Forum: Hobbiton

Discussing: I'm Neutral on Hobbits

I'm Neutral on Hobbits

This is the thread for those who are neither here nor there, or simply ignore Hobbits altogether.

Re: I'm Neutral on Hobbits

This was posted by Ithilwen, and I moved it here for obvious reasons.

mk

I'm putting my reply into this category because you don't have one named "I'm neutral towards Hobbits, but think they're often badly written."

I like well-written Hobbit stories; if fact, I've realized that I should probably go over my bio and edit it, as I like Hobbits far more than some other characters (such as the Rohirrim). But far too many Hobbit stories can put even a non-diabetic into a hyperglycemic coma. And often the writers seem to view Hobbits as "sweet, innocent kids" - nevermind that Frodo is in his 50s when he sets out on his journey. They're NOT "sweet, innocent kids", they're adults (or in Pippin's case, the equivalent of an older teen) who hail from an insular, parochial culture and have never seen the larger world (although Frodo at least has certainly read about it; he's a scholar, not merely a country hick).

Well written Hobbit stories are wonderful. I just wish they weren't so hard to find.

I fall into this category with Ithilwen. Too many stories are too sweet, or 'idealized country life.' There are some excellent ones out there, even some excellent sweet ones, such as 'The Care and Feeding of Hobbits.' I find some of the angst ones better, because Frodo is closer to my conception of him post ring- a tormented adult forced to make intolerable choices.
Sam is sometimes written as a complete bumpkin, but he's a tough, determined- if uneducated- adult.

Food for discussion: what do hobbits call to in our respective psyches as opposed to elves and humans?

Lyllyn

Food for discussion: what do hobbits call to in our respective psyches as opposed to elves and humans?

As someone who is called much more often by hobbits than by any of the other races, I will, perhaps offer my suggestion. I have always felt that hobbits reflected more the actual state of the reader - where we truly are - rather than a somewhat idealized but attainable state (Numenorians, Aragorn, Faramir) or the unreachable ideal of elves. Hobbits have all the little quirks, pettiness and trivialities that modern day humans have - but Tolkien gives them a core of toughness - something to be proud that, even in our banality, we still possess.

Of course, this could also be complete and total BS...

Ariel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hobbiton