Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Elvish nursery rhymes?

Elvish nursery rhymes?

I need your help with a very special case for a story chapter I am working on at the moment:

It is a story set in Minas Tirith in 2979 and toddler Boromir cannot sleep. So he goes off to find Nana who is currently speaking to the newly returned Captain Thorongil. Said Captain kindly offers to sing a nursery rhyme for the young lord.

My question now is: is there a site on the Net where I could find Sindarin poetrry appropriate for a nursery rhyme or is there any linguist among you willing to translate my own poor attempts?

Thank you very much for the time you spend with my request

Maka

Re: Elvish nursery rhymes?

You could just take some lyrics from the LOTR soundtracks, I guess. The songs to Elbereth from FOTR, "The Evenstar" from TTT, "The argument" or "The eagles" from ROTK could all fit.

I can't wait to read the story I love child-Boromir tales.

I'd be willing to make a stab at translating whatever you have in mind, Maka.

Thanks for the ideas, Beth and I think I will combine the two offers you and Aerlinnel made. I think I am going to use "The Horns of Ylmir" (HOME 4) and the first 16 seconds of "The Grey Havens as a basic melody. How does that sound?

Maka

What part of "The Horns of Ylmir"? That is a long poem, and I unfortunately just don't have the time to translate anywhere near all of it!

Just the first and second verses, because the rest would be quite frightening for a one-year old, I presume. Thank you for helping me as my Sindarin is worse than my Quenya by far
Maka

Here's the first stanza, to start you off with. I'm still working on tweaking the second stanza to make it rhyme. Original Translation Literal meaning of translation ’Twas in the Land of Willows where the grass is long and green – Mi Ndôr Tethair – ennas i thâr gala and a calen – In the Land of Willows – there the grass grows long and green – I was fingering my harp-strings, for a wind had crept unseen Teliannen na ’annel nín, a sûl ú-dírad tollen I played with my harp, and a wind unseen was come And was speaking in the tree-tops, while the voices of the reeds A pedol trî i choe gelaidh, ar i lamath telchath And speaking through the tops of trees, and the voices of stems Were whispering reedy whispers as the sunset touched the meads, Glevril na thryss, ar ’Anor dhannol gwathant i thalvath, Babbling with whispers, and [the] Sun falling stained the fields, Inland musics subtly magic that those reeds alone could weave – Erui i delchath ennas agorer i linnath gûl – Only the stems there wove the songs of magic ’Twas in the Land of Willows that once Ylmir came at eve. Mi Ndôr Tethair – ennas, min lû, ’Hîr Nîn toll ned aduial. In the Land of Willows – there, one time, [the] Lord of Waters came in evening.

Thank you very much! I never could have done this on my own. Maka

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda