Forum: Deconstructing Denethor

Discussing: Son of Ecthelion: The Challenge is on!

Son of Ecthelion: The Challenge is on!

Go here for the wording. I've used Liz's bullet points and added some wordage around it. Please do note the deadline date... Also, I've left "A Kinder, Gentler Denethor" up as a nuzgûl. The difference between them is one of scope: the nuzgûl requires *all* seven points to be covered; the Challenge requires only two of seven, with the hope of having a set of fics that will collectively cover all of them.

Re: Son of Ecthelion: The Challenge is on!

I've used Liz's bullet points Which perhaps don't entirely make sense when pulled out of their original context! Particularly: set-up for or aftermath of the argument with Faramir (I presume you mean the argument over the Ring in "The Siege of Gondor". Since there is also the disagreement over defending the causeway forts in the same chapter) Could you edit this in the challenge to clarify which argument you did mean? Cheers, Liz

Done. Good catch.

Dwim, I've entered my piece "How Many Years" into the challenge but on second thought am not sure it qualifies. It certainly deals with Denethor's relationship to Boromir. My concern is, while it definitely looks at the palantir's effects on Denethor and, to a lesser extent, how Denethor views the northern line and Thorongil, I'm not sure it deals with it in enough depth. Specifically for the palantir:
Imrahil looked like he wanted to say more, but he restrained himself and continued silently up the hill past me. You flatter yourself, Denethor. The thought sprang unbidden to my mind. The Dark Lord? Fear you? And what chance is there that Gondor will survive long enough for Boromir to lead his son this way? The Stone had revealed to me the armies festering behind the Ephel Dúath, and I shivered to think of them. All hope seemed folly, but Gondor would persevere beyond hope, until the king returned. That cold laughter filled my head then, as unyielding and uncaring as it always was when I dared the Stone. Yet neither troubling words nor troubling thoughts should mar such a day as today. I banished them back to the far recesses of my mind and tried to think about happier times.
And for the Northern Line:
I let my gaze drift far to the North, beyond where I knew the Argonath stood, beyond the horizon to Arnor, the land of the heirs of Arvedui, last king, home of the heirs of Isildur. Yet they had no claim in Gondor; that had been decided long years ago. Who else was there, then? Usurpers like Thorongil? How then could I tell Boromir that grown men should not ask such boyish questions?
There's a bit more about Denethor's hope that the king will return (or lack thereof), but not about Thorongil specifically. I originally entered, thinking that the piece addressed both Denethor's relationship to Boromir and the palantir's effect. But if you don't think it fits the criteria closely enough, then I will gladly withdraw it or set the status to members-only. I still plan on doing that series of Beregond vignettes I've mentioned. Cheers, Marta

Hi Dwim while I still have my current WIP which aims to provide a unified theory of Denethor for the nuzgul, I wanted to confirm whether an existing story, Chance Meetings, would meet the terms of the challenge. It involves * Denethor's relationship with Faramir - showing Denethor very concerned that Faramir is under too much strain * How Denethor came to give the order that all trespassers in Ithilien were to be killed, and why Faramir disobeyed it when it came to Frodo, Sam and Gollum - which I think covers the "set up to the argument" point * A short scene in which we see why Denethor is upset by Gandalf's influence on Faramir - covering (in part) Denethor's relationship with Gandalf * a very brief and very obscure reference to Denethor's relationship with Thorongil. Does it fit the challenge? Cheers, Liz

Sounds like it, Liz. I'd have to do some reading before saying more. Ditto Marta's fic.

Ah, the rules changed. I'm back in. The story will cover the relationship with Finduilas & with Thorongil. I will be doing a great deal with the palantir as well. Ang

Right... I'm going to plunk "Courting the Lady" into this, though I says it as shouldn't since the story was completed several months ago. But it covers both the Denethor-Finduilas and Denethor-Thorongil relationships... so I can't resist. I'm also going to put in an as-yet-unwritten story, which I expect to deal with Denethor and his sons (Faramir at least), and Denethor-Gandalf. I've written a whopping two paragraphs so far, but I have pages of notes on it, so I think it really will happen... before the end of the Challenge, even! Cel

Hi people, I've put in my entry but I'm not entirely sure it qualifies. The story really started out as a Faramir fic, but dad (not surprisingly) started to steal the stage after a while. My Denethor isn't exactly 'kinder' or 'gentler' but I'd like to think he's human. He's grieving husband and stern father; emotional yet stony, loving yet harshly and sometimes violently judgmental. (This is more evident at the end of chapter 3, and the whole of 4 and 5) I've departed from canon a little on the death of Finduilas (and other small details) and adopted some of the movie elements. See for yourself! =) It's a WIP with quite a few chapters more to go, but do let me know if you think it doesn't fit the challenge. Thanks Liz for your welcome & tip! nrink

This is a quick SSP that I have posted the first chapter of my entry to this challenge (also entered for the wider ranging Kinder Gentler Denethor nuzgul). The story is called Cup of Bitterness Cheers, Liz

So WIP's are ok as part of a challenge, and we can just update as we go along? You all knew it was going to happen to me, and I refused to believe you. I've been bitten. Not so much by a big fangy nazgul, but something more like a drabbly worm, boring slitheringly into my brain. Long story short, there are more Kindler Gentler Denethor drabbles on the way. He'll be one big pussycat but the time I've gotten him out of my system. Ann

> So WIP's are ok as part of a challenge, and we can just update as we go along? Hi Ann! Yes, WIPs are acceptable. Just one little caveat. After a challenge passes its deadline, if five or more authors actually wrote something for it (even if those pieces aren't finished) the challenge goes to the public side of the site. You can find the publicly accessible challenges here. (Note: This link opens a new window, as it points to the public side of HASA.) Anyway, stories which haven't gone through review and been accepted into the Public archive may be made available to non-members if they are entered in challenges which go to the public side of the site. If you explore the link I posted above, you'll see that each challenge has several works associated with it and that there is a drop down list of authors with stories entered in challenges displayed on the public side. (Note: this list is different from the list of drop-down names at the top of every page in Public, which gives access to stories that have successfully passed through Review and been accepted into the public archive.) Anyway, long story short, if you don't want your pieces showing up on the public side, you can do one of two things. Keep them in Beta, or when you enter the challenge select "Members only" as your intended audience. You can always change this later. But yes, WIPs are fine. Cheers, Marta HASA Challenges Manager

De-lurking for a quick SSP to the Denethor fans out there. This only covers 1 of the 7 points, but here it is for what it's worth: In the Forest Singing Sorrowless. Originally written for another challenge, but it does have a kinder & gentler Denethor. No angst, I promise. ;-) cheers nrink

I don't believe the irony: For the first time in (literally) months, I got out my 3/4 finished story for this challenge and discovered that today is the last day! ARGH! Oh well. Sometimes there are just too many stories to be worked on at once. Maybe I can finish it in the next 3 hours.

Thevina, If you're reading this, why don't you pick up a placeholder? That way you can enter the story when you've finished it? Marta

ARGH! Sorry- I missed it, writing on it. Oh well. There will always be more... ~Thev

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Deconstructing Denethor