Forum: Sexuality in Middle-earth

Discussing: Homosocial or Homosexual?

Homosocial or Homosexual?

I thought I’d put up these notes for those writers who explore slash or homoerotic relationships between two characters (often male) of the same sex, and might be interested to know about some of the theorising that has been done on the relationship between ‘homosocial’ and ‘homosexual’. ‘Homosocial’ is a word that originally was defined as meaning ‘amicable relations between people of the same sex that fails to take on an erotic dimension’. ‘Homosexual’ (is a word with a long and murky history of meaning), but here for simplicity’s sake lets say that it means relationships between people of the same sex that do contain sexual elements. (As opposed to just being a close emotional relationship – that would probably be considered ‘homosocial’) However, a number of academics in the fields of literature, social science and queer theory have posited the idea of a “potentially unbroken continuum between homosocial and homosexual – a continuum whose visibility, for men, in our society, is radically disrupted.” (Eve Kosofsky Sedewick, Between Men: English Literature and Male Homosocial Desire, 1985). This means that writers may be writing relationships between men that could be interpreted as having an element of m/m desire, but because of the way in which sexuality and male relations are constructed in this society the writer is unable and/or unwilling to recognise it. (The same might happen with readers encountering this material. They also have internalised the non-recognition of male/male desire) Historically, there is also evidence that homosocial relations at times do take on homosexual elements. As I am from Australia, I know most about this in an Australian context. For example, there are documents which show homosexual activity to have been very common amongst convicts. Often sexual activity in this context would take on violent and abusive aspects, but there were also convict couples who formed long term stable relationships involving love and affection (there are in existence a number of rather beautiful letters convicts in these kinds of relationships wrote to each other). Male bush workers in 19th century Australia also often formed not only close friendships, but homosexual relationships, with each other. While it may be true to some extent to say that these situations developed due to the scarcity of white women, there were always large numbers of black women available for sexual use by white men, so this alone does not in my opinion sufficiently explain away homosexual desire. I think a better explanation is that it is often necessary to repress the sexual/erotic elements of homosocial relations between men because legitimate masculinity in our society depends on compulsory heterosexuality. But even so homosociality doesn’t go away, it just means that heterosexual relations are constructed within a homosocial framework. In “Between Men” Sedgwick investigates a number of texts from Shakespearean to late Victorian times in which men have homosocial relationships that verge on being homosexual, but where a woman is ultimately exchanged between the two men as a sexual object in order to deflect and obscure homosexual desire. She draws on Gayle Rubin who has argued that patriarchal heterosexuality can best be discussed in terms of one or another form of the traffic in women: it is the use of women as exchangeable, perhaps symbolic, property for the primary purpose of cementing the bonds of men with men (Gayle Rubin, ‘Traffic in Women: Notes Towards a Political Economy of Sex’ in Towards an Anthropology of Women Ed. Rayna Reiter, New York: Monthly Review Press, 1975, pp. 157-210.) Hope this has given you all something to think about.

Re: Homosocial or Homosexual?

The continuum idea makes perfect sense to me. I appreciate the references...I'll have to check them when I get to a real library (as opposed to the thing that passes for my local public library). Many thanks! faramir_boromir

Ditto, F_B! Thanks, Spindle Berry. I'll have to check them when I get to a real library (as opposed to the thing that passes for my local public library In other rants, why is it that in the one place where knowledge is supposedly free, there is so (#*$@%#&^!@^&* little knowledge to be found?! And in libraries that have a lot of serious studies on different topics, why are there ID gates barring access? /rant

ID gates? Either I'm innocent or stupid, but I'm a bit confused by that comment. But yes, public libraries can be annoying. Luckily I'm still mulling at university so have access to a decent library.

I've had two universities install little gates that you need a student ID card to get past. All in the name of "security" and insuring books aren't lost. I don't buy either of these as good reasons to install gates. I just find it totally contrary to the spirit of a library to keep people out of it and away from the books, especially when the local public library obviously doesn't carry half of them.

Couldn't agree more with your analysis of the divide (insert sarcastic snigger here) between homosocial and homosocial. I might also point out that the same theories could apply to homosocial bonds between women. The fact that slash, het and pwp fandoms have cropped up increasingly over the years suggests that something is lacking from the sexual side of many women's lives. All of these fandoms rely on the exchange of sexual and emotional fantasies (predominantly) between women. Slashy enough for you? allecto bursts into maniacal laughter and exits the post.

I've had two universities install little gates that you need a student ID card to get past. All in the name of "security" and insuring books aren't lost. I find that disturbing, but hardly surprising. As far as I know, no Australian universities have anything similar, but I'm sure that will change now that John Howard (Australia's lovely prime minister) has full power over the senate. I.e. he can basically pass whatever laws he wants, and that doesn't mean money for education.

Reply to allecto

I might also point out that the same theories could apply to homosocial bonds between women. The fact that slash, het and pwp fandoms have cropped up increasingly over the years suggests that something is lacking from the sexual side of many women's lives. All of these fandoms rely on the exchange of sexual and emotional fantasies (predominantly) between women. Oooh, talking directly about female sexuality, that is brave. I'm sure some people won't be comfortable with the idea, but I agree with you that erotic/sexual fanfics are a type of erotic exchange between women that creates a simialr kind of continuum to that which can be seen in male homosociality. It's just rather unfortunate that female homosocial bonds don't give us access to the same kind of societal power that male homosocial bonding usually achieves.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Sexuality in Middle-earth

Stories linked to the forum