Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: M-e Fourth Age

M-e Fourth Age

Hi all, I got viciously attacked by a nuzgul while driving home this evening. , and I have a question now. Where, in all the various sources of information on M-e, is there good information on M-e in the Fourth Age? Is there any source? I've read the Appendicies, but I"m wanting MORE. Any suggestions? Cheryl

Re: M-e Fourth Age

LOL, sounds as if my nuzgul escaped and is biting other people! I have been writing lots in the Fourth Age. Aside from the Appendices, there is the Epilogue, where Samwise answers questions just before *Gasp* my copy of ROTK has gone missing AGAIN... as I was saying, just before Elessar came North, met the hobbits at the Bridge, and gave Sam the Star of the Dunedain or something like that. I cannot tell you what year that was. 1430-something (1436?) The epilogue is one of the HOME books, in a couple of versions. The answers to the questions give you a glimpse into F.A. stuff. Pippin and Merry made a number of journeys to the South, and spent time at Lake Evendim in the North with the King. Sam and Rose went to Gondor for a year with Elanor, interestingly enough, the same year that their youngest, Tolman, was born. Samwise was elected Mayor seven times! Pippin became Thain four years after his son Faramir was born, and seven years after marrying Diamond. Merry's wedding date and name of his son are not recorded, but he turned his seal over to his son when he left for Gondor in the end, so he must have had at least one! There's also the sequel that JRRT abandoned... it was set in Gondor about 100 years after the War of the Ring? Something like that. I read it a long, long time ago and cannot give you any details. If you've read the Appendices, you know that Elessar and Arwen had daughters and at least one son, and the son is named. Elessar came often to the North, to the Lake, and Pippin spent a lot of time there. (I think it was Pippin. When I can find ROTK I can let you know, if that's a detail you're interested in.) You know whom Eomer married, and the name of their heir. You know where Legolas and Gimli ended up. You know that Elessar fought more battles (with the Easterlings... and the Haradrim?) and Rohan came to the aid of Gondor. Probably Imrahil did too. You know something about the hobbit main characters from the Chronology. It's a place to start. Other than those sources, and the Appendices and Genealogies (especially useful for hobbit writers), it's pretty much "make it up as you go along". As long as you try to stay consistent to the general ground rules implied in the original, you should do well. (And if someone has found sources that I haven't, I'd love to see them!) HTH, Lin

LOL, sounds as if my nuzgul escaped and is biting other people! Ah ha!! So YOU'RE the culprit! I knew that nuzgul had to come from somewhere. Actually, I was driving home, listening to my ROTK soundtrack (Aragorn's Coronation) and I got to thinking about his children. Out of nowhere this nuzgul about one of his daughters strikes me. *groan* as if I didnt have enough other nuzguls at the moment. Thanks for the great information! I'll have to think on this one and put it in line behind the others. (yes, I'm actually trying to TRAIN my nuzuls to behave in an orderly fashion ) Thanks Lin! Cheryl

Hi Cheryl can I put in a plug for you to look around the resources section, where you will find entries for many of the events and people that Lin mentions. The Epilogue that Lin mentioned is in Home IX: Sauron Defeated. There's a thread in the resources forum for HoMe Reference Requests where I'm sure someone could provide you with more detail from the Epilogue. I'll have to think on this one and put it in line behind the others. (yes, I'm actually trying to TRAIN my nuzuls to behave in an orderly fashion ) The secret is not necessarily to train them but to be able to get them off your ankles and into cages until you're read to deal with them! Cheers, Liz

can I put in a plug for you to look around the resources section, where you will find entries for many of the events and people that Lin mentions. Absolutely! I should've thought of that myself. I'll poke around when I get a chance. The Epilogue that Lin mentioned is in Home IX: Sauron Defeated. There's a thread in the resources forum for HoMe Reference Requests where I'm sure someone could provide you with more detail from the Epilogue. Ah! Good to know! I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with this nuzgul yet, it's very, very preliminary (basically a shred of an idea) so I'm not sure what exactly I want to ask yet. When I know, I'll seek that thread out. Meanwhile, I think I may try to find HOME IX at the library. The secret is not necessarily to train them but to be able to get them off your ankles and into cages until you're read to deal with them! LOL! Well, I locked them in the closet for now...my ankles were sore! Cheryl

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum