Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Totally hypothetical slash question

Totally hypothetical slash question

I don't know how I got to thinking about this, and I know it's irrelevant to the Tolkien fandom, but here goes anyway: if you write a story in which a canon character who is acknowledged by the original author to be homosexual, engages in heterosexual relationships and/or activities, is it considered slash? Just curious. Methinks I have way too much time on my hands.

Re: Totally hypothetical slash question

if you write a story in which a canon character who is acknowledged by the original author to be homosexual, engages in heterosexual relationships and/or activities, is it considered slash? I'd say, no, becasue slash is usually defined as a same sex relationship. An alternative relationship for the character maybe, but stil het. Gwynnyd

I concur with Gwynnyd's assessment. According to The Fanfiction Glossary - to which we have a link posted in Resources slash is defined as:
A type of fic, often written by women, involving romantic or sexual involvement between two major canon characters of the same gender, originally mainly M/M (male/male) but lately shifting to include F/F (female/female) tales too. The term originates from the splinter of Trekdom which came up with the idea of "Kirk/Spock" stories -- the term "slash" comes from the slash (/) placed between the names of the characters involved. Also called "alternative fiction" in Xena ficdom. Pure sweet romantic slash is sometimes lumped under the term mook.
~Nessime

Thanks guys... I suspected as much. Ali

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum