Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: the word periannath

the word periannath

What, if any, is the feminine form of perian/periannath? I'm trying to write about a married hobbit with several children from the point of view of an elf, so hobbit-maid and hobbit-lass both seem at least slightly inappropriate, and neither "hobbit woman" nor "female hobbit" are pleasing to my ear.

Re: the word periannath

There's really no way to actually feminise (femininise?) words in Elvish. You might try adding the basic -wen ending, for perianwen, although this still has the connotation of "Hobbit-maiden". If you're daring, you might be willing to postulate that -eth is some sort of feminine ending, considering that it changes adan, “mortal man”, to adaneth “mortal woman”. By this, then, something like perianeth might be conceivable.

-Aerlinnel

-iriel and -iniel seem to be feminine endings in Sindarin names.

Close. -iel means "daughter of", whereas -riel means "garlanded maiden", as in Galadriel "Light-Garlanded Maiden". But good point - I hadn't thought of those.

-Aerlinnel

Great, thanks! I'm liking perianeth. We'll see if the story in question ever progresses far enough that I need to use it!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum