Forum: Geography and Maps

Discussing: The Shire - Distances

The Shire - Distances

I was writing a chapter today that covered a walking trip from Frogmorton to Bag End, and was researching how far things were.

In "The Scouring of the Shire" RoTK , the companions set out from Frogmorton to Bywater, and JRRT gives the distance: "It was about eighteen miles to Bywater." He then sets the distance from the Three-Farthing Stone to Frogmorton: "At the Three-Farthing Stone they gave it up. They had done nearly fourteen miles with only one rest at noon."

Using the map in the front of FoTR as a rough guide, I guesstimate that Hobbiton is not quite two miles further, and that Bag End proper would be a full two miles.

That puts Bag End about 20 miles from Frogmorton. More guesstimates from the map put the Bridge of Stonebows over theBaranduine/Brandywine to be approximately as far from Frogmorton as Bywater is, so another 18 to 19 miles. Frogmorton to Brandy Hall looks to be in between 21 and 22 miles.

The Shire reaches "Forty leagues it stretched from the Far Downs to the Brandywine Bridge, and fifty from the northern moors to the marshes in the south." ("Prologue, I, Concerning Hobbits", FoTR ) Figuring three miles to the league, that is roughly 120 miles east-west, and 150 north-south.

It is therefore reasonable to assume that Hobbits could walk from Hobbiton to Brandy Hall/the Brandywine Bridge in two long days of hiking, averaging 3 miles per hour, wich is a pretty good clip for someone with short legs.

Also from the Prologue "Most of [Hobbits'] earlier settlements had long disappeared and been forgotten in Bilbo's time; but one of the first to become important still endured, though reduced in size; this waas at Bree and in the Chetwood that lay round about, some forty miles east of the Shire."

Near the start of "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony", JRRT says, "Occasionally the Hobbits of Bree went as far as Buckland, or the Eastfarthing; but though their little land was not much further than a day's riding east of the Brandywine Bridge, the Hobbits of the Shire now seldom visited it. An occasional Bucklander or an adventurous Took would come out to the Inn for a night or two, but even that was becoming less and lesss usual."

So, this says a Hobbit could cover up to forty miles a day with a good pony on a reasonably well-kept road.

So, there are a few Shire distances and some speculation on how far a Hobbit could reasonably travel by foot or on pony under ordinary conditions.

Ang

Re: The Shire - Distances

thank you for sharing your information!

so... any idea where "Long Cleeve" might be? For convenience' sake I have placed it somewhere between Hobbiton and Crickhollow, in the story I am currently working on, but if I'm "off" someone please let me know so I can revise!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Geography and Maps