Forum: Fanfic: customs and conventions

Discussing: The Reviewing Pool

The Reviewing Pool

Just had to share... over the weekend, my stepkids (10 and 12) asked me about my 'reading job' since we were talking about fanfiction. I was confused, and then my stepdaughter said, "You know- all those stories you read and then comment on?"

I really did laugh out loud. Evidently I've been spending a lot of time reviewing stories lately.

Wouldn't be a bad job, I suppose... any money out there floating around??

~Thevina

Re: The Reviewing Pool

I wish there were! I'd love to be paid to read/write fanfic, myself.

Cel

I'm curious. Do you control what fanfic they can read or do you let them read anything they want to and then discuss?

I'm curious. Do you control what fanfic they can read or do you let them read anything they want to and then discuss?

Actually, they don't read any fanfic. I had mentioned a story that I was working on and the discussion went from there. To quote Emma again from earlier this summer, I was telling her about 'Face to the Fire,' the long Dwarf/Dale-centric story I started back in May, and then she looked at me, disappointed. "Oh," she said. "I thought you were finally going to write something that was your own this time."

Both of my stepkids have seen the movies, and I bought a lovely leather-bound edition of The Hobbit for my stepson for Christmas, but they haven't read the books and only know that their weird (but devoted!) stepmom makes her own Tolkien costumes and writes a lot. But they don't read my fanfiction, or anyone else's. Even my husband has only read one or two of my rather short stories.

Maybe someday.

Hmmm...do they have favorite books, TV shows, etc? Maybe you could start by getting them to read fanfic in another fandom, and then gradually corrupt them--whoops, I meant gradually introduce them to yours.

Maybe you could start by getting them to read fanfic in another fandom, and then gradually corrupt them--whoops, I meant gradually introduce them to yours.

*gasp*
You mean you think my fanfic is corruptable?! Or Tolkien fanfic in general?

Just kidding. I'm just grateful that they read regular books at this point. But when they get a little older, if they do get interested in fandom of any kind, I will support them in those endeavors.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Fanfic: customs and conventions