Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Conjugation and pronouns?

Conjugation and pronouns?

I have no idea how much of this I'm actually going to use, but I wanted to conjugate the verb "to forgive."

From Ardalambion I got:

gohena- "forgive" (with person forgiven as object; contrast díhena-); inf. goheno, pr.t. gohena, pa.t. gohenne- (3 sg gohenn), fut. gohenatha, imp. goheno, part. gohenol (perfective gohíniel), pp. gohennen (pl. gehennin), ger. gohenad

So taking the rules, as best I understand them, for adding endings, I came up with:

present:

gohenan -- I forgive
gohenach -- you forgive
gohena -- he/she/it forgives
gohenam -- we forgive
gohenach -- you forgive (gohenal?)
gohenar -- they forgive

past:

gohennen -- I forgave
gohennech -- you forgave
gohenn -- he/she/it forgave
gohennem -- we forgave
gohennar -- you forgave
gohenner -- they forgave

future:

gohenathaon -- I will forgive (or drop the last a, so, gohenathon?)
gohenathach -- you will forgive
gohenatha -- he/she/it will forgive
gohenatham -- we will forgive
gohenathech -- you will forgive
gohenathar -- they will forgive

Am I anywhere close?

Also, I'm confused by pronoun use, specifically, when a pronoun should be combined with a verb for the speaker, or how they can be used as objects?

If I wanted to say: "I forgive you"

Gohenan le -- I forgive thee? or
Im gohenach -- I you forgive?

Or, more likely, something completely different?

Would it be different if you used a proper name instead of "you?" Is "Gohenan John" proper for "I forgive John?"

Thanks,
Melina

Re: Conjugation and pronouns?

gohenan -- I forgive

Should be gohenon.

gohenach -- you forgive (gohenal?)

Definitely not gohenal; -l is a Quenya second-person ending. As for singular versus plural, I think that -ch has been accepted to cover both, post-movie.

gohenathaon -- I will forgive (or drop the last a, so, gohenathon?)

Should be gohenathon: the first-person ending -n always forces the -a to umlaut to -o-.

gohenathech -- you will forgive

Should also be gohenathach.

Everything else looks good.

As for pronouns -- the ending added to the verb indicates the subject of the sentence, and a pronoun is used as the object. Between your two examples, Gohenon le (note the spelling) would be the correct construction. And yes, you can replace the pronoun with any noun as the object of a verb -- but keep in mind that a noun used as an object will have its initial consonant lenited.

Re: Conjugation and pronouns?

Thank you very much!

I fear I have no prayer of ever understanding the mutations, though, so if I constructed any phrases myself, I'd get it looked over first. Four years of French is not much help there.

Melina

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda