Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Help with bad Elvish

Help with bad Elvish

Elen silva lummenn'oltimovo is, I know, extreamly bad elvish and is supposed to be as such.

My question is, does it mean anything, or sound similer to something meaningful? It doesn't really matter if it doesn't, but it's an extra joke.

Thanks,

Soubrettina

Re: Help with bad Elvish

Hi Soubrettina,

I don't know of the joke that you are referring to, nor if the misspelling is part of it, so I may be missing something, but here is what is said in the book:

"'I thank you indeed, Gildor Inglorion,' said Frodo bowing. 'Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting,' he added in the high-elven speech."

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 1, Ch 3, Three Is Company

So that is the proper phrase and its translation. "High-elven speech" is, of course, Quenya.

Hope this helps!

- Barbara

Hmm. Well........ it wasn't exactly what I needed to know. It is delibarately.... oh never mind. Thank you for replying.

The only other direct quote I remembered that sounds vaguely similar is one from the Silmarilion where Fingon hears the trumpets of his brother Turgon and he shouts: "Utúlie'n Aurë!" The day has come! And those who heard him called back: "Auta I Lomë!" The night is passing! I don't know if this would help you at all.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda