Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Name for a Beorning?

Name for a Beorning?

Hi all,

I've been researching the Beornings to learn what language they would have spoken and so what sort of name a Beorning would have, but it's been difficult. As far as I've learned, the language was an ancestor or a variation of Adunaic, but I've found enough leeway or variations in explanations to still wonder. Would it be safe to use an Adunaic name? 

thanks,

docmon 

Re: Name for a Beorning?

>>As far as I've learned, the language was an ancestor or a variation of Adunaic, but I've found enough leeway or variations in explanations to still wonder.

According to POME, p 272, the Beornings are related to the Rohirrim, and that language was specifically separate from the evolution of Adunaic/Westron. However, they spoke Westron in the Third Age, and I wonder how much of their language they retained.

Re: Name for a Beorning?

Well, what have we got for Beorning names?  Beorn and his son, Grimbeorn.  Beorn is Old English for "warrior," based on a root meaning "bear" (see also Beowulf, "bee-wolf," i.e., bear).  Since Tolkien "translated" the language of Rohan as Old English, then you probably want to stick with names based on OE for the Beornings as well.

Google just popped up a nice site with specifically OE names (search terms: Old English names), with translations, which would make it easy to avoid all the Elf-compounds.  There's a good run of Beornhelm and so on, too, if you want to stick close to established territory.

Cheers--

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda