Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Quick question - adjective "of Gondor"

Quick question - adjective "of Gondor"

Please help!! Thank you so much in advance.
I really am not lazy. I just wasted an inordinate amount of time looking for the adjective for "of Gondor" -- Gondoran, Gondorian, something else? I'm sure it's either unbelievably obvious or easy to find, or both, but I can't find it!

Oshun

Re: Quick question - adjective

the adjective for "of Gondor" -- Gondoran, Gondorian, something else? I'm sure it's either unbelievably obvious or easy to find, or both, but I can't find it

I thought this would be easy as well, and was stunned to find that it does not show up at all in RotK, where they are pretty consistenly called "men of Gondor".

However, all is not lost. JRRT calles them "Gondorians".

64 To Christopher Tolkien 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford
30 April 1944 (FS 20)

But at moment they are in Ithilien (which is proving a lovely land); there has been a lot of bother about stewed rabbit; and they have been captured by Gondorians, and witnessed them ambushing a Swerting army (dark men of South) marching to Mordor's aid.

144 To Naomi Mitchison
[Mrs Mitchison had been reading page-proofs of the first two volumes of The Lord of the Rings, and wrote to Tolkien with a number of questions about the book.]
25 April 1954

Rohir-rim is the Elvish (Gondorian) name for the people that called themselves Riders of the Mark or Eorlings.  

256 From a letter to Colin Bailey 13 May 1964

I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going round doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow – but it would be just that.

I think that's pretty definitive.

Gwynnyd 

Well, in addition to Gwynnyd's quotes, I found this:

"Another point was that the Stewards retained under their own rule the Tower of Orthanc and the Ring of Isengard (Angrenost); the keys of Orthanc were taken to Minas Tirith, the Tower was shut, and the Ring of Isengard re­mained manned only by an hereditary Gondorian chieftain and his small people, to whom were joined the old hereditary guards of Aglarond."

Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 5, The Battles of the Fords of Isen: Appendix

"The line of the Gondorian chieftains of Angrenost had failed, and the command of the fortress passed into the hands of a family of the people."

Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 5, The Battles of the Fords of Isen: Appendix

In both these cases, "Gondorian" is used as an adjective, so I agree with Gwynnyd. It's official!

- Barbara

Hey, thanks so very much. I really did look and look. Your references are great!

Oshun

Thanks again and again the references are impeccable. Now I don't feel so bad that I couldn't find it!

Oshun

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda