Forum: Nuzgûl of the Month Forum

Discussing: Nuzgûl of the Month December 2010

Nuzgûl of the Month December 2010

December's Nuzgûl of the Month is The Passing of Narsil: Aragorn tells Hama at Edoras that "Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time." So how did it get from a dwarf of Nogrod in the Time of the Trees to Elendil?

Re: Nuzgûl of the Month December 2010

I shall have to see what I can wring out of the muses- if I don't get it written by the 31st, will it still be allowed?

I don't see why not; it's not as if I managed to wring anything out of the Muse myself so far Roll eyes

Jolly good.

Jeeves! Fetch me the pliers and the weed-whacker, I've a Muse to persuade...

;)

Interesting approach You little devil!

Unfortunately my muse can hear pliers being deployed from miles away. Now where did I leave that extra-sticky fly-paper?

It used to be much easier- a pair of thumbscrews, a red-hot branding iron... seems the contrary old blighter seems all too happy to give out the ideas these days and then not give me the endings!

She probably got tired of it all, and turned the table on you by inflicting some pain of her own...

I managed to get a drabble out of her in the end- but only by promising her I'd write more in 2011 than I did in 2010... oops...

And I seem to have picked up inspiration as well (without making over-rash promises)...

Oh, hurrah- the fic I ended up with was "What Was Broken", if you care...

No story from me this time, but I found an interesting canon tidbit in "A Description of the Isle of Numenor" (UT):

The King's sword was indeed Aranrúth, the sword of Elu Thingol of Doriath in Beleriand, that had descended to Elros from Elwing his mother. Other heirlooms there were beside: the Ring of Barahir; the great Axe of Tuor, father of Eärendil; and the Bow of Bregor of the House of Bëor. Only the Ring of Barahir father of Beren One-hand survived the Downfall; for it was given by Tar-Elendil to his daughter Silmarien and was preserved in the House of the Lords if Andunië, of whom the last was Elendil the Faithful who fled from the wrack of Númenor to Middle-earth.

I'd thought that Narsil came to Elendil through Elros & Silmarien, but apparently not (for it surely would have been among the "heirlooms").  Perhaps Narsil stayed in Middle Earth through the Second Age?  That would make for an interesting part of its history - but my muse is silent

Hadn't seen it yet So embarassed!  *rushes over*

Now there's really only one thing I can say Wink

"Hmmm."

(d&rlh)

I like it (no, really). The use of 'newborn' rather than 'newly-made' or something like that is very suggestive of the relationship between Dwarves and their work.

(Oh, and please enter it in the Workshop's Playlist.)

[...] an interesting canon tidbit in "A Description of the Isle of Numenor" (UT): [...]

I'd thought that Narsil came to Elendil through Elros & Silmarien, but apparently not (for it surely would have been among the "heirlooms").  Perhaps Narsil stayed in Middle Earth through the Second Age?  That would make for an interesting part of its history - but my muse is silent

I was aware of that tidbit, but it does raise the question of how Narsil came to Elendil. Something else that is interesting are the other items known to have been made by Telchar: not only Hador's Helm but also Angrist (how does Curufin come to have a Dwarvish knife?)

So far, I've only got bits of research and a half-formed Nuzgûl myself, so anything I write for this Challenge will be very late.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Nuzgûl of the Month Forum