Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Obsolete thread Places entered A - D

Obsolete thread Places entered A - D

A Adorn Adurant Aglarond, The Glittering Caves of Aldburg Alqualondë Amon Anwar Amon Dîn Amon Hen Amon Lhaw Androth Anduin Andúnië Andustar Anfalas Anfauglith Angband Anghabar Angmar Annon-in-Gelydh Annúminas Anórien Arandor Argonath Armenelos Arnor Arthedain Arvernien Avallónë B Bag End Balar, Isle of Barad-dûr Barrow-downs Bay of Belfalas Bay of Eldanna Belegost Beleriand Belfalas Belfalas, Bay of Bilbo's room Bottommost Cellar of Erebor Brandy Hall Brandywine Bridge, The Brandywine River Bree Bree-land Bridge of Khazad-dûm Brilthor Brithombar Brown Lands, The Bruinen, Ford of Bruinen River Bruinen, Stone bridge Buckland Buckland Gate Bucklebury Ferry Landing Bywater C Cair Andros Calenhad Caradhras Caras Galadhon Cardolan Carn Dûm Carnen Carrock, The Carrock, The Ford of Celduin Celebdil Celebrant Cerin Amroth Chamber of Thror Chamber of, Mazarbul Cirith Gorgor Cirith Thoronath Cirith Ungol Cirith Ungol, The Tower of City of the Corsairs Cobas Haven Corsairs, City of the Court of the Fountain Crickhollow Crickhollow, The House at Crossroads D Dagorlad Dale Dead Marshes Deeping Stream Deeping Wall, The Dimrill Dale Dol Amroth Dol Guldur Doom, Mount Dor Firn-I-Guinar Dor-en-Ernil Doriath Dor-Lómin Dorthonion Dorwinion Drúadan Forest Drúwaith Iaur Duilwen Dunharrow Dunland Durin's Tower

Re: Places entered A - D

---- Revised: 4 Jul 04 ---- A Adorn Adurant Aglarond, Glittering Caves of Aldburg Alqualondë Amon Anwar Amon Dîn Amon Hen Amon Lhaw Androth Anduin Andúnië Andustar Anfalas Anfauglith Angband Anghabar Angmar Annon-in-Gelydh Annúminas Anórien Arandor Argonath Armenelos Arnor Arthedain Arvernien Avallónë B Bag End Balar, Isle of Barad-dûr Barrow-downs Bay of Belfalas Bay of Eldanna Belegost Beleriand Belfalas Belfalas, Bay of Bilbo's room Bottommost Cellar of Erebor Brandy Hall Brandywine Bridge Brandywine River Bree Bree-land Bridge of Khazad-dûm Bridge, Last ** New ** Brilthor Brithombar Brown Lands Bruinen River Bruinen, Ford of Buckland Buckland Gate Bucklebury Ferry Landing Bywater C Cair Andros Calenhad Caradhras Caras Galadhon Cardolan Carn Dûm Carnen Carrock Carrock, Ford of Celduin Celebdil Celebrant Cerin Amroth Chamber of Thror Chamber of, Mazarbul Cirith Gorgor Cirith Thoronath Cirith Ungol Cirith Ungol, Tower of Cirith Ungol, Two Watchers of the Tower of ** New ** City of the Corsairs Cobas Haven Corsairs, City of the Court of the Fountain Crickhollow Crickhollow, House at Crossroads D Dagorlad Dale Dead Marshes Deeping Stream Deeping Wall Dimrill Dale Dol Amroth Dol Guldur Doom, Ring of Dor Firn-I-Guinar Dor-en-Ernil Doriath Dor-Lómin Dorthonion Dorwinion Drúadan Forest Drúwaith Iaur Duilwen Dunharrow Dunland Durin's Tower

P.S. The above list was edited, and is final... in case you saw my temporary note to ignore it. - Barbara

Delete my entry: Amon Anwar: see Halifirien and also: Halifirien: see Amon Anwar We have both entries in the Library... sorry, I didn't catch that. - B

Barbara, this brings up good questions. In many ways, I'd like the list of synonyms to stand by itself, so people might add them as a separate entry with the "see xyz..." My version of the obsessive bug was to go through my list and keep synonyms in a separate color so that I knew the main entry was done, but the synonym not yet entered. In terms of breaking up words, I don't want the entries to do that, but I tried to list them here under as many variants as I thought people might check. That way, someone wouldn't check "bridge of the stonebows" under 'B', not find it, and make a duplicate entry. Does any of this make sense? Do you have any thoughts about improving the organization of it? Lyllyn

Barbara, this brings up good questions. In many ways, I'd like the list of synonyms to stand by itself, so people might add them as a separate entry with the "see xyz..." If I understand correctly, that this list is intended to be one that someone *cough* like me, for example *cough* would check before adding a new Places entry, then I believe that both the Place Names (as used in the database) and the Synonyms should be sorted together in the same list. I personally might be disciplined enough to check one list before I add an entry, but I'm not sure about two lists... No, I'm pretty sure that *I'm* not that disciplined... My version of the obsessive bug was to go through my list and keep synonyms in a separate color so that I knew the main entry was done, but the synonym not yet entered. Using color for administering your personal Master List is a great idea, which I've adopted for my Links spreadsheet: I use color to highlight the individuals, places, and things that I look up most often. And, I've added the alphabet entries like yours. Thank you for the great ideas (especially since I just expanded the list from 400 to 700 entries by adding the Places Synonyms...)! In terms of breaking up words, I don't want the entries to do that, but I tried to list them here under as many variants as I thought people might check. That way, someone wouldn't check "bridge of the stonebows" under 'B', not find it, and make a duplicate entry. I absolutely agree that all entries of the form "The X of Y" should appear under "X of Y" and "Y, X of", and I suggested some additions along those lines. I also think (and I believe you did this for some entries) that names of the form "A B", where A is *very* common adjective, like "Old", "High", "Great", or "Last", should appear under "B, A" as well. ("High Pass of Rivendell" and "Pass of Rivendell, High")... although I have to admit that "Hay, High" looked kinda weird. By the way, concerning "The": if an entry was "The C", I just used "C", but if it was "The C of the D", I used "C of the D" and "D, C of the", because it just looked too strange to delete the embedded "the". A peculiarity of mine... Does any of this make sense? Do you have any thoughts about improving the organization of it? Absolutely! The "Rules" I mentioned above are merely things that you were already doing, which I canonized and took to *cough* my usual extremes... The one area that I didn't agree with is that names of the form "M N" should also appear as "N, M" (except for those few adjectives I listed above). Either you should do that for all two-word entries (which would increase the list size considerably) or none. That's why I suggested deleting: "Doom, Mount", "Evendim, Lake", and "Isles, Enchanted". ("Bruinen, Stone bridge" had a different problem: the original entry is "Stone Bridge of Rivendell") Thanks for all your hard work on this, Lyllyn. I hope these thoughts help... - Barbara P.S. In My version of the obsessive bug was to go through my list and keep synonyms in a separate color so that I knew the main entry was done, but the synonym not yet entered. what do you mean by "the synonym not yet entered"? Are you referring to this Place Names List, or are you contemplating adding the Synonyms as Place entries in the Resource Library?

what do you mean by "the synonym not yet entered"? Are you referring to this Place Names List, or are you contemplating adding the Synonyms as Place entries in the Resource Library? I think I haven't expressed this well. I would like to see the synonyms have their own place entries. Right now, someone looking up Amon Anwar would find the entry, linking to Halifirien. Someone who looked up Khazad-dum would need to do a text search, there is no separate entry. Perhaps given the text search this is unnecessary - I'm not sure. BTW - I added all your suggestions, but not the synonyms until we figure out if we're going to make entries for all the synonyms. Lyllyn

I would like to see the synonyms have their own place entries. Right now, someone looking up Amon Anwar would find the entry, linking to Halifirien. Ah, now I understand! Okay, now we are talking about a different audience... not just a handful of administrators who have the ability to add Place entries into the database (which was what I was considering before), but a general audience of any HASA member who wants to look up a place. That takes a different mind-set. Let me think about this. I have concerns about duplicating entries - namely, that one gets updated and the other does not. For example, I might find an obscure synonym for an entry, and just shove it into the entry's Other Names field without reading the entry, and therefore not update the main entry that the secondary one points to. (Don't laugh, I seldom read the rest of an entry if I just have a teensy tidbit to add to the header.) On the other hand, I think it would be useful for those who are not accustomed to doing searches to see the very common synonyms in the Places list... say, if they didn't remember how to spell "Khazad-dûm", and just looked for all the Places beginning with 'K'. (Or Imladris under 'I'.) Hmmmm... I recommend limiting the Database entries to very common synonyms (say, ones that would be encountered in the movies) and not the obscure ones. Maybe this isn't a valid assumption/prejudice, but I think that anyone who picks up an obscure reference from the books is likely to either have the skills to do a search or be able to acquire them by asking for help... Your Place Names List for administrators, on the other hand, should have all but the most obscure synonyms, to avoid duplications... Does this make sense? - Barbara

Your Place Names List for administrators, on the other hand, should have all but the most obscure synonyms, to avoid duplications... Does this make sense?
if I may hop in here... I've been following along, and I do think it makes sense to have as many of the synonyms as possible on the Place Names list for admins and resource volunteers. I'm not sure how I feel about limiting the database entries, though. I'm notoriously bad at remembering how certain things are spelled - that or I constantly second guess myself, which is worse at times. Point being that knowing of the existance of an obscure reference from the books doesn't guarantee that someone will always remember how to spell it in order to do a database search. Not that I'm trying to make more work for anyone, but if we're going to have them on the list for admins anyway... ~Nessime *ducking for cover*

OK, I can see the value of having the synonym list integrated with the actual entry list, maybe delineated in some way. I do think the major synonyms, such as Ered Luin and Blue Mountains, or Weathertop and Amon Sûl should both be entered. I'm on the fence when it comes to names only in HoMe, or not frequently used. It's a matter of the member using the Refernce Library - will they find what they're looking for? If they know that Esgaroth is also called Lake-town, no problem. But if they don't and look for Esgaroth, they won't find it. (I realize I didn't pick an example out of HoMe) Lyllyn

New: Bridge, Last

Everyone, I'm sorry to say I'm swamped, and likely to be so for a while. Unless someone else is able to take over the updating, it will lag behind, as will the synonym integration. Anyone interested? Lyllyn

I can help keep up the lists for you while you're unavailable. Heaven knows, I seem to be the one generating the most Places entries recently... Do you want to move the lists to another thread under a generic user name, then tell me how to log on to that user name? Or should I start new, temporary threads? Or... is there some other way of handing them off? - Barbara

Do you want to move the lists to another thread under a generic user name, then tell me how to log on to that user name? Or should I start new, temporary threads? Or... is there some other way of handing them off? The only generic name is HA writers, and I don't think we need to use that. Since you are the second poster in all the threads, I thought I could simple delete my posts, bringing yours up to the top, and then you can edit your posts as needed. I'll wait a bit to make sure you have copied everything you need to, or even wait until your posts are edited if you like. When you say the word, I'll delete my posts. Thanks! Lyllyn

Since you are the second poster in all the threads, I thought I could simple delete my posts, bringing yours up to the top, and then you can edit your posts as needed. Good plan. I won't be able to work on it until this evening, but I'll let you know when you can delete your posts. Thanks! Lyllyn You're welcome. I thought it was only fair, since I was generating most of the work! - Barbara (Edit: ) P.S. Note to myself: add "Two Watchers"...

Lyllyn, The Place Names list for A - D is updated. - Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.