Forum: 2012 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: November 2012 Birthday Cards

November 2012 Birthday Cards

Birthday folks: Is your birthday in November and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. To collect your birthday cards in one place, you can create a birthday workshop story.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! Just like the recipients, you can collect the stories you've written in a  birthday workshop story.

And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the 2012 Birthday Cards Challenge.

Here's a short recap on how to do that:

• Add each birthday present as a chapter in your story, using the story name (and the birthday recipient if there is room) as the story chapter. If you can't fit the person's name into the chapter title, just include it as the first opening line in the chapter.
  • Be sure you give each chapter a number and set the status to public so everyone can read it!
  • Since most birthday card stories are pretty short, you might include the birthday recipient's wish for what kind of story she wanted. Paste it from the forum.
  • In your story summary, you can list out who you've written stories for if you like.
  • It's up to you on the order you want to give your chapters - Alphabetical by recipient, order by month chronologically, newest first, etc.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or send me an e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

November, 1st - Cuinwen: I would like children's stories, that is, the stories children tell each other (in my younger day, it was spooky stories, but what would spook a young troll?).  Tolkien referred to many races and cultures, but said little about their young ones.  I'm interested in children's stories from any race, any era, any location.

Re: November 2012 Birthday Cards

My birthday is November 1st and I would like children's stories, that is, the stories children tell each other (in my younger day, it was spooky stories, but what would spook a young troll?).  Tolkien referred to many races and cultures, but said little about their young ones.  I'm interested in children's stories from any race, any era, any location. 

Happy Birthday, Cuinwen! Hope these children of the Avari are close to what you had in mind.

Hunter

"The Hunter?" Tinmê laughed. "You believe in the Hunter?"

"Tanô says the Hunter is real and his mother has seen him."  Terên looked around the circle of children daring anyone to say they didn't believe her.

"When?" Ailin asked.

"A long time ago, when the Leavers still lived here," Terên replied.

"That's like saying it's made up," Tinmê scoffed. "Every story happened when the Leavers were still here."

"Do you want to tell the story then?" Terên said to Tinmê, who shook his head vigorously. Even if this was made up, Terên was their best storyteller.

Leaning closer to the fire and lowering her voice so the others had to lean in as well, Terên began.

"Twas stormy and wet, and Ninkwi – that's Tanô's mother, for those who don't know – had gone to meet with Belek – Tanô's father – in the forest. And when they were sitting there kissing, suddenly the Hunter appeared on his big white horse and chased them deeper into the forest. They ran and ran, the branches of the trees whipping at their faces and the wind howling behind them." Terên paused and looked at the others.

"Why'd they go into the forest in the first place?" one of the youngest girls asked.

"Because they wanted to kiss each other," Ailin replied.

"Kissing is dumb!" the younger child replied.

"Ssshhh!" Ailin smiled. "Let Terên continue the story."

Terên smiled also, and went on. "They only stopped running when they could no longer hear the Hunter behind them. By now they were very far from the village, and it took them a long time to get back. But when they came near the place where they had been kissing, the forest was all burned, with broken trees and everything, and there were three dead orku there…"

Here is my offering (though it's more related to the date it's posted on);

"Bergil, why's there a mound on the plain?"

The half-man half boy looked down at his charge, still marvelling he'd been entrusted with the little prince. Slowly he dropped down to the boy's level and awkwardly hoisted the child onto one hip so he could have a better view. "Do the adults ever talk about the war?"

The three year old shook his head, black hair bouncing

Bergil smiled "That mound is the resting place of one of the greatest men, Eldarion, as great as your father and Steward Faramir. Theoden King lies there... He was the king of the Rohirrim, as Eomer is now. Carefully he set the boy down and lead him to the seat nearby, boosting him up to sit on the smooth stone.

Once, before you were born, when I was still a young boy and a steward still ruled, there was a great battle on that plain. Theoden rode at the head of 6,000 spears, to rescue our belegrad city... The army he faced numbered 21 times his own

The boy's eyes were like dinner plates, and Bergil paused, knowing his every word was held onto.

Now Theoden had known before he left Dunharrow that his spears would not be enough, though he did not yet know the weight of his opposition. But he had given loyalty to Gondor, and he would not betray us.

He turned away, looking out over the plains "Tis well that he kept to that, else none of us would be here now"

"For this tomorrow, he gave his today"

He thought it was Eldarion speaking, but the voice was too mature. Instead The king stood beside him, Faramir on the other side. As a trio they raised their hands to their hearts

"We will remember them."

Sorry that this is so very late (and possibly not what was asked for!) but it was the best I could get the Muses to come up with. Please let me know if you want something else instead?

"Who is that, Grampa?"

The words stop me in my tracks.

Who is that?

I look at the painting, and I am not sure.

What do I say?

What do I tell him?

"That is... that was my father. Your great-grandfather. Denethor, second Steward of that name."

That is safe enough, I think, safe enough indeed.

I shall not tell any more.

I shall not...

"I like his big nose. It looks like mine"

I smile.

Poor little boy.

I turn my head.

"So does mine."

He tilts his head this way and that, looking at my nose.

I jut my chin out, roll my eyes.

He smiles.

"Silly Grampa."

I smile.

"His nose is much bigger than yours."

I sweep him up into my arms, and he cries out in joy, and it takes inhuman effort not to join him.

When I eventually put him down, he goggles at me, his eyes wide as a puppy's.

"Was he a nice man, Grampa?"

A second passes.

What do I say?

What can I say?

"I..."

He tilts his head, confused.

No.

There will be time enough for that later.

For now.

"He was... very brave."

That seems to satisfy him.

"He would have loved you very much."

I put him down and he smiles up at me, all confusion gone.

"Not as much as I love you, Grampa."

I would say something, but his mother calls, and he scampers off, leaving me alone with my memories.

Yes, there will be time enough for that later.

A tear runs down an old man's face for now.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2012 - HASA Birthdays