Forum: 2013 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: July 2013 Birthday Cards

July 2013 Birthday Cards

Birthday folks: Is your birthday in July and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. To collect your birthday cards in one place, you can create a birthday workshop story.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! Just like the recipients, you can collect the stories you've written in a  birthday workshop story.

And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the 2013 Birthday Cards Challenge.

Here's a short recap on how to do that:

• Add each birthday present as a chapter in your story, using the story name (and the birthday recipient if there is room) as the story chapter. If you can't fit the person's name into the chapter title, just include it as the first opening line in the chapter.
  • Be sure you give each chapter a number and set the status to public so everyone can read it!
  • Since most birthday card stories are pretty short, you might include the birthday recipient's wish for what kind of story she wanted. Paste it from the forum.
  • In your story summary, you can list out who you've written stories for if you like.
  • It's up to you on the order you want to give your chapters - Alphabetical by recipient, order by month chronologically, newest first, etc.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or send me an e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

HASA Birthday:

This July is HASA's eleventh birthday, and we would like a drabble about drinking mishaps.

For instance, the Breelanders first think Frodo is a bit too deep in his cups when he jumps on the table to perform in the Prancing Pony, so something about a character embarrassing him/herself under the influence. Or perhaps someone has no money to pay their bar tab, or they find themselves in a pub with no beer...

Re: July 2013 Birthday Cards

This July is HASA's eleventh birthday, and we would like a drabble about drinking mishaps.

For instance, the Breelanders first think Frodo is a bit too deep in his cups when he jumps on the table to perform in the Prancing Pony, so something about a character embarrassing him/herself under the influence. Or perhaps someone has no money to pay their bar tab, or they find themselves in a pub with no beer...

Does the site have a birthday, as such, or is the end of July the cut-off for cards?

I can't quite find the exact date, but the deadline's the end of the month, yes

I've always handled HASA Birthays as Nath suggests. So we all have a month to celebrate HASA and each other SmileCheers!!

Imhiriel
Birthday Cards Volunteer

Happy Birthday HASA

Aruthir's Note: I'm sorry to anyone out there who's a fan of Helm, but I think he's a xenophobic jerk...

The Dunlending accepts another drink and I smile genially.

"We make good ale, yes?"

He nods, sweat beading on his florid features.

"The finest I have tasted in all my many years."

I shrug.

"You flatter us."

He shakes his head.

"Nay, friend- I speak naught but truth! Your ale is fine as your women are beautiful!"

My daughter blushes, but I say nothing despite the breach of etiquette.

He accepts another drink.

"Really?"

My trap is set- it shall not be my fault if he springs it.

"Really!"

He accepts another drink.

I smile as he digs his grave.

Aruthir's Note: A happier tale than the last one... depending on your perspective. Happy birthday, Henneth-Annun.

"Would you care for some beer, my lord Dwarf?"

The jailer leers unpleasantly as he speaks, and for a second Thrain thinks this is naught but another trick, another cruel jest by his captors, but then he sees the foaming mugs in the Goblin's hands.

"Never has it been said that we Goblins are poor hosts, after all. Violent and evil murderous scum perhaps, but never poor hosts."

Thrain appraises the mugs carefully.

"One is poisoned and the other not, I assume?"

The Goblin chuckles and shakes his head.

"May the Dark Lord strike you dead for such a suggestion! These are the finest brews in all of Dol Guldur- Guuursh and Hweeargh!"

Thrain shrugs as much as the chains allow and takes a mug. The brew is far darker than he is used to and smells worse than even the strongest Dwarf-stout, but to refuse hospitality would be wrong, even in such circumstances. It burns as he swallows a mouthful, but he cannot flinch. The Goblin watches approvingly as he drains the mug and wipes the froth from his beard.

"Guursh and Hweeargh, you say?"

The Goblin nods, pride obviously swelling in his breast, and Thrain softens a little towards the creature.

"Which did I have?"

The Goblin shrugs, almost apologetically.

"You'll find out soon enough. We named them after the noises made when they come back up."

Thrain's stomach rumbles ominously.

There are some fates worse than death.

Author's Note: Perhaps naughty hobbitses will prove more comment-worthy than miserable Dwarves or grumpy Dunlendings?

"Shush!"

Too much giggling.

"He'll wake up!"

Fingers fly in gloom.

"No he won't. What he's drunk would've sent an Oliphaunt to sleep!"

More giggling. He's certain to wake, and…

"Shush!"

Another minute. He has to wake, he…

"There!"

Triumphant grins spread like wildfire.

"Do we wake him?"

Two heads shake as one.

"He's his own doom- he shouldn't moon so over that Rosie Cotton."

A guilty pang as moonlight flickers on scarlet ribbons 'round auburn toes…

"He'd do the same to you, Mister Frodo, so he would."

A look askance.

"Would he, Pippin, Merry? Would he?"

Samwise snores on…

*sniggers at poor Sam*

And apologies for the lack of commenting - I enjoyed all three (definitely more than poor Thrain *g*)

For HASA's birthday, a slight variation on someone not paying their bar tab:

"I hope your room was to your liking?" Barliman asked. He was not sure that he liked the high and mighty stranger; he certainly did not like the man's travel companions, who looked very much like the ruffians that had been seen hanging around Bree.

"Yes, thank you," the man replied, "You have been a most pleasant host."

Barliman smiled as he waved goodbye to his guests.

"Come again!" he called. Such a pleasant man, I could listen to his voice for hours.

It was not until much later that he realised the strangers had left without settling their accounts.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2013 - HASA Birthdays