Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Sindarin Translation

Sindarin Translation

I'm looking for a horse name in Sindarin, and thought I could use Éomer's horse, Firefoot. I'm not sure how to form it properly.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could help.

Re: Sindarin Translation

'Firefoot' in Sindarin would be _Naurdal_

from _Naur_ fire and _tal_ foot the 't' lenits (changes to) 'd' here.

Ithildin (*

Or Nordal / Nórdal, with -au- umlauting? Cf. the Sindarin month-name Nórui.

Good question. HKF states that the ‘au’ umlauts to ‘o’ in the second element of a compound. _Naur_ and several other words come from the root NAR: _naru_, _Narbeleth_, _Narwain_, and probably _narthan_ as well. And then there is _Nórui_

I’m not convinced that the umlaut, as such, is responsible for the ‘missing’ diphthong in these words. My first guess is that they just arose from the same root and took a different form. I will ask over at elfling and see if I get any more info about it.

Ithildin (*

Thank you both very much for the translations, I take it that using any of them is okay? If so, I'll let my co-author choose.

Elvenesse, you are very much welcome.

According to the two replies I have received so far, my best guess would be to go with _Nardal_.
_Nordal_ would be the second choice, but also well founded.
Enjoy.

For the technical details - here are the links to the messages on the Elfling mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/29310

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/message/29325

Ithildin (*

Re: firefoot

Just for your information - there was a later reply to my query that in some ways contradicted the previous opinions. To summarize: "Now I think that for "fire-foot" we might have _Naurdal_ as a late compound, whereas an old _*Nartal_ would rather have produced _Narthal_." So you have two more possibilities to choose from, though from this it would seem that _Naurdal_ might be the most likely Third Age Sindarin form. A long and detailed response, here is the link for those interested. link to entire message #29360 Ithildin *(

Re: firefoot

Thank you for the links to the messages. I don't completely understand them, but what I do understand is useful and it looks like a good site to lurk on!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda