Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant

The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant

The challenge is posted! Discuss all stories about those wonderful Sons of Elrond fighting with Eorl's men in that epic battle! Always, Allie

Re: The Sons of Elrond at the Field of Celebrant

Thanks, Allie! Here are a few entries in the Resources Library that will provide background information and perhaps inspiration, as well: Celebrían departs over Sea The Invasion of Calenardhon by Balchoth and Orcs: Overview The Ride of Eorl to the Battle of the Field of Celebrant The Battle of the Field of Celebrant I look forward to reading your stories! - Barbara

Hi everyone! I am finally getting my Muse to cooperate on this challenge, and would like to request your help, if I may! I am working on a series of drabbles about the Twins' participation in the Battle of the Field of Celebrant. Each drabble will be from the POV of a single character, whether a participant in the battle or a "witness" of some sort (before or after the fact...). Right now, I'm brainstorming ideas for POVs other than the ordinary, expected ones (e.g. the participants in the battle). Here are a few that I've thought of: Before the battle: Elrond, having a premonition of his sons in a great battle as he leaves the ship on which Celebrían is sailing... At the battle: Félarof, Lord of Horses, while carrying his Rider (aka Eorl) into battle... After the battle: The Balchoth (Easterlings) back home, who are wondering why their warriors never returned from the glorious adventure that Sauron sent them on... Well, you get the idea! I don't know that I will actually be able to write drabbles for all the POVs I'll think up, but I think my Muse might be inspired by seeing all the interesting possibilities. If you have any ideas for a character who might have an alternate POV about the Twins or the Battle, please share them here! Thank you! - Barbara

Hi Barbara If you have any ideas for a character who might have an alternate POV about the Twins or the Battle, please share them here! Arwen sending her brothers off to battle or welcoming them back. Cirion sending for aid, wondering if it will come, or hearing news of the victory. Galadriel or Celeborn - I'm sure their grandsons passed through Lorien on the way to the battle or the way back. And didn't Galadriel send a mist to cover the Ride of Eorl? HTH and looking forward to seeing your drabble series. Cheers, Liz

Arwen sending her brothers off to battle or welcoming them back. *Barbara scribbles this onto the list...* Check. Cirion sending for aid, wondering if it will come, or hearing news of the victory. Check. (Hmmm, wasn't he there at the battle? I think Borondir the Stirrupless -- and yes, he's on the list, funny name and all -- dashes to Cirion's side as soon as they arrive... *Mutters to self* Must research more...) Edit: Yes, Cirion was indeed a participant in the battle itself. Galadriel or Celeborn - I'm sure their grandsons passed through Lorien on the way to the battle or the way back. And didn't Galadriel send a mist to cover the Ride of Eorl? Check, check, and Mist: check. HTH and looking forward to seeing your drabble series. Yes, it does indeed help, Liz. Thank you! (And so far, I have exactly one drabble nearly done... which does not a series make...) - Barbara

I'd like to say a little bit more about what inspired this challenge. Tolkien originally mentioned that the sons of Elrond fought in the battle in his earlier writings, but apparently abandoned the concept before The Lord of the Rings was published, much to my displeasure. I am still intrigued by the idea of them fighting, and the fact that this battle occurred apparently within months after their mother, Celebrían, sailed to the Undying Lands because of her torment at the hands of Orcs. These are the two early quotes that inspired me: In the forefront of the charge they saw two great horsemen, clad in grey, unlike all the others, and the Orcs fled before them; but when the battle was won they could not be found, and none knew whence they came or whither they went. But in Rivendell it was recorded that these were the sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir. The Peoples of Middle-Earth, HoME Vol 12, Part 1, Ch 9, The Making of Appendix A: The House of Eorl With his aid the great victory of the Field of Celebrant is won. Elladan and Elrohir rode also in that battle. From that time forth the brethren never cease from war with the Orcs because of Celebrían. The Peoples of Middle-Earth, HoME Vol 12, Part 1, Ch 8, The Tale of Years of the Third Age Hope you find them inspiring, too! - Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions