellowship -Morwen Eledhwen (First Age); Morwen Steelsheen (Thengel of Rohan's wife, Third Age); Morwen (daughter of 15th Steward Belecthor I); Morwen (daughter of Hurin of the Keys, WotR, Third Age) -Finduilas of Nargothrond and Finduilas of Gondor. -Turin Turambar and his 3 Gondorian namesakes (Turambar, Turin I, Turin II) -Gondorian stewards often named their children after First Age heroes. (ie Denethor, Boromir, Ecthelion, Egalmoth, [Mardil] Voronwe, Hurin, Hador, Barahir, Dior, Turgon) -Hobbits often repeated names. -Dwarves had all the Durins (I-VII, I believe) -Sam/Rosie's kids Frodo, Rose, Merry, Pippin, Hamfast, Daisy, and Bilbo were all named after someone. -Pippin/Diamond's first son was named Faramir I. -Elboron, Faramir/Eowyn's son, was named for Boromir. -Barahir, Faramir/Eowyn's grandson, was named for Beren's father of the First Age. -Dunedain of the north tended to repeat names (going into numerals) -Beleg Cuthalion of Doriath & Beleg King of Arthedain -Mablung of Doriath & Mablung of Ithilien -Elu Thingol & his grandsons Elured and Elurin -Beren (father of Barahir, father of Beren Erchamion), Beren Erchamion, and Beren (19th steward of Gondor) -Valandil, 1st Lord of Andúnië & Valandil, 3rd King of Arnor -Eldacar, 4th King of Arnor & Eldacar, 21st King of Gondor -Tarondor, 7th King of Arnor & Tarondor, 27th King of Gondor -Tar-Elendil, 4th King of Númenor (Father of Silmarien mother of the first Lord of Andunie) & Elendil, son of the last Lord of Andúnië, 1st King of Gondor and Arnor -Hurin Thalion of Dor-lomin & 5th Steward Hurin I, 14th Steward Hurin II, and Hurin of the Keys of Gondor -Hama (Helm Hammerhand's second son) & Hama (Theoden's captain) -Lady Haleth of the Haladin & Haleth (elder son of Helm Hammerhand) Cheers, Meril

Re: List of namesakes

Thanks, Meril, for posting the list here! And thanks also for posting at HA. If you're looking to try to attract a few more people, may I suggest checking "The Hutch: Home of the HASA Nuzgûl" challenge forum? There's a list of Nuzgûl-friendly forums there, where you might tailor your pitch to suit the tastes of the forum denizens (Target Miriel to the folks at "The Grey Havens", for example). I can't believe I didn't realize earlier how much fun shaping challenges could be... Ah yes, there is nothing more entertaining than the cries and wailing of the nuzgûl-afflicted. Mmm... who needs the smell of napalm in the morning when you've got that?

Hey Meril, Want to add Beren to the list? As I recall, there were three canonical Berens. Beren Erchamion of the Lay of Leithian fame, his grandfather, and the nineteenth Ruling Steward of Gondor - the bloke who gave Saruman the keys to Orthanc. I was thinking of writing an entirely different Beren though- a Fourth Age one. cheers, Maya

Consider it done. Thanks, Maya! Cheers, Meril [Edit: For future reference, I'll just add them onto the list. Since this is really for story discussion.]

No one has yet mentioned Beleg, the king of Arnor named after Beleg Cuthalion of Doriath in the 1st Age. There were also Stewards in Gondor named [Mardil]Voronwe, Hurin I, Turin I (whom we have already discussed), Hador, Barahir, Dior and Turgon. Hmmmm.... I just noticed that no one is named after most 1st Age Noldorin princes, except for Turgon. Why not, do you think? Obviously they were named after Elves, since Voronwe, Beleg, and Dior were all Elves, and Noldor are not off limit, either, since Voronwe and Turgon were both Noldor.

Re: Namesakes

You have until August 12, 2005 to write this story, so not only is there plenty of time to write, there's plenty of time to drag others over, kicking and screaming, to write. Oh goodie! Now I don't have to feel too bad about signing my self up for this one. I have a full year in which to write something. ~Ti

Hi Meril, Just a nitpick: -Dunedain chieftains tended to repeat names (going into numerals, etc.; Beleg Cuthalion & Beleg the chieftain) The second Beleg was a King of Arthedain (a subset of the old Arnor), not a Dúnedain Chieftain. The later Kings of Arthedain, as well as all the Dúnedain Chieftains, had names beginning with Ar-. So there was, for example, Arathorn I and II, and Aragorn I and II. And, somebody might also be interested in these: Tar-Elendil, 4th King of Númenor, father of Silmarien, mother of the 1st Lord of Andúnië Elendil, son of the last Lord of Andúnië, 1st King of Gondor and Arnor Valandil, 1st Lord of Andúnië Valandil, 3rd King of Arnor Eldacar, 4th King of Arnor Eldacar, 21st King of Gondor Tarondor, 7th King of Arnor Tarondor, 27th King of Gondor - Barbara

Want to add Beren to the list? And don't forget Beren's dad, Barahir, who shared his name with Faramir's grandson Barahir (the author of The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn Perhaps even more significantly, there's Hurin of the keys and Hurin as in the House of Hurin. I actually have two nuzgul about how these two relaed to their namesakes. But they're way down the list. If I get to them, I'll certainly add them to the challenge. Marta

And don't forget Beren's dad, Barahir, who shared his name with Faramir's grandson Barahir (the author of The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn And Beren, the 19th Ruling Steward of Gondor. [Edit:] Sorry, must have missed Maya_ar's post. Perhaps even more significantly, there's Hurin of the keys and Hurin as in the House of Hurin. And Húrin Thalion, 3rd Lord of Dor-lómin, and Húrin I and II, 5th & 14th Ruling Stewards of Gondor. Húrin seems to have been popular name, despite the tragic life of the original. And the daughter of Húrin of the Keys is Morwen, mentioned in The Peoples of Middle-earth, HoME vol 12. And the same book mentions another Morwen, daughter of Belecthor I, 15th Ruling Steward of Gondor, and grandmother of Egalmoth, 18th Ruling Steward of Gondor. - Barbara

Glad to see you're interested It's not so much that I was looking to join a challenge but rather that I read this one and was hit by several ideas that would not be ignored. Grrr... I think I should start flinging some nuzguls of my own since I have far too many ideas about Faramir and Eowyn's family and not enough time to write them all myself! Jacks

Thanks for the nitpicky detail, Barbara. Being at work (without my trusty copy of LOTR) tends to diminish my canon accuracy... Thanks, Meril

I think I'm going to force myself to brainstorm right now, and then begin writing a story for this. The only other challenge I have actually done is the "Sweet Child of MIne" nazgul, and that story is still in beta.

Jacks, I think I should start flinging some nuzguls of my own since I have far too many ideas about Faramir and Eowyn's family and not enough time to write them all myself! Really! Fling them out, do! I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Stewards fan and I might just know a few others out there who would be interested. I've never tried any 4th Age stuff (am quite stuck in the pre HoH era) & perhaps I ought to get a start. Why don't you stick 'em up over at the prospective challenges and we'll all have a look? Meanwhile, *groan* I can't believe I've tripped my way into not one but two challenges in a single day. What a hazardous place this is. Mithril armour clearly not working. Meril, be warned! cheers nrink

nrink wrote: Meril, be warned! Mwahaha... Cheers, Meril

Perhaps even more significantly, there's Hurin of the keys and Hurin as in the House of Hurin. And Húrin Thalion, 3rd Lord of Dor-lómin, and Húrin I and II, 5th & 14th Ruling Stewards of Gondor. Húrin seems to have been popular name, despite the tragic life of the original.
Gee, if we're going for some of the "H" names , there's Háma, younger son of Helm Hammerhand and Háma, captain of Théoden's household guard (also referred to as Doorward of Théoden). Then we have a gender-bender name: Haleth (aka the Lady Haleth), daughter of Haldad and twin sister of Haldar; and Haleth, the elder son of Helm Hammerhand who fell defending the doors of Meduseld. ~Nessime

Hmmmm.... I just noticed that no one is named after most 1st Age Noldorin princes, except for Turgon. Why not, do you think? Obviously they were named after Elves, since Voronwe, Beleg, and Dior were all Elves, and Noldor are not off limit, either, since Voronwe and Turgon were both Noldor. Honestly though, who is going to name their kid Feanor?

Arandil wrote: Honestly though, who is going to name their kid Feanor? ~Meril

*sigh* Yes, it was inevitable I would have to write a story connecting Faramir son of Denethor and Faramir son of Ondoher (the one who ran off secretly to battle, got himself killed and caused all that fuss when Arvedui tried to claim the crown). I just couldn't see how to do it until last night. Off to get my placeholder. And who knows when it will be written, since I still seem to be acquiring nuzguls, yet actual fic output is zero at the moment Cheers, Liz

And who knows when it will be written, since I still seem to be acquiring nuzguls, yet actual fic output is zero at the moment Oh, that won't do at all! Anything we can do to help? Make tea? Feed you chocolates? Play inspiring music (I do have this 3-CD soundtrack somewhere... lovely music)? Amanda (happily immune to this particular nuzgul)

And who knows when it will be written, since I still seem to be acquiring nuzguls, yet actual fic output is zero at the moment You have my sympathies. I'm in exactly the same predicament. ;-P nrink

Hi folks, It occured to me as I was trying to talk someone into joining this challenge today that Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell could also be used, as it is not solid canon that they are one person. Karri

Honestly though, who is going to name their kid Feanor? The same person who would name their kid Turin. I think bringing a curse of doom down on all your relatives -- and maybe your entire race -- is way less dodgy than sleeping with your sister. I'd name my kid Feanor over Turin.

The same person who would name their kid Turin. I think bringing a curse of doom down on all your relatives -- and maybe your entire race -- is way less dodgy than sleeping with your sister. I'd name my kid Feanor over Turin. Very dodgy indeed. Turin had several other names though: Neithian (the "Wronged"), Gorthol (the "Dreaded Helm"), Agarwaen Umarth (the "Bloodstained" / "Ill fortune's child"), Adanedhel ("Elf-man"), Mormegil (the "Black Sword") and of course the famous Turambar ("Master of Doom"). Poor bloke. cheers, nrink

Ah, Turin. Poor bloke indeed (and I love him dearly. He = one of my favorite Silm characters). Had to change his name like some people change their hair-color. Maybe if he lived nowadays he would have been one of those people. I would totally call my kid Neithian, or perhaps Agarwaen Umarth. There is nothing strange about calling your child "The Bloodstained" or "Ill-fortune's child." Really. Hmmmm... Another nuzgul perhaps... Awful M-e Names.... What happened to that poor kid whose mother called him Agarwaen?

Adanedhel ("Elf-man") Technically speaking, wouldn't this mean that Adanedhel and Elladan could be paired? Karri

Technically speaking, wouldn't this mean that Adanedhel and Elladan could be paired? ;-) The challenge wording looks wide enough. Gypsum said: I would totally call my kid Neithian, or perhaps Agarwaen Umarth. There is nothing strange about calling your child "The Bloodstained" or "Ill-fortune's child." Really. *chortle* There was an old Chinese tradition by the way, of giving children pretty awful names so that the gods won't get jealous of them. So, calling your kid "Sleeping Beauty" for example, is just tempting fate. nrink

Challenge Closing Soon!

Oh no! This Challenge closes in just a few days, and it's two stories shy of going public! We can't let this wonderful idea get eaten up by the  Nuzgul in that hutch, can we?

Check out the list of names that Meril posted at the top of this thread, and find a pair that suits your fancy. All you have to do is write a short story about one of those characters and their namesakes. It can be sad, angsty, even funny!

Don't let this Challenge slip away! Polish up your stories and enter them today!

Challenge Closes: August 12.

~Nienna

Re: Challenge Closing Soon!

Well, I have only a drabble to contribute, and an AU drabble at that , but I do so gladly!

"Only A Hobbit", a drabble for Aranel Took's third long story, her not yet posted, but eagerly awaited WIP "The Wanderers" has been entered into the "Namesakes" Challenge. 

It features three (3!) Boromirs in 100 words.

Check it out! And I really hope that the last entry that allows this Challenge to go public can be found until August 12!

Yours
Juno

Hi Nienna!

Oh no! This Challenge closes in just a few days, and it's two stories shy of going public!

I can't commit to anything new, but I do have a drabble that may fit the challenge... especially if you only need one story to go public.

The drabble is Ambush in Ithilien; it is about Faramir from LoTR. The only reason that I am unsure whether it qualifies for the challenge is that the earlier Faramir is only mentioned in the footnotes.

Let me know if you feel it qualifies. If it does, and you still need a story, I will enter it.

- Barbara

Let me know if you feel it qualifies. If it does, and you still need a story, I will enter it.

Hmm... Yes, I do think it fits. Since you're drawing a connection between the place where, fighting Sauron's servants, the first Faramir died and where the second Faramir will fight more of Sauron's minions. Actually, I think it fits well.

Go ahead and enter it!   Yay! I think this Challenge is now going public!

~Nienna

Go ahead and enter it! Yay! I think this Challenge is now going public!

Done. I really thought this was an intrigung challenge, and am very pleased that it will go public!

- Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions