Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 14 - Salvage

Ch. 14 - Salvage

Salvage Wrapping up Denethor and his love life. Setting up situations for future events. Bringing back an old friend. Denethor and Thorongil have a brief, completely factual and utterly misunderstood conversation. The cat has fun. Mysteries thicken. Beregar is very useful. Silmarillion humor - whoda thunk it? Toodles - Ang

Re: Ch. 14 - Salvage

I didn't mention it before, but I really liked the bits about the cat in Ch 13, and now also in 14. I may have missed something, but I was slightly confused about Beregar - I know Denethor told him to look for a mistake, but it sounded like he was accompanying Denethor. If he was asked to go off to investigate, I missed it. Or was ‘Have you finished your tasks?’ the signal that he had been sent elsewhere? The tense of "Young women and their beaus would speak of nothing as they flirted" seemed out of line the second phrase, and with the other sentences. Looking forward to the next chapter! Lyllyn

Re: Ch. 14 - Salvage

I didn't mention it before, but I really liked the bits about the cat in Ch 13, and now also in 14. [giggle] I love the cat. She's now a constant character. I may have missed something, but I was slightly confused about Beregar - I know Denethor told him to look for a mistake, but it sounded like he was accompanying Denethor. If he was asked to go off to investigate, I missed it. Or was ‘Have you finished your tasks?’ the signal that he had been sent elsewhere? Yes, the "Have you finished your tasks?" is Denethor's oblique way of wanting to know if Beregar has uncovered anything. Denethor would consider any direction he gives to be a standing order and leaves it to Beregar to go investigate. It is for Beregar to observe happenings in the Citadel and report anything that looks odd. The tense of "Young women and their beaus would speak of nothing as they flirted" seemed out of line the second phrase, and with the other sentences. Oops. I'll revise that. Next chapter will be posted sometime today. Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum