Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Questions for Lego-fans and Elf-friends

Questions for Lego-fans and Elf-friends

Does Legolas have the ability to 'talk' to trees, i.e. ordinary trees rather than Ents or Huorns, and understand what they're feeling, what processes (such as growth, or disease, or slowing down during the winter)? I don't mean he chatters away in Sindarin or whatever to the trees, but does he sort of commune with them, ever? And if so, do any other Elves do so? Would this be a uniquely Silvan-elf talent, or would all Elves have the talent to some degree? Thanx, RAKSHA

Re: Questions for Lego-fans and Elf-friends

Interesting question, Raksha, and given the range of tree-talking abilities attributed to the Elves in various fanfics, you may get a variety of answers. I will try to answer from canon. Quote: ****************** "These are the strangest trees that ever I saw", he said; "and I have seen many an oak grow from acorn to ruinous age. I wish there were leisure now to walk among them; they have voices, and in time I might come to understand their thought." (The Road to Isengard, The Two Towers) ****************** Now these were Huorns, but the text does not indicate that either Aragorn or Gimli had any inkling that the trees had thoughts or speech, so clearly Legolas has a higher sensitivity in this area. I think this passage signifies that Elves did not ‘talk’ to trees on a regular basis, but it might also indicate that he possibly had done so before, or at least heard of others doing it. He is very curious about these trees, but does not seem overly shocked that trees could have voices and thoughts. Quote: ****************** Elves began it, of course, waking trees up and teaching them to speak and learning their tree-talk. They always wished to talk to everything, the old Elves did. (Treebeard, TTT) ****************** I think the ‘old Elves’ Treebeard referrers to here must have been the first Elves to awaken, so I’m guessing that the business of Elves talking to trees predates the division of the Elves by the Great Journey. Quote: ***************** [Gandalf speaking] ‘I think we will rest here, not only today, but tonight as well. There is a wholesome air about Hollin. Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there.’ ‘That is true,’ said Legolas. ‘But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk, and the trees and the grass do not now remember them. Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago.’ “The Ring Goes South,” FotR ****************** This passage appears to indicate enhanced perception of not only grass and trees, but stones as well. (At least stones that had been worked by Elves anyway. What would Gimli say about that?) My feeling is that canon supports the view that Elves had heightened perception of all things in nature – weather, plants, animals, even stones (at least in some cases). So, yes, Legolas could probably tell much more about a tree and its condition than any mortal, though that might be a very limited form of communication. And though the talent would extend to all Elves, I would imagine that the Wood-elves were more skilled at interpreting the trees’ signals – whatever form they took. I think the Elves would, in a way, commune with the trees and the trees would, of course, benefit from the blessing of their care. Hope that helps some, Ithildin *(

Thanx, Ithildin! It does sound like I could get away with having elves other than Legolas being able to at least hear the emanations from ordinary trees to some degree (i.e. basic tree 'emotion'); and with Leggy having an especially strong sensitivity, possibly due to his being a Wood-elf (wood-elves, trees, a match made in Valinor). But any Elvish tree-hugging will be purely platonic in nature! Now, knowing nothing about when trees bud or wake up from the winter, I have to figure out what ordinary trees might have to 'say' in Emyn Arnen in April and May...Probably should figure out what KIND of trees they are too. I am not a green-thumb type of person; and couldn't tell you the difference between an ash tree and an oak or a beech....Groan. I'll hit the books (TTT and the Atlas of Middle-Earth) again. RAKSHA

I have to figure out what ordinary trees might have to 'say' in Emyn Arnen in April and May.. don't forget that's the months when they pollinate.... snork... Gwynnyd (who promises to get back to the ent brothel story someday! Why, oh, why did I say "yes" when Liz threw that nuzgul?)

But in TTT, Sam notices the signs of spring in the wild parts of Ithilien, green stuff peeking up, flowers are opening (OF HERBS AND STEWED RABBIT), all sorts of plants I've never heard of; and I think it was early March. Would the trees in Emyn Arnen, which I think is supposed to be comparable to Italy in climate (?Tuscany), be pollinating, budding, or both? I don't really know much about pollinating, except that it has to do with bees (and flowers) and plant reproduction... And forgive me for asking this, I've probably asked before, but in the Fourth Age, did Legolas come to live in Northern or Southern Ithilien? I'd opt for Southern Ithilien, in that there's more room, but don't know that there's any woodland there... RAKSHA

Re: Northern or Southern Ithildien?

I think Legolas came to live in Northern Ithilien. It was at the Field of Cormallen when Legolas started talking about his desire to bring some of his folk to 'this fair land' in coming years. quote: “For the Field of Cormallen, where the host was now encamped, was near to Henneth Annûn, and the stream that flowed from its falls could be heard in the night as it rushed down through its rocky gate, and passed through the flowery meads in to the tides of Anduin by the Isle of Cair Andros. “ The Field of Cormallen, RotK And according to the map in LOTR that would place it in Northern Ithilien. Ithildin *(

Would the trees in Emyn Arnen, which I think is supposed to be comparable to Italy in climate (?Tuscany), be pollinating, budding, or both? I don't really know much about pollinating, except that it has to do with bees (and flowers) and plant reproduction... Check out this url Pollen in Italy article It is focused on allergies, but does list which types of trees are giving off pollen in Italy in which months. Have fun! Gwynnyd

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum