Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: the spirit of an elf - visible to other elves?

the spirit of an elf - visible to other elves?

I seem to remember vaguely that there is some about the elven spirit or fea that other elves "recognize" or can sense in some way. Is this a hallucination? Does this mean that if a person walked up to an elf in the dark, say, they would know the person was an elf without seeing what they looked like? Or, more pertinent for me, would they know the person was not an elf without needing further information?

thanks!
docmon

Re: the spirit of an elf - visible to other elves?

I seem to remember vaguely that there is some about the elven spirit or fea that other elves "recognize" or can sense in some way. Is this a hallucination?

All I remember is that Elves recognised when one of their number was bonded/married. But I don't know from which HoMe volume this is.

And there is a passage in FotR, Three is company (about Gildor & Company):

"They passed slowly, and the hobbits could see the starlight gimmering on their hair and in their eyes. They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, light the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet."

And of course, Glorfindel, too, shines with an inner light; but think it cannot be seen by all. Frodo sees it as wears the Ring at the Ford, and Gandalf later explains the reason. 

That's all I can think of right now; hope it helps at least a little.

Imhiriel

All I remember is that Elves recognised when one of their number was bonded/married. But I don't know from which HoMe volume this is.

Ah, I think this is where I'm getting the whole idea from. I know they can see or sense that another elf is bonded or married with another. Maybe my imagination took that little bit and ran with it. 

I'm trying to figure out if there's an inherent elvishness that elves sense about another. To put it plainly, if a person looks like an elf, sounds like an elf, acts like an elf - would another elf assume they are indeed an elf?

The crucial question is, if said person were not an elf, would an elf suspect that person's origins based on something other than the good ole 5 senses?

And yeah, the story would be an AU, how'd ya guess? And I'm trying to make sure my premise would work. If this doesn't fly, it kinda would blow up the story. So, honestly, I'm hoping for a "yes, the elf would accept the person as elf." So, if the answer's no, any leeway in that direction at least would be helpful!

thanks!

docmon 

>>The crucial question is, if said person were not an elf, would an elf suspect that person's origins based on something other than the good ole 5 senses?

There is the bit in Unfinished Tales in which Voronwe first sees Tuor and mistakes him for an Elf . Upon closer examination, he realises that Tuor is a Man, but we're not told how Voronwe knows this. I can't remember if Tuor pushes back his hood, giving Voronwe a better look at him (and perhaps the presence/absence of pointy ears, which are themselves canonically ambiguous). If anyone could be mistaken for an Elf, I should think it would be Tuor, but it might be a physical difference that could be easily masked. For one thing, I think the glow of Glorfindel is related to his status as one of the reborn and one of the Elves of Aman. Gildor's company is also made up of exiles from Aman (whatever PJ might think).

Thank you for that bit of info, erunyauve!

This is just the kind of tidbit I'm looking for. If Tuor was mistaken for an elf, then Voronwe was, as far as we can tell, relying on how Tuor looked - or on his own expectations. Regardless of what threw him off, he couldn't sense what Tuor truly was. 

I'm in agreement that the Glorfindel's glow-stick status is his special prize, and that elves do not, in fact, glow. So, that too is not an issue. But pointy ears canonically ambiguous? That's a new one to me. Didn't know that. Huh, learn something new every day! 

Thanks again for the info. Judging from this tidbit, and hoping one tidbit is enough, I'd say I'm good to go on my premise! <phew!> That's good, since I kinda already started writing the story...  Wink

docmon

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum