Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Gondor and Rohan's relationship

Gondor and Rohan's relationship

Does anyone know if, in canon, Aragorn was some type of 'High King' over the land of Rohan? I've always seen Rohan as a totally independent country, with strong ties to each other. But I've seen a couple of stories where authors have either directly or indirectly referred to Aragorn as the high king and made Eomer sort of subservient to Aragorn. I assume this is just an error on the part of these authors, but perhaps I am wrong.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Radbooks

Re: Gondor and Rohan's relationship

Hi Radbooks,

You're right, Radbooks, that is an error. Rohan is an entirely independent kingdom from Gondor, subject to its own laws.

The Gift of Cirion gave the land to the Éothéod (later called the Rohirrim) as an independent realm under its own king and laws, subject only to perpetual friendship to Gondor -- and Gondor is also subject to the perpetual friendship clause:

"To Eorl I will give in free gift all the great land of Calenardhon from Anduin to Isen. There, if he will, he shall be king, and his heirs after him, and his people shall dwell in freedom while the authority of the Stewards endures, until the Great King returns. No bond shall be laid upon them other than their own laws and will, save in this only: they shall live in perpetual friendship with Gondor and its enemies shall be their enemies while both realms endure. But the same bond shall be laid also on the people of Gondor."

Unfinished Tales, Part 3, Ch 2, Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan: Cirion and Eorl

The Oath of Eorl and Oath of Cirion formalized the bond of mutual friendship and military assistance between Gondor and Rohan, in the name of the Stewards, and it was renewed when Aragorn became king:

"In Gondor the King Elessar now ruled, and in Arnor also. In all the lands of those realms of old he was king, save in Rohan only; for he renewed to Éomer the gift of Cirion, and Éomer took again the Oath of Eorl."

The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: The House of Eorl

Hope this helps!
- Barbara

Thanks so much! It does help and it is what I thought, but as I was writing my story, I thought I'd better make sure. I certainly do not want to continue that error!

Radbooks

Thanks so much! It does help and it is what I thought, but as I was writing my story, I thought I'd better make sure.

You're welcome! Always glad to help authors figure out what is canon vs. fanon.... ;)

- Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum