Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: The daughters of Finwë and Indis

The daughters of Finwë and Indis

Hello!

It’s been days of sifting through borrowed books and searching off the internet and to not much avail have I got my answers.

Who exactly are Findis, Faniel and Irien?

Through the HASA character list they are the children of Finwë and Indis and they make a brief appearance in the Shibboleth of Fëanor, but is there any more about these two women who undoubtedly played a large, over-looked, role in Valinor (or at least Tirion), as the daughters of the High-king of the Noldor? Finarfin and Fingolfin were highly respected princes, but what about their sisters? Findis was after all the first child of Finwë and Indis and Irien supposedly went with her brother into exile and whatever happened to Faniel?

Any speculations anyone could lend me in my hunt after the two/three daughters of Finwë and Indis?

Re: The daughters of Finwë and Indis

Alas, according to my HoMe index, they are mentioned only in HoMe 10 and 12. Both books simply have them in lists of Finwë's children, with the only additional information being what you already know.

Any speculations anyone could lend me in my hunt after the two/three daughters of Finwë and Indis?

I can pass on a dandy speculation I got from Aerlinnel, that Glorfindel could have been Irien's son. It would explain the golden hair, and the reason he might be a lord of Turgon's court.

Lyllyn

Re: The daughters of Finwë and Indis

Oh Lyllyn (and Aerlinnel!) thankyou heaps for that! I never even thought that Glorfindel might be Irien’s son and it would fit perfectly because Irien did leave Aman, unlike Findis, and she could have had golden hair too, like Finarfin, from Indis.

That’s brilliant!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum