Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 35 - State

Ch. 35 - State

State

Fifth of six Finduilas POV chapters.  WARNING  - Sad chapter. I can't say more without it being a major spoiler. No gore or violence, but grief.

Finduilas is frustrated with Denethor and deeply shaken by other events. Affairs of state, and the state of affairs, weigh on them both. Luinil, Adrahil, Ecthelion and Thorongil all have significant scenes.

Finduilas and Denethor are trying to figure out the balance between them, now that they are husband/wife as well as friend/Alquallë.  The immediacy of politics displaces their uncertainty over more personal things. The title is important, pointing at the different states they are in.

Roh_wyn in particular provided many valuable edits and corrections to this chapter, as well as asking some very good questions that are only know coming to fruition in a later chapter. Thanks! 

Ang 

Re: Ch. 35 - State

Roh_wyn in particular provided many valuable edits and corrections to this chapter

Heh! Why, thank you Ang...

:::takes a bow:::

Sorry to be so late in commenting, but since I was away for a few days, I had a lot to catch up with on the net. And I certainly don't want you to feel as if only your faithful betas are still reading, Ang!

Finduilas is frustrated with Denethor
Like me. Can anybody be as boneheaded as dear Denethor? I really admire her resolve, as well as her wisdom and self-discipline. ("Finduilas made herself smile brightly.")

'And I abhor such claims as well, for you are not a beast to be ordered, but my love. Neither husband nor wife should be ordered, unwilling. I think it is not time.'
Yeah - you tell him Fin! I like her so not being a doormat.

I'd love to have his perspective during this conversation. Does he really believe what he says regarding her youth, or isn't it more of an excuse for him not to touch her more intimately, thus avoiding to break his oath to Gondor completely?

Sorry to be so late in commenting, but since I was away for a few days, I had a lot to catch up with on the net.

I know how that goes.   Life has been busy around Chez Anglachel as well.

Finduilas is frustrated with Denethor
Like me. Can anybody be as boneheaded as dear Denethor? I really admire her resolve, as well as her wisdom and self-discipline. ("Finduilas made herself smile brightly.")

Denethor has developed boneheadedness into an art form, I do believe. He also has a lot of inner demons to overcome. Finduilas may not be conscious of all that, but she knows that this is no simple thing he is being asked to do. At the same time, she is convinced that it is the right thing to do (be wed to each other), and she's not letting him off the hook.

I'd love to have his perspective during this conversation. Does he really believe what he says regarding her youth, or isn't it more of an excuse for him not to touch her more intimately, thus avoiding to break his oath to Gondor completely?

Hmm, his perspective. Well, he's crazy in love with her. He is concerned that she is a little young for marriage - which in a pre-contraceptive pill era means too young for bearing children - and he is completely sincere when he says he is worried over her health. These are reasonable concerns that mask his own issues - that they are being driven by a fate they don't control, that he is not the one she should have wed, and all of his hang-ups about sex itself. All his carefully constructed rules are collapsing around him.

In the end, what he has to do is trust Finduilas. He will.

Thanks for the comments!

Toodles - Ang 

Another person weighing in late...

Denethor has developed boneheadedness into an art form

I most fervently agree! And I gnashed my teeth on this chapter a lot because I wanted to see the effect of being married on Denethor (and I'm still waiting - tease!)

The chapter was well done, the emotional shifts all worked, and I enjoyed seeing Maiaberiel's plans foiled.

Lyllyn

And I gnashed my teeth on this chapter a lot because I wanted to see the effect of being married on Denethor (and I'm still waiting - tease!)

But I think you can see some of it already.  He is learning to trust Finduilas even more. She can ask him things that others cannot, such as his feelings about his grandfather, and he will give her an honest answer.  He will admit to his misgivings over their marriage, and he was ready to go to bed with her, to trust her choice in that, as well.

When the time is right, things will happen. What awaits them is something neither have anticipated.

Toodles - Ang

He is learning to trust Finduilas even more. She can ask him things that others cannot
I daresay it's the wise thing to do. Finduilas is simply good for him, which makes her untimely death an even more terrible blow.

What awaits them is something neither have anticipated.
Ah, the suspense! Really. It may sound like empty flattery, but I'm always so much looking forward to the next chapter.

I daresay it's the wise thing to do. Finduilas is simply good for him, which makes her untimely death an even more terrible blow.

There is the question, of course, as to whether Denethor is good for her.  I tend to think so, but not in any simple way. Then there is the "fated to be together aspect, which undermines questions of good/bad for each other, as they are simply meant to be together.

It may sound like empty flattery, but I'm always so much looking forward to the next chapter.

I'll take any flattery I can get. ;-)   I hope to have another chapter ready this weekend.  Yes, the one you've all been waiting for since day one.

Toodles - Ang 

There is the question, of course, as to whether Denethor is good for her. I tend to think so, but not in any simple way.
*nods* Apart from the 'destined to be together' thing there's also the fact that she loved and wanted him and that they (in your book as well as in mine) had some good times. That should count for something, too.

I hope to have another chapter ready this weekend. Yes, the one you've all been waiting for since day one.
Argh - and I'm away for the weekend and won't be home before Monday evening! *rips hair out* Well, the more anticipation there will be...

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum