Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: April 2004 Birthdays

April 2004 Birthdays

Is this your month? Then post your theme here, we'll be watching for it!

So far the following members have requested drabbles (see their topics in the thread):

April 07 - Ainaechoiriel
April 23 - LotR Lover
April 29 - fliewatuet

Re: April 2004 Babies

My Mortal Alter Ego's birthday is in April. The 7th, to be exact. A theme? Well, it would have to be something about Legolas. Well, my favorite quote of LOTR is when he is quoting the stones in Hollin. So maybe a drabble about all that, really getting into his head and heart?

--Ainaechoiriel

'But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk, and the trees and the grass do not now remember them. Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago.'

Would this be the quote?

~Lady Aranel~

Hmm, I haven't tried my hands at a drabble before, much less participated in the HASA Birthday drabbles, so I feel a little guilty at requesting one for my own birthday ...
But I'd really like a drabble about pre-Ring-War Aragorn. And there's still plenty of time as my birthday is the 29th.
fliewatuet

No problem!

I'd just like to make it clear that anyone can request a drabble -- it doesn't mean you have to write drabbles for other people, though it's a nice gesture if a topic inspires you.

I'll add your name to the list at the top of this thread.

Cheers,
Marta

Do we have to wait until April and/or the actually birthday to post drabbles?

Elvenesse-

You don't have to post your drabble in the month of the person in question. It's nice to post it relatively close to the person's birthday, I think -- say, within a week on either side -- but if that's going to be a problem, post it when you can.

Cheers,
Marta

'But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk, and the trees and the grass do not now remember them. Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago.'

Would this be the quote?

Why yes, it is!

--Ainaechoiriel

On April 6th, HA the List will turn two years old. As a
way of celebrating the occasion and thanking our List
Mom Emerita (Una/Altariel) and our current List Dad
(Mike/Fëadan) for all their hard work (and witty
conversation!), we at Challenges had asked them to provide us with
some drabble prompts in honor of the list.

We should've known better, of course, because they
delight in siccing nuzgûl on people almost as much as
we do when the opportunity is ripe. >:-E

So, here is what they came up with:

Write OR draw something concerning at least two (or more) of any
combination of the following:

1) Éowyn or Galadriel (because Mike and Una get to pick their favs)
2) birthdays/anniversaries
3) Henneth Annûn
4) gift-givings (in the broadest possible sense)

There is no limitation on form: short story, long
story, poem, drabble, metafic, humor, parody, artwork
(hand-drawn, photo-manip, shoot paint-balls at the canvas, whatever you please).

If the birthday spirit moves you to drabble, please
post it in our HASA Birthday Cards forum as well as on
the list. If it is some other form or artwork, post it
to the folder "HA Birthday Works". From there, we'll
figure out the best format for how to group them all
together at HASA as well.

Happy birthday everyone, and a special thanks once more to our List Parents.

Marta and Dwim

Happy birthday, HA!

Here's my first drabble, just for you.

The Return

Faramir led Éowyn along the rocky path (no blindfolds needed now, yet still he bid her cover her eyes, that the surprise might be greater) to the cavern behind the waterfall.

Pausing, he contemplated the past. Had it truly been but two years since hobbit here had borne Isildur’s Bane about his neck? Since quiet word had stayed arrows that gangrel creature might live, who would carry ring and finger together into the fire?

Drawing his wife to the spray-drenched window, he caught her hands in his, uncovering her gaze to the glory of rainbow sunset dazzle. “Happy birthday, beloved.”

Elana

Very nice, Elana!

Here are my offerings:

The Greater Gift

I lean forward eagerly. The salt air is mingled now with a sweet fragrance I had near forgot: one all the elanor and niphredil and roses of Imloth Melui could not match.

The grey rain-curtain that drops its sweet dew on us draws back. How many years is it since I saw those white shores and the far green country beyond? Long years, weary years, since I trod the quays of the swan-havens.

Beside me, the Halfling gives a gasp of wonder and delight.

I touch his shoulder in thanks. He offered me the Ring. I took the greater gift.

First Anniversary

Éowyn examined the trays of seedlings and cuttings.

“How did you persuade the Herbmaster–?”

“I am Steward, my love. Besides, I told him you would spend less time raiding his stores if you had your own.”

She smiled up at him. “I have a gift also. Lend me your hand.”

He gave her a puzzled look but did as she bid. Swiftly she laid the strong, gentle fingers on her stomach. For a moment, he did not seem to understand. Then she saw his grey eyes go wide with shock. She laughed and he caught her delight.

“Happy Anniversary, fæder!”

Cheers, Liz

Dwim,

Are you going to put this in as a formal challenge? Because I already have a recent entry that fit's the bill for two, if not three of the criteria. But it's a short story, about 1500 words.

Where do I post it?

Thanks,
Lindorien

It'll be a formal challenge. For the moment, post stories to the list folder "HA Birthday Works" and put any drabbles you may have in the HASA Birthday Cards collective entry.

Elana, Liz--very nice work! Wish I could comment on them more in depth, but they are all three lovely.

Elana, Liz--very nice work! Wish I could comment on them more in depth, but they are all three lovely.

Thanks, Dwim!

It'll be a formal challenge. For the moment, post stories to the list folder "HA Birthday Works" and put any drabbles you may have in the HASA Birthday Cards collective entry.

Do you want me to start a new chapter in the HASA Birthday Cards collective entry (rather than putting them under April)?

Also, do you want drabbles posted in the folder at HA as well or are you happy to pick them up from the HASA story here? (In other words: whats going to be easiest for you poor CMs when collating everything together? Like I have any sympathy for you evil people?)

Cheers, Liz

Happy Birthday, HA and I wish you many, many more. I first posted this for a challenge on LJ's LOTR 100, but thought it was appropriate for this thread as well.

The Gift

Boromir sat by the fire, restless. The others slept. He idly picked up a piece of wood. “Just another day,” he had told an inquisitive Merry, who had somehow found out that today was his birthday.

His fingers stroked the bit of wood. From the time Faramir had been quite small, he had always carved something for Boromir’s birthday. Boromir treasured each offering, from the first clumsy little wren to the last beautiful, fantastic dragon. Boromir took the knife from his belt.

When Merry woke the next morning, his hand encountered something lying beside him. Lifting it into the light, he saw a perfect carving of their faithful Bill, pack, pans and all.

Lovely, flick - thank you.

My Mortal Alter Ego's birthday is in April. The 7th, to be exact. A theme? Well, it would have to be something about Legolas. Well, my favorite quote of LOTR is when he is quoting the stones in Hollin. So maybe a drabble about all that, really getting into his head and heart?

--Ainaechoiriel

Happy birthday for tomorrow!

I hear the stones lament them:
deep they delved us; fair they wrought us; high they builded us; but they are gone.

My eyes see the holly’s thickly-clustered berries but my mind sees a tall city, streets thronged with hosts of fair Elven-folk. As I watch, I see it fall in flames and war and hear the clash of steel and a hundred voices crying out in loss,

They are gone.

In the cold, thin winter sun, I shiver in pity and dread. Soon may travellers in all Middle-earth hear only this lament of trees and stones.

They are gone…

Avon

Happy Birthday, Ainaechoiriel. ******* Strange Vessels Near overwhelming sorrow pours from the rocks about me, a strange and grievous thing I deem it. For my peoples’ affinity is with the living things that grow, yet the trees here are strangely silent, and they will not answer me. It is the stones about me, the ground itself that speaks to me. Here great power was wrought and wielded. Metals and precious gems were taken from the earth and formed into things of great beauty. Trees were hewn, fires built, and it is only the earth that now holds the echoes of those that fell into unwitting folly. Edit: I've changed this a bit thanks to Lindorien. It's in a later post.

Happy birthday, HA.

Gold Leaf

In April, it burst into golden flowers. It grew throughout that rich and radiant summer and, come the fall, its long leaves glowed in the last sun of the year.

When Sam touched this treasure, one came away, like a rope at its master’s call. He used it as a bookmark, had it to hand as he embellished the lines of his own tree. The children liked to hold it – Elanor, Goldilocks, down to Baby Tom; Elfstan too when his turn came.

The book he gave to his own golden girl. The leaf he took with him, returning the gift.

Thank you Dwim, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Here's one for Ainaechoiriel. Happy Birthday!

Strange to Us

Voice of stone in my soul. They are gone. They are gone.

Gone across a sea I have never seen. How could they bear to leave, when the world is so fair? Leave new grass to sprout, new trees to spring from seed, grow to sapling and towering giant, never savoring their greenness? Leave their works of creation to fall into ruin? Leave, knowing even the bedrock will mourn them?

Old as I now realize I am, with these younglings for companions, still I am only beginning to learn to love this Middle-Earth. I do not ever want to leave.

Elana

Here's one more, for HA:

That Which Is Fairest

Three strands she gave me, ere we left Lorien.

One, radiant as warm gold. Another, cool luster of mithril. The third… ah, the third! Some metal never mined, mithril and gold both, yet surpassing either. So must the light of the two trees have shone, caught mingled in jewel-stuff.

I had thought their faces ugly, bald cheeked and bare chinned. Fair to each other, I supposed, but never to my eyes matching the comeliness of full luxurious tresses.

Then I beheld her, and realized I had been blind. Her gift opened my eyes. Now I see so much more beauty.

Elana

FYI: If you look in Challenges, there is now the "HA Birthday Challenge." If you wrote anything for HA's birthday, be it of whatever form, please upload it there, under your own name. The next question: do we wish to keep this one open until the end of the month, or not?

Yes, please keep it open. My birthday is April 23.

I'd love a drabble about Glorfindel, if anyone's up for it; action or humor or contemplation or het romance, but no slash, please.

LOTR lover

"The Return" by Elana

Beautiful!

"The Greater Gift" and "First Anniversary" by Tanaqui

I love both of them.

"The Gift" by flick

Boromir is one of my favorite Men. This is a terrific story.

Untitled Drabble by Avon (could be titled "They Are Gone")

"Strange Vessels" by Elvenesse

"Strange to Us" by Elana

It always amazes me how three different writers can take the same material and come up with three different slants on it. They're all lovely, and "Strange to Us" is so ironic.

"Gold Leaf" by Altariel

Made me want to cry.

"That Which Is Fairest" by Elana

This has to be the best depiction of Gimli's courtly love for Galadriel that I've ever seen. The POV is so right for a dwarf, comparing the colors of her hair to different metals, finding her beautiful despite her lack of a beard. And I love the truth of the last line: that beauty can be found in more than the familiar.

altariel wrote Lovely, flick - thank you.

Thanks for reading -- and for putting up with all-Boromir-all-the-time from me.

Untitled Drabble by Avon (could be titled "They Are Gone")

"Strange Vessels" by Elvenesse

"Strange to Us" by Elana

It always amazes me how three different writers can take the same material and come up with three different slants on it. They're all lovely, and "Strange to Us" is so ironic.

Oops! I always seem to forget to put titles here - but over at SoA I called it 'I Hear the Stones Lament'

Yep, I love the way all three are so different from such a tight suggestion - that's why I love narrow challenges.

Thanks,

Avon

LOTR Lover wrote: Boromir is one of my favorite Men. This is a terrific story.

Thanks so much. I haven't been around much lately, but my Boromir-obsession is still going strong.

All sorts of goodies here!

Avon, I loved the feel of yours, especially the gap between what the mind sees and what the eye sees, and the whisper “They are gone” that drifts through that gap. Very evocative!

Elvenesse, the rhythm and alliterations of this were so effective. I especially liked Here great power was wrought and wielded. Nice!

Elana, I liked both of them, but especially That Which Is Fairest. Loved this: Some metal never mined, mithril and gold both, yet surpassing either. So must the light of the two trees have shone, caught mingled in jewel-stuff. Wow!

Altariel, I agree with LOTR Lover -- Gold Leaf just made me want to weep -- in a good way, of course. Also made we want to go back and read the last chapters of ROTK.

Yes, please keep it open. My birthday is April 23.

I'd love a drabble about Glorfindel, if anyone's up for it; action or humor or contemplation or het romance, but no slash, please.

I'll try and have a go at that - but in the meantime you're welcome to share the Glorifindel half of this earlier one. ;-)
Shades of Gold

Avon

This is just a quick note of explanation -- When Dwim asked if we wanted to close the challenge now or at the end of the month, she was referring to the HA Birthday Challenge that took place on the HA list beginning April 3. Dwim and I are trying to decide whether to close it now or at the end of the month. Many of you wrote drabbles for the birthday challenge and posted them in this thread. That's why Dwim was asking here. The normal birthday drabbles -- the ones we write for individual members on their birthday -- are a completely different thing. People can request and write drabbles until the end of time, or at least the end of the year. Those get posted to this forum, then the writers should upload them to the HAWriters story. This story is in turn associated to the HASA Birthday Cards challenge. This challenge closes December 31. So yes, we'll still be drabbling individual members' birthdays. Clear as mud? This is all a bit complicated, I know. But I will try to clarify it. I more than likely won't be checking in tomorrow before the site goes offline, but if you need urgent clarification please feel free to e-mail me off-site. Otherwise I will get back when the new & improved HASA is launched on Sunday. Cheers, Marta

Dwim? I don't know if anybody else is having this trouble, but my computer tells me that the HA Birthday card challenge OPENED on 4/8/04 and CLOSED on 4/6/04. Now then - new HASA is not liking any of my browsers very much and is not letting me do much of anything except generate error messages, so maybe this is something only I am seeing and for everybody else the dates are normal. I entered Anniversary, but it's not showing up on the recent entries list or on the overview list, although it does look like its in the list when I am in the actual challenge list. Does that make sense? I was wondering if its not just my browsers and my computer, but if maybe the backwards dates that are messing it up? Or maybe its just my meshuggeneh computer. Otherwise, I shall sit serene and await the return of my fancy laptop that is so fancy it is in the repair shop every few months. thanks, Lindorien

Dwim? Well, I'm not Dwim, but I know RL's keeping her pretty busy. I don't know if anybody else is having this trouble, but my computer tells me that the HA Birthday card challenge OPENED on 4/8/04 and CLOSED on 4/6/04. I've changed the challenge close date to 30 April, the last day of this month. The challenge was supposed to eventually run 3-6 April onlist, with people putting the entries in a folder at HA. After the challenge Dwim and I figured out what was the best way to collect the entries, and settled on a challenge where people could just add their own works. So the last day people could have (theoretically, at least) written the works was April 6, hence the closing date. For future reference, just because a challenge has passed its close date doesn't mean it's automatically closed. If it's showing up in open challenges, on the challenges calendar, et al -- it's still open. Dwim or I go in and close the challenges on or soom after the close date. You should have your challenge entries worked out (or the appropriate action taken, i.e., procured a placeholder) by the evening of the challenge date. I will generally close a challenge late at night my time (US East Coast), but I have on occasion closed the next morning. I was wondering if its not just my browsers and my computer, but if maybe the backwards dates that are messing it up? Or maybe its just my meshuggeneh computer. Nope, the date's genuine, and has been changed. Sorry for the confusion. Cheers, Marta

I'm posting a revised version here, thank you to those who commented on the last one! Strange Vessels From the rocks about me, pours almost overwhelming sorrow. Such a strange and grievous thing I deem it! The affinity of my people is with the living things that grow; yet the trees here are strangely silent and they will not answer me. It is the stones themselves and the ground beneath them that speak to me. It is here that great power was wrought and wielded. From the earth were gathered metals and precious gems to form items of great beauty. Trees were hewn; fires built, and now only distant echoes remain of those who fell into unwitting folly.

My Meshugganah Computer

Thanks for answering, Marta. The fancy laptop is back and I am not working with dinosaur stuff anymore. I withdrew Anniversary and entered it again. It still is not showing up on the Latest Challenge Entries list. But It looks like it's entered. Could you maybe go and check and see if it is entered? I set it for public. I think I did all the right things. My stuff says its there. Is it? thanks, Lindorien EDITED: Never mind, I think I am beginning to get the hang of this place. Things seem to work better with Safari. Oi!

Re: My Meshugganah Computer

Could you maybe go and check and see if it is entered? I set it for public. I think I did all the right things. My stuff says its there. Is it? Sure is. I didn't check to make sure it's in public, but it's at least showing up in the challenge. Cheers, Marta

Attempt at Glorfindel, for LOTR lover: ----------------- The stranger pledges fealty to the heir of his king. He is a puzzle to those that see him; his accent slants their words, and he is stern and golden like the sun. He has come as from long sleep, in the service of defiance so fierce it cannot spend itself in sleep. Yet he yields his sword gladly to his unproven lord. The watchers cannot know that having served mistaken pride makes it easy to embrace Elrond Peredhel. A kiss, laid on his brow, seals it. The stranger receives back his sword and his name, antique devices once more acknowledged. ----------------- Happy birthday for Friday, Judy! Gemma

Happy Birthday, Henneth Annun! Here is a drabble in verse to commemorate your anniversary. On the occasion of the anniversary of Celeborn and Galadriel, Gil-galad gives a gift for the ages. The Gift of a Tree Said Gil-galad, “From Númenor, On tall ships to this Hither Shore A mighty beech, or so I am told With silver bole and boughs of gold A fitting gift, by any accord For the Golden Lady and her Silver Lord. It would not blossom in my land – Perhaps it wants a Lady’s hand?” But Galadriel shook her head nay, And thereat she had this to say: “Safer is Lórien for tender shoots In good clean earth to put down roots Trees want not for ring nor crown But loving hearts and fertile ground Great or mighty hands need not be One day small hands may nurture a tree.” The real gift is an illustration for the drabble found here. Hope I did this right!

Re: Happy birthday, LOTR Lover

I know it's early but I'll be away up country Friday to Monday.
The Prince of Golden Flowers
It was here he fell - he of the golden hair and golden heart. He fell in flames and darkness against a being of ancient evil, fell to save those of us that fled. The eagles brought us back his body – burnt and bloody and broken. We laid it on the turf here and raised a mound over it. He was a prince of the house of the golden flowers – and the golden flowers came to be his shroud. Here, here is one of his flowers. Tuck it into your hair, child, and remember the one who died for you. Avon

No doubt LOTR Lover will do a more apposite reply ,but that's enviably lovely, Avon. I like how the final lines both reveal the observer(s) and bring the imagery full circle. Gemma

Gee, thanks, Gemma! I'm at the stage (don't read this, Judy) where I can only see it through very jaundiced eyes so it's nice to know that someone likes it. ;-) Avon

RE: I Hear the Stones Lament I about forgot to look here! Thanks, Avon. I remember this one posted to the list and it's just as lovely the second time around! --Ainaechoiriel!

RE: Strange Vessels I almost missed this! That'll teach me to check HASA more often. Thank you, Elvenesse! That was beautiful! Captures Legolas's personality, I think, in just a few short words. You have a typo there if you want to fix it: Tree were hewn. That's the only one I found. Thanks again! --Ainaechoiriel

RE: Strange to Us And here's Elana's again! This is the first one I saw onlist. Thank you. I've saved all of these for future rereading. They are beautiful. Thanks! --Ainaechoiriel

RE: That Which Is Fairest This one is great, too! One of the nicest portrayals of Gimli I've seen. --Ainaechoiriel

Re: Attempt at Glorfindel, by Gemma That's our Shining One in a nutshell. I'm so proud you created this beautiful drabble for me, Gemma. Thank you so much! Judy .

Re The Prince of Golden Flowers by Avon The golden heart is what makes Glorfindel worthy to come back and continue to protect Eärendil's heirs; the willingness to sacrifice himself is what makes him agree to it. This beautiful eulogy is worthy of Glorfindel, indeed. Thank you so much for writing this beautiful piece for me, Avon. Judy

I read it, Avon! This makes two of us who like "Prince," and I'm sure everyone else who reads it will like it too. Judy

Ainae, thank you for pointing out the typo, and I'm glad you like it.

Happy (belated) birthday, Ainae! I'll fish the proper reference for the paraphrase out of FoTR later. **** Longing In the line of walkers, Legolas trails last, listening. Holly-fenced Eregion is empty; the birds are silent; the holly stands mute, but the stones speak. They murmur in his dreams, filling them with strange desire. Who knew that stone might wish to grow? Poor tortured rock, that dreams of greatness and has it only through others' hands in the breaking and the working. And they cry out to him, grasping, hopeful: Remake us! Are you not their kinsman? But he has no craft, and only news to give: They are gone, they are gone. They sought the havens long ago. **** "They are gone. They sought the havens long ago."—"The Ring Goes South", FoTR.

Just a reminder as the end of the month draws near: if you've written a drabble for one of our birthday girls, please remember to login to (log into?) hawriters and add your drabble to the "April" chapter. So far, only Ainae drabblers have done so, so if you have one for LoTR Lover or fliewatuet, just copy their prompt in and put your drabble below it. Thanks! —Dwim

Happy (belated) birthday, LotR Lover. I'm not sure this is the Glorfindel you wanted, but it's the idea that struck me. ***** Hope Asfaloth plodded along the road, his gait lacking its usual vigour. His bells clang together, devoid of their normal music. Still we search, but for what? What hope is there to find them in the wilderness, with the Nine abroad? Hope. His mind lingered on that word. What hope did he claim, that he might find Hope? Estel was lost, and all Middle-earth's hope. He sank into his steed's back, and Asfaloth guessed his master's despair. But Asfaloth smelled a familiar scent on the wind. His step quickened, his bells sang. "Glorfindel!" the elf heard, and his heart rejoiced. Estel. Cheers, Marta

Re "Hope" by Marta: Thank you, Marta! I'm firmly in the camp that says Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell are one and the same. He wouldn't be so cool otherwise, IMHO. Glorfindel's search for Aragorn and the hobbits from Glor's POV makes a fine story. I love the way you wind the words hope and Estel through it like ribbons through a braid. It's beautiful. Thanks again, Judy

Re "Longing": You fit so much about Noldor and Sindar into this one drabble, Dwim, and even foreshadowed Legolas's softening attitude toward Gimli. Wow. Judy

But I'd really like a drabble about pre-Ring-War Aragorn. And there's still plenty of time as my birthday is the 29th. Happy Birthday, fliewatuet! Another Name There he is, I hear them whisper, thinking I cannot hear. That Ranger. That Strider. An apt enough description. Many long leagues these legs have traveled, many miles remain before I reach journey’s end. Very well then, Strider will I be, in this place. The inn is warm, the beer excellent. But I sit alone. They watch me, eyes suspicious, voices wary. Would they honor me, if they knew my heritage, if they realized that daily I risk death for their sakes? Would it matter? Telcontar will I surname my sons. That we may remember the purpose and the price. Elana

Thank you, Marta! I'm firmly in the camp that says Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell are one and the same. He wouldn't be so cool otherwise, IMHO. I never know! I'm more or less a Dunedain-and-hobbits girl myself, so I'm not at all involved in the whole debate. I just know that Glorfindel of Rivendell is one cool character, and for me to say that of an elf is high praise, I promise you. Glorfindel's search for Aragorn and the hobbits from Glor's POV makes a fine story. I love the way you wind the words hope and Estel through it like ribbons through a braid. It's beautiful. It does make a good story, doesn't it? This is why I love drabbles. They're short enough for me to let my muse run free and play with characters he wouldn't normally get to play with (he usually sticks to the aforementioned Dunedain and hobbits). Thanks for inspiring me to write a character I'd never written before. As for the wordplay -- I am the child of journalists. Puns are in my blood. And I thrive on languages. No Middle-earth except for a bit of Old English, but several real-life ones in addition to my native English. So wordplay is something that comes naturally to me. When I remembered "Estel" meant hope, it was irresistible. Thanks again for the delightful experience, Marta

Re "Longing": You fit so much about Noldor and Sindar into this one drabble, Dwim, and even foreshadowed Legolas's softening attitude toward Gimli. Wow. YES! I wasn't sure if people would read in the idea that here is where Legolas begins to open towards Gimli, by way of the stones worked by kinsmen he cannot understand. *feels all wibbly* Glad you liked it, Judy. I'm afraid I am "Glorfindeled out" after my b-day drabble to Soulhunter, but perhaps you would enjoy that as well, even if I can't come up with another Glorfindel drabble. A happy belated birthday to you.

Another Name Wow, that was terrific! Thank you so much . I have always wondered where and how Aragorn came to that particular name and yours is a wonderful explanation. But this one That we may remember the purpose and the price. is my favourite line. Thanks again, fliewatuet

Slightly belated, LOTR lover, but this is for you - happy birthday! Mae Govannen ****************** "Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!" Relief overflows me, for in the gathering shadow he brings hope to my heart and strength to my arm. Elf-lord of a house of princes, Balrog-slayer, what terrors should the black Nine hold for him? As their icy darkness closes upon the Ringbearer his otherworldly light but glows the brighter. Now Frodo is across the Ford, saved by Loudwater's rising, and those foul shadows would turn upon us - yet the white-hot flame of his fury sears them, and they scatter to terror and the flood. Ai na vedui Glorfindel; mae govannen! **** "Elf-lord of a house of princes" is Gandalf's description of Glorfindel, from FoTR Book 2 Chapter 1, Many Meetings. And yes, I like and tend to subscribe to the notion that the two Glorfindels are the same as well

Thank you! That was beautiful! And nuzgul spawning. Darn it. Not these ankles! Of to the hutch with me! --Ainaechoiriel

I hope you, Avon, Elana and Dwim will all be sure your drabbles are posted to a publicly accessible web site. I'll want to nominate them for the MEFA's. If they aren't, please post them somewhere before April 30, midnight central. Thanks! --Ainaechoiriel

I hope you, Avon, Elana and Dwim will all be sure your drabbles are posted to a publicly accessible web site. All my stuff is over at SoA. The drabble can be found here Avon

Happy Birthday, fliewatuet

Don't know if this is pre-ring war enough for you, but I hope so. ’Peering in the water as the dark eve fell, I caught him, Gollum.’ Through darkness and mire I drive him; through forest and briar he drives me. He is my prisoner - or I am his…. I can not remember. Can not remember warmth, sufficient food, ease. Can not remember when I did not hold him, drive him, drag him. Always in my ears are his moans and snufflings. Always in my nose is his smell – reeking of dark things and dark places. Always in my eyes are his eyes: they watch me and hunger for my throat. In the dark hours I watch what the ring has made him… and I fear. Avon

Re: Happy Birthday, fliewatuet

Don't know if this is pre-ring war enough for you, but I hope so. Thank you, Avon I feel like bouncing up and down in delight Aragorn's journey with Gollum is one of my favourite tales that Tolkien left untold! And you did a wonderful job at conveying the essence of that dreadful journey in so few words. They are bound to each other during that journey, and fifty days is such a long time that it must have been hard to remember a time without Gollum's constant presence, indeed. Thank you again, fliewatuet

My drabble is also posted at SoA.

Mine is at SoA also: Strange to Us Avon, that was wonderful! I love how you've captured Aragorn's complete lack of the pity that Gandalf and Frodo feel for Gollum. What a nightmare journey that must have been. Elana

Happy birthday, Fliewatuet, from a fellow Aragorn Addict. I'm probably the last one to figure this out, but dash is counted as a word by the word counter. Upon This Hither Shore They say water draws Elves. Mayhap also the elven-reared, for there he sits—the foundling washed up on mortal shores. The stone skips twice, then sinks. Halbarad tsks. "Throw a round?" he asks when the other turns. Aragorn considers, then nods. Upon the riverbank they stand, casting stones in silence awhile. "You're often here," Halbarad says. Aragorn shrugs. "I was born between these rivers—" his last stone sinks "—but they speak nothing to me." The final stone skips thrice. "Silly game," Halbarad complains. A beat, then: "Again, tomorrow?" Reflections waver in the water. "Aye, tomorrow," Aragorn agrees. And then smiles.

Happy birthday, Fliewatuet, from a fellow Aragorn Addict. I'm probably the last one to figure this out, but dash is counted as a word by the word counter. Upon This Hither Shore ... You see a very happy fliewatuet! Not only a drabble about Aragorn but also featuring Halbarad as a bonus (and I do not count the words ). I really loved the little scene, a tentative beginning of a live-long friendship. And Aragorn being drawn towards the water seems so very natural, not only because he was raised by the Elves but also as the last descendant of the Sea-kings (not to mention that I can thoroughly understand the mesmerizing quality of a river ... and of skipping stones). Thanks a lot fliewatuet

You see a very happy fliewatuet! Good! Not only a drabble about Aragorn but also featuring Halbarad as a bonus Halbarad sort of insists on being featured in young(er) Aragorn fics, citing the fact that he barely shows up in RoTK before dying. Thinks I owe him something for that, and for the misery I usually put him through. And Aragorn being drawn towards the water seems so very natural, not only because he was raised by the Elves but also as the last descendant of the Sea-kings I hadn't even thought of the sea-king connectionn, but it is a very natural link to make. Cool! Happy birthday, fliewatuet! Dwim

I'm afraid I am "Glorfindeled out" after my b-day drabble to Soulhunter, but perhaps you would enjoy that as well, even if I can't come up with another Glorfindel drabble. A happy belated birthday to you. Thanks, Dwim. I did indeed enjoy the drabble you wrote for Soulhunter. The banners of White Tree and White Stars flying together, Glorfindel's prophecy of doom, and Gil-galad's smile and simple affirmation. These warriors know the price and they're ready to pay it. Judy

Slightly belated, LOTR lover, but this is for you - happy birthday! Thank you so much, Az! What a picture that is! That scene is where I first fell in love with Glorfindel, (after the Council of Elrond I was so disappointed to find that he wouldn't be part of the Fellowship!) and you write it so well! Hannon le! Judy

Thank you so much for writing this beautiful piece for me, Avon. Just so long as you liked it that's great. Avon PS: Definitely only one Glorifindel IMO

Thank you, Avon I feel like bouncing up and down in delight That's great. ;-) And you did a wonderful job at conveying the essence of that dreadful journey in so few words. Somewhere, some time, I've read a fanfic that really underlined how ghastly it must have been - and that thought has always stuck. Avon

.Avon, that was wonderful! I love how you've captured Aragorn's complete lack of the pity that Gandalf and Frodo feel for Gollum. What a nightmare journey that must have been. Gosh, thanks! ;-) Re-reading the relevant passage so I could write this I was struck anew by just how un-nice Aragorn comes across. Don't get me wrong - I love Aragorn - but it just seems almost brutal the way he speaks about Gollum. Avon

I've always loved Gandalf's description in the subsequent chapter of the "Elf-lord revealed in his wrath..." Not a good moment to be a Ringwraith. Glad you liked it, ma'am... Az

the foundling washed up on mortal shores. I so, so, so love that line! Avon

In the dark hours I watch what the ring has made him… and I fear. Oh yes, my preciousss... yesssss. I, too, think this was probably one of Aragorn's least favorite journeys, ever, and that last line is just perfect. And I don't think this is "un-Aragorn"—I think he's had to do some terrible things and he's also seen many terrible things. It goes with the job and being Aragorn. After all, one doesn't become "grim to look upon" just by lying in ditches. the foundling washed up on mortal shores. I so, so, so love that line! Thanks!

I did indeed enjoy the drabble you wrote for Soulhunter. The banners of White Tree and White Stars flying together, Glorfindel's prophecy of doom, and Gil-galad's smile and simple affirmation. These warriors know the price and they're ready to pay it. Glad you liked it. Wish I could come up with a second, but alas. Not that Glorfindel is lacking in proponents—Avon's drabble in particular was magnificent.

Happy birthday, Fliewautet. Pre-ring Aragorn? I can handle that. ***** His Lady's Horse The dusk light had nearly faded to evening's grey, but no matter. A ranger's ears can hear a man approach. Eight hoofsteps. "Halbarad." He dismounted, leading the new horse toward me. "All was well in Imladris?" He smiled knowingly. "Aye, she lives." I turned to face him. "I did not ask of Arwen --" But then I saw the horse. I knew that proud back, that hardy coat. A horse of the Valley. Halbarad leaned close. "The lady is well, and wishes you the same." 'Twas good it was so dark. A ranger did not smile so foolishly at a horse. ***** Cheers, Marta

His Lady's Horse Oh, Marta, this was absolutely lovely. Not only Aragorn and Halbarad (my two absolute favourites ... in case you hadn't noticed ...) but Roheryn as well (I assume that the second horse is Roheryn ...) And I quite liked the way you framed the entire drabble with the things a ranger can and can't (or rather should not) do: A ranger's ears can hear a man approach ... A ranger did not smile so foolishly at a horse. Thanks again for making an already lovely day even better, fliewatuet

Happy birthday, Fliewautet. Pre-ring Aragorn? I can handle that. Oh, me, too. Here's for you!
fliewautet: Pre-Ring War Aragorn

Heirlooms Gwynnyd
The ring was an unfamiliar heavy weight on my hand, pinning me to an unlooked for fate. “He gave me Narsil, too.” Ellrohir laughed. “Narsil? What does father expect you to do with it?” I grin. “Put fear into the hearts of my foes. Drawing it, I declare, ‘Here is the Sword That Is Still Broken.’ They’ll flee my wrath unfought. ‘Twould be a good stabbing sword, with such a jagged point.” ”It was a hand-and-a-half! The hilt would unbalance such a short blade.” “But not unmasterable, I think.” “Estel, no!” “I am Aragorn.” I go to commission a sheath.

Heirlooms Thank you so much, Gwynnyd. That one was hilarious. It somehow takes the serious edge off the Aragorn-learns-about-his-heritage scene. And I always like depictions of Aragorn being proud and happy to learn about his lineage and your version shows a young man, elated by the day's events and ready to brave the world! fliewatuet

Oh, Marta, this was absolutely lovely. Thanks. :-D Not only Aragorn and Halbarad (my two absolute favourites ... in case you hadn't noticed ...) Halbarad I have always loved, but Aragorn I've only developed an affection for fairly recently... Dwim, just how much blood are you giving at the witch doctor these days? but Roheryn as well (I assume that the second horse is Roheryn ...) Yep, that was supposed to be Roheryn. And I quite liked the way you framed the entire drabble with the things a ranger can and can't (or rather should not) do: A ranger's ears can hear a man approach ... A ranger did not smile so foolishly at a horse. Thanks, I'm glad to know that worked. Cheers, Marta

I'd really like a drabble about pre-Ring-War Aragorn. When I was at dinner I thought of another drabble you might enjoy, fliewatuet. It's definitely pre-RW Aragorn. Thorongil!Aragorn, to be specific. I actually wrote it for Forodwaith's birthday last month, but I thought you might enjoy it as well. ***** The Steward and the King Thorongil leaned back against the marble wall, his lips curling into a smile as the future steward played before him. "Who are you fighting?" he asked, trying to hide his amusement. The child looked over his shoulder, teetering to one side. The captain from the north reached out his hand, steadying the child. "Orcs," Boromir answered. "Father says we must always be ready." The wooden sword jabbed the air; soon he was off again. Thorongil brushed the tears from his eyes. That babes should know that truth… yet, here was valour in which he could trust Gondor. ***** Cheers, Marta

For fliewatuet

A day late, but hopefully not a dollar short. Also, Galadriel & Celeborn insisted on making an appearance. "Be welcome to Lorien, Heir of Isildur," Celeborn said, yet his cold stare belied the words. Galadriel said nothing, only met Aragorn's eyes, and he gasped like a man plunged into icy water. So you would ask my granddaughter to make Luthien's choice. And what if Arwen consented? Have you the courage to take her life? He broke free from her gaze and looked down at his hands, relieved to see that they were not trembling. If it were her own free choice, he thought, yes. If she gave me her life, I would hold it close as my own.

Re: For fliewatuet

A day late, but hopefully not a dollar short. Also, Galadriel & Celeborn insisted on making an appearance. I don't mind the delay if the result is as wonderful as this! As many fanfics portray Galadriel (and Celeborn to a lesser extemd) as consenting to Aragorn's and Arwen's love, I appreciate this deviation from the common view all the more. I always enjoy a new perspective But I bet that for Aragorn, this is not for the first time, and neither for the last, that he is confronted in such a way with the consequences of his love for Arwen (and her love for him). All in all a wonderful drabble as it leaves much room for thought. Thanks again, fliewatuet

When I was at dinner I thought of another drabble you might enjoy, fliewatuet. It's definitely pre-RW Aragorn. Thorongil!Aragorn, to be specific. I actually wrote it for Forodwaith's birthday last month, but I thought you might enjoy it as well. I am glad you remembered this drabble as I missed it in the other thread. And it would have been a shame if I had missed it altogether Thanks again for all those wonderful drabbles, fliewatuet

Deposit your drabbles in HASA B-day Cards story

Just a reminder: if you've not done so already, please copy-paste your drabble into the April chapter of "HASA Birthday Cards" story, which you can access by logging in as hawriters. And Forodwaith, that was a great drabble--I also liked the fact that Grandma and Grandpa were not highly pleased to find out who their granddaughter is dating (or who wants to be dating their granddaughter). --Dwim

I have no idea if this is customary, but in return for all those wonderful drabbles I got for my birthday, here's my very first drabble (hopefully) for your entertainment Contrary to my own request, I chose post-Ring-war Aragorn. Regrets? "Do you miss the Ranger?" "Why should I miss him?" he replies, eyebrow raised in question. She looks up at him, then replies, "for lack of solitude and independence?" He frowns, unsure as to her purpose, yet willing to play her game for a while. "No, I do not miss the loneliness, nor cold nights, spent in pelting rain," he answers, drawing her closer. Her intentions dawning on him, he smiles, "not even with today's council meeting in mind." She turns to him and smiles at his boyish grin that, for a heartbeat, outshines the silver streaks in his hair. fliewatuet

Glad you enjoyed it, fliewatuet. many fanfics portray Galadriel (and Celeborn to a lesser extemd) as consenting to Aragorn's and Arwen's love I think they became reconciled to it later, but this is a first meeting (perhaps I should title it to make that clear) and they are definitely skeptical of this presumptuous Arnorian.

I think they became reconciled to it later, but this is a first meeting (perhaps I should title it to make that clear) and they are definitely skeptical of this presumptuous Arnorian. Yes, I agree. If not, the Lothlórien Elves would have reacted ot him in much the same way as they reacted to Gimli when the Fellowship popped up on their doorstep BTW, it is perfectly clear that this is a first meeting (I fear I did not make that clear in my reply). What I enjoy is the focus on a different perspective, even though that may change over time. fliewatuet

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum