Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Horse maintenance question

Horse maintenance question

Do horses need a flat field for pasture; or can they thrive in a wooded environment (to run in) and a corral and a stable?

Re: Horse maintenance question

If you ask 10,000 people this question, you will get 10,000 answers and everyone will say everyone else is wrong. Some people will insist that horses should only be kept in a pasture and never be stabled. Others will say a stable is fine, or a corral is fine, and then they will argue about how much time in turn-out -- that is, not in the stall -- is acceptable. Basically horses can survive and have survived in everything you listed. Some will say that this or that is BETTER for them for various reasons and argue about it until the ends of time, but horses are quite adaptable.

We used all of the above Some were stabled, some in open pastures and some in wooded pastures. They all did fine with adequate feed (either provided or by grazing or both) and adequate fresh water. Gypsum is right. ..especially with us opinionated horse people Cheryl

Thanx, Cheryl and Gypsum! I'm wondering if a pasture might be necessary for the training of future cavalry horses, or if a corral would do. I just realized that I put this question in the LANGUAGES thread, not Research Questions! Just call me the Slow Child of Middle-earth! RAKSHA, who thinks that Eowyn would be breeding warhorses in the hills of Emyn Arnen as well as having her own child and being a Princess

I'm wondering if a pasture might be necessary for the training of future cavalry horses, or if a corral would do. Corrals would do, or small pens. But remember in that situation, they would rely completely on what's being supplied to them for feed (hay). I don't know and haven't really thought about Rohan's agricultural situation (as in how much hay can be readily grown and supplied to Edoras) This would directly impact how many horses they'd be able to keep within the city in paddocks. (Not to mention the issue of space...horses take a lot of room!) I'd imagine there would be a limit on how many training horses they can have within the city at once, and still have room for the "broke" mounts needed for day to day activities. Of course, when the training horses reach a certain level in their training, they can be used for day to day activities, and perhaps start to be used on patrols and such. Sorry...rambling. I'll stop now Honestly, I haven't given much thought to these factors....thanks for making me think about them! RAKSHA, who thinks that Eowyn would be breeding warhorses in the hills of Emyn Arnen as well as having her own child and being a Princess Absolutely! Horses are too much in Eowyn's blood for her not to. Cheryl

Well, if this is in Edoras, would they not just ride on the fields? And then what would be the need for the corrals for training? Just a thought, I'm not a training expert though so don't take my word for it ;)

IT

I was actually thinking of Eowyn's married life, when she would be spending a good part of her time in Emyn Arnen.  I imagine that she would breed and train horses.  Emyn Arnen is a collection of wooded hills surrounded by woodland ranging from light (which will probably become farms and orchards) to dense (farther north, perhaps south as well). 

RAKSHA

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda