Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 31 - Fate

Ch. 31 - Fate

Fate

No warnings. Finduilas POV, the first of 6 chapters from her perspective.

We shift back to Finduilas, having spent the summer with Denethor. I recommend re-reading the last 2 paragraphs of ch. 30 before starting ch. 31 to pick up a chapter transition. Finduilas is riding from Dol Amroth to Minas Tirith for her wedding. It is an introspective chapter.

I introduce 14 new characters along the way, though most are only in passing. Don't worry, they will all come back in at some point - it's a long story. There are a lot of Silmarillion references, direct and oblique; see if you can pick them out. There is also a reference to one of my favorite fairly tales.

One of my interests in HotK has been to portray female characters who are clearly limited to certain kinds of roles and acts because they are female, but who are thoughtful about those roles and who are able to act effectively within their societies in great part because of the structure of the roles. Limits can stengthen as well as restrict, after all, as anyone who has studied the power of institutions can tell you.  The next several chapters on Finduilas are a look at how she begins to become a dominant political and economic actor in Gondorian society.  One key is the way in which she learns to manipulate public opinion.

Thanks go to my fantastic betas who have saved me from much embarassment: Denna, DL7, Julie, Nath, Roh Wyn, and Two Flower.

Toodles - Ang 

Re: Ch. 31 - Fate

Lovely chapter, both bitter and sweet. I read it fairly fast, so I fear I missed many of the references - I'll have to go back through more slowly (oh, horrors!)

The fairy tale reference that came to mind was Grimm's Seven Swans, of the girl with the seven brothers who spins clothing out of nettles. I recall at the end one brother is left with a wing instead of an arm because she had no time to finish. I thought of it as soon as you described the banner (but that might just be me and you may have had an entirely different fairy tale in mind.)

I could see Finduilas that way, though, set on her duty and laboring desperately to finish in time.

I was glad she reconciled with Adrahil, but wish he wasn't quite so thick-skulled about this.

Lyllyn

Lovely chapter, both bitter and sweet. I read it fairly fast, so I fear I missed many of the references - I'll have to go back through more slowly (oh, horrors!)

Oh, you poor thing! ;-)  Some of the references will not be obvious until later in the story, I suspect.

Yes, the story of the Seven Swans (and variations thereof - Nath has a few)  is at play here. It is immediate in the creation of the badges for the soldiers (who must have them before they reach Minas Tirith lest they remain mere soldiers), but also more broadly for the life fabric she weaves from stinging and painful things to protect those she loves - and what happens when there is not enough of it.The banner itself has a more direct Silm reference, though it, too, comes under the fairy tale.

I was glad she reconciled with Adrahil, but wish he wasn't quite so thick-skulled about this.

Sigh, he is being a jerk. It will take a long time before he really, truly accepts Denethor, but he makes some solid forward motion in the next few chapters.

Ang 

Some of the references will not be obvious until later in the story, I suspect.
Or possibly never. *sigh* I remember near to nothing from the Sil, and have never cared about (the Brother Grimm's) fairy tales.

I'm glad to hear that I won't have to go on disliking Adrahil, since in the past chapters, I'd have smacked the guy if it had been possible! Ang, you're just too good about what in German is called Sympathielenkung, meaning that the way you tell a story greatly influences the recipient's attitude towards the tale. Ecthelion instantly comes to mind here.

the way you tell a story greatly influences the recipient's attitude towards the tale.

My thoughts exactly. HotK has so influenced my view of certain characters that I'll never see them the same way again, esp. Ecthelion and maybe even Imrahil to a certain extent.

Oh, and I can totally rationalize everything Denethor does in RoTK, almost completely based on Ang's Denethor in HotK!!

Some of the references will not be obvious until later in the story, I suspect.
Or possibly never. *sigh* I remember near to nothing from the
Sil, and have never cared about (the Brother Grimm's) fairy tales.

That just means others will have to figure them out for you. C'mon, guys, the banner is a no-brainer. ;-)  And just think about the stories of Túrin and Tuor.

I'm glad to hear that I won't have to go on disliking Adrahil, since in the past chapters, I'd have smacked the guy if it had been possible! Ang, you're just too good about what in German is called Sympathielenkung, meaning that the way you tell a story greatly influences the recipient's attitude towards the tale. Ecthelion instantly comes to mind here.

Heh, he deserved a good smack. Thank you for this comment. I cannot think of a higher compliment for an author. Now that I have dropped Ecthelion into a nice deep hole, I have to get him out of. With Finduilas and Boromir's help, I think I can.  Thorongil is going to see some changes as well.  His education continues apace.

Thanks as always for your wonderful comments!

Ang 

I cannot think of a higher compliment for an author.

So now that we've got you all buttered up, maybe we can talk you into writing a sequel? ;)

I cannot think of a higher compliment for an author.

So now that we've got you all buttered up, maybe we can talk you into writing a sequel? ;)

Argh! I haven't even finished the first one! More seriously, I think I will be going back to the Shire after this extended stay in Gondor.  Or maybe even to visit the Dwarves. I have a few Dwarf stories that are hinting they should be written. The Lions of Khazad-dum is in desperate need of a rewrite.

No more wheedling, Roh! 

Toodles - Ang 

Can I put in a request for TT? Or do I recall correct that The Lions of Khazad-dum is one of the TT chapters?

Lyllyn

Can I put in a request for TT? Or do I recall correct that The Lions of Khazad-dum is one of the TT chapters?

Yes, Lions of Khazad-dum is the ninth story in the Two Trees series. I'm not sure I will revive the entire series, though. Even looking past the Sue-ishness of the premise, it's pretty rough. It helped me get started writing, but I'm not sure it is productive to keep going.

Though I do kind of want to write a certain scene between Grim and Aragorn when they find Boromir dead.

Toodles - Ang 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum