Forum: Sexuality in Middle-earth

Discussing: M-e races: sexual or not?

M-e races: sexual or not?

Having emerged briefly from the black hole that is my practice, here's an interesting question to kick around: why do you find some races in M-e more sexual than others? I was struck, in our hetfic discussion, by the fact that a lot of fans do not view hobbits in a particularly sexual light, which seems to me one of the reasons many fanfic writers don't want to deal with them. Am I right or wrong?

I suppose I'm curious b/c I've never had a big problem with treating any race as sexual--picturing hobbits, elves, or dwarves going at it just doesn't wack me out.

Well, maybe the dwaves.

Regina

Re: M-e races: sexual or not?

why do you find some races in M-e more sexual than others? I was struck, in our hetfic discussion, by the fact that a lot of fans do not view hobbits in a particularly sexual light, which seems to me one of the reasons many fanfic writers don't want to deal with them.

Hey Regina! Emerging from the black hole that is my job...
I don't usually write about hobbits, but given Tolkien's take on them as being the most "down to earth" (literally!), I see them as being probably the most particularly lustful. They seem to be awfully fecund compared to other races. See Rosie Cotton Gamgee (13 children, I belive?) as an example. I think what has happened is that with Elijah Wood as a movie character, many new writers (and yes, I am one of those as well) have infantalized (infantized?) hobbits and so they seem more childlike than the very complex race that I think JRRT intended for them to be. But maybe that's just me. I just tried my hand at a hobbit sex scene, and I had no problem with it. It would be writing about Elves that would "wack me out" because they are seen as so perfect. Maybe first or second age Elves, when they seem far more falliable.

picturing hobbits, elves, or dwarves going at it just doesn't wack me out.

Well, maybe the dwaves.

Just wait 'til I get my fingers going on a Dwarvish courtship...
You won't have seen sensual until you see my take on Dwarves... okay, so that's quite low on the list, but I would like to write about that very topic. Of all races, Dwarf women (beside being completely absent) are the most independent. Perhaps there is a reason for that.

Maybe the Dwarf men can't handle them.

Elves have some advantage since they are distant and mysterious, making us want to know what's under that controlled exterior. Most of the Men are shown as noble or tragic. Hobbits are the people next door, so it's easy to skip over them as not interesting in that respect.

Speaking for myself, it depends on the story. I've seen stories where hobbits are portrayed sexually that work well for me - two examples I've given before are Legacy and "And Left the Tenderness of Tears." I confess that I find many more that don't, and I'm not sure what it is about the portrayal that doesn't convince.

I do think a lot of the issue is the set up, I can see that one could even do a good job with dwarves, but it would take a lot of work. OTOH, there is some L/G slash out there, and a few of them do a good job with one dwarf as a sexual creature.

Oops, just saw your post, Thevina. I'll look for that!

lyllyn

Hobbits are the people next door, so it's easy to skip over them as not interesting in that respect.

*could make joke here about spying on the neighbours, but will refrain*

-Aerlinnel

Oops, just saw your post, Thevina. I'll look for that!

Don't start looking yet... it may be awhile. But goodness knows that somebody should write something for them!

However, there's still a hobbit scene in chapter 2 of "Celestial Quartet" that I've been wanting you to read and get your feedback. Like all of my scenes of an 'adult' nature, it's pretty fast, but still.

Winkingly,
Thevina

Just jumping in to say that, altho I see hobbits as creatures with a sexual side, I tend to enjoy more the stories where sex is a natural (but not focal) part of their lives. Lindelea does this very well in her stories.

Tolkien wrote about hobbits enjoying tobacco (cringe) but he didn't put us thru reading about endless nic-fits yet sometimes I feel like that is what I am reading in some fanfic.

I'm reading "Letters" right now and I get the feeling JRRT would have strongly disapproved of any hormone-crazy hobbit depictions. As you know, I have read and enjoyed some such stories but I can understand people wishing to stay away because they feel it runs contrary to JRRT's vision.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Sexuality in Middle-earth

Stories linked to the forum