Forum: Hobbiton

Discussing: I Hate Hobbits

I Hate Hobbits

If you just can't stand Hobbits, this is the place to let it all out. What is it about them that draws your ire?

Re: I Hate Hobbits

I'm putting my reply into this category because you don't have one named "I'm neutral towards Hobbits, but think they're often badly written."

I like well-written Hobbit stories; if fact, I've realized that I should probably go over my bio and edit it, as I like Hobbits far more than some other characters (such as the Rohirrim). But far too many Hobbit stories can put even a non-diabetic into a hyperglycemic coma. And often the writers seem to view Hobbits as "sweet, innocent kids" - nevermind that Frodo is in his 50s when he sets out on his journey. They're NOT "sweet, innocent kids", they're adults (or in Pippin's case, the equivalent of an older teen) who hail from an insular, parochial culture and have never seen the larger world (although Frodo at least has certainly read about it; he's a scholar, not merely a country hick).

Well written Hobbit stories are wonderful. I just wish they weren't so hard to find.

I just created an I'm neutral on Hobbits thread. I copied your post to there.

mk

Thank you, Ithilwen! You know, I thought I knew Frodo pretty well, but I never really thought about him being a scholar -- and of course, you are right! It's a whole new dimension of his character for me to consider and try to work into stories.

Jo

Yes, but pre-quest he's actually not that fluent in elvish - something many fics that portray Frodo as a scholar seem to overlook...

Kate

Yeah, probably like my French -- I can read, slowly, dictionary close to hand -- and frame questions when I need to -- but when someone *answers* my question, I'm sunk..... way too fast, way too colloquial.....

Jo

Hmm, or my latin, I suppose. I understand enough of the mechanics to translate it onto paper, but couldn't speak it to save my life.

But did Frodo ever get really fluent in Elvish? Bilbo did a lot of translating, so *he* did....... but Frodo wrote the Red Book in Westron, didn't he? He was a scholar, writing that enormous history, but how bi-lingual was he?

Jo

I suppose when he got to Valinor he had ample time and opportunity to learn elvish! As far as the Red Book, it was my understanding that he wanted it to be read by future generations of hobbits, so even if he had been fluent in elvish he probably would have written it in Westron.

Kate

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hobbiton