Forum: Geography and Maps

Discussing: The Climate of Rohan.

The Climate of Rohan.

Enlighten me please if you can because I can't figure it out. Would it be more dry and continental - hot summers, cold winters? Or maybe more humid and moderate? I'm lost here. Help, anyone?

Re: The Climate of Rohan.

Not being a climatologist , I can only relate what I found in The Atlas of Middle-earth, by Karen Wynn Fonstadt, in the section on Climate: "East of the Misty Mountains the moderating marine influence was lost. As Aragorn said during the boat trip south: '[We] are far from the sea. Here the world is cold until the sudden spring.' Even in Rohan there was snow cover from November to March in the Long Winter [of 2758-59], although it was normally mild, as Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli found it in late February. Mountains often produce steppe, or even desert, climates on their leeward sides; yet this was not the case of either the Misty or White Mountains. The grasslands of Rohan could have resulted from this rain-shadow effect, but east of the Misty Mountains lay widespread forests -- perhaps due to less evaporation in the cooler air of the north." On the Climate map for the Third Age, Fonstadt shows "Mild Winter, Warm Summer" (examples: Eastern Europe, Arkansas to Wisconsin) for the larger part of Rohan that lies east of the Gap of Rohan. The parts in and west of the Gap are shown as "Mild Winter, Mild Summer" (examples: England, North Central Europe, Western Oregon), due to the increased influence of the sea. Hope this helps! - Barbara

Addendum: The map is not very detailed, but on closer inspection it appears that the northeast parts of Rohan (which would include the higher elevations of the Wold and the Downs), along the western edge of the Anduin from the Undeeps to the Emyn Muil, are in a zone marked "Cold Winter, Warm Summer", for which no real-world examples are listed. - Barbara P.S. All of the climate zones of Rohan are listed under "Humid Climates" in the text, as opposed to "Dry Climates (Arid and Semi-arid) or "Polar Climates" (Tundra or Ice-cap). Edit: P.S. There is also a marking on the Anduin just above Emyn Muil: "Fog". [My own comments:] Below the Emyn Muil, the (very large) area around the Mouths of the Entwash is marshy and often foggy.

Thank you, Barbara. Your information was a real help

On the Climate map for the Third Age, Fonstadt shows "Mild Winter, Warm Summer" (examples: Eastern Europe, Arkansas to Wisconsin) for the larger part of Rohan that lies east of the Gap of Rohan I was just wondering this very thing for a Nuzgul that's got me! I live in Oklahoma, and my brain has always equated Rohan with the plains here (minus any hint of mountains, of course) - Arkansas has more or less the same weather we do. Let me add that the plains may likely also be windy, which can change "Mild Winter" into " 15 below with the wind chill". I always laugh watching everyone's hair get blown all over creation in the Two Towers, cause that what happens on the plains. It's insane. Thanks for the info before I even asked!

Let me add that the plains may likely also be windy, which can change "Mild Winter" into " 15 below with the wind chill". Oh, dear! I am a native of a very moderate-climate coastal area, and would just DIE if I lived anywhere where I had to deal with snow or wind-chill... "extreme cold" to me is anything less than 50° Fahrenheit... I always thought that the wind whipping through Éowyn's hair in all different directions on the Edoras hill lent a realism to the movie that no film shot in a studio could ever duplicate... Thanks for the info before I even asked! You're welcome, EdorasLass! - Barbara

Oh, dear! I am a native of a very moderate-climate coastal area, and would just DIE if I lived anywhere where I had to deal with snow or wind-chill... "extreme cold" to me is anything less than 50° Fahrenheit I've lived here most of my life, and you'd think I'd be used to the cold and the wind by now -- but I'm not. It's dreadful. Coastal area -- that sounds dreamy. Funnily enough, there's this "Where Would You Live?" quiz at the Barrowdowns. It's all questions about what kind of climate you like, and every time I take it, it says that I should live in Dol Amroth, but that I would probably also like Edoras.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Geography and Maps