Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 29 - Foundation

Ch. 29 - Foundation

Foundation No warnings. The two main locations are Osgiliath and Rohan. Denethor gets to spend a lot of time thinking about origins, history, and craft. This is also one of my attempts to talk about cultural inheritance and the myth of ethnic purity. There are several scenes with Thorongil, and you learn a bit more about the Lost. Beregar and Imrahil get a few lines each, and the Rohirrim are out in force. We finally get to meet Thengel and several of his counselors. For readers of my Shire Stories, there is an oblique reference in an Edoras scene to something that also occurs in "Legacy." I wanted to draw a few distant cultural connections between the Hobbits and the Rohirrim, and this struck me as something that might persist in a modified form. And, no, I am not the slightest bit repentant for *that* line. When you read it, you will know. As always, my sincere thanks to my beta readers. Ang

Re: Ch. 29 - Foundation

This is also one of my attempts to talk about cultural inheritance and the myth of ethnic purity. That was very interesting, particularly the existence of an anti-Gondor party in Rohan. I'm always in awe how well you manage to introduce and handle political topics. (Galmod has a point - Denethor for instance can be quite the arrogant snob. )

I love what I've read so far, but I had to comment half-way through, because my birthday was the 14th as well! Am I juvenile or what? lol That's my birthday! *points* LOL

Sometimes this story can be so depressing, what with the sad histories and dour futures, even if they are happy, if that makes any sense. *sigh*

And, no, I am not the slightest bit repentant for *that* line. When you read it, you will know. I think I must be dense, because I don't know what line this references!

I believe it is when Denethor says "I'm off to see a wizard"-- as in "We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!"

"I'm off to see a wizard"-- as in "We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!" Heh. I thought of that, but then decided that just couldn't be it. Too kitschy for HoTK. Shows you what I know!

"Too kitschy for HoTK" *snickers*

I believe it is when Denethor says "I'm off to see a wizard"-- as in "We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!" Bingo. And, no, there is no literary/pop culture reference too low for me to use. Toodles - Ang

You and Beregar - whatta pair! Yes, I fear HotK is, at base, a tragedy. Toodles - Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum