Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Anyone notice the similarities bewtween Tolkien/Rowling?

Anyone notice the similarities bewtween Tolkien/Rowling?

Tolkien: Dumbledor - some creature Rowling: Dumbledore - headmaster of wizard school Tolkien: Nazgul - fell creatures hooded and cloaked in black Rowling: Dementors - fell creatures hooded and cloaked in black Tolkien: Trolls are really stupid Rowling: Trolls are really stupid (not sure about this one, is it a known fact that trolls are really stupid?) Will list more when I remember...

Re: Anyone notice the similarities bewtween Tolkien/Rowling?

(not sure about this one, is it a known fact that trolls are really stupid?) Here's what Tolkien said: In their beginning far back in the twilight of the Elder Days, these were creatures of dull and lumpish nature and had no more language than beasts. But Sauron had made use of them, teaching them what little they could learn, and increasing their wits with wickedness. Trolls therefore took such language as they could master from the Orcs; and in the Westlands the Stone-trolls spoke a debased form of the Common Speech [think of Tom, Bert, & Bill, the three trolls from The Hobbit that Gandalf tricked into turning into stone when the sun rose]. But at the end of the Third Age a troll-race not before seen appeared in southern Mirkwood and in the mountain borders of Mordor. Olog-hai they were called in the Black Speech. That Sauron bred them none doubted, though from what stock was not known. Some held that they were not Trolls but giant Orcs; but the Olog-hai were in fashion of body and mind quite unlike even the largest of Orc-kind, whom they far surpassed in size and power. Trolls they were, but filled with the evil will of their master: a fell race, strong, agile, fierce and cunning, but harder than stone. Unlike the older race of the Twilight [T, B, & B again] they could endure the Sun, so long as the will of Sauron held sway over them. They spoke little, and the only tongue that they knew was the Black Speech of Barad-dûr. The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix F, The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age: Of Other Races Hope this helps! - Barbara (Edit: ) BTW, what is a Dumbledor supposed to be? I don't recall having run into that term anywhere in Tolkien canon... It's not in the Indices for Silm, LoTR, UT, or HoME... The Hobbit, unfortunately, doesn't have an index, but I don't recall seeing the name there, either.

Aragog, son of Arathog. ;-) (or giant spiders, if you prefer) Tolkien: Dark Lord who does not use his right name Rowling: Dark Lord whose name must not be spoken Tolkien: Father killed by dark side when hero is a baby (2) Rowling: Father killed by dark side when hero is a baby (1) Both: Hero an orphan at the time of the story Tolkien: Beorn Rowling: Hagrid I will add more, too, as I think of them. Karri

Aragog, son of Arathog. ;-) (or giant spiders, if you prefer) Tolkien: Beorn Rowling: Hagrid Giant spiders? Beorn equivalents? Hey, maybe I should read Harry Potter... - Barbara

Aragog is the name of the king of the giant spiders in HP, but he is not really the son of Arathog (that was a line in a breadbox edition written by an LOTR fan.) The Harry Potters are a good read. They are not Tolkien, mind you, but Rowling has done quite the job in creating an intriguing hero and magical world. If you are having a slow summer, you might consider giving them a try. (I prefer number 3 myself, but perhaps it is best to begin with 1.) My first exposure to HP was actually the second movie on an overseas flight without the headset. Without having a clue who was who and what was going on, I was watching such things as giant spiders and Hagrid and Dumbledore and thinking, 'wow, there is a lot from Tolkien in this.' Karri

Oh, thought of another one: Tolkien: Aragorn's destiny is foretold in prophecy. Rowling: Harry's destiny is foretold in prophecy. Karri

BTW, what is a Dumbledor supposed to be? I don't recall having run into that term anywhere in Tolkien canon... Um... I found this book in the library which had absolutely EVERY creature Tolkien invented in it, with bios and everything. I think the Dumbledor is a sort of insect? Will check...

more than slightly minor point, but I wonder if JKR got it from JRRT...? Barliman Butterbur is owner of The Prancing Pony in LOTR. Butterbeer is a drink at The Three Broomsticks in HP. Just a thought...

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum