Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: a couple of Quenya and Sindarin translation questions

a couple of Quenya and Sindarin translation questions

Can anyone tell me, or reasonably extrapolate, the Quenya and Sindarin words for the english word 'mender' - a noun, meaning someone who generally fixes things rather than a tailor or carpenter? Also, is the word ARANDUR, which I believe means King's servant and is an archaic term for Steward of Gondor, Sindarin? And does ARANDIL mean King's friend in Sindarin? Thanx much. RAKSHA

Re: a couple of Quenya and Sindarin translation questions

Neo-Sindarin for “mender” _penídir_ – mender (from _penía -_ to fix, to set) (as previously posted in # 24955 Terms Translations thread. It’s a long thread, you may have missed it. Sorry for re-posting if this is not what you were looking for.) Also, is the word ARANDUR, which I believe means King's servant and is an archaic term for Steward of Gondor, Sindarin? _ARANDUR_ is “King’s servant” in Quenya. Perhaps _Ârvuidir_ for a Neo-Sindarin equivalent? Âr+ buia + dir (b > v lenition; liberties taken by leaving out the ‘a’) And does ARANDIL mean King's friend in Sindarin? It means King’s friend in Quenya. Perhaps _Ârvellon_ for a Neo-Sindarin equivalent? Âr+ mellon (m>v lenition) If the usage is Gondorian or Númenorian the Quenya terms above would be fine, but for Sindarin speaking Elves I would (personally) use a Neo-Sindarin construction. Hope this helps, Ithildin *(

Re: a couple of Quenya and Sindarin translation questions

Oh, thanx much. And if I was the one who posted in Terms Translations, forgive the redudancy. I thought I might have asked it before, but couldn't remember where. RAKSHA THE GRATEFUL DEMON

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda