Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: What does my name mean?

What does my name mean?

Meaning, what does Luthien mean? I don't remember coming across a definition in the Silm... do any of you more well-read types know anything about this? TIA

Re: What does my name mean?

I recall reading somewhere in the BoLT that Luthien meant "enchantress", but I could be wrong. Any other opinions? ~Meril

I just reread every page in the Sil that had Luthien's name on it, thinking it had to be there somewhere. It's not. I found the answer at the Encyclopedia of Arda, though. Look up Luthien and you can get stats about her, as well as a short bio. Meril is right, it means "Enchantress."

Meanwhile, the best I can do for "Ingloriel" is "daughter of the golden light." It seems to use the Sindarin words in meaning "the," glor--->glaur meaning "golden light," and iel meaning "daughter, maid." Just a curiosity. ^_^ Bado na sídh Berz.

When I first saw it, I thought "Daughter of Inglor" which was originally the name Tolkien used for Finrod. I don't not know much Quenya or Sindarin. "Daughter of the golden light" - That sounds so pretty.

XD Thanks! Enchantress daughter of the Golden Light... ^_^

Can someone tell me how to say 'Song of' as in 'Song of x'? TIA

Do you mean song as in let's gather round the campfire and sing a 1 minute song, or do you mean song as in an epic poetry type song? The first, I honestly don't know, but I'd guess "Lay" would be the word for song when dealing with the epic poetry type. An example would be the "Lay of Leithian"

If you're looking for a Sindarin title, I would say Narn X for "Song of X." It's the same as in Narn i Hin Hurin, meaning "Song of the Children of Hurin." Tolkien used narn to be "story in meter or sung, a lay." If you're looking for a story that isn't sung or recited rhythmically, use the word pent. So, for "Lay of Leithian" one would write in Sindarin Narn Leithian. Whereas for "Story of Beren and Luthien" one would say Pent Beren a Luthien. ^_^ Bado na siidh. Berz.

How about for just a normal song? For example, Song of the Trees or something. Can be used as a song or a short poem. That would be pent right? What about in Quenya? Sorry if getting annoying

Nothing annoying about wanting to learn more stuff. ^_^ Pent is story. For "Song of the Trees," you want to use narn. It would come out to be Narn i Gelaidh. As for Quenya, I don't actually know any, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. My knowledge is limited to Sindarin. Check the Languages of Arda forum, though. Someone there might know. Bado na siidh! ^_^ Berz.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum