Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Extended bios- sign up

Extended bios- sign up

Use this topic to sign up for a bio you want to do. This would involve a more extended bio, essays on particular issues, etc. Please check the list (I will keep updating) to avoid duplicate work. Obviously in the essay category, characters can have essays by many different people.

The list so far:
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Denethor - Aralanthiriel
Elladan and Elrohir - Tyellas
Glorfindel - Lyllyn

Re: Extended bios- sign up

Another victim...er, volunteer.

The list so far:
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Denethor - Aralanthiriel
Glorfindel - Lyllyn
Halbarad - Dwimordene

Lyllyn

Hey! I am a victim! A victim of a nuzgul...

I've filled in a bunch of Halbarad material. Anyone want to tell me if I'm doing this right?

Also, if I am doing this right, and I've given what you're looking for in a full bio, I should note that setting "Halbarad" to "full bio" makes his entry disappear. So for the moment, he's in the "simple bio" section.

I'd love to do Túrin. I see he has no simple bio yet either - does he need that first followed by more extensive stuff? And does the extended bio therefore involve discussion of major Túrin-issues like the Curse?

I am currently working on gathering a lot of information on Aragorn for my own writing, so I could do an extended bio for him.

Do we have a template for an extended bio? It seems I saw one at some point but I could be dreaming.

Is there a time frame for completing the bio?

Dwim - this is indeed a full bio, but we haven't set that up yet. Leave it where it is (it's great material!) until we figure that part out.

Eledhwen - I'd like to get a simple bio on Túrin, and then add material and link to essays later. I think many members would be interested in a discussion of the curse or other pertinent issues. Since we are still setting up, I'm not sure if it would be better to put it all in one, or do an extended bio with facts, and then an essay exploring issues which might also contain speculation. I am interested in hearing views on what would be useful if you were using the material, and issues on preparing it.

julesraven, as above, we are still brainstorming template or no. Since we don't have any code in place for this, and I know Ang's got lots else she's working on, we have no time frame. If anyone comes up with an essay prior to getting the code in place, you can do one of two things:
Post it as a general story, with 'Research Article' as the genre. OR
Email it to me and I will hold it until we are ready.
If you do post it as a general story, email me so I know it's there when we are ready to link.

The list so far:
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Denethor - Aralanthiriel (done)
Elladan and Elrohir - Tyellas (previously posted)
Glorfindel - Lyllyn (previously posted)
Halbarad - Dwimordene (done)
Merry and Pippin - Llinos
Túrin - Eledhwen
Aragorn - Julesraven

Lyllyn

Ang/Aulë pops in for a second:

If you have an essay or bit of extended writing, take a look at the example of Aralanthiriel's Denethor collection, and then put something together. If it is in the database as a chapter, I can work with it in the future. The one thing to be careful of is not to create *mulitple* articles for a single character - there should be multiple chapters inside a single article.

As far as Yllyn and I have thrashed things out, there will be something like this:

Each character in the databse will have a bio fact sheet. This is already in place.

Each character in the database *can* have an "Essay Collection" - which is bascially a fancy way of saying there will be a story (a master listing) dedicated to a character, and that there will be chapters donated by one or more people over time discussing that character. Some thought had been given to making the first couple of chapters standard for each charater - such as an introduction, a discussion of divergent information (Just where *did* Galadriel and Celeboirn first meet?) and then interpretive and information pieces (some very short, others more extensive) that can be added to indefinitely. Since the structure of the collection is the same as a regular research article, this data can begin to be set up right now.

What I have to do is:

1. Create a way to connect a character bio to an essay collection, and then reverse that connection so an essay conenction links back to the bio.

2. Fiddle with control settings so that many people can contribute to a particular collection, instead of only a story auhtor being able to post chapters to their own story. I think it will work something like this. Someone writes up an essay or article. They click over to Ressources and locate the character collection they want to add to. They can click on an "Add Essay/Notes" link, and fill out a standard chapter form. They click "Submit" and it goes in "private" mode to where a researcher and/or admin checks it for spelling, gramar, and tomake sure it is not redundant of material already there for a character. Click, and the chapter becomes "public" and is part of the collection.

The big project (I'm still trying to figure out the datamappings) is going to be timelines - how to make timelines that can stand independently, but are also linked to characters and can have characters linked back to them.

I can also see having the character lists on stories be hyperlinked to the specific character bios and collections.

Oh, dear, don't get me going. I have way too many irons in the fire! :-)

Ang

Okay, I'll get you a simple bio done and then do something like the Denethor extended bio, as a start. I'll include some info about the various versions of the Narn i Hin Húrin because I think that's one of the difficulties about Túrin - which version to source from!

I'll include some info about the various versions of the Narn i Hin Húrin because I think that's one of the difficulties about Túrin - which version to source from!

Yes! Túrin is one of the characters that cries out for discussion, because of the alternate versions. This should be a great resource for the members.

Lyllyn

He was also one of the three characters who was named in a long-ago poll (last October) as the JRRT character people most wanted an extensive bio done on. The top vote getter was Elrond (has anyone volunteered for Erond?), followed by Turin. Galadriel and Sauron were next.

Aragorn, Eomer, Eowyn and Thranduil were flagged as characters of interest, with Boromir, Denethor, Gandalf, Gimli and Legolas finishing out the vote-getters.

Ang

Well, since I'm trying to untangle his background for my own curiosity, I'll tackle Celeborn.

Ying

I'm working on some Legolas material. I have a lot collected, just working through writing it up in suitable form.

Ithildin

I think I'd be interested in doing some more research on Ancalimë and putting together an extended bio. She's quite a fascinating character, IMHO.

~Aralanthiriel

Updated current list:

Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Celeborn - Ying
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Legolas - Ithildin
Túrin - Eledhwen

Lyllyn

I claim Thranduil and Oropher. Their bios are too entwined at some points, can I have both of them?

I claim Thranduil and Oropher. Their bios are too entwined at some points, can I have both of them?

They are yours Dimmie!

Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Celeborn - Ying
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Legolas - Ithildin
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Túrin - Eledhwen

Lyllyn

Nyah... must... resist.... Oh ok, a small one.

Can I have Gilraen? Please?

Nyah... must... resist.... Oh ok, a small one.
Look at the nice, shiny object. You will not resist. You will not resist.

Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Celeborn - Ying
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Gilraen - Dwimordene
Legolas - Ithildin
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Túrin - Eledhwen

Lyllyn

Look at the nice, shiny object. You will not resist. You will not resist.

Clearly not. I am *so* going to sic the most voracious, the most *evil* nuzgul on you one of these days as payback, you know....

I am *so* going to sic the most voracious, the most *evil* nuzgul on you one of these days as payback, you know....

I don't suppose it'll help if I tell you it's too late? I already inflicted one of the worst possible on myself.

Unfortunately I suspect with all your experience as a nuzgul purveyor extraordinaire, you will find a more evil one.

Lyllyn

I have posted my bio of Galadriel to Beta. It is larger than many stories that are submitted to the archive. (3100 words) I would appreciate any comments or corrections.

mk

And I've posted my bio of Túrin to Beta also. There's plenty of scope for addition later in the form of more detailed essays on the curse, etc. etc.! Any comments also very welcome.

Lyllyn, Celadine already has research articles done on the Valar and the Maiar.

Ying

Thanks for reminding me. When we're ready to link up that will get linked to the simple bio.

Lyllyn

Ithildin -

I'm sure you can handle this all on your own, but I have some thoughts on the matter of Legolas myself. If I submitted to you some material about his age, heritage, etc. in an acceptable form, would you consider putting it to use?

Sorry for bothering you.

~~Vikki

Current updated list:

Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Celeborn - Ying
Elrond - Vicki
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Gilraen - Dwimordene (done)
Legolas - Ithildin
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Túrin - Eledhwen

Sure you don't want another, Dwim?

Lyllyn

Stay. Away. From. Me.

Dwim, not needing any nuzgul from resources. Have far too many already!

quote:
Ithildin -
I'm sure you can handle this all on your own, but I have some thoughts on the matter of Legolas myself. If I submitted to you some material about his age, heritage, etc. in an acceptable form, would you consider putting it to use?
Sorry for bothering you.
~~Vikki
Not a bother, Vikki. I would be most happy to take your material into consideration. Please send it fairly soon, as the first section (which deals with the topics you mentioned) is nearing completion. I look forward to your contributions!

Keep in mind that your material could be posted as a separate essay if it doesn’t work out to incorporate it with mine.

I am certainly enjoying working on this project!

Ithildin

Not a bother, Vikki. I would be most happy to take your material into consideration. Please send it fairly soon, as the first section (which deals with the topics you mentioned) is nearing completion. I look forward to your contributions!

Yay! Thank you - I will be sending a proper essay via e-mail as soon as I can get my thoughts (and the facts) down on paper - or rather, a computer screen.

~~Vikki

Keep in mind that your material could be posted as a separate essay if it doesn’t work out to incorporate it with mine.

I am certainly enjoying working on this project!

I've written the first part of the essay on matters about Legolas' race. However, as I'm not terribly pleased with it (un-betaed, un ... well, un-everything), I'm putting it up for beta, sending that part to you, and sending it to the list.

And tomorrow (if I'm not drugged to insanity) I'll finish the essay's first draft, including the matter of age .. and then, on to Elrond, Elros, and peredhels in general! *poses heroically as the Nuzgul drag her down*

ugh ... I need a drink of water ...
~~Victoria

I have collected a lot of material regarding Faramir for some stories I am currently working on. Could I sign up for the Faramir bio? I might even be able to tackle on Shelob's character factsheet, since this one has not been done yet, and I would absolutely "love" to help with the timelines! I have drafted a couple myself, for visualizing purposes and for getting some facts straight for my own fics. I'll be checking often to see when this will be done, and I'd be delighted to help out in any way I can.

Bombadil Lives!

Hm, and I just bet I'm going to end up doing an extended bio for him... OK, Lyllyn, put me down for it!

Dúnedain bio

Ok, so the nuz gul bit and I went and did something along the lines of Halbarad and Gilraen for the Dúnedain. It's in "full bio" but if anyone else would like to add to it or elaborate more than I did, it's all yours. For me, the resource nuzgul is defanged. Yay!

Re: Dúnedain bio

Character bios now have 11 extended bios up, 12 if you count the twins as two. So, lots of room for more for anyone who wants to contribute.

Current updated list for extended bios:

Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Celeborn - Ying
Denethor - Aralanthiriel (posted)
Dunedain - Dwimordene (posted)
Elladan and Elrohir - Tyellas (posted)
Elrond - Vicki
Faramir - Starlight
Frodo - Combined, Sorrowful Eagle (posted)
Galadriel - Mike Kellner (posted)
Gilraen - Dwimordene (done)
Glorfindel - Lyllyn (posted)
Halbarad - Dwimordene (posted)
Legolas - Ithildin (posted)
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Tom Bombadil - Altariel
Túrin - Eledhwen (posted)

Lyllyn

Re: Extended bio

I've put the Celeborn extended bio in beta. I'd appreciate a look through please.

Thanks,
Ying

I've put the Celeborn extended bio in beta. I'd appreciate a look through please.

I just had a quick scan of the bio, and I really like how you separated the contradictions into 3 sections to explain Celeborn's origin.
One part really bothers me though, the part which says (under the Celeborn of Doriath section) "After the final battle of the Last Alliance, Celeborn and his family settled in Lorien, where they became it's guardian Lord and Lady since the death of the king, Amdir, who died in the final battle."
Didn't Galadriel and Celeborn live in Belfalas for a while in the Third Age? It was stated in UT that they didn't go back to Lorien until Amroth was lost.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

~Loqi

Didn't Galadriel and Celeborn live in Belfalas for a while in the Third Age? It was stated in UT that they didn't go back to Lorien until Amroth was lost. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I think it's more of me super-condensing the Doriath version and forgetting to incorporate Amroth's other history. Thanks for catching that; I'll edit.

Y.

I'll do Gil-galad if no one else does. Be warned, it may take a bit (I'm rather busy at the moment), and I may need help on some of the different versions (I only have Silmarillion, LotR and UT 1, not HoME)

I'll do Gil-galad if no one else does.

Great!

Be warned, it may take a bit (I'm rather busy at the moment), and I may need help on some of the different versions (I only have Silmarillion, LotR and UT 1, not HoME)

I have HoME 1 through 5, and 12; I'll look for your requests. You can also request information in the 'HoME Reference Requests' discussion in the Resource Forum.

Current list:
Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Celeborn - Ying
Denethor - Aralanthiriel (posted)
Dunedain - Dwimordene (posted)
Elladan and Elrohir - Tyellas (posted)
Elrond - Vicki
Faramir - Starlight
Frodo - Combined, Sorrowful Eagle (posted)
Galadriel - Mike Kellner (posted)
Gil-galad - Kazaera
Gilraen - Dwimordene (posted)
Glorfindel - Lyllyn (posted)
Halbarad - Dwimordene (posted)
Legolas - Ithildin (posted)
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Tom Bombadil - Altariel
Túrin - Eledhwen (posted)
Voronwë - Lyllyn (posted)

Lyllyn

Celeborn - Ying

Ying just posted Celeborn's bio up yesterday.

~Loqi

Ying just posted Celeborn's bio up yesterday.

Thanks Loqi, for alerting me to the bio. I emailed her, and when she is ready to switch it over from Beta it will go up in the Research article section.

Lyllyn

Well, I'll do an extended bio on Boromir. Like Kazaera, it may take me a little while, but I'll do the best I can.

Um. Do I just use the "add a chapter" link in the Research Articles section? What if I wanted to add something to his simple bio?

Thanks!
-Rachel

Re: Celeborn bio

...when she is ready to switch it over from Beta it will go up in the Research article section.

Ready! Thanks, Lyllyn.

Oh, and Marnie wrote a short essay on Celeborn called 'That tall fellow next to Galadriel'. I've asked her to contact you about linking it to the Celeborn bio.

Y

Re: Boromir bio

: Well, I'll do an extended bio on Boromir. Like Kazaera, it may take me a little while, but I'll do the best I can.

Um. Do I just use the "add a chapter" link in the Research Articles section? What if I wanted to add something to his simple bio?

Rachel, I have changed your site access to 'researcher' which enables you to add to the character bios. If you go to the character bios, you will now see an 'edit' button.

The 'add a chapter' link is for adding to research articles such as the minor character compilations, or any other collaborative projects that get going (so start thinking about any we should do!)

Post or email any questions.

Lyllyn

I'd be glad to do one for Erendis, though I am not sure about what is involved, and how to do it.

~Moriel

I'd be glad to do one for Erendis, though I am not sure about what is involved, and how to do it.

Happy to have Erendis' bio, Moriel!

You might look at some of the finished extended bios or research articles on individuals.

One way to start is to assemble all available information on your subject. For Erendis most of the information will be in Unfinished Tales. My 'History of Middle-earth Index' only has 2 pages in HoME Vol 11 listed, so you won't find much outside UT.

Once you have all the facts, see if those facts suggest anything else. Conclusions or speculations that are clearly labeled and can be supported by the available information are of great interest.

If you are unsure, you can always post it in Beta and ask here for commentary. You can also email me with any questions, or post them here.

Current list:
Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Boromir - Shadow 975
Elrond - Vicki
Erendis - Moriel
Faramir - Starlight
Gil-galad - Kazaera
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Tom Bombadil - Altariel

Already posted:
(but essays exploring aspects of these characters still welcome!)
Celeborn - Ying
Denethor - Aralanthiriel
Dunedain - Dwimordene
Frodo - Combined, Sorrowful Eagle
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Gilraen - Dwimordene
Glorfindel - Lyllyn
Halbarad - Dwimordene
Legolas - Ithildin
Túrin - Eledhwen
Voronwë - Lyllyn

Lyllyn

er...just to say, I have e-mailed you before, Lyllyn, but just to confirm, I think I am doing Aegnor and Shadowfax.

er...just to say, I have e-mailed you before, Lyllyn, but just to confirm, I think I am doing Aegnor and Shadowfax.

Thanks for reminding me, Simbelmynë. Sorry for the confusion.

I think I lost a few updates from this list. Ashe are you out there? I think I lost yours also.

Current list:
Aegnor - Simbelmynë
Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Boromir - Shadow 975
Elrond - Vicki
Erendis - Moriel
Faramir - Starlight
Gil-galad - Kazaera
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Shadowfax - Simbelmynë
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Tom Bombadil - Altariel
Witch-king - Lyllyn

Lyllyn

Lyllyn, I'll tackle Elwë (Thingol) and Olwë next.

Ying

Current list:
Aegnor - Simbelmynë
Ancalimë - Aralanthiriel
Aragorn - Julesraven
Boromir - Shadow 975
Elrond - Vicki
Elwë - Ying
Erendis - Moriel
Faramir - Starlight
Gil-galad - Kazaera
Olwë - Ying
Oropher - Dim Genesis
Shadowfax - Simbelmynë
Thranduil - Dim Genesis
Tom Bombadil - Altariel
Witch-king - Lyllyn

Already posted:
(but essays exploring aspects of these characters still welcome!)
Celeborn - Ying
Denethor - Aralanthiriel
Dunedain - Dwimordene
Frodo - Combined, Sorrowful Eagle
Galadriel - Mike Kellner
Gilraen - Dwimordene
Glorfindel - Lyllyn
Halbarad - Dwimordene
Legolas - Ithildin
Túrin - Eledhwen
Voronwë - Lyllyn

Lyllyn (Pay no heed to author tag, ID swapping is rampant!)

Olwë - Ying

Oops, I just remembered that Olwë is in the minor character section. I don't think an extended bio is possible in this case?

Ying

Oops, I just remembered that Olwë is in the minor character section. I don't think an extended bio is possible in this case?

I had forgotten too. You can still do a bio for minor characters in as much detail as you like, the more the better. Finch already posted one on Olwë in minor characters. If you feel there is more material, it can be added.

Of course ::rubs hands:: you could always pick someone else...

Lyllyn (even though it says Dwim, it lies)

If I find anything more on Olwë, I'll add to the bio.

Of course ::rubs hands:: you could always pick someone else...

I knew you were going to say that. I'll let you know after I finish Elwë...

Ying

This may not be the best place to ask, but would anybody add Amarie the Vanyar? There are quite a lot of stories about her out there.

This may not be the best place to ask, but would anybody add Amarie the Vanyar? There are quite a lot of stories about her out there.

Simbelmynë,
I have reposted this in the Character list request discussion.
For future use, the best place is in the Welcome conference (maybe we should move it?) under 'Site improvement suggestions'.

Lyllyn

I searched and found four stories that named her in summary, so I've just added her. Now the authors need to revise their story info and add her to their character lists!

But this means that she'll show as a character needing a bio, too.

Cel

*chirp*
can I be of any help here? I have lots stored up in my mind about ... practically every person in the Noldorin royal family, plus much name meanings and appearance...
Lyllyn, can you please remind me of what characters I'm supposed to do? I think I lost the email.
Thanx thanx...

Re: Extended bios

Just FYI- I've added one for Thengel and Morwen of Lossarnach. I just did one research article for both since most of Morwen's is conjecture. If you'd care to give it a once-over (in your spare time! ) that would be great.

I'm addicted now...

Re: Extended bios

Great! I like addicts of this kind!

I'm traveling again, so my connection time for the next 5 days will be very limited. I'll check it over once I return home.

Keep at it! (I share your disease, obviously!)

Lylllyn

Um, Lyllyn, is this the right area to ask for minor changes to existing bios? I mean, without being strong-armed, er, requested, um, invited to become a full-fledged researcher? (I'm spending all my free time working on this "little" genealogical tree that "grew" into a Giant Sequoia, the tallest trees on Earth.)

Here are my requests, and feel free to move this post if it's misplaced (as I suspect...)

1) Haldir's bio has two related places, Lorien and Lothlorien. Would you (or someone) please copy both of these to the Rumil - Third Age bio? (If I ever find a definitive meaning for R's name, I'll let you know.)

and...

2) Ingwe's spouse is (tentatively, I think) listed as Indis. This should be removed, because Indis is in fact Finwe's 2nd wife. I have yet to figure out if Ingwe's wife is named anywhere -- if I ever find it, I'll send you the info and citation (after adding them to my genealogy, of course!).

Sorry for not typing in the proper accents and umlauts and stuff. I'm tired, and Character Map gets **so** annoying after a while. (Not to mention, on a 1400x1050 monitor, when I'm tired I can't even tell whether I put an accent over an "i" or not. Or is it an umlaut? Or one of those hat thingies? (Dwarvish and Adunaic have entirely too many hat thingies.) Or, for that matter, is it an "l" and not an "i"? These are burning questions late at night...questions that need answering...)

Elena, many of the characters do not have links as this capability was added after the bios - thanks for alerting me that Rumil had not yet been linked. I'll take care of it tonight when I get home. I'll also check on Ingwe - definitely Indis should be Finwe's wife!

Don't worrry about the diacritical marks (general description for all of them).

Lyllyn

Elena, many of the characters do not have links as this capability was added after the bios - thanks for alerting me that Rumil had not yet been linked. I'll take care of it tonight when I get home. I'll also check on Ingwe - definitely Indis should be Finwe's wife!

Thanks, Lyllyn!

Don't worrry about the diacritical marks (general description for all of them).

Yeah, I know. Usually. When I've had sleep... or coffee. But not too much coffee...

- Barbara

Would you (or someone) please copy both of these to the Rumil - Third Age bio?

It's done.

Ingwe's spouse is (tentatively, I think) listed as Indis.

I just checked Ingwe's bio, Indis is listed as his sibling completed with a question mark and "not certain" in brackets.

Good luck with your project!

~Loqi

Would you (or someone) please copy both of these to the Rumil - Third Age bio?

It's done.

Ingwe's spouse is (tentatively, I think) listed as Indis.

I just checked Ingwe's bio, Indis is listed as his sibling completed with a question mark and "not certain" in brackets.

Many thanks, Loqi! (And Happy New Year to all!)

Lyllyn

Thank you very much, Loqi and Lyllyn!

DOH! Don't know how I misread the Ingwe bio... ;-)

But then, I'm the one who was wondering what Helm Hammerhand's sister's name was (thinking it must be Hilde, since her son's name was Something Hildeson), but realized it (Hild) was **straight** in front of me, in the paragraph I had just been staring at... for far too long, obviously!

Thanks for the good wishes on the project... I didn't expect it to turn into a major obsession... and a crazy-making one, at that!

Happy New Year!

- Barbara

Thanks for the good wishes on the project... I didn't expect it to turn into a major obsession... and a crazy-making one, at that!

Those resource!nuzguls have very sharp fangs. Join the club.

Lyllyn

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.