Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Hidden Fortress in Sindarin

Hidden Fortress in Sindarin

Using Hisweloke, I came up with "Ost-Thurin" as a translation for Hidden Fortress.

Can anyone verify that I've got it right, or improve upon it? Would it more likely be made into a compound (it is the name of a long-existing structure in my tale), and if so, how would that be modified? I put in a hyphen and established the order of noun-adjective using "Barad-Dur" as the model.

Any help is much appreciated.

Gandalfs apprentice

Re: Hidden Fortress in Sindarin

Hi GA!

I put in a hyphen and established the order of noun-adjective using "Barad-Dur" as the model.

I am *sooo* not a language expert, so take what I say with a shaker of salt, but it seems to be that the -os(t) often goes at the end of the name, like:

Angrenost
Belegost
Carchost
Formenos
Fornost
Mandos

On the other hand, there is:

Nargothrond (from Narog-ost-rond)
Ost-in-edhil
Osgiliath (from Ostgiliath)

So, I would model your name after whichever one(s) seem most similar to you.

- Barbara

Thanks! It hadn't even occurred to me that those names were using the same "ost" word, that's how nonexistent my Elvish is! Since my hidden fortress belongs to the Northern Dunedain, I'm picking the Fornost model: Thurinost. 

Thanks so much.

G.A.

You're welcome, GA!

Thanks! It hadn't even occurred to me that those names were using the same "ost" word, that's how nonexistent my Elvish is!

Hmmm, should I let you in on my secret, or just keep quiet and look intelligent?

Oh, well, intelligence is over-rated, anyway:

I got all those names from the os(t) entry of the Silmarillion Appendix, called "Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names". It doesn't always have the info I'd like (for example, I'd like to know what is the root of -ían, as in Celebrían), but it often helps.

- Barbara

'Celebrían' comes from celeb and rían and translates as 'silver queen'.

And afaik the root of rían is rig.

Thanks for the tip! I ought to become more familiar with the Sil Appendix, it seems.

G.A.

'Celebrían' comes from celeb and rían and translates as 'silver queen'.

Thanks for the info, Nath!

And afaik the root of rían is rig.

Ah, is this the same rig- that means 'twine, wreath'? (Which I found in the entry for kal-... go figure!)

(So, -riel, as in Galadriel, is 'garlanded maiden'.)

It would make sense, if you think of a Queen as having some sort of crown....

- Barbara

Ah, is this the same rig- that means 'twine, wreath'?

Yes, it is...

So, -riel, as in Galadriel, is 'garlanded maiden'. yep, or if you want to be precise 'maiden crowned with a radiant garland' (i.e. her hair)

yep, or if you want to be precise 'maiden crowned with a radiant garland' (i.e. her hair)

Er, actually, riel is 'garlanded maiden', and Al(a)táriel is 'maiden crowned with a radiant garland', from alata 'radiance'.

The Silm Appendix told me so or I certainly wouldn't know!

(For those of you who don't keep track, Altáriel is Galadriel's name in Quenya... which is why this is under kal (gal) in the Appendix....)

Thanks for helping me find the right root to search for, Nath!

- Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda