Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: May 2004 Birthdays

May 2004 Birthdays

Is this your month? Then post your theme here, we'll be watching for it!

So far the following members have requested drabbles (due to the length of the thread, I've moved requests here, and bolded names mean a new request):

May 5 - ParanoidAngel: I'd like to be totally predictable and ask for Elrond. Or failing that a drabble with Elrond in I'd also like to be unpredictable and ask for something with Faramir in - but no Boromir or Denethor or Eowyn (because it's my birthday and I'm allowed to be picky).

May 6 - RiverOtter: I would like something dealing with Dol Amroth in the Fourth Age. Imrahil has four children so there is plenty to work with.

May 7 - Flick: "Remembering Boromir…" How would someone, great or small, named or unnamed, remember Boromir? It could be a thought, a letter, a conversation, or something about an actual memorial – anything.

May 19 - Nol: I'd really like to read a drabble about women in the Silmarillion. As rulers, lovers, mothers, warriors, artists, wheeler-dealers - anything. Canon, semi-canon. or OFC.

Or a drabble about the Nirnaeth, if it could be.

May 20 - nutterzoi: I would also like to request an Elrond drabble. I know someone else requested Elrond and Faramir, but I'd like to request Elrond and *a* family member - blood relative, adopted - makes no difference to me. (er... if it's not too much trouble...)

May 25 - Dwim: If anyone can find it in their heart to produce a drabble about Beregond or Bergil (or both), I'd be very happy.

May 27 - Gronyats: I have been rather facinated by Imrahil lately. I recall that Imrahil is a dreamer. I would love to read a drabble about one of his "dreams" or "visions".

May 30 - Starlight: I would love a drabble about cultural exchanges. How people in Middle-earth deal with each other's differences as neighbors, friends, fellow-fellowship members... :-) and how they go about working to get over those differences (if they do). It could be a first meeting or any sort of encounter between people of different cultures. Or, I would *love* to hear about your favorite character. Write a drabble about your favorite character during a moment that moves you, doing his/her favorite activity, during a pivotial moment in his/her life. Just let me know who's your favorite! I'd be ever so grateful...

Re: May 2004 Babies

I'm a May baby! I suppose I shouldn't be greedy, given that I hand people nuzgûl all the time, BUT... If anyone can find it in their heart to produce a drabble about Beregond or Bergil (or both), I'd be very happy.

Dwim, you are evil, but you knew that already, and I'm sure for me to say so is only encouraging you. You should probably know that I now have a nuzgul (admittedly buried way down in the hutch) for a series of vignettes about various key events in Denethor's life as perceived by Beregond. And yes, it would satisfy your KGD idea. A hundred words? Shouldn't be a problem with those two. When's your birthday, and I'll add it to the list. Cheers, Marta

May 25. And yes, [preens] I know I am evil. It comes with the job. --Dwim

Hey Dwim, my birthday is two days after yours. May 27th. I have been rather facinated by Imrahil lately. I recall that Imrahil is a dreamer. I would love to read a drabble about one of his "dreams" or "visions". Gronyats

Imrahil, hm? You want me to help you hunt down Isabeau and drag her over here?

Imrahil, hm? You want me to help you hunt down Isabeau and drag her over here? And just today she was saying over at HA how she didn't write drabbles. This'll teach her to say things like that... Ack! First Beregond, now Imrahil. Well, at least you're both post-finals. Cheers, Marta

Err. It feels slimy to be asking for a drabble when I haven't really been involved here for a while. But I'm a May baby, and I'd really like to read a drabble about women in the Silmarillion. As rulers, lovers, mothers, warriors, artists, wheeler-dealers - anything. Canon, semi-canon. or OFC. Or a drabble about the Nirnaeth, if it could be. Thanks so much! - Nol.

May 2004 Babies

My birthday is May 6th. I would like something dealing with Dol Amroth in the Fourth Age. Imrahil has four children so there is plenty to work with.

My birthday's the 5th and I'd like to be totally predictable and ask for Elrond. Or failing that a drabble with Elrond in I'd also like to be unpredictable and ask for something with Faramir in - but no Boromir or Denethor or Eowyn (because it's my birthday and I'm allowed to be picky). If you can combine the two you'll have my undying gratitude! Nic

You May babies are evil Beregond and Bergil, Imrahil, Fourth Age Dol Amroth , Elrond and Faramir.... Even the Nirnaeth is tempting me *sigh* Nol, what date is your birthday? Cheers, Liz

You May babies are evil Agreed! Everyone who has requested a drabble to date (besides Nol) should have been added to the list at the top of this thread. Cheers, Marta

Ooops. Mi scusi, but I'm May 19th.

I would LOVE for you to hunt down Isabeau and drag her kicking and screaming to write Imrahil for me. I love the depth of his personality in her universe. You just keep on being evil Dwim! Gronyats

My birthday is May 7, and my request…. “Hello, my name is flick, and I’m a Boromir addict.” :: ‘hello, flick’ :: “I’ve tried to overcome it…” ::sympathetic murmurs:: “I’ve tried to read about Aragorn. I’ve even tried to write about Hobbits. Or Gandalf… but Boromir is so… so…” :sympathetic murmurs:: “I appealed to my Higher Power, but She just said ‘Boromir is so….so…’” So, clinging to my Addiction, a simple request: “Remembering Boromir…” How would someone, great or small, named or unnamed, remember Boromir? It could be a thought, a letter, a conversation, or something about an actual memorial – anything. My Higher Power will thank you.

Flick wants Boromir... Oh good, I'm safe. Hang on a minute, she wants “Remembering Boromir…” Arrghhh!!! You May babies are evil, evil, evil.... Cheers, Liz

paranoidangel wrote: I'd like to be totally predictable and ask for Elrond. Or failing that a drabble with Elrond in I'd also like to be unpredictable and ask for something with Faramir in. If you can combine the two you'll have my undying gratitude! Well, I've had this bouncing round my head for a couple of days and writing it down certain beat trying to wrestle with my Denethor fic. I hope this earns some gratitude (undying kind not necessary) Happy Birthday for next week, Nic. A refuge for the weary He is wise: a master of lore beyond measure of Man. And it is no great matter on which I yearn to question him. He has lived long years: since before the world was changed, before ever the Edain went Starwards. My concerns must be as passing ripples on a stream to him. He is a master of healing, yet my hurt is naught: a burden of the heart. Still, he also lost a brother in a far land, and learnt of it only later. “Master Elrond, your pardon, may I beg a moment to speak of my brother, Boromir…?” Cheers, Liz (one down, five to go, I think...)

For Flick and her Higher Power

Happy birthday! Links The broken horn hung now in a place of honour in the Hall of the Kings. Frodo stood before it with a simple golden chain pooled in his palm. He twisted it around the four fingers of his right hand, remembering the mountainside. The chain dangled from Boromir's fingers, and the Man's eyes followed the Ring's slow pendulum. Standing on tiptoe, Frodo reached up to twine the links around the baldric of the horn, where they gleamed dully in the sunlight from the high windows. "The same chain bound us, Boromir. I hope you are free of it now."

Re: For Flick and her Higher Power

This is really lovely. I just finished grading 30 exams for one class and I have a headache and feel a bit cross-eyed. But this makes it better. I especially liked this: Standing on tiptoe, Frodo reached up to twine the links around the baldric of the horn, where they gleamed dully in the sunlight from the high windows. "The same chain bound us, Boromir. I hope you are free of it now." A beautiful image and such a sensitive (and very Frodo-like) gesture. My Higher Power just sniffled (she's such a softie!).

And there I was thinking Elrond and Faramir in 100 words would be a challenge I loved it, Liz, it was great. I love the contrast between each pair of sentences which compare Elrond and Faramir, and yet Faramir doesn't know just how much they have in common. Like me now feeling the need to hug both of them for a start . This is my favourite line: He is a master of healing, yet my hurt is naught: a burden of the heart. Oh, Faramir, it's not naught - he knows how you feel, I promise! Nic (now I want to know how the rest of the conversation goes... )

And there I was thinking Elrond and Faramir in 100 words would be a challenge Well, I managed to get Faramir into another birthday drabble that wasn't supposed to be about him at all, so a whole 100 words to share seemed easy...! Really glad you liked it - I think they have a lot in common too, but I see Faramir spending most of Aragorn's wedding mentally gawping (not that he would show it, of course!) at the fact he was meeting all these people who were in books he'd read (Elrond and Galadriel, particularly). Of course, once he got talking to Elrond, they'd get long fine and I agree Elrond would know how Faramir feels and be able to provide at least part of the "healing" he needs. (now I want to know how the rest of the conversation goes... ) La la la la la - I'm not listening! OK, I'll write it down in my nuzgul notebook but it's a long way down the list, so please don't expect anything at all soon! Cheers, Liz

Sorry, my drabble muse seems to be rather frisky today.... Eamire wrote: Or a drabble about the Nirnaeth, if it could be. There's a lot to go at there , but this is one of my favourite parts: Defiance The Men of Dor-lómin hold the way, so that a new star may rise. He is the last. Never has axe been so wielded, yet the enemy is as numberless as the tears. He falls, crushed beneath the weight of hewed hands that still cling. His thoughts fly to wife and son and child-to-be. How will they fare? His wife will be a mother to their people; his son a warrior to make his forefathers proud; the babe’s fate he knows not. Day shall come again: from the House of Hador will spring the last hopes of Men and Elves. Cheers, Liz

Happy early birthday, Flick. In Memoriam I stood along Anduin's now-fair banks, gazing toward Minas Anor. "Aye, it is fair, father, but I do not see…" Beregond shook his head. "Not west." He placed his hand on my shoulder and faced me toward the North. "Look to the site of Gondor's victory." Of course I had heard the stories. How the Prince of the City was pierced by many arrows. How he had fallen but not faltered. And then I understood. Our horn had been cloven, our chest pierced, but still Gondor strove on. Like Boromir. The faithful jewel had not failed; he had conquered. Cheers, Marta [Edit: POV problems fixed (I hope).]

OK, I'll write it down in my nuzgul notebook but it's a long way down the list, so please don't expect anything at all soon! Yay! Oh, how evil am I? Nic

*quiet squee* Thank you very much, Liz. That was beautiful, and a much-needed kick for me - one of the few bright spots in that dark episode, and one I often forget amidst all the gore and misery. Aure enteluva, indeed.

paranoidangel wrote: OK, I'll write it down in my nuzgul notebook but it's a long way down the list, so please don't expect anything at all soon!
Yay! Oh, how evil am I?
Not as evil as Marta, who is responsible for many of the 25 plus other nuzguls I have! Uh, you did understand "not any time soon" means in a couple of years, didn't you? Earmire wrote: *quiet squee* Thank you very much, Liz. You're welcome. Happy (very early!) birthday wishes! Cheers, Liz

My drabble muse is definitely in overdrive at the moment! RiverOtter asked for: something dealing with Dol Amroth in the Fourth Age. Imrahil has four children so there is plenty to work with. There is indeed! (Uh, this might actually be last year of the Third Age now I come to think about it, but it's definitely post-War Dol Amroth, which I hope is what you were really asking for!) Happy Birthday for next week. Returning from a wedding Father and sons sat silently as dusk fell. A few brief sentences had been enough to share the day’s news. The space around the chair seemed naked, stripped of its clutter of overflowing workboxes and abandoned books. The woman paused at the door, catching the sombre mood, but the boy ran ahead, intent on his goal of asking his uncles for help making a toy boat. As the child’s laughing questions restored the customary chatter, Imrahil stood and held out his arm to his daughter-in-law. He led her to the chair. “Why don’t you sit over here now, my dear.” Cheers, Liz

Hi Marta, Mmm, Bergil and Beregond about Boromir! B ^3! I was confused by one thing, however: at a certain point, you switch over to first person. At first I thought you'd unintentionally assumed Bergil's viewpoint, but that theory quickly fell apart. It's not Beregond and it's not Bergil, and it's not Pippin; I'm not sure who this unnamed eavesdropper is. Did you have anyone specifically in mind? Interesting association—making Boromir stand for all of Gondor, so that your spectator can say that when Boromir was wounded, so also were all Gondorians. Nice!

Standing on tiptoe, Frodo reached up to twine the links around the baldric of the horn, where they gleamed dully in the sunlight from the high windows. "The same chain bound us, Boromir. I hope you are free of it now." Perfect. That was beautiful, Forodwaith!

Thanks, Dwim. I noticed the POV problem this morning and have done a revision that I will post momentarily. The "I" is Bergil, but I need to make that more clear. Blame it on that particular nuzgul biting me as I was about to go to bed and refusing to let me rest until it had been properly defanged. I probably should have left it on my hard drive until this morning and given it another read-through, but there you go. Cheers, Marta

And then I understood. Our horn had been cloven, our chest pierced, but still Gondor strove on. The faithful jewel had not failed; he had conquered. Sniff! Y'all are making me cry, in a good way, of course. Loved the feeling of peace and vindication in this. Thanks so much!

Thank you Tanaqui. That was poignant yet sweet with the future showing clearly. Since the woman is Eowyn and the boy her son [if I am reading right] then it is easily Fourth Age. A nice reminder that life goes on. RiverOtter

Sniff! Y'all are making me cry, in a good way, of course. Loved the feeling of peace and vindication in this. Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it, Flick. It was a joy to write. I really must write more Boromir. Unfortunately he just died too soon; my Boromir muse shall have to be content with references instead of outright appearances. (I think I've written more about people remembering Boromir than about Boromir when he was alive.) Cheers, Marta

RiverOtter wrote: Thank you Tanaqui. That was poignant yet sweet with the future showing clearly. Glad you liked it! Since the woman is Eowyn and the boy her son [if I am reading right] then it is easily Fourth Age. Umm, actually it's meant to be Elphir's (unnamed) wife and his son Alphros (born 3017, so about 4 at the time of his Aunt Lothiriel's marriage.) But it's my bad for referring to obscure bits of information from HoMe (must remember not everyone else has pored over the Gondorian family trees quite so obsessively) - sorry! A nice reminder that life goes on. Indeed - I reckon baby sister Lothiriel would leave quite a big hole in that family when she went off to marry Eomer, but I wanted to show the next generation filling the gap. Cheers, Liz

Uh, you did understand "not any time soon" means in a couple of years, didn't you? Oh I'm sure I'll be able to wait. I might just prod you occasionally Nic

I have been rather facinated by Imrahil lately. I recall that Imrahil is a dreamer. I would love to read a drabble about one of his "dreams" or "visions". Gronyats Hi Gronyats-- Imrahil's dreaming is a complete fanon, just so you know. I think Thundera Tiger may have started it, and I built upon it. In any event, how could I resist when you begged so prettily? So--here is my very first drabble. It's not exactly about a specific dream and I couldn't recollect if the title was part of the hundred words, so I didn't do a title. Addendum: finally came up with one. *************** The Wave The people of Dol Amroth pride themselves upon their culture and traditions, looking back to the Land of the Gift. For our land too is rich, granting us prosperity and the leisure to cultivate both grace and pretension. The Princes of Dol Amroth are prideful as well--made princes by the hand of Elendil, is it any wonder we might think ourselves greater than other men? But to the rulers of my house is sent the dream: the wave, black, devouring, all encompassing. A reminder that there is more to the story. A warning that pride could whelm us once again.

My birthday is May 6th. I would like something dealing with Dol Amroth in the Fourth Age. Imrahil has four children so there is plenty to work with. And here's one for you, River Otter. Got three of the four children in, and the fourth is mentioned. ************ Just A Bit Of Chop..... “Waves? No, these aren’t truly waves. Just a bit of chop,” the first brother, the soldier, says. “I could tell you stories about storms off the Cape of Andrast that would curl your hair,” the second brother, the sailor, says. “Besides, horses bounce up and down as well,” the third brother, the scholar, says. King Eomer of Rohan lurches over to the rail and loses his lunch. Three pairs of sea-grey eyes regard him speculatively. “Could we go back in?” he asks queasily. “Not until you tell us what your intentions towards our sister are,” the brothers chorus. Eomer blanches.

Isabeau wrote: I couldn't recollect if the title was part of the hundred words, so I didn't do a title. I believe you're allowed up to 15 additional words for the title. Neither of these were meant for me but I thought they were wonderful. The one with the three brothers and poor seasick Eomer was very funny - and I loved the way you tied Imrahil in with Faramir's wave dream Thankyou for writing and sharing. Cheers, Liz

And no, my drabble muse just won't shut up (she's now muttering bits of Beregond and Bergil dialogue in my ear ) Flick asked for "Remembering Boromir…" How would someone, great or small, named or unnamed, remember Boromir? It could be a thought, a letter, a conversation, or something about an actual memorial – anything. Thanks for giving me the chance to write an interaction between my two favourite characters remembering yours. Happy Birthday ! Legacies Faramir blinked in surprise as Pippin turned his blade and stepped inside his guard. When he had agreed to spar with the Halfling, he had not expected him to be so… competent. “Where did you learn that?” he asked suspiciously as Pippin moved back. “Boromir taught Merry and me some things.” Pippin caught the pained expression that flitted across Faramir’s face. “I’m sorry, my lord–.” he stammered. Faramir raised a hand and smiled. “He was a good teacher. I should have remembered he taught me never to underestimate an opponent. Let us see what other legacies he left for us.” Cheers, Liz

Thanks Isabeau! I like the wave dream and how it fits in with Faramir, Imrahil the sea and the fall of Numenor. I'm hopping up and down clapping my hands together! Thank you for writing your first drabble for me. Gronyats

Thank you Isabeau of Greenlea. Poor Eomer facing the chop of the sea and his future brothers-in-law. Wonder how Lothiriel feels when she discovers what her brothers did to her husband. River Otter

“Hello, my name is flick, and I’m a Boromir addict.” Hello, Flick! “I’ve tried to overcome it…” We're with you, sister! “I’ve tried to read about Aragorn. I’ve even tried to write about Hobbits. Or Gandalf… but Boromir is so… so…” Say it! You can do it! “I appealed to my Higher Power, but She just said ‘Boromir is so….so…’” Amen! ******* Houses of Healing A Ranger knows when he's watched, and at the rail, Faramir turns from contemplating Mordor. From the garden gate, the Ranger-king nods acknowledgment ere joining him, but 'tis not the East he watches. "Sire." "'Aragorn'. You seem pensive." "I am." And to the expectant silence: "I'd always thought 't'would be Boromir and I on the field... to the last," he says. Aragorn sighs. They speak no more 'til duty calls the king away. *** But just ere bed, a box comes for the Steward. Within he finds the vambraces, and so nearly misses the note: To the last, son of Gondor. —A. ******* What is it with me and epistolary fics for the first family of Gondor? Probably this needed a double drabble to really work, but I so wanted it to be a drabble. So it is. Happy birthday, Flick.

I'm hopping up and down clapping my hands together! Thank you for writing your first drabble for me. I'm very glad you liked it. I was afraid it would be too depressing. But Imri started whispering in my ear on the way home from work. He's such a gentleman.

I believe you're allowed up to 15 additional words for the title. I'll come up with something, then. Neither of these were meant for me but I thought they were wonderful. The one with the three brothers and poor seasick Eomer was very funny - and I loved the way you tied Imrahil in with Faramir's wave dream Thankyou for writing and sharing. You're welcome, Liz. I rather enjoyed doing them. Which is not necessarily a good thing.... (listening for Dwim cackling in the background).

I'm very glad you liked it. I was afraid it would be too depressing. But Imri started whispering in my ear on the way home from work. He's such a gentleman. Both drabbles were very nice, although I liked the second one better. That was just too, too funny! The Cygnets don't need to polish the proverbial shotgun to get a straight answer out of the prospective groom. And now that you've dipped a toe into the world of drabbling, I will never again believe the "I don't do drabbles" line. Addendum: I rather enjoyed doing them. Which is not necessarily a good thing Truer words were never spoken... Addendum 2: (listening for Dwim cackling in the background) Oh I am... I am... you have no idea...

Wonder how Lothiriel feels when she discovers what her brothers did to her husband. A good question! I suspect she marries and leaves for Rohan shortly after this, which is probably a good thing for the erring brothers.

And speaking of Lothiriel, here's another one, River Otter. I can stop any time, yes I can. This one even has a title! For Everything, There Is A Season… After the coronation and the celebration, time for a quiet family dinner and evening together. In the library, the Prince looks over his correspondence. Erchirion reads a book, while Elphir and Amrothos play a cutthroat game of chess. The Princesses Mariel and Lothiriel ply their needles together upon new clothes for Alphros, who is growing again. “There’s no reason to put it off any longer,” Lothiriel says suddenly, breaking the quiet. “We really need to find the two of you wives.” Aghast, Erchirion and Amrothos look pleadingly to their father for assistance, while Elphir, safely wed and heired, laughs merrily.

Oh, the May thread! I'm finally allowed to ask for a drabble! Your contributions have been great, guys, and the requests truly inspiring and varied. Will be back to give feedback, but I have to run now. Cheers, Starlight

Tanaqui/Liz wrote “Where did you learn that?” he asked suspiciously as Pippin moved back. That really made me smile! Faramir raised a hand and smiled. “He was a good teacher. I should have remembered he taught me never to underestimate an opponent. Let us see what other legacies he left for us.” I loved Boromir-as-teacher in FOTR, and this was a wonderful way to connect the threads of his life before and after the quest as well as weaving them into the lives of the people he cared about. A fitting tribute with such a hopeful feel. Thanks very much!

Dwim wrote: But just ere bed, a box comes for the Steward. Within he finds the vambrances, and so nearly misses the note: To the last, son of Gondor. —A. Definitely squee. A Dwim box and a Dwim note in my birthday drabble. I'm happy! This was beautiful and such good characterizations of them both. I just caught at my heart. And I'll admit I'm a total fool for the vambraces, so was happy to see what happened to them. What is it with me and epistolary fics for the first family of Gondor? Probably this needed a double drabble to really work, but I so wanted it to be a drabble. So it is. I'm totally content with my drabble, but just for the future and in general, this would make a lovely story. And part of it could be how the vambraces ended up back with Aragorn on the tomb. :hopeful smile: Happy birthday, Flick. Thanks so much!

Glad you liked the drabble, flick and Dwim. I'm so glad that these birthday challenges come around - writing these helps keep my hand in. Now I must see if I can think of some pre-war Aragorn for fliewatuet before tomorrow...

I'm a May baby! I suppose I shouldn't be greedy, given that I hand people nuzgûl all the time, BUT... No, you really don't deserve this, particularly after dragging me over here. But I do feel rather bad (OK, smug...) about the Kentucky Wonder Rebounding Nuzgul, so here you go. If anyone can find it in their heart to produce a drabble about Beregond or Bergil (or both), I'd be very happy. Just Bergil. Friendly Native Guide Children’s voices call out once again in Minas Tirith. Bergil’s friends have returned to the City, eager to hear his tales of the war. No reason to feel bereft, and yet… Then, one morning, Pippin is there before him again, and not alone. All of the other Periannath are with him, including the Ringbearer. “Ho, Bergil!” says Pippin. “Would you be our guide again today? For no one knows the City better than Bergil,” he tells the Ringbearer. Beregond’s son lifts his chin proudly, as his friends look on in awed respect. “I would be glad to,” he says, grinning.

flick wrote: I loved Boromir-as-teacher in FOTR, and this was a wonderful way to connect the threads of his life before and after the quest as well as weaving them into the lives of the people he cared about. A fitting tribute with such a hopeful feel. Thanks very much! So glad you liked it, as it really felt like a piece of complete indulgence for me! I loved Boromir-as-teacher in FOTR as well - and I think he would like to be remembered as someone who was not only a great warrior himself but taught others to defend themselves Happy birthday again Cheers, Liz

Definitely squee. You're welcome. I was a little worried it was too much Aragorn and Faramir, not enough Boromir. But it seems like it works... A Dwim box and a Dwim note in my birthday drabble. The two do seem to always go together, I admit. This was beautiful and such good characterizations of them both. It just caught at my heart. And I'll admit I'm a total fool for the vambraces, so was happy to see what happened to them. Gack! And what catches me is the fact that I spelled "vambrances" wrong. Argh! I can never remember if it has an "n" or not, and I'm almost always wrong on the first try. But otherwise, I agree--the vambraces have a lot of resonance for me, as well. I like the idea that they are passed on to others who need them time and time again. just for the future and in general, this would make a lovely story. And part of it could be how the vambraces ended up back with Aragorn on the tomb. :hopeful smile: I might've known that was coming. I rather doubt it'd get done anytime soon, but perhaps one day, if I get inspired... You're free to take it on yourself, you know...

I'm a May baby! I suppose I shouldn't be greedy, given that I hand people nuzgûl all the time, BUT... No, you really don't deserve this, particularly after dragging me over here. "Now, now, no bitterness..." But I do feel rather bad (OK, smug...) about the Kentucky Wonder Rebounding Nuzgul, so here you go. Never let it be said that I am above pity plays. ;-) Great job with Bergil—I love that his pride, which had played no part in missing Pippin, instantly reasserts itself in the face of a request. His bookverse character shines through—he's got a swagger, and he'll never be content as second-best (within the group of his peers, at least), but he's a good kid at heart and will grow up to be a good man. Thank you, Isabeau. [bats eyes sweetly] See? Aren't these fun?

Happy Birthday, Dwim! A Father’s Choice “Please, Father, don’t make me leave with Mother and the girls. I’m old enough! I want to do my part.” His eyes plead. Oh my son, you do not know what you ask. We who stay within these walls are doomed; we fight on for honor’s sake, not for hope of victory. But innocence does not negate courage. Too young this hour has come upon you, yet you meet it valiantly. Your small flame longs to shine against the darkness. How can I deny you, my son? Though the Shadow takes us both, still I will not quench your fire. Elana

Nirnaeth for Nol I feel stupid - I didn't realize until after I'd written this that Tanaqui had already done a very nice Hurin drabble. But I have to post the thing now I've written it, and as it's a rather more pessimistic take than Liz's I hope that neither lady will mind too much Happy birthday way, way in advance. Day Shall Come Again And there is no more battle, but where he stands; no more light but his helm in that river of dusk. He counts strokes: two score, three score. Each time his blade finds flesh, each moment of respite for those that flee, he cries aloud in the tongue of the Eldar: Aurë entuluva! Three score and ten. There are too many hands on him, a terrible weight; and he falls, and the Orcs fall over him like night. And then he feels terror, for instead of a blow, ropes and shackles come. And he understands that his avowal is betrayed. Gemma

But innocence does not negate courage. Oh, wonderfully put, Elana. I can just see Beregond remembering this scene as he greets Pippin later. How can I deny you, my son? Though the Shadow takes us both, still I will not quench your fire. And now I'm feeling all misty-eyed. Very well done. Cheers, Marta

Wild Iris, I certainly don't mind at all! I thought your Hurin drabble was great - the opening lines in particular gave me a shiver: And there is no more battle, but where he stands; no more light but his helm in that river of dusk." I'm very glad you didn't realise I'd written on Hurin and wrote and shared this with us. Cheers, Liz

Gorgeous, loaded imagery and understated tragedy - how could I mind at all? I've never thought of the betrayal of Hurin's own hope before. It's a wonderful way of weaving the central theme of the Nirnaeth into his own personal defeat. Sigh. Thank you very much. This was wonderful.

Thanks very much, Liz and Nol, for those lovely comments. I'm glad I didn't tread on any toes! I've never thought of the betrayal of Hurin's own hope before. Yes; leaving aside the wider historical dimension and looking just at his own life, nothing good is going to happen to the poor guy ever again Gemma

(Am I too late?) I've never done this before, and I mostly haunt the list and archives for good reading, but I would also like to request an Elrond drabble. I know someone else requested Elrond and Faramir, but I'd like to request Elrond and *a* family member - blood relative, adopted - makes no difference to me. (er... if it's not too much trouble...) My birthday is May 20th!

And I missed this! Thank you, Elana! We who stay within these walls are doomed; we fight on for honor’s sake, not for hope of victory. Oh yes, make it hurt more...! Er... I'm not really into pain in RL, you know. This is a scene I've been wrestling with myself, and it's interesting to see how you've gone about writing it in just 100 words. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how Bergil came to the conclusion that he was old enough to "do his part" or whether he yet knows what "his part" is going to entail? I'm not asking for another, really. Or trying to fling nuzgûl. Just very curious! Thank you again, Elana!

(Am I too late?) Hi nutterzoi. Nope, you're not too late. There's plenty of May left, after all. Elrond and a family member, hm? You and Nic ought to get along fabulously! Hey Nic! Wanna help a fellow Elrond Enthusiast out?

Hey Nic! Wanna help a fellow Elrond Ethusiast out? And there I was thinking how good it was that people were requesting stuff about characters I don't know enough about to write Somehow, I don't think I'll have too much trouble coming up with Elrond and a family member. It'll be keeping it down to 100 words that'll be hard... Nic

Elrond-and-family-member drabble hopefully to be shared between paranoidangel and nutterzoi. Happy advance birthdays - hope this is something like... Messengers I was a child when the star appeared, in the wild days of rumour. Someone said to me: it is your father, young one; he left as the herald of the Slain, and he is returned as the herald of the Valar. I knew it for truth. I spoke my hopes to Eärendil in the secret places of the night. I knew it for falsehood, when my brother died. The star was a ball of fire, and my father at the bottom of the sea. For no one who had seen those legends wrought had returned to tell the truth of them in Ennor. Until now. Gemma

Oh, hooray! That was really wonderful. It made me jump up and down with joy! (I made my roommate a little nervous ) I loved your description of Elrond's hopelessness after the death of his brother and then... "Until now." Very nice. I like birthdays!

Thank you! It's great to make people jump up and down Grovelling note: I realized after posting this that the 'no one came back' was not all that accurate, as there were all those Elves that came from Valinor to take part in the War of Wrath. Still, probably they would have been too busy killing things to have time for a chat about family histories. (And as the last resort of people who get things wrong, I submit a certificate of Poetic License.) Glad you liked it, nutterzoi! Gemma

For Everything, There Is A Season…

This was excellent. I enjoy domestic scenes. I can see Imrahil enjoying this after coronation and the celebration. Just a quiet evening and then this comment about marriage and wives - Aghast, Erchirion and Amrothos look pleadingly to their father for assistance, while Elphir, safely wed and heired, laughs merrily. - Elphir enjoying himself at his brothers' expense. RiverOtter

Re: For Everything, There Is A Season…

This was excellent. I enjoy domestic scenes. I can see Imrahil enjoying this after coronation and the celebration. Glad you liked it, River Otter. I'm afraid my Lothiriel is an unrepentant and very persistent matchmaker, who was probably thwarted at every turn during the war, and now sees golden vistas of opportunity stretching before her..... As for Elphir, you have to know his brothers twit him for being a straitlaced, old married fuddy-duddy, so he is just getting a bit of his own back.

Happy Birthday Nutterzoi! (Oh, and if anyone can help me think of a title for this one, I'd appreciate it.) I can fight to keep you no longer. Daily you fade, till now I can nearly see sunlight through your skin. Your eyes are empty of joy. The wounds of your body have healed, but I fear a deadlier weapon pierced your soul. Few of the Eldar could have survived the trials you bore. So joyful was I at your rescue, that you yet lived. But now I see our parting was merely delayed. Your fea already prepares to depart. Will your hroa make the journey also? Some wounds can never fully heal. Not this side of the Sundering Seas. Elana

My birthday's the 5th and I'd like to be totally predictable and ask for Elrond. Or failing that a drabble with Elrond in I'd also like to be unpredictable and ask for something with Faramir in - but no Boromir or Denethor or Eowyn (because it's my birthday and I'm allowed to be picky). Your wish is my command, Nic. Faramir and Elrond, and not a Boromir, Denethor (as much as it pains me), or Eowyn in sight. ***** Failed Foresight I had often been called farsighted, and yet -- and yet I would have sent the halfling home. Seeing him now, in the Tower garb, I wondered if the wisdom of Elrond had failed. "You doubted him as well?" I turned and saw the Steward standing at my side, his eyes troubled. "I did," I said after a moment. "I wished that he had returned to the Shire." At that Faramir chuckled. "So did I. I would have spared him this." The weariness left his face. He placed his hand on my forearm. "But that was not for us to decide."

My birthday's the 5th and I'd like to be totally predictable and ask for Elrond. Or failing that a drabble with Elrond in I'd also like to be unpredictable and ask for something with Faramir in - but no Boromir or Denethor or Eowyn (because it's my birthday and I'm allowed to be picky). Happy Birthday, Nic! It's Elrond and Faramir. OK, so it's got a little teeny-tiny bit of Boromir (I know it's you're birthday, but I need my Boromir-muse to write almost anything). Say you forgive me? flick Midsummer It was the end of Midsummer’s Day. Elrond stood on the White Tower, looking West. The sun hung on the horizon, and one star shone in the sky. The wedding was the zenith of their triumph over the Shadow. All Middle-Earth rejoiced, full of songs and triumph. Now the sun was sinking. Elrond saw, yet again, the evening awaiting his daughter and all the race of Men. Midsummer would turn to fall and withering, their brightness going down to another shadow. He heard a step behind him. Then Faramir was beside him, looking to the West. “I come here to speak with my brother. There is life beyond the shadows, though we cannot see it.” After a moment, they turned and went back to the wedding feast.

I'll reply to all of my latest drabbles in one go: Gemma - poor little Elrond! I love these two lines: I knew it for truth. I knew it for falsehood, when my brother died. I'm loving the angst in the middle there and the hope in the last two words. (poetic licence accepted!) Elana - I know this one's not mine, but I think older Elrond needs a hug as well after that one Marta - Yay for the Elrond and Faramir. Doubting!Elrond and Faramir as well. That was a lovely little conversation between them. Do I see an AU nuzgul here? flick - ah, Faramir is so wise. You're forgiven the Boromir though, because Liz managed to sneak him in as well, plus it was so good. I like what it doesn't say. Although I did notice a mistake in it (sorry!). There's either an extra word or a wrong word in here: their brightness going down to the another shadow. Nic Torturer of Elrond by proxy

Nic wrote: Although I did notice a mistake in it (sorry!). There's either an extra word or a wrong word in here.... There was indeed -- thanks for the catch. I tie bows crooked, too, so there was bound to be a hitch in the giddyup ;) somewhere. Thanks for allowing my Boromir to be part of the party, too, though in absentia.

Marta - Yay for the Elrond and Faramir. Doubting!Elrond and Faramir as well. That was a lovely little conversation between them. Do I see an AU nuzgul here? Nyet, no more nuzgul... At the risk of doing the extremely stupid thing of allowing another nuzgul bite, what sort of AU nuzgul did you have in mind? Marta

what sort of AU nuzgul did you have in mind? Just what you said at the start of your drabble, what would have happened it Elrond had sent the halfling home Nic

Happy Birthday, Flick. It's sort of remembering Boromir: Brother Faramir walked the city, desiring solitude. He tried to shake off his feelings of guilt for giving Boromir's clothes to the poor of Minas Tirith. Boromir no longer needed them, yet Faramir was not ready to give his brother up. He was not allowed to be alone, though, for Aragorn fell into step beside him. "I always wondered what it would be like to grow up with a brother," he said. Faramir gave a rueful smile. "When we were younger and we fought I would wish I didn't have a brother." Aragorn frowned. "Tell me," he said and Faramir did. Nic

Nic wrote: Faramir walked the city, desiring solitude. He tried to shake off his feelings of guilt for giving Boromir's clothes to the poor of Minas Tirith. Boromir no longer needed them, yet Faramir was not ready to give his brother up. ::wails:: Thank you so much for this! I especially liked that Boromir was being remembered not as the noble captain or tragic figure, but as the sometimes contentious older brother whom Faramir loved. And I loved that Aragorn was stepping, oh so quietly, into the empty space.

Do I still have time for a drabble request? I have been wishing my birthday would come, and now that it is here, I have no idea what to ask for! I would love a drabble about cultural exchanges. How people in Middle-earth deal with each other's differences as neighbors, friends, fellow-fellowship members... :-) and how they go about working to get over those differences (if they do). It could be a first meeting or any sort of encounter between people of different cultures. Or, I would *love* to hear about your favorite character. Write a drabble about your favorite character during a moment that moves you, doing his/her favorite activity, during a pivotial moment in his/her life. Just let me know who's your favorite! I'd be ever so grateful... Thank you so much. Oh, I will finally get a birthday drabble! Starlight P.S. I forgot- my birthday is May 30th

Happy (slightly late) Birthday Flick Shieldbearers The end of Solmonath was a time of remembrance in the Riddermark. Standing with Eomer, Lothiriel watched the river flowing around Theodred’s resting place as around a boat’s prow. Horn-calls and grieving voices sang of the glorious Shieldbearer, his might in battle, wisdom in council; but she knew well enough the sorrow they both shared was for smaller memories than these. For cousins can be close as brothers, after all. Quietly then she remembered Boromir’s kindly arm around her shoulders, the comforting smell of oil on leather and, against her cheek, the swordsman’s calluses as he brushed away her tears. Cheers, Alawa

Alawa wrote: The end of Solmonath was a time of remembrance in the Riddermark. This was really lovely and so evocative. There's far too little out there about Boromir's time in the Riddermark. Yay! ...the comforting smell of oil on leather and, against her cheek, the swordsman’s calluses as he brushed away her tears. Loved this especially -- a sensual and resonant way to remember Boromir. -- but all of it was beautifully done. Thank you so much for this! And it's not late; we celebrate the Birth Week at our house, so the partying goes on.

Here you go Flick: From one May baby to another. This is my first attempt at a drabble. Since Isabeau was brave enough to do one for me, I thought I should try one myself. Here goes. Spilling Buckets Messengers. Only ill news begotten in these evil days. Our refuge unsafe from such things. Memories. A soldier of calloused, gentle hands touched mine as I went to retrieve a bucket spilled by ruffians. “Please, my lady, let me?” Nodding. My family was leaving this place for safer grounds. Our lands were over run. His eyes were kind and sad. He was beautiful and fell, simultaneously. “At least I can help you on your way, even though I can’t spare you this, my lady.” Returning. “Boromir is dead, Boromir is dead.” Gronyats

“Hello, my name is flick, and I’m a Boromir addict.”
I'm a bit late with this, but here is my small contribution to “Remembering Boromir…” ~*~ The horse stood waiting by the fountainhead. His legs were scratched, his mane tangled. The empty saddle showed the ill effects of water. Éomer’s soft-voiced words soothed the trembling horse as Théodred ran practiced hands over the dusty coat, looking for signs that might tell the rider’s fate. There was naught. “He is unhorsed - that is all. Such a doughty man will find his way afoot if needs must.” "Twas a fool's errand - a dreamer chasing shadows," sneered Gríma, coming down the steps behind them. "Nay," countered Théodred, "he is the steward of his people’s future, pursuing hope." ~Nessime

Hi, Gronyats! I'm honored to be the recipient of your first drabble. And it's so well done -- very poignent. Loved this especially: His eyes were kind and sad. He was beautiful and fell, simultaneously. “At least I can help you on your way, even though I can’t spare you this, my lady.” A lovely, and sad, way to remember Boromir. Thanks very much!

Hi, Ness! It's not late -- we're still celebrating. Had a birthday lunch with my parents and going tonight with friends to a gallery opening that includes Alan Lee's work (squee!). This was wonderful. I *loved* that fact that Grima was dissing Boromir and got put down soundly. Grima's my favorite villain, so I bounced about to see him in the drabble. "Twas a fool's errand - a dreamer chasing shadows," sneered Gríma, coming down the steps behind them. "Nay," countered Théodred, "he is the steward of his people’s future, pursuing hope." :happy sigh: Grima, Theodred, Eomer, Boromir -- what more could a girl ask for on her birthday? Thank you.

Hi, Gronyats! I'm honored to be the recipient of your first drabble. And it's so well done -- very poignent. Flick, You are very welcome. It was fun writing it. Gronyats

So glad you liked it, flick. The only way I can get my head round Boromir at the moment is through Faramir. Alawa - I liked the comparison between Theodred and Eomer and Boromir and Lothiriel, and how thinking about the first pair reminds her of the second. Nic

This is for nutterzoi, who wanted Elrond and a family member. He watches Arwen as she cuts the arrowhead from her brother's shoulder, her eyes as steady as her hands on the surgeon's knife. Before she asks, he presses a cloth into her outstretched hand and she blots the blood sliding down Elladan's arm. Later, while they put the stillroom in order, Elrond draws his daughter into his arms and kisses her hair, smooth and shining as the obsidian tool she wielded on her brother's flesh. "It is well that there are two healers to care for the two hunters in this family." Her rare smile illuminates the grave grey eyes.

Oh wow! That was lovely! :-D Elrond and my favorite of his family members! There's usually so much angst associated with that relationship (not that I'm opposed to angst!) - I think you did a wonderful job capturing one of what I assume to be many fairly calm and happy father-daughter moments. ::happy sigh:: Thank you very much. I shall go to bed with a warm fuzzy feeling!

I'm just going to agree with nutterzoi and say that was lovely. I like the father-daughter relationship as well. I'm working on one for you nutterzoi, but so far I only have the last line - it might look pale in comparison to Forodwaith's though! Nic

I deliberately set out to write an angst-free drabble. Glad you liked it, nutterzoi.

Thank you so much for this! And it's not late; we celebrate the Birth Week at our house, so the partying goes on. Very glad you enjoyed it! And hope you enjoyed the rest of your week too.

Alawa - I liked the comparison between Theodred and Eomer and Boromir and Lothiriel, and how thinking about the first pair reminds her of the second. Hi Nic Theodred and Boromir have such a lot in common – the same age, both the heirs presumptive, both killed by Saruman’s minions within a day of each other. It seemed natural that Lothiriel would be remember him as well, especially as there is no actual burial place for him.

I'm very late replying to this, but I'm glad you liked it, Nic! Gemma

Nol: I'd really like to read a drabble about women in the Silmarillion. As rulers, lovers, mothers, warriors, artists, wheeler-dealers - anything. As I managed to double-up on Hurin, I thought I'd try a female complement. This refused to turn into a drabble, though; it's a half-drabble. I'm still not entirely sure if it stands alone. Tol Morwen There is no afterward. Each twisting path led up this hill. Even the forest that clutched at me so long has laid down its arms. My body is of nothing above the earth. My womb is a grave sealed with a stone. That mute incomprehension in the dark, wherein is our beginning and our ending. Gemma

Alawa, I love this remembrance of both Théodred and Boromir. Like you, I've always been struck by the similarities between their lives and their deaths. Beautifully written - and you've given me another glimpse of Lothíriel that makes me like her a little more. ~Nessime

Starlight, happy early birthday. Neighbors If there's a wrong side of the river, as they say, they're neither sure which side it is. Blodwyn, watering her horses, hears the bleating sheep first, then spies the dark lass among them across the ford. It's been a time since they've seen each other—when the war came, the Isenlands were cleared. The spear-ringed mound tells a too-common tale, and the Dunlending wears a shawl black as Blodwyn's. Who knows but that their men may now lie brother-buried in the Deep...? "Goddaeg, Dunlending! 'Ware for caltrops!" Blodwyn calls gruffly. The reply floats back, "Ne sees nane, Forgoil. Ged'dag!"

I'm a May baby, and I'd really like to read a drabble about women in the Silmarillion. As rulers, lovers, mothers, warriors, artists, wheeler-dealers - anything. For Nol, my first birthday drabble. My favorite Tolkien woman contemplates. Hope you enjoy! A Star is Born Were we all so perfect when we began? His fingers, his toes, his tiny features…perfect. Do all mothers think their babes so beautiful? I wonder, for the first time, is this how my mother looked upon me? I wish I could ask her. How then can it be that we change so much? How have we fallen so far? My perfect child, my star that rises from the line of Finwë and the House of Hador. A great fall is at hand, my son - will you one day be a falling star? Or will your perfect light shine forever? Happy Birthday, Nol!

nutterzoi said: I would also like to request an Elrond drabble. I know someone else requested Elrond and Faramir, but I'd like to request Elrond and *a* family member - blood relative, adopted - makes no difference to me. (er... if it's not too much trouble...) Not too much trouble at all But you should really thank Marta for making me think about Elrond for half the week beta-ing one of her pieces! Mother and Son She comes to meet me on the quay. Star-spray amidst the mist of the sea as it frets against the stones of the Swan-haven. Two ages of the world since our hands last touched. I have been war captain and lore master, counsellor and comrade. Yet I am shy before her, wondering if my deeds will please her, make her proud. I am sad also I have brought no grandchild to gladden her heart. I fear, in truth, she may know none of them. She takes my hands and smiles, and I find I have not misremembered all these years. Cheers, Liz

That was wonderful! (::laughs:: I think I say that every time, but I just get so excited and happy!!) I especially liked the uncertainty he feels when he sees his mother again. It was well done - he thinks of all the things he's been to others, and wonders if that's good enough for his mother. Very nice. ::happy sigh:: Thank you very much! Have I mentioned I love birthdays?

Oh, thank you again, Gemma! Morwen as mother and mourner - just like the dead earth. I think you've packed more in fifty than you did for Hurin in a hundred. I can't even begin to pick out images that stood out from the others - they're all so stark and true. I love both of them. Will you post this on your LJ too? I'd like to save a link.

Or will your perfect light shine forever? Idril as mother and half-prophetess has such a lovely voice - intelligent and wistful and just a wee bit dizzy for her new baby. *hugs self* I'm very interested in Idril as a character too. This is so good - and such a wonderful contrast to Gemma's Morwen drabble. Thanks so much, Tenshi! I'm really very pleased that I can claim your first birthday drabble for my own. Will we see more soon? *crossedfingers*

nutterzoi wrote: That was wonderful! (::laughs:: I think I say that every time, but I just get so excited and happy!!) I especially liked the uncertainty he feels when he sees his mother again. It was well done - he thinks of all the things he's been to others, and wonders if that's good enough for his mother. Very nice. ::happy sigh:: Thank you very much! Have I mentioned I love birthdays? LOL - glad it made you excited and happy! I simply realised, thinking about it all, how weird and sad it was that Elrond hadn't seen his parents since he was about 17 and he's now 6000 years old - and wondering what his mother would make of him. (I was thinking about doing him meeting his father instead, but there were some practical issues...) I also had to stop this being hijacked by the "spaces" around Elrond, all the people who aren't there any more in his life (Elros and Arwen for example). Thanks for giving me a chance to understand Elrond a bit more :-D Happy birthday for next week. Cheers, Liz

Thanks, Nol - I'm so glad you thought it worked OK! Of course I'll post it on LJ if that'd be more convenient for you. Liz, I particularly liked your Elrond drabble - beautiful and disarming, especially the image of the sea 'fretting' and the play on Elwing's name. Gemma

June! Where's June?! I'm in June! 13th.. thanks for asking! Gee, who can guess what kind of drabble I'll want???? ~Lady Aranel~

A refuge for the weary Oh, my... very nice, Liz!!! ~Lady A~

I have been war captain and lore master, counsellor and comrade. Yet I am shy before her, wondering if my deeds will please her, make her proud. I am sad also I have brought no grandchild to gladden her heart. I fear, in truth, she may know none of them. *goose flesh* wow. Very nice. you know, I know these don't need beta'ing, but as one of your beta's I must protest....that I never get to see these. You do know that one of the reasons I beta your work is because I love your writing? Lovely, ~Lady A~

Wild Iris, Lady Aranel - glad you liked the Elrond drabble Lady Aranel wrote: you know, I know these don't need beta'ing, but as one of your beta's I must protest....that I never get to see these. Err, they're all over here for anyone to see... (In case you haven't spotted them, I've written three others this month... and I will be writing the three I haven't got round to yet - Dwim, Gronyats and Starlight. These May babies are evil, evil people!) Cheers, Liz Ps Lady Aranel - I'm sure Marta or Dwim will be creating a thread for June in a week or so. And gosh, what could you possibly ask for...

Ah, Nol, I’m delighted you liked it! I’m glad that Idril came across so well, especially the quietly euphoric new-mother-ness. I’m happy you got the half-prophetess out of it, too – just a touch of foresight, enough to know that doom is at hand, but not enough to know the ultimate outcome. I was hoping to portray her uncertainty about her baby’s future, and wondering if his light was destined to be marred as well, the way she sees herself and her kin. That’s a lot to try to pack into 100 words! I was surprised by how unique a challenge drabbling is, but I enjoyed it. This was so much fun, thanks to your encouragement I think you can definitely expect to see more from me in the future. In fact…

nutterzoi: Elrond and *a* family member - blood relative, adopted - makes no difference to me. Here is my attempt at filling your drabble request. It is not in Elrond’s voice, but I hope you like it anyway. (Early) Happy Birthday! Letting Go I have held the very stars in my hands, the light of the Eldar and Edain. Yet stars cannot be held forever. Though I sought to lay hands on different light, nonetheless I have come to love the light found unlooked-for. Now I must let go of what I love, and seek what I no longer want. I do too little, too late; one reparation in a lifetime of mistakes. As the Age draws near its close, so too my story – I have one more task ahead of me. Your part is but beginning. I release you. I release you.

Starlight: It could be a first meeting or any sort of encounter between people of different cultures. For Starlight, a ‘first meeting’ between two peoples. Not deep at all, but I hope you enjoy anyway. This is what you get for such a tough request. Inspired by a fic by Lalaith. Early Happy Birthday! Good for the Chase Nahar snorts, dancing to the side to avoid trampling it. What new game is this? It looks too spindly to be good for eating, but with those long legs, perhaps it is good for the chase… I prod it with my spear, hoping it might try to run that I may pursue it. The creature squawks at me, and amazingly in its chatter I discern words I can understand! “Who are you?” I ask. “What is your kind?” It balks to hear me speak, but answers. “Ingwë,” it named itself. “Quendi. We thought you were..." Ingwë shivers, "the Other One.”

Ps Lady Aranel - I'm sure Marta or Dwim will be creating a thread for June in a week or so. And gosh, what could you possibly ask for... *whistles* ooooh... I dunno... elf smut maybe???? ~Lady A~

Ps Lady Aranel - I'm sure Marta or Dwim will be creating a thread for June in a week or so. I usually put it up 5-7 days before the end of the month. That gives people time to sign up, with it still being close to the start of the next week. So look for your thread around the 25th. Of course, with RotK theatrical being released on the 25th, perhaps we should put it up a few days earlier? Marta

Happy Birthday, nutterzoi - I thought I wasn't going to get this done in time, so I've quite impressed myself by getting this in a few hours before your birthday. Letting Go [which seems to be something of an Elrond theme!] "Adar." Elrond turned to her and there was a tear in his eye. Arwen stepped back - her father never cried. But he held out his arms and smiled at her, so she stepped into them. "I wish things were different," she said. "We cannot change the past." Arwen said nothing, wishing she could hold on to childish fantasies. "I should not have let your mother go, but now I must, though I do not want to." "Neither do I." But they both knew he would do what was best for Celebrían, not Elrond. He always had and always would.

Happy Birthday, nutterzoi I would also like to request an Elrond drabble. I know someone else requested Elrond and Faramir, but I'd like to request Elrond and *a* family member - blood relative, adopted - makes no difference to me. (er... if it's not too much trouble...) Vision Elrond could see many things. He had seen them on Cerin Amroth, seen Arwen’s doom sealed as they stood entwined, elanor and niphrodel like small stars scattered at their feet. Like stars themselves, clothed in white and silver, they plighted their troth. Did they see the darkness around them? Years had passed, that shadow gone. Now he joined their hands. Those who stood by saw all the stars of that midsummer evening blossom in the sky as Estel embraced his Evenstar, hope fulfilled. Elrond saw an abyss of time between them, a marble tomb and a green grave on Cerin Amroth. Beyond that he could not see. As he held their hands in that moment, Elrond saw many things. Yet he envied them.

I combined Flick and Nic's drabble requests and added an extra 2,613 words so it may be found here: Remembering Boromir Avon

Yoo, hoo! : When I checked, I couldn't get any content. :smiles hopefully:, 'cause I can't wait to see what you wrote:

Avon You forgot to set the chapter number: the default when a chapter is first posted is 0 and a chapter with number 0 doesn't display to other members. (Forgetting to set the chapter number is an easy mistake to make!) I set it to 1 for you so other members can see your story before you wake up. Hope that's OK (as you had SSPd and linked to the story, I took the liberty of assuming you were ready for it to be posted.) Cheers, Liz

I'd like to request Elrond and *a* family member - blood relative, adopted I assume foster family counts? If so, then I have a drabble for you. It's something Liz and I have talked about, and it's best that I work it out in drabble form rather than vignette. Enjoy, Nutterzoi! ***** The Heirs of Isildur The Half-elf sat up and squinted in the early-morning light pouring through the windows, now deprived of their drapes. "Aravir? Why are you...?" The six-year-old scowled at him. "My name is not Aravir." Elrond shook his head, trying to focus his mind. Of course not. Aravir had been speared by an orc-captain; that was nigh fifty years ago. "Argonui?" The child stomped over to the bed, placing his hands on his hips. "My. Name. Is. Arador." The future chieftain stormed out of the room. Why must Isildur have so many heirs? Elrond hurried after the child to apologise.

Gosh, thanks, Liz! The silly thing is that I did notice it was coming up with a zero chapter number - but I just assumed that in ni!HASA that was now the first chapter number. ;-) Dopey, me! Thanks again, Avon

Just peeking in .... To tell the Evilness that is Dwim that I have a little something written for your birthday. It's Bergil and Beregond. But I'm going to make you wait. Until your birthday. >:-E ~ Erin

Avon wrote: I combined Flick and Nic's drabble requests and added an extra 2,613 words .... I'm so glad my birthday was one of the sparks for this beautiful story. I'm off to comment in more detail at the story thread. Yay!

I'm so glad my birthday was one of the sparks for this beautiful story Me too! I can't quite believe the number of people who managed to get Elrond and Faramir together given the limited number of options to of time and subject. flick - I love your drabble - the last line just blew me away! Marta - that did make me laugh. Apart from liking the silliness of it all, I liked the implication that fifty years is a short time to Elrond, which of course it is. Liz - I've been meaning to tell you how much I liked your Mother and Son drabble. I was going to quote my favourite bit but it was all of the middle paragraph. Nic

Marta - that did make me laugh. Apart from liking the silliness of it all, I liked the implication that fifty years is a short time to Elrond, which of course it is. Thanks, Nic. I've started liking Elrond much, much more since I realised he's very Edainish, if that makes sense. Kind of like a very long-lived Aragorn with some Gandalf thrown in for good measure. (And Faramir! The two really are quite alike. What would they talk about it? Who would win, if they ever played chess? That would be your nuzgul, Nic.) (Side note: Now that I think about it, talking to Elrond could actually be quite therapeutic for Faramir. Father and Mother both abandoning him, being kidnapped by the Feanorians... it kind of puts the whole pyre incident in perspective. To say nothing of the intellectual curiosity Faramir is sure to have about the Northern Line... ) Getthisnuzguloffofmenow! Anyway, I'm rambling. Glad you liked it, Nic. Marta

I've started liking Elrond much, much more Yay! Elrond's great That would be your nuzgul, Nic. I was actually just thinking I should write some Elrond and Faramir, so I quite like that chess idea. Perhaps after the Tag Team Challenger I might feel confident enough to tackle Faramir. Nic

I've started liking Elrond much, much more Yay! Elrond's great
He is, isn't he? I've always found him an interesting character, but only after reading the Silmarillion and some recent discussions with my betas have I really begun to appreciate him. See, Trish? Your efforts to make me like Elves more is working. Just not on the elf you wanted.
That would be your nuzgul, Nic. I was actually just thinking I should write some Elrond and Faramir, so I quite like that chess idea. Perhaps after the Tag Team Challenger I might feel confident enough to tackle Faramir.
Excellent. This is a nuzgul that might be worthy of the hutch, so look for it. Marta Edit: Duly added to the hutch: "Lord of Men, Lord of Elves." Nic, if this doesn't quite fit what you had in mind, let me know.

Duly added to the hutch: "Lord of Men, Lord of Elves." Nic, if this doesn't quite fit what you had in mind, let me know. You're just trying to make me write something, aren't you? That looks good to me, I hadn't thought of so many things they had in common. Nic

You're just trying to make me write something, aren't you? That looks good to me, I hadn't thought of so many things they had in common. Moi? And even if I was, isn't that the purpose of the hutch? To pawn off your spare nuzgul on the unsuspecting victi willing authors so you don't have to write them? As to seeing similarities between Elrond and Faramir, well, it's obvious I've been spending too much time with Tanaqui.

As to seeing similarities between Elrond and Faramir, well, it's obvious I've been spending too much time with Tanaqui. I go away for 36 hours and come back to see my name is being taken in vain Marta just tried to set this nuzgul on me individually until I pointed out I'd already offered to write it about 50 messages back in this thread.... Nic - glad you liked the Elrond and Elwing drabble. Cheers, Liz

Dwim wrote: If anyone can find it in their heart to produce a drabble about Beregond or Bergil (or both), I'd be very happy. Here's both - hope you like it. Happy Birthday for the 25th. New Home Beregond watched anxiously as Bergil looked around the courtyard at the new-built officers’ houses, while the sound of drill-practice drifted through the gateway. “No market?” the boy asked dubiously. “Not yet.” “No school?” That sounded more hopeful. Beregond laughed. “That has been started. There are several families here.” A boy came out of one of the other houses. He and Bergil eyed each other, before Bergil crossed to speak with him. Soon, Bergil turned and waved to his father. “Falborn is going to show me a bird’s nest!” Beregond smiled. At last he has a chance to be a boy! Cheers, Liz

Starlight: asked for a drabble about cultural exchanges....Or, I would *love* to hear about your favorite character. Write a drabble about your favorite character during a moment that moves you Well, my two favourite characters are Faramir and Pippin (I think you knew that already?) and they are from different cultures, so I have been able to combine your requests . Happy Birthday! A good custom “A birthday present?” Faramir frowned. “You must be mistaken. My birthday is not for some months.” “No, it’s mine.” Pippin explained. “Hobbits give presents to others on their own birthdays. It means we each get something most weeks. It’s a good custom!” “Yes, I can see that.” Faramir laughed. “I shall have to remember it.” He bowed to Pippin. “My thanks and my best wishes for your birthday.” Yet Pippin knew he had received the better gift when he saw the delight that lit Faramir’s face as he unrolled a little pencil sketch of Boromir that the hobbit had drawn. Cheers, Liz

Yet Pippin knew he had received the better gift when he saw the delight that lit Faramir’s face as he unrolled a little pencil sketch of Boromir that the hobbit had drawn. Goose bumps. You gave me goose bumps. It's so beautiful, Liz! - Barbara

Of course I was unable to refrain from looking until tomorrow. Oh well. Life is short, even if one's undead alter ego is, well, undead, and a few thousand years old. “No market?” the boy asked dubiously. “Not yet.” “No school?” That sounded more hopeful. Beregond laughed. “That has been started. There are several families here.” ROFL! Oh, I so know the feeling, Bergil! Beregond smiled. At last he has a chance to be a boy! Good last line—I have often thought Beregond must have wondered what effect the siege had had on Bergil, and that he would regret in a way that he had allowed Bergil to stay because it really is a man's job defending Minas Tirith. Which just makes me want to know more than ever how Bergil and the other boys convinced their parents to allow them to stay! Thank you for my birthday prezzie, Liz! Dwim

Erin: The Evilness that is Dwim, being highly impatient, sticks its tongue out at you. Smart move, holding back on posting the story, considering my last forum post. I eagerly await the tale. Dwim, who is going to be much more sparing of those "get out of the Hutch free" passes in the future...

Sorry to be so late in posting my thanks for all of the wonderful birthday drabbles, but the day of my birthday and the days following have been very busy (birthday celebrations, visiting family and fiancé, starting new job…), and I’ve only just returned to my computer. Now to comment… Tenshi: I liked your drabble from Eärendil’s point of view. I don’t often think about how difficult it must have been for the parent to leave the child – I usually just pity poor Elrond and Elros. ;-) I also love the contrast between grasping for and release. Beautifully done. Nic: I loved the shared sorrow between Elrond and Arwen about the departure of Celebrían. The line: Arwen said nothing, wishing she could hold on to childish fantasies. was really heartbreaking. Another lovely drabble in the point of view of a family member rather than Elrond himself. Flick: I liked hearing Elrond’s reflection on Arwen and Aragorn’s relationship. Very poignant. I especially liked the second paragraph – hope fulfilled, the ages that part them, the sadness and graves – and then the unexpected envy. Beautiful and sad. Marta: And hilarity ensues! The lighter side of Elrond and the fostering of Isildur’s heirs was highly entertaining to me. As someone with five sisters and enough aunts that I am rarely called upon by my proper name, I really understand how Arador feels! ::laughs:: It was wonderful and highly conducive to giggling. To all who wished me a happy birthday, thank you! I had a wonderful birthday, and greatly enjoyed my drabbles! Nutterzoi

The great day dawns - here in the UK anyway. The Steward's Standard “But why is it white?” Young Bergil was eager to know and Beregond had tried to explain. “Well, at night a captain flies the white flag to rally his men in battle, show them the way. For in the dark ‘tis all too easy to go astray.” But Bergil did not really understand. Not until later, in sunlit Emyn Arnen, as the banners unfurled above the Prince’s House for the first time. Then he sang his lord and lady home and cheered himself hoarse as the Captain of the White Company came marching past at the head of his men. Cheers Dwim and Happy Birthday! Andria

Glad you liked the birthday present, Dwim . Just wondering: did the Witch-King of Angmar pick up a few hobbit customs (maybe he captured some of those archers they claim they sent to the battle), since you seem as intent on distributing presents as receiving them today? I'm afraid I'm going to be too busy wrestling on and off with writing small Boromirs and Faramirs for the next few months (when I actually manage to write anything other then drabbles) to want to take on the hideous task of writing another child in a convincingly Tolkienesque manner. Try Marta (And it's not as if I haven't been an assiduous adopter of nuzguls so far, is it?) Have a good day of successful nuzgul flinging. Cheers, Liz

Gronyats said I have been rather fascinated by Imrahil lately. I recall that Imrahil is a dreamer. I would love to read a drabble about one of his "dreams" or "visions". Not quite sure if this was what you had in mind, Gronyats, but I it was what came out. I hope it suits! Happy Birthday! Seeing My family dream big dreams. It is the gift – or the curse – of our elven heritage. Yet my visions are small. My sons have survived the war. The laughter of their children fills my home and gladdens my heart. We have peace with Umbar, so they will never again face those same perils. My daughter has made a marriage both honourable and pleasing to her. (It is well, too, that a man should like the father of his grandchildren!) My nephew has found happiness amidst his grief. My family dream big dreams. I see the present – and I am content. Cheers, Liz (Phew, that's May sorted at last. But I see those evil June babies seem to all want Legolas....)

Liz, Thank you so much. That was beautiful! I love the part where he said "My sons have survived the war". It's appropriate for today also. I hope all of our troups return safely. Again, thank you so much. Gronyats

If anyone can find it in their heart to produce a drabble about Beregond or Bergil (or both), I'd be very happy. Grrr... nasty Dwimses, flinging nuzgul she knows we can't refuse... Seriously, happy birthday, Dwim. This is not the last thing you'll see from me today,as you seem to have a remarkable effect on exactly how creatively inspired I am. (Just how much blood are you giving at the witch-doctor?) So Other Men May Fight ***** Bergil glared at me, a defiant look in his eyes. "I am not going." "Please, son, listen to reason..." "I will not be sent away. You have always called me your little man. And if I am not yet old enough to wield a sword, surely I can help some other way, so other men may fight?" If we could muster half that defiance, perhaps Gondor would stand, if only on one leg. "Besides, Gelmir is staying." And he would not abandon his friends. I sighed. "Very well; you may stay."

Hi Andria, Ooh, interesting choice of subjects, and good use of Bergil's natural ignorance and curiosity as a child. I especially liked this set of lines: "... For in the dark ‘tis all too easy to go astray.” But Bergil did not really understand. Not until later, in sunlit Emyn Arnen, as the banners unfurled above the Prince’s House for the first time. The flag matches the bearer's function, but this time, it guides the Steward himself home to peace, not to war. Well done, and thank you!

Liz said: Just wondering: did the Witch-King of Angmar pick up a few hobbit customs (maybe he captured some of those archers they claim they sent to the battle), since you seem as intent on distributing presents as receiving them today? The Witch-King knows perfidy and corruption when presented with it. Naturally she (I realize it's hard to tell a Ringwraith's gender under all those robes) picked up a few hobbit customs that suggested themselves as ripe for being used against others. Besides, it is not my fault that Bergil is naturally adorable and just begs to be written more fully, along with his father. I suppose I shall have to peddle my nuzgûl more broadly, if only for my own sake... Have a good day of successful nuzgul flinging. Aren't you just so lucky I work this afternoon from four til eleven? ;-) Thanks again, Liz!

Seriously, happy birthday, Dwim. This is not the last thing you'll see from me today,as you seem to have a remarkable effect on exactly how creatively inspired I am. (Just how much blood are you giving at the witch-doctor?) Anemia will not keep me down! ;-) Thank you for the well-wishes, and I look forward to seeing what else may come of this bout of creativity. If we could muster half that defiance, perhaps Gondor would stand, if only on one leg. "Besides, Gelmir is staying." *snork* For some reason, "Besides, Gelmir is staying" just strikes me as hysterical and very Bergil. Very much a child's reasoning in the end: first the well thought out excuses, then "But so-and-so's dad is letting him do it!" Of course, with a name like Gelmir, I would worry a little more were I Beregond (isn't Gelmir the Elf who got brutally vivisected at the Nirnaeth or some such other unpleasant death?) Thanks, Marta! If you need any more nuzgûl, don't hesitate to ask...

To our dear, devious Dwim ~ Who shares a birthday with Ian McKellen, but since Ian is not here ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! As requested, a little Bergil and Beregond for you - and please forgive if some of us come up with similar ideas - great minds, and all. May you have a splendiferously wondermous day!
~*~
Boys To Men We do not truly see when boys become men. It is not in the bones grown suddenly long, or the hands grown awkward with new-found strength. "You cannot send me away, Father!" he cries. "The White City needs all of us, quick lads as well as strong men. Let me stand as you do, as Gondor needs us to!" My son, my son. I see manhood first in his clear grey eyes, gazing fiercely up into my own. His shoulders are under my hands, the soft skin of his brow briefly under my lips. "Aye, Bergil. Stand with me."
~ * ~
~ Erin

Re: May 2004 Babies - Dwim's request

May 25 - Dwim: If anyone can find it in their heart to produce a drabble about Beregond or Bergil (or both), I'd be very happy. Here is another drabble for your birthday. Sorry Aragorn invaded this, it was supposed to be only Beregond and Bergil but I seem to have a one-track mind. I didn't think you'd mind too much. Happy birthday, Dwim! In the Hands of the King “Is it true, father?” Weary, I grab his shoulder and carefully inspect him. His clothes are grimed and rent, but little more so than after a day in the fields. The bloodstains are old, dried. Tears have washed clean tracks, smeared again now with the back of his hand. “They say you left your post and killed in the Hallows.” I cannot belittle his fears for they mirror my own. I draw him, unresisting, into my arms. “I had to do what was right for Faramir. There is a king now and I can hope for mercy not only justice.” Have a very happy day! Gwynnyd

*sighhh* I get it, now. Dwim has a deal with these nuzgul she so casually flings about. She tosses them out there, and they get to bite us as many times as they want! Now Beregond won't leave! Very well, then all may suffer with me! Here is more Beregond and Bergil: Not a drabble, not even a double-drabble, but just a few words short of a triple-drabble! Oh, woe. Just for you, Dwim! And again, have a wonderful day!
~*~
In The King's Hands I look at my hands, a soldier's hands, and I feel the unseen blood upon them. I knew not the man whom I struck down, in my terror for Lord Faramir's life. But though driven perforce by flame and madness, I am no less a murderer. Now my lord lingers in a dread twilight of the soul, and the minutes pass like ashes drifting. But here, someone kneels at my lord's side. Grey-cloaked and careworn, yet the Light of the West is in his eyes. Athelas, kingsfoil; he speaks his demands as a lord of men and my good lad flies on swift feet. I give death; I do not banish it, and so I sit and watch brave Faramir fade. Strange it is, to watch this man bend close, as if Faramir were brother or near kin. He calls to some far place that our mortal eyes do not see, and my heart sits as a stone in my breast. Hark, what is this? Bergil has returned with six dry leaves, and our strange healer takes them in his hand. Oh, what magic is this now? The very air I breathe is charged and changed. It is as if, through the open window, comes the air of the first Spring to break upon a world new-born. I dream of hay meadows and roses with my eyes wide open, and then my lord Faramir speaks. Beloved face! His grey eyes open, and kindled in them is perfect peace. "My lord," he whispers. "You called me. I come. What does the king command?" Bergil is beside me, crowded close against my side. Through my joyful tears I hear him: "Look Father: there is Hope after all!"
~*~

Seriously, happy birthday, Dwim. This is not the last thing you'll see from me today,as you seem to have a remarkable effect on exactly how creatively inspired I am. (Just how much blood are you giving at the witch-doctor?) Anemia will not keep me down! ;-) Yes, but I figured that, being undead and, by your very nature, a wraith there would be natural limits... Ah, I see that logic has its limits. ;-) *snork* For some reason, "Besides, Gelmir is staying" just strikes me as hysterical and very Bergil. Very much a child's reasoning in the end: first the well thought out excuses, then "But so-and-so's dad is letting him do it!" Lol. Very true, I think Bergil would give that excuse. Which is actually not that bad of one. If we're all going to die, it's at least good to do it with your friends. Of course, with a name like Gelmir, I would worry a little more were I Beregond (isn't Gelmir the Elf who got brutally vivisected at the Nirnaeth or some such other unpleasant death?) Behold the powers of an electronic copy of the Silm (it's searchable):
Then the Captain of Morgoth sent out riders with tokens of parley, and they rode up before the outworks of the Barad Eithel. With them they brought Gelmir son of Guilin, that lord of Nargothrond whom they had captured in the Bragollach; and they had blinded him. Then the heralds of Angband showed him forth, crying: "We have many more such at home, but you must make haste if you would find them; for we shall deal with them all when we return even so." And they hewed off Gelmir's hands and feet, and his head last, within sight of the Elves, and left him.
So, yes. But I actually just needed a Gondorian souning name and racked my brain for one of those Silm elves the Gondorians seemed to be so fond of naming their children after. I hadn't thought about Gelmir meeting a not-so-pleasant end. See, Dwim, you bring this angsty edge even to cute kiddy drabbles. You're good. Thanks, Marta! If you need any more nuzgûl, don't hesitate to ask... Dwim. My nuzgul notebook is almost full. I'm not getting a second one. You've taught me how to fling the blasted nuzgul, when do I learn how to avoid getting bitten myself? Marta

Nutterzoi wrote: Tenshi: I liked your drabble from Eärendil’s point of view. I don’t often think about how difficult it must have been for the parent to leave the child – I usually just pity poor Elrond and Elros. ;-) I also love the contrast between grasping for and release. Beautifully done. *Sighs* I guess my drabbling still needs some work. Thanks for the kind comments, Nutterzoi, & I'm glad I was able to do something for your birthday. It was actually supposed to be Maglor, setting the twins free and getting ready to go claim the Silmaril. You said adopted family was okay, so instead of writing on someone Elrond adopted, I wrote on the person who adopted him. Looking at it from Eärendil's POV tho does make for an interesting reinterpretation, and it does work in a different sort of way. Eärendil left his family behind to pursue a quest that would ultimately prove to be the salvation of Middle-Earth, while Maglor knew in his heart that his errand would be folly from start to finish, and I like to think that the affection he developed for the twins was part of what showed him how futile his pursuit of the Silmarils was. I showed it to Bow and she guessed Maglor right away so I thought it would be fine. Sorry! Did everyone everyone else think it was Eärendil? *hurries off back to the drawing board*

Glad you liked it, nutterzoi. Nic

Ooh, interesting choice of subjects For some reason that bit in "The Battle of the Fords of Isen" (UT) where Elfhelm rides to the Fords has always stuck in my mind: "It was the turn of the Isengarders to be surprised. They heard the thunder of hooves, and saw coming like black shadows against the darkening East a great host (as it seemed) with Elfhelm at its head, and beside him a white standard borne as a guide to those that followed. Few stood their ground." The flag matches the bearer's function, but this time, it guides the Steward himself home to peace, not to war. Yes, thanks to Beregond Glad you enjoyed it and hope you had a great day. Andria P.S. I know I'm being a terrible lurker at the moment and not commenting very much but all the drabbles are wonderful and I'm really enjoying reading them.

(Phew, that's May sorted at last. But I see those evil June babies seem to all want Legolas....) We wants him, we needs him and you will give him to us precioussssss yes? (Now if I can just get the evil nuzgul out of my head that Marta placed there... argghhhhhhhh. ) ~Lady Aranel~

Re: May 2004 babies

content deleted by poster

Re: Happy Birthday Gronyats

This was excellent summing up Imrahil's life in a few quick strokes. The contrasts between white and dark is marvelous as is the contrast between summer and winter. RiverOtter

I'm having a little problem at the moment with drabbles that keep overflowing - so instead of a drabble about Imrahil you wound up with a story. It also contains a fair bit of Boromir and Faramir - and wallow. ;-) Dark Dreams Happy birthday! Avon (Too scared to contemplate the next four drabbles I want to write in case they also turn into stories - and I'm usuallu so imune to nuzguls!)

Happy belated birthday, Dwim!

Wooo hooo! I managed to beat this one into a double drabble! ;-) Waiting Through cold lips, he smiled at his son as the guards watched them both. “Come now, you are too old for tears. Your uncle Iorlas is a good man and will take care of you now.” Beregond swallowed his own tears as he watched his son scrub his eyes. Such a thin sharp-boned face it was. His heart ached at the thought of leaving them both – this precious boy of his and the brother who, little more than a great lad himself, must now stand as father to him. “The king awaits you.” Beregond looked past the captain to where Iorlas waited, white-faced and grim; no trace now of the light-hearted soldier. “Look after him for me, lad.” He felt Bergil press shiveringly against him. Swiftly he clasped his shoulders and pressed a kiss to his forehead. “Remember – we are soldiers of the third company. You must pay attention to your lessons and do your best to help your uncle and be as brave as you were during the war.” As the captain put a hand on his shoulder and gruffly ordered him to come, Beregond pushed his son gently towards his brother. “Do not let him watch, Iorlas.” “Come.” ***************** Avon

Re: Happy belated birthday, Dwim!

Ooh, very nice, Avon! right down there on the edge, where practical considerations have to outweight any hope of clemency. It's like watching Beregond make his last will out before the execution. Happily, we know those measures won't be needed yet. Good to see Iorlas, and to see Beregond's interesting comparison of his son and brother—both too young to stand alone, both forced to a position of authority and maturity before they were ready. And I really like the appeal to Bergil's "veteran" status: “Remember – we are soldiers of the third company. You must pay attention to your lessons and do your best to help your uncle and be as brave as you were during the war.” Good job, Beregond! And great job, Avon. Thank you very much for a lovely card.

Marvelous indeed. This is a fine glimpse of Boromir and Faramir in Dol Amroth. The comfort Imrahil offers his nephews, as he thinks of his sister and how Denethor acts, shows a loving father and a man who understands how to relieve Faramir's fears. RiverOtter

Points of Balance

Very fine indeed. This is an excellent reminder that it is the little things that forge a friendship. The glimpse of life in Minas Tirith after the War is well done - fierce men of Khand, ambassadors from Rhun, who could barely countenance chairs, but preferred sitting on the floor whilst conducting negotiations, and unlettered chieftains of the hill folk, whose retainers ran no small havoc through the taverns of the first circle. - especially with the contrast of the dignified men of Harad. The last paragraph is good capturing life in a few sentences especially the final lines - And neither man knew when the other passed from the circles of the world, nor did their sons or daughters.- poignant ending but good. RiverOtter

Thank you, RiverOtter - it almost could have been a birthday pressie for you too but that it is set a bit early. I'm pleased you liked it though. Avon

I already apologised to both Gronyats and Starlight on list, but I will apologise here as well. I'm very sorry that I forgot to mention your birthdays onlist. I hope they were enjoyable. -Marta

Re: Happy Birthday, Starlight!

I would love a drabble about cultural exchanges. How people in Middle-earth deal with each other's differences as neighbors, friends, fellow-fellowship members... :-) and how they go about working to get over those differences (if they do). It could be a first meeting or any sort of encounter between people of different cultures. Your drabble grew - so it can be found at Tree and Stone Avon

umm... my drabble grew as well. But into a double drabble. Happy birthday, Starlight! Night and Day ***** "Master Gimli!" I turned and saw the newly crowned king crossing the hall. "Éomer King," I said, bowing so low my beard brushed the floor. "At your service." "Aye, as you always have been." But the king's expression was deadly serious. I straightened myself and looked at him questioningly. "I must beg your service once more. Have you your axe?" " No. Should I send for it?" Éomer sighed, but I caught the glint in his eye. "Perhaps. Harsh words still separate us." He spoke of the lady Galadriel: first of my lady's perilous beauty, then the wisdom of her eyes and her resplendent hair, more precious to me than mithril. "And if I had but met her in different company, I would feel as you do, I am sure." His eyes trailed to the queen Arwen, and my blood boiled. Aye, the queen was lovely, but she was no match for my lady. "Should I send for my sword?" Would these fair ladies bring us to blows, then? I mastered the legendary temper of my kind, and saw beyond his words: the love we bestowed was not so different. "Nay. You chose the Evening; my love belongs to the Morning."

Tree and Stone

Very fine capturing the exchange between a dwaf and an elf. The undestanding between them is crisp and clear as is Bolin's understanding of the determination of the elf to help him. Nice bit as the elf carves. RiverOtter

Re: Tree and Stone

Gosh, thanks, RiverOtter. Thank you very much for the feedback, I'm pleased you liked it. Avon

Marta - I loved that debate over the elven women. It's a slightly belated birthday present for Starlight. I tried a cultural exhange but couldn't get anywhere, so I went for the get-out clause so you have Elrond during a reasonably-pivotal moment in his life. I think I'm running out of angsty moments though! Begin Again The day was warm and there was a breeze to speed the travellers on their way - a perfect day for sailing. Would that this was only a trip. Elrond stood on the shore, his hair blowing in his face. He did not notice because he was watching the ships as they moved further away. As his brother moved further away from him. He knew not whether he would see Elros again. It did not matter though - his brother had eagerly anticipated this day, looking forward to his new life. Now it was time for Elrond to begin his. Nic

A very happy belated birthday, Starlight! A double drabble. Boromir, of course.... (and with a little tribute to your watercolor that I love so much). Mirrors of the Soul He looked down one last time upon his brother’s face. How he knew it was the last time he could not tell. He was not a visionary, like his brother. He had the practical intellect of a soldier. Yet he knew in his heart that he would never return to the White City, never look into Faramir’s eyes again. Before him he saw only darkness and death. So he looked down for one long moment, hoping to draw strength from his brother’s eyes, alight with tears. Faramir’s eyes had always held his soul in them for all the world to see. From the moment Boromir had peered over the edge of the baby’s cradle and seen those eyes, he had loved Faramir with a fierce, protective passion. He remembered the day they had made paper boats to send off into the current of the Anduin, to freedom and adventures they had both longed to share. How Faramir's eyes had shone with delight. He remembered Faramir’s eyes the day their mother died. It was the same raw pain, the same desolation he saw now. He bent down a fraction toward his brother, wanting to say some word of hope, something to erase the pain in those eyes. The words died in his throat. He saw, reflected in his brother’s eyes, the same vision of darkness and death that had come to him. He tore his eyes from that mirror and, turning his horse away, left the White City forever.

Mirrors of the Soul

Poignant as Boromir realizes he will never see Faramir again. The glimpses of the past are excellent as is Boromir's seeing 'the same vision of darkness and death' mirrored in Faramir's eyes. Reminds me of the line that the eyes are the mirror of the soul, a line echoed in your fine title. RiverOtter

Flick - Mirrors of the Soul

*wipes tears off keyboard* Thanks! Avon

That's so beautiful, and sad. Poor little Faramir! Nic

RiverOtter wrote: The glimpses of the past are excellent as is Boromir's seeing 'the same vision of darkness and death' mirrored in Faramir's eyes. Reminds me of the line that the eyes are the mirror of the soul, a line echoed in your fine title. Thanks so much! That moment in the extended TT DVD really gets me – both Bean and Wenham have extraordinarily expressive eyes! Avon wrote: *wipes tears off keyboard* Thanks! You’re welcome – and thank you again for “Remembering Boromir.” :happy sigh: Nic wrote: That's so beautiful, and sad. Poor little Faramir! Thanks, Nic. And I’m afraid I do think of him as ‘poor little Faramir’, no matter how old and heroic he is. (yeah, I know, fileg would kill me…) flick

A (very belated) birthday drabble for Dwim

The White City Child of the sea strand, Beregond had not seen the beauty of Minas Tirith's cold white stone until Aerlinnel's eyes reflected it back to him. "Teach Bergil to love my city," she asked on her deathbed, and he has tried. Now, as Beregond looks at her son – his thin face so much like hers – he realizes he has succeeded all too well. Bergil will not leave the city, and with his mother dead there is no lever to persuade him. "Then stay, and do what you can for her," he says at last, and hopes she will forgive his weakness. * * * Sorry this is so late, Dwim, but happy birthday! Beregond & Bergil weren't speaking to me until I discovered the woman they shared. It's a bit of a rush job - I am leaving town tomorrow and wanted to post this first. It will probably be tweaked next week after I get back.

Hello everyone I'm so glad to be back (sort of.) RL seems to keep preventing me from enjoying myself in Henneth-Annun! Hopefully sometime I'll be able to catch up with all the wonderful drabbles and discussion. Thank you so much for my birthday drabbles! They were all great, and certainly brightened up my day. You did such interesting things with my request. I am very impressed and hope to see some of those turned into longer stories (No, I'm not greedy... it's just that they were so, so good!) Thank you so very much Starlight

Addendum: Since this forum is no longer as active, I have been trying to e-mail each of you. Thanks again!

Belated present for Nic

Here it is, Nic. So sorry about being so late, though. Hope you enjoy it! Youth The boy is young. What foolishness, calling him a boy! He’s a full man, yet but a child compared to this world we inhabit. He regards everything with devouring eagerness- including myself. Does he find me intriguing? Perhaps. He must have heard of me, being a scholar. The Steward meets my gaze and I smile. He smiles back, and it reminds me of myself: curious, mischievous, gentle, eager, anxious- at the same time all, and none. Oh, I was young once! He approaches, shy but determined. I realize I know him. I was young once; I had a brother, too.

Re: Belated present for Nic

Oh Starlight, that's wonderful, all the more so for being unexpected. Thank you! Nic

Starlight not intended for me, but I thought it was lovely. Did you realise I had written Nic a birthday drabble that covered the same scene from the other side (ie Faramir's point of view)? Hmm, I am very tempted to ask you if you want to participate in the tag team challenge to write that conversation (as I already promised it to Nic), but I'm not sure either of us have the time! Cheers, Liz

Nic wrote: Oh Starlight, that's wonderful, all the more so for being unexpected. Thank you! I'm so pleased that you liked it! I must confess it was hard to restrict that to just 100 words (there was so much more Elrond wanted to say-but he listened to me and kept quiet) I'm really glad you liked it. Hope this year is a great one. Take care, Starlight

Liz wrote: not intended for me, but I thought it was lovely. Oh, thank you! Hmm, I am very tempted to ask you if you want to participate in the tag team challenge to write that conversation I would *love* to! What do you say? Take care, Starlight who is supposed to be writing her original tag-team challenge entry -plus other drabbles- but loves to start new writing projects

Belated present for RiverOtter

Hello, RiverOtter, Sorry about making this such a belated present, but I hope you enjoy it. Happy *belated* Birthday, and hope this year is wonderful for you and your loved ones. Here it is, Dol Amroth in the 4th age... Resemblance Quietness fled this house now that my four children are back- with their children. Socks, books, laughter, peace are all around. I sit, pretending to work, when I notice bright grey eyes staring over the desk’s rim. Elfwine has my same mischievous glint, nose, chin, ears. But the hair and the shoulder girth are his Father’s, as are most of his smiles. He’s so charming and smart. Did he get that from me, or Eomer? I know what he wants. Without even awaiting my response he climbs up, snuggling against me. I begin my tale of Corsairs, Kings… and Princes.

Starlight wrote: I would *love* to! What do you say? Yes, please! Hmm, this is now the third tag-team challenge story I am involved in.... Cheers, Liz

Yay! I was going to say that Avon had sort of done that conversation but don't let me stop you... Nic

Re: Belated present for RiverOtter

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is perfect showing the blend of Gondor and Rohan in Elfwine. It is marvelous to see Imrahil enjoying his grandchildren and telling Elfwine about Corsairs, Kings and Princes. RiverOtter

Re: Belated present for RiverOtter

RiverOtter wrote: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm so happy that you liked it! Thanks to you for providing the inspiration for writing (you must know I had an awful case of writer's block ) Thanks again, and hope this year is great. Cheers, Starlight

Belated present for Flick

Oh, Flick, I'm so sorry I missed your birthday. I hope it was a good one! Happy belated birthday! And here it is, for Flick's muse: Remembering Boromir. (I borrowed Morwen from Altariel's story line. Since reading 'A Game of Chess' I have not been able to think about another set of children for Faramir and Eowyn!) Brothers ‘Do not go in there, Wen,’ Elboron says, walking away from his father’s study. ‘Why?’ ‘Today must be that day. He is silent, and sad.’ ‘Oh,’ Morwen whispers, understanding. ‘Uncle Boromir.’ Through the half-closed door, she sees her papa staring at the world outside, clutching the horn tightly. ‘Poor papa… What happened to Uncle Boromir?’ ‘You know it, silly; he died, during the war. Father loved him very much.’ ‘We all love papa, too. Let’s tell him!’ ‘Father knows that, but today he misses Boromir.’ ‘Will he always miss Boromir?’ Bron holds Morwen’s hand, ‘Always. That is what brothers do.’

Belated present for Nol

Nol asked for the Nirnaeth, or women in the Silmarillion. I tried so hard with the Nirnaeth, Nol, but nothing happened... Here is a woman, though. Hope you enjoy, and Happy Belated Birthday! Seeking Hope ‘The White banners go to war. Will you not give aid?’ Her hair stirred by the wind, her features stiffened while she awaited their response. Silence. ‘For that end have we come, forsaking home and kindred.’ Here, her voice faltered and her eyes watered, perhaps in remembrance of some sweet memory of small arms wrapped around her, soft lips kissing her brow. Then a sudden change and she looked as queenly as the sun. ‘I am Elwing, daughter of Dior Eluchíl. Will you aid my people?’ Silence- then the stirring of mariners going forth to sea. Oh, there was hope!

Belated present for Nutterzoi

Happy Belated Birthday, Nutterzoi! Nutterzoi asked for Elrond and a family member. It was tough, given the great drabbles that were produced by this request. I tried to conjure up something with Celebrian (and this is my first Celebrian anything!) Hope you enjoy. Under the Mallorn They stroll under the golden leaves, like so many have done before, like many will do hereafter, but this time is different. Never again will it be like this. They stroll under the golden leaves, their hands entwined, though their thoughts drift as far apart as day and night. ‘Do you think he will approve?’ he asks, tightening his hold. ‘Silver, I think it should be silver,’ she replies, running her hand over a tree’s bark. ‘He could not refuse. Would not, I mean.’ ‘Silver, with traces of gold.’ He frowns, then smiles. She laughs, and so they go on.

Re: Belated present for Nutterzoi

Hi Starlight! Good to see you back and in ficcing form. Just a reminder: do upload these latest drabbles to the May chapter of HA Writers. Thanks!

Re: Belated present for Flick

Oh, Flick, I'm so sorry I missed your birthday. I hope it was a good one! Thanks! It was great, and (with this) it continues to be. We always celebrate a 'birth month" in our house, anyhow, and I'm happy to continue it indefinitely. So good to see you around. ‘Always. That is what brothers do.’ :wrings out hankie: ahem.... This was gentle and lovely. Thank you so much!

Belated present for Dwim

Happy belated birthday, Dearest Dwim! Here you go: Bergil, Beregond, and the ever absent "she." Lost At last he is home… and he sees them upon walking in, both lost in each other’s eyes. For a moment Beregond hesitates: dare he disturb them? Too late, for they’ve already turned. She meets his gaze with love; he with… fear? So he rushes to him, forgetting even her kiss, but the babe cries. ‘Love,’ she whispers, ‘it’s the helm…’ ‘Oh.’ Quickly he takes it off and at once Bergil smiles-nay, laughs. How can such a little being bring this happiness to a man’s heart? ‘I have much to tell you, son,’ he begins, and now he is lost.

Another belated present for Dwim

Happy birthday, Dwim. Sorry it's so late. In the Pale Moonlight The moon hung vast and silent in the sky. Bergil watched it, and drew no comfort. Tilion, his childhood tales had called it, but who knew what name it bore in this strange and hostile land? They cursed the moon in Harad, pleaded with it - but none at Khera had told its tale. The night and the desert were silent. Bergil watched and did not sleep. And as he stared at the mute moon, besieged by strange stars, he prayed: All the Powers that guard and guide this Middle-earth, I beg you - keep safe Nharadh! Keep him free!

Re: Another belated present for Dwim

Re: In the Pale Moonlight Thank you, Una! Wow, I'm very honored that "Dynasty" proved to be an inspiration for this. I quite liked this. Although... [is suspicious] this would not be an effort to influence what I work on, would it? ;D Many thanks.

Thank you, Una! Wow, I'm very honored that "Dynasty" proved to be an inspiration for this. I quite liked this. Although... [is suspicious] this would not be an effort to influence what I work on, would it? It got the Isabeau Seal of Approval, I can tell you that....

It got the Isabeau Seal of Approval, I can tell you that.... Why does this not surprise me? *makes note to find a killer nuzgûl for both of you* Don't you have a WiP or three to work on....?

*makes note to find a killer nuzgûl for both of you* You haven't learned your lesson about that yet? Don't you have a WiP or three to work on....? I'm writing! I'm writing lots, just ask Una. I'm just writing a story that's not a WIP because I'm not going to put it up until it's done, and not a WIP anymore. Which it nearly is. Done, that is. So I am holding to my resolution not to create any more WIPs. And don't YOU have a WIP or three to work on as well?

Glad you like it, Dwim - hope it doesn't contradict anything you had in mind. Reading through again, the moonlight seemed to figure a lot in the Bergil and Nharadh chapters. Or it could just be because I was woken up by the moon a couple of nights ago. Although... [is suspicious] this would not be an effort to influence what I work on, would it? Hm, there isn't a smiley with a halo... This will have to do instead

*makes note to find a killer nuzgûl for both of you* My mother dipped me in the Styx. I'm completely WIP resistant.

I'm writing! I'm writing lots, just ask Una. I'm just writing a story that's not a WIP because I'm not going to put it up until it's done, and not a WIP anymore. Which it nearly is. Done, that is. It's true, she's slaving away. So I am holding to my resolution not to create any more WIPs. WIP-wipe.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum