Forum: 2011 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: January 2012 Birthday Cards

January 2012 Birthday Cards

Happy New Year, HASA members all over the world!

Please be advised that it may take a few days to put up a workshop for this year's birthday challenges - but for now, you can use this forum just the way you are used to. I will inform you as soon as there's a workshop.

WaveETA: The new workshop for this year's birthday challenges is up und running: go here. Instructions of how to join and work with a workshop are there, as well.

And, as always, if you have any comments, questions or suggestions, make a post here in the forum or drop me a mail, and I'll do my best to help!

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in January and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time!

January, 3rd - Imhiriel: I'd like to read a story about Ithilien or about Doriath - any time, any genre, any characters, but, if possible, something good or happy or beautiful.

January, 7th - Jay of Lasgalen: ...this year I'd like drabbles about the Fellowship, please.

During the long months of the Ring war and its aftermath, several members of the Fellowship must have celebrated birthdays.  How did they mark the day?  Did they remember other years?  Did other members of the company know about it?  Perhaps they lost track of the date and missed the day!

Re: January 2012 Birthday Cards

My birthday is on the 3rd, and I'd like to read a story about Ithilien or about Doriath - any time, any genre, any characters, but, if possible, something good or happy or beautiful.

Imhiriel

Happy Birthday, Imhiriel! I hope you enjoy this glimpse of Doriath.

Light

Flowering hemlock umbels gleam palely in grey glades among tall birch trees. Silvery white, foggy grey, darkest green, shadowed black.

She dances. Her arms, her face shimmer white. Her dress, pale as wispy fog, clings to her limbs. Her hair flows around her, black as the shadows under the deep green of the trees.

There are brighter colours back in Menegroth, the bright reds, yellows, blues and greens that appear only in light of lamp or torch. She cares not. The stars are all the light she needs to dance.

He plays for her. While she dances, who needs light?

What a lovely tale, Nath!

Hi, Imhiriel!  Happy belated birthday!  Thought I'd try something a little different, set in the "early" days of the realm.

Mirdan i Doriath

My cousin approaches me and kneels.  His bearing shows both a deference that is not fawning and a dignity that is not pride.  So like my brothers, yet so different.

"Rise, kinsman, and speak."

"I have brought you a gift, Elwë."

"A sword, by the look of it."  My smile is somewhat strained - I have more than a dozen swords already, and well he knows this.

But within a minute I know it to be the finest blade I have ever laid eyes on, much less held.  Elbereth's stars!  It is at once light as a night-breeze, and heavy enough to cleave stone, if I am any judge of steel.  

"Have you named it, Eöl?  I know you could not leave such brilliance nameless."  

He bows, with twinkling eyes.  "I have named it for that which I have so oft earned from you, my Lord.  Aranruth.  King's Ire.  I do but gift it back."

I laugh, bid my cousin sit beside me, and for a while we are friends again - all insults, real and imagined, forgotten. 

I do believe that was the only time he called me anything other than Elwë.

My birthday is January 7th, and this year I'd like drabbles about the Fellowship, please.

During the long months of the Ring war and its aftermath, several members of the Fellowship must have celebrated birthdays.  How did they mark the day?  Did they remember other years?  Did other members of the company know about it?  Perhaps they lost track of the date and missed the day!

Happy Birthday, Jay!

"Happy Birthday!" Merry didn't know what reaction he had expected, but it certainly wasn't a sigh and a gloomy expression. "Pippin! What is it?"

"I hoped you'd forget."

"Forget? Why?"

"I did myself; forget, that is. Until this morning," Pippin looked quite distressed.

"But you remembered, didn't you?"

"But I have no presents for anyone."

"Do you really think that matters, Pippin? Frodo and Sam will understand, and no one else here knows our customs that well."

"But I would know. And I think Strider knows about hobbit birthdays. And Gandalf."

Now it was Merry's turn to sigh. "Stubborn Took."

Ah, poor Pip.  Of course he'd want to be able to give presents to all the Company ... firmly squashes plot Nazgúl.

Thank you for this delightful snippet!

Glad you liked it:-)

*looks sadly at squished plot Nazgúl*

May apologies to all my fellow January babies whose requests I have been lax in answering- please be assured that you will get stories by the end of the month.

And whilst I'm at it, might I request tales involving snow in some way? Looking out of my window at all this rain is really rather depressing...

(Oh, and because I forgot to mention... my birthday is tomorrow (17/01)?)

The new workshop for this year's birthday challenges is up und running: go here. I'm about to edit the starter post to add the link, but this post serves as a special heads up for those of you who are receiving forum emails or don't keep checking the starter post for eventual updates.

Don't forget to join the workshop to be able to work with it - instructions are at the link. But if you need more help, just holler for me Wave.

Imhiriel

Thanks so much, Nath! This is exactly what I had in mind with my request, and you even went way beyond how "beautiful" I imagined a scene! Every sentence - every phrase, almost - shows a glimpse to awe the inner eye.

Imhiriel
...enchanted...

Maeglin,

thank you very much for your good wishes and your tale!

Who would have thought any story involving Eöl could be anything other than gloom and doom and actually be lighthearted, even? And who would have thought Eöl had a sense of humour and will & mind for such an elaborate and sneaky pun Smile.

That's a very inventive way to explain the name of the sword; I think I might add it to my personal canon.

Imhiriel

Thank you :-)

Thanks, Imhiriel!  Glad you liked it

Possibly not the good or happy or beautiful that was asked for... but I hope you will accept this fic and my apologies for its lateness anyway, Imhiriel.

We shift from foot to foot, uneasy.

It is but a wood, our Master tells us- naught but a forest, naught but trees, naught but firewood.

He will rage at us for our fear, threaten us with all kinds of punishment for our cowardice, curse us for our terror.

It is naught, and we are but fools...

...but looking upon it, upon the bodies of our allies that the shrubbery has grown over, upon the skeletons of of our fellows that the trees have grown around, of the skulls of our comrades that the branches and roots have grown through...

It is called Doriath, in the language of the Elves.

"The Fence."

We shall not pass it.

Before I write something out of canon... did the Proessor ever mention actual dates for the birthdays of the Fellowship? I have a few Nuzgûl running around my ankles as we speak, after all, but I should not wish to make mistakes with someone's birthday present.

Look what happened to Déagol when he did that, after all...

Wink

As far as I know, the only canonical birthdays for the Fellowship are 1st March for Aragorn, and 22nd September for Frodo.  I don't think Tolkien ever gave a date of birth for the other members, or even a year of birth for Legolas (or Gandalf, but he was one of the Istari ...)

In the absence of evidence, I assume facts can be made up :>)

Jay

Thanks, Jay. With your help, your fic will not now be long in coming! Smile

Many apologies for this being so late, Jay- but many thanks also for the help you gave me in writing it. I hope it is what you wanted- just complain if it is not!

It is only later- looking out at a moon bruised by treetops- that I realise what day it is.

The seventeenth.

Looking round at the room the Elves have given me with an appraising eye, I suppose there are worse places to spend a birthday.

In happier days and happier lands, this should have been cause for a celebration, I think.

The halls of my father should have rung with mirth and merriment.

Unbidden, the Thing springs to mind- towering over the Wizard the last time I saw him, shadow-winged and slimy, fire and fury and filth and foulness, that hellish roar echoing back at me from a thousand million angles...

I shudder and turn away from the window.

As soft a bed as the Elves have provided me this night, I shall sleep ill.

They did not even leave me my axe to ward off nightmares.

All things considered, I have had better birthdays...

Poor Gimli - how different the elven flets must be to the caves and caverns of his home.  And they didn't even leave him his axe!  (Though that might be a good idea if he decided to battle the Balrog in his dreams ...)

The opening line is lovely - so atmospheric:  a moon bruised by treetops.   Thank you, Aruthir!!

Glad you enjoyed the story, Jay!

Happy birthday, and apologies that this is late, but the muse was hiding from the rain...

Snow. She just couldn't like it, no matter how pretty it looked in the sunlight.

"Come out here, mother! It's fun!" her daughter called, waving to her.

No. She did not mind them playing, but they would have just as much fun without her. Likely the memory of the Grinding Ice coloured her perceptions, yet she had no desire to confront this particular dislike. Yet it felt churlish to stay inside as her husband and daughter frolicked in the freshly-fallen snow.

Again, an insistent wave and a call to join them.

With a sigh, Galadriel gave in and went outside.

Many thanks for the story, Nath- just the sort of think to have me checking the clouds! Smile

Possibly not the good or happy or beautiful that was asked for... but I hope you will accept this fic and my apologies for its lateness anyway, Imhiriel.

You could say that Grin! On the other hand, it was beautifully spooky Eeeek!! And when I have this idea of a beautiful Doriath in my mind (for example the one Nath gifted me with), the shudder-inducing effect of the scene you painted is even greater. So I thank you very muchfor that wonderful juxtaposition, Aruthir, and for giving me such a rare and different PoV of Doriath.

Imhiriel

Glad you enjoyed it, Imhiriel- and who knows, perhaps next year will see a happier tale, eh? Smile

Exactly a month late-- Happy Belated Birthday, Imhiriel! I hope it was a nice birthday, and sorry my little offering is so incredibly late. It's not particularly beautiful, but at least it has Ithilien in it ;-) Thanks for all your work in the forums!

"Why does your silence always say so much?" Isildur asked, skipping a pebble. "Why still afraid? He is gone!"

"Maybe, but not the strife he bred, as you have lately seen. Unless that wound is a farce?"

Isildur looked away.

"And you would build here, where his minions still lurk?"

"I wonder what they call these springs?" Isildur asked, stooping as a bluejay flew above him. "Listen. You, more than anyone, should know how evil festers unless fought."

"I had wished the fighting over."

"We can either cower and let it spread. Or uproot it. Which will it be?"

Elendil was the High King and dwelt in the North at Annúminas; and the rule in the South was committed to his sons, Isildur and Anárion. They founded there Osgiliath, between Minas Ithil and Minas Anor, not far from the confines of Mordor." (The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A: Annals of the Kings and Rulers)

Thank you so much, Starlight, for this birthday present, and I apologise in my turn for replying so late!

Thank you for filling in one of the gaps in the history of Ithilien and choosing such a rarely-visited time in canon. And I really like the contrast between the sombre, foreboding subject of the discussion and the lovely, peaceful landscape they are having it in.

Imhiriel

This is for the three of you, Imhiriel, Jay, and Aruthir.  I hope it gives pleasure in spite of being so late in coming!

Warmed by the Glow of Stars

She'd seen many a beautiful sight in her life—snow on the peaks of the mountains beyond Edoras, colts running alongside their dams across the fields of Rohan in the late spring, the greening of trees at the foot of the mountains in the distance.  But now she was seeing new beauties as she looked across the River at the distant blue-green blur of Ithilien, lying as it did before the darkness of the Mountains of Shadow.

And then he was there beside her, smiling deeply at her with his calm, clear grey eyes.  "Captain Elfhelm tells me it is your birthday, beloved," he murmurs into her ear.  "I can give you nothing better than my vow of love for you always.  And if you will have me, I tell you this—if my Lord King gives us leave, I shall build a home for us there, in what was known of old as the Garden of Gondor.  Certainly with you beside me it shall become that again, now that the Shadow is departed away forever!"

So saying, he draws the blue mantle more closely about her, and she feels as if the stars with which it is embroidered are singing within her heart!

Larner,

I apologise very much for not replying sooner - I had saved the e-mail notification in my in-box, but somehow it always slipped my mind that I hadn't answered yet.

And that's really a shame, because this is an absolutely beautiful, evocative drabble! It's exactly what I was hoping for, and you have now given me such a lush, vivid picture of one of my favourite places in Middle-earth, and to have Faramir (with his beautiful eyes), Éowyn (with the starry mantle) and their love shining in this picture makes it all the more precious.

Thank you very much!

Imhiriel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2011 - HASA Birthdays