Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: August 2004 Birthdays - 1

August 2004 Birthdays - 1

Welcome to August, birthday girls and boys! Make your birthday card requests here.

(Some date corrections made.)

August 4—Anglachel: Ang will be 40... Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers.

Anything involving Denethor doing something unexpected. Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. If you can put them all together, I will stand in permanent awe of your talents.

August 13—Elvenesse: I'd love a drabble about the ending of the world. Or if that's not inspiring, I'd like a coming of age drabble, since I'll finally be able to legally read the stuff I've been reading for the last four or five years.

August 15—powzie: My keyword is "Ranger." I would also love anyone from my triad: Hama, Hirgon or Halbarad (or any of the other heroes from the long list of those who had an unlucky "H" name.)

New August 19—Eruwestial: I'd love anything with Legolas and Gimli. Slash preferred, but friendship is fine. THANKS so much!

New August 23—Uineniel: I'd love to see anything about Aragorn telling someone else a story. If that isn't inspiring, how about a character turning 13 (as I will too).

August 30—Kristi: I would like anything with Eowyn and Faramir in it. You name the time period, General or Mature audience.

Re: August 2004 Babies

I would like anything with Eowyn and Faramir in it. You name the time period, General or Mature audience. August 30 - Kristi

Kristi, I'm sure we can find some people around here who would write Éowyn and Faramir. Do we have a date for your birthday?

My birthday is on the 13th. I'd love a drabble about the ending of the world. Or if that's not inspiring, I'd like a coming of age drabble, since I'll finally be able to legally read the stuff I've been reading for the last four or five years.

Hello Elvenesse: I don't know you, but your request tickled my fancy so here's a present. I'm not sure if the content is actually mature or not, but don't want to be accused of corrupting the young (in my line of work that would put me out of a job). So I hope you enjoy this! ****** He knew Boromir kept a book hidden under his mattress, and had even stolen a glimpse at it once, but what he saw was so bizarre, so incomprehensible, he hid it quickly, and went to review the history of Gondolin until the images were out of his mind. Now thirteen, much closer to being a man, he looked for the book again. When Boromir found him with his hand stuck under the mattress he laughed ‘til he cried. That old book? Oh, I gave it away. I have a much better one now. Shall I show you? So they looked at the book together, and what he did not understand, Boromir tried to explain. Much of it was still strange, but this time, he kept the images in his mind, to ponder later at his leisure. ***** Ann

Thank you Ann! I like the idea of Faramir seeing Boromir's book and then running for his books of lore. I hope he put what he learned to good use.

He was a nerdy little kid, even then, wasn't he? Good thing he had a handy big brother to explain all these things to him. Ann

My birthday is the 15th. My keyword is "Ranger." I would also love anyone from my triad: Hama, Hirgon or Halbarad (or any of the other heroes from the long list of those who had an unlucky "H" name.) --fileg

Ang will be 40 on Wednesday, the 4th. Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers. Anything involving Denethor doing something unexpected. Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. If you can put them all together, I will stand in permanent awe of your talents. Toodles - Ang

Ang will be 40 on Wednesday, the 4th. Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers. Anything involving Denethor doing something unexpected. Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. If you can put them all together, I will stand in permanent awe of your talents. Weeeeeeeeeeeell .......... Permanent awe not necessary, since I've no idea if this really fulfills the criteria. But it does have 4, and a dragon, and Denethor behaving unlike I'm used to seeing him. Anyhow, a wonderful, happy, blessed day to you! cheers ~ Erin ~*~ DRAGON WISDOM ~ For Anglachel Four steps down, turn left. He always knows where to find his wayward son. Scents of leather, paper enfold him as he moves between the shelves. In a window's light, a boy's head rises at his step. "Hello, Father." "Faramir. What do you read, my son?" "Of dragons, lord." He lifts his book, eyes somber. "I think the danger of power may be when it becomes a weapon, not a shield." "Oh?" "Yes. A weapon may defend, but a shield preserves. Are we not the shield of Gondor?" His answer is to swiftly bend, and kiss his son's dark head. ~*~

DRAGON WISDOM ~ For Anglachel Four steps down, turn left. He always knows where to find his wayward son. Scents of leather, paper enfold him as he moves between the shelves. In a window's light, a boy's head rises at his step. "Hello, Father." "Faramir. What do you read, my son?" "Of dragons, lord." He lifts his book, eyes somber. "I think the danger of power may be when it becomes a weapon, not a shield." "Oh?" "Yes. A weapon may defend, but a shield preserves. Are we not the shield of Gondor?" His answer is to swiftly bend, and kiss his son's dark head. ~*~ Squueeeeee! Ang is a happy dragon, yes indeed.

Unfortunately, I don't think Ang meant Denethor son of Lenwe, the Nandorin Elf who died in the First Battle of Beleriand... Therefore, beware! For I don't usually write Men. But this is one challenge that bit (and fortunately, Erin's drabble gave me an idea). *~*~*~*~*~*~* "Third try is a charm!" Ecthelion clenched his smirk into an approving purse. "Thank you, lord," was Denethor's bland reply, who had thought the door barred. Attention in earnest upon the newest (leastwise, but still embarrassing) sketch, Ecthelion narrated, "Earendil upon Vingilot, slaying... who was it, Angla--?" "Ancalagon." Denethor shifted that parchment, hiding two underneath. His foot moved also. "Yes. Smart lad." Patience ebbing, Denethor smoothed ruffled hair, and returned his father's farewell. Once the hall went good and quiet, he retrieved from under the desk his first drawing, compared it to the fourth, shuddered, and traded pencil for book. *~*~*~*~*~*~* Happy (early) Birthday -AE, the drabble impaired

Unfortunately, I don't think Ang meant Denethor son of Lenwe, the Nandorin Elf who died in the First Battle of Beleriand... Therefore, beware! For I don't usually write Men. But this is one challenge that bit (and fortunately, Erin's drabble gave me an idea). Hey, I can be convinced! More dragons around back then, too. [Ang walks away, whistling innocently...] Thanks!

Ang asked for the number 4, Denethor doing something unexpected and a dragon. This involves a fourth, Denethor doing something many people might consider unexpected (although I personally don’t), and I managed to work in the dragons as well. It also includes several elements of my personal fanon, and some people may recognise it as a variant on a scene in my current Denethor WIP. (But it's surely very Tolkienesque to rewrite a scene in different forms? ) A different kind of dragon For six and forty years he was alone. Then fate smiled kindly and brought companionship. Sweet times, yet joy was not diminished when two years gifted a third. Now comes a fourth to add to his delight. “I will fight dragons for him,” his older son exclaims, recalling tales told while mother laboured and father waited anxiously. He waves the toy sword received for his last birthday – rarely out of his hand – in dangerous fashion. Finduilas laughs merrily. Denethor frowns, and holds his younger son more tightly. If only all the dragons we face could be despatched with a sword. Happy Birthday, Ang! Cheers, Liz

Ang will be 40 on Wednesday, the 4th. Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers. Anything involving Denethor doing something unexpected. Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. Here is birthday drabble #1 for Ang. I thought of several scenarios combining all three, but the connections were all rather tenuous, and the scenarios themselves seemed forced. And after all, three drabbles is better than one, right? So focusing on the number four, with just the slightest hint of dragons... "Four is Enough" ***** Fatty rested his hand on the brick of the tunnel and ducked his head, watching as they disappeared into the mist. Four pairs of feet plodding tiredly across grass still wet with dew. Soon to be gone forever. Should he make it five, he wondered? He could call out, tell them to wait for him. He could dash to the house, be back within the hour. He could share their road. What held him back? Bogey-stories of dragons and goblins? No. His heart beat quickly, but not from fear. Four was enough. He had his own path to tread.

Ang will be 40 on Wednesday, the 4th. Ang has managed to awaken my long-slumbering drabble muse. Ang gets a second drabble, and may receive yet a third... I have a drabble!nuzgul involving dragons affixed firmly to my ankle. Dragons, and... but if I say any more, that would be telling. Ang will have to wait patiently for the other part. An Unexpected Gift ***** Gandalf walked around the old horse, examining her. Running his hand down one leg, he sighed as he felt the bump on her knee. So you have been ridden hard. Taking a carrot from his pocket, he held it out invitingly. Her lips caressed Gandalf's palm; soon the carrot was devoured. She is a poor beast indeed. But still... He saw that some fire still burned in her eyes. Her spirit thrived, if her body faltered. And he was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Turning, he nodded at Denethor. "Thank you. 'Tis an unexpected gift, but welcome all the same." ***** [My thanks to Cheryl for helping me work out the horse bits, and to Liz for discussing with me whether or not Gandalf had a horse before Shadowfax.]

No Denethor: but forty, four, a dragon (twice), and lots of hobbits for the finest hobbit writer I know.
Many Happy Returns, Ang! There and Back Again "Lot Forty; four handsome dining chairs - " Consternation in the noontime crowd. The red-faced Mister Grubb breaks off, open-mouthed, as astonished murmurs follow an indignant hobbit elbowing his way through the throng. "Mister Bilbo!" an eager voice exclaims. "I knew you wasn't dead - " "Dead?" retorts the late arrival. "Been away, vanquished a dragon, and back to tell the tale! Sackville-Bagginses bought up all my silver at bargain prices, have they?" He snorts. "Remember, Hamfast my lad: it does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near one." He glances meaningfully at Lobelia, and winks. ******* "It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him" - JRRT, The Hobbit, Chapter 12 (Inside Information)

Kristi asked for I would like anything with Eowyn and Faramir in it. You name the time period, General or Mature audience. Thanks to Marta and Cheryl for helping me narrow it down and insisting another couple hijack it. But you know how happy couples like to spread their happiness... A good match “Are you quite sure about this?” Éomer cast an uncertain glance across the room at the grave young man talking to the King of Gondor. Yet Éowyn’s face glowed with more happiness than he had seen in years. Too many years. “Quite sure.” Éowyn patted his arm comfortingly. “It is a good match.” “I know that.” Éomer frowned. “But will you be happy?” His voice trailed off as a dark-haired young woman approached Steward and King. “Who is that?” he breathed. Éowyn laughed. “The noblest lady in Gondor, and soon to be my cousin. Would you like an introduction?” “Aye!” Happy Birthday for 30 August, Kristi Cheers, Liz

Ang will be 40 on Wednesday, the 4th. [...] Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. Your wish is my command. (And I do think I've met all of your requests, even if it took me 300 words instead of 100). Hope you like. Chasing and Burg'ling ***** "...That's what started all the mischief," the Gaffer rambled on, hands on his hips, "... chasing Black Men up mountains, though what for he don't make clear... Frodo grimaced and took a long pull on his tankard. Even after all his adventures, that tongue still withered his ears. "...Just like your uncle, burg'ling dragons..." Burgling... burgling dragons? Frodo wiped away snorted ale. But those words held truth. Bilbo had burgled dragons. A regular there-and-back-again adventure. And now... now Bilbo was safe. Free. "... and ruined my taters!" Frodo smiled at his neighbour, chuckling. "I shall do my best to make amends." ***** Marta

August 13—Elvenesse: I'd love a drabble about the ending of the world. Or if that's not inspiring, I'd like a coming of age drabble, since I'll finally be able to legally read the stuff I've been reading for the last four or five years. ********************* End of the world didn't talk to me, but , after much wrangling, I managed to make my drabble!muse talk to me again. Here is a coming of age for you. Cheryl ******* Destiny Imladris’ pure air fills his senses. All the same, yet everything changed in a mere hour. Isildur’s Heir… Chieftain of the Dunedain…. His hand settles on the hilt of the broken sword. His destiny lies before him like the many endless roads he walked. He need only step upon it to embrace his fate. Arnor… the old kingdom. His kingdom. He must know this land of his ancestors…his people. “You are going?” A quiet voice turns his head. “I must find my destiny, Adar. It is not here.” A warm hand settles on his shoulder. “Namarie, ion nin. Journey well.” ******* TA 2951: Elrond reveals to 'Estel' his true name and ancestry, and delivers to him the shards of Narsil. Appendix B: LOTR

August 4—Anglachel: Ang will be 40... Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers. ******* Wow...look what happens when you lob death threats at your drabble!muse. ;) Happy Birthday, Ang ******* Companions Laughter reaches my ears, so carefree facing what lies before us. A smile turns my mouth. I have not known beings such as them before and curiosity settles over me. Frodo, Ringbearer. His strength will be tested. The weight of his burden already shows on his face. Samwise, never far from Frodo. Loyalty is his strongest trait. Pippin, happiness undampened by the Shadow. His joy reminds us all why we are fighting. Merry, steadfast friend, a trait unexpected in one so young. Four small periannath sit before me, so similar but different too. Our Fellowship is better with their presence.

Re: August 2004 Babies - for Anglachel

August 4—Anglachel: Ang will be 40... Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers. Anything involving Denethor doing something unexpected. Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. If you can put them all together, I will stand in permanent awe of your talents. Well, I'm not sure if it's unexpected, but I see it taking place on Denethor's 40th birthday and I did work in a dragon. You get two for the price of one, becasue it's a double drabble. Happy 40th, Ang! Dragon of the North Carefully as I examined the seals they appeared untouched. The superlatives therein – skilled, wise, clever, friend - could have been from Thengel. But he is not enough for Gondor, this unknown not-Rohirrim who seeks a place at my father’s court. For courtesy, he will dine with us tonight, put last and least below the salt at my birthday feast. Tomorrow, father and I decided, he will go to Lebennin where they are not so choosy whom they hire. I stand beside father as he welcomes him and see myself in a distorted mirror - taller than most, dark hair, grey eyes. Father points to the star he wears pinned to his left breast. “Not a dragon for the north?” he chides the stranger. “No, my Lord Steward. Though I saw King Bard, who slew Smaug, once in my youth. This,” he touches the star, “was my father’s.” “Well, Denethor,” father turns to me with a smile on his face. “We will have new stories from our new captain. I’m sure you have a place for him in your guard.” “Thank you, sir.” He bows formally. “It has been my dream to serve Gondor.” My hands clench as they walk away together. Gwynnyd

happy birthday Ang. I am a little late, and I think I cheated with the dragon (I am a dragon, too.) Also, not a drabble, just a vignette. Tradition He sat at their regular table in the corner, wrapped in the comfortable smells of the burning fire, the sharp ale and close, warm bodies wrapped in wool. Four chairs, four pints. Everything was ready. He smiled as the door burst open and the moonlight gleamed off the green dragon hanging near the door. His friends tumbled into their chairs, laughing, calling his name and thumping his arms with glee. “Father of four,” they smiled, and “Another son for Samwise! Do you think he’s done?” “Ah, no,” Pippin said. “He got that earth The Lady gave him all over himself, and now he’s trying to repopulate the Shire.” Their laughter rang out clear and sweet, and then Merry rose and lifted his tankard. “First things first - we’ve come to wet the baby’s head.” He gestured forward with his pint, and the others rose and brought theirs up to meet him. “To…” He hesitated, and all eyes turned to Sam. “We’ve named him Kalimac.” Merry’s jaw dropped, and his eyes shone. “Fancy that!” “Get on with it,” Pip prodded, and their pints met with a pleasant clink. “To Kalimac Gardner! A long life, and merry!” Four chairs. Four pints. Three friends drank to good fortune. The fourth chair remained unoccupied, but never empty. --fileg

My birthday is the 23rd... I'd love to see anything about Aragorn telling someone else a story. If that isn't inspiring, how about a character turning 13 (as I will too)...

Happy Birthday, Ang! The number four, a dragon, and Denethor. “It is a tradition, Lord Thengel,” Denethor said, “Every eldest son of our house bears this horn: to the hunt, or to war, if need be. Your own horn is most unusual: the craftsmanship is ancient, I judge.” “You have a good eye. It too, is an heirloom: it came from the hoard of Scatha the Worm, slain by Fram my ancestor in the North, many years before my people came to dwell in the Mark. Four times I myself have worn it to war in the service of Gondor.” “Dragon treasure! Precious indeed,” Denethor said, with a smile that banished his gravity and reminded Thengel that this assured young man was only eighteen years of age. cheers, Maya

Happy Birthday Ang! My first drabble ever...all for you! Vistula === “Four…three…two…one…Ready or not, here I come!” The child was breathless, searching every nook with eager eyes. He dashed hither and yon, skirting tables – peering under benches, leaving no stone unturned. Giggling he rounded the great chair, not once but twice. As frustration turned childish glee to pouting tears, he spied it. A careless toe beneath the dragon tapestry. His quarry found at last. “Found you!” he cried, pulling the drape aside. Caught up in a father’s arms, he squealed in joy and planted kisses upon a well-loved face. And Denethor smiled down upon his youngest son and said: “Well played Faramir.”

Ang requested: Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers. Anything involving Denethor doing something unexpected. Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. If you can put them all together, I will stand in permanent awe of your talents. I hope this drabble works for you. Happy belated birthday fliewatuet ---------- An Unexpected Party The invitation he had not expected, Denethor's good spirits even less. "Captain Thorongil," Denethor motioned for him to take a seat, then did the same and raised his goblet in salute. "To four years of faithful service!" Thorongil returned the salute, then said, after some moments of contemplation. "Four years of faithful service are always honoured by a dinner with the Steward's son?" "Shrewd as ever, Thorongil. Four years of service and appraised by all, yet none know who you truly are." An eyebrow rose in question. Dragon-talk it will be then. Inclining his head, Thorongil accepted the challenge.

Oh my word - what a treasure trove! Thank you to everyone who has indulged my whims and given me a story. I like every one of them! And now I see that I shall have to provide stories in return. ;-) Toodles - Ang

Ang will be 40 on Wednesday, the 4th. Happy birthday Ang. Sorry it's late. Here is Denethor, a dragon and the number four - though I cheat with hyphens. * * * * * * Secret Fire There were to be fireworks! And this wizard knew their secrets! Though Denethor did not imagine he would share his tricks with him. "So, what will it be?" his grandfather's guest enquired. "Tall ships? Seven stars? Or perhaps … a dragon?" Now that was tempting! Yet dragons hoarded their gold and this was mettarë after all. Moreover, four-year-old eyes glimpsed a deeper magic about Mithrandir; something that somehow … sparked. So when he remembered the dead branches and sad fountain, his choice was made. "The White Tree in bloom," he declared. Mithrandir smiled. "Yes, I think that might be arranged," he said. * * * * * * Alawa

Whoops, wrong thread

I put Alawa's drabble here & then realized she was a July baby. Watch this space for a dragon drabble for Ang, coming soon.

For Ang

Happy birthday, from me and Smaug. - - - The Fourth Attempt Three times one of these feeble worms has tried to steal from him – he, Smaug, descendant of black Ancalagon! Now their bones lie scattered like the jewels they sought, and their blood leaves a pleasing stain on his treasures, the hue of red gold. More of them are about now; he can smell the sneak-thieves' nervous stink. Dwarves, and something else he cannot place – not sickly elf, nor rancid man. Whatever it is, here it comes now, pattering down the "secret" way. Smaug's tongue flickers in anticipation of tender meat. Come along, thief number four. I am ready for you.

For Ang

For Ang: Dragon, Denethor and 4… No awe needed, this was kind of fun! News from the North “Father!” Denethor burst into the citadel, thrusting leaves of parchment at a frowning Steward. “Read the news the messenger has brought from Lake-Town!” Ecthelion shuffled through the four pages of the message, skimming the words and mumbling quietly to himself. Suddenly he broke into a wide smile. “This indeed is good news!” He handed the letter back to Denethor. “That old worm was interfering with our shipments of Dorwinion from the north.” “Shall we have a celebration, then?” Denethor’s smile rivaled that of any young boy faced with the prospect of a party. Ecthelion ruffled his son’s hair. “Most certainly.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By what I can tell, Denethor would have been about 11 when Smaug was defeated.

For Kristi

I'm not going to say I'm getting better at drabbles - I'm not sure if that's true - but they're certainly becoming easier to write. Here you go, Kristi – Éowyn and Faramir (with a little Éomer for good measure). Consent “You are sure he will not be angry? I have seen the man in battle and do not wish to provoke him.” Éowyn’s laughter dispelled some of Faramir’s apprehension. “Do not worry. He will be pleased.” She turned to smile at her brother as he approached, but he went straight for Faramir. “Is it true that you mean to wed my sister?” Seeing the steel in the other man’s eyes, Faramir could only nod. He was so startled when Éomer vigorously grasped his shoulder that he almost missed the slight smile that had appeared on Éomer’s face. “Then it would be fitting for me to call you brother.”

For Uineniel

For Uineniel – Aragorn telling his new bride a story from his travels with the Fellowship. Warning: MovieVerse Of Dwarves and Men “You did what?” Aragorn chuckled at Arwen’s startled outburst. “I tossed him. He asked me to and I did.” He shook his head, thinking back to the moment in question, glad that he could now laugh about it despite the circumstances surrounding it. “He would not have made it otherwise.” Arwen face remained neutral, but Aragorn could see her eyes dancing. “I’m sure his pride was injured, nonetheless.” “It was. In fact, do you know what he said as I reached for him?” Aragorn’s eyes twinkled as Arwen shook her head. “‘Don’t tell the elf.’” Arwen’s only response was laughter.

Hello Elvenesse! Happy early Birthday! A coming of age drabble for you :-) Cheers! Vistula ==== “Come ion-nìn, we have much to discuss.” “My Lord?” “Today you are twenty, Estel; a time for coming of age among men. Today the telling of your story will change the course of your future.” At length Elrond spoke of heritage and duty, the details slow, unrushed. Then gifted with the trappings of his destiny, the young man was left for a time to ponder - alone. Girding on a new name and the shards of a broken sword, he surrendered hope with a look of grim determination. It wasn’t the end of the world, but it certainly seemed like it.

Happy Early Birthday Fileg! Managed the Ranger part, but no "H" name unless you include "hope." "Hope" you enjoy! Cheers! Vistula === He sings, and the stars weep for his story of destiny unavoidable – the fate of a future king. No king he seems now, this Ranger, clothed in a life spent in the wild. No pillow comforts his uncrowned head; no fine linens wrap his road-worn body. Yet he is content. He wears the weight of his age and the ages of those who have come before him etched upon his troubled brow. Cousin Bilbo told me his childhood name was “Hope.” How fitting, for out of this ring of consuming darkness, he has given hope to me.

Re: For Uineniel

Hmm...let's see: Aragorn, Arwen, and my favourite line from the movies...yup, Uineniel is one happy little girl, all right. Thank you!

Re: For Uineniel

Happy Birthday Uineniel! Peace Talks Elboron, handsome in his first Court dress, sat opposite the dark-eyed Haradric princess. The shy thirteen-year-olds had apparently discovered some means of communicating, for now they were laughing, eyes flashing, hands gesturing. “May we be excused, Father? It is a clear night, and we wish to compare the names of the stars, and their stories.” Hand in hand, they slipped out into the garden. The stars, and their stories. In years to come, their memories of a single starlit evening might build a bridge of story and song more powerful and enduring than any emissary’s words or gifts. Ann

Cheryl, sorry I've taken so long to reply - I've been on holiday. I really like young Estel stories (or in fact anything about Aragorn) and so having a drabble about that pivotal moment of his life is a lovely present.

Oh wow! Thank you Vistula, Estel-becoming-Aragorn drabbles are always welcome. And thanks for the end of the world reference.

I'm new here, so please forgive the lateness of my request. I'd love anything with Legolas and Gimli. Slash preferred, but friendship is fine. My birthday is the 19th. THANKS so much!

Happy Birthday, Elvenesse! "Our felicitations," said Elladan, smiling. "A joyous day indeed, that so fair a bloom was born to grace the Dúnedain." "You are very kind, Lord," Gilraen said. She smiled back at him, but instantly her gaze turned to his companion. "You have journeyed far, sirs, to favour us with your company! My father said that you were gone on an errand beyond the Ered Luin." "Not so far that I would miss your birth-day feast, Lady," Arathorn said, his stern face softening into such an unguarded look that Lord Dirhael, watching them from a distance, was startled. His eyes narrowed, he studied his daughter, whose fair face was turned up to the older man's like a flower drawn to the sun. "Ivorwen," he said quietly, "Have you marked..." "Many things, my husband. Spring after a hard winter, and the dawn of hope also, for our people," she replied, her grey eyes filled with mystery. And Dirhael was silenced, for he knew that Ivorwen was foresighted. cheers, Maya

My keyword is "Ranger." I would also love anyone from my triad: Hama, Hirgon or Halbarad (or any of the other heroes from the long list of those who had an unlucky "H" name.) Happy Birthday, fileg! ---------- "Lord Hirluin!" The Captain of the Rangers of Pinnath Gelin did not turn. He stood looking west across the verdant valley. The morning sun touched the grove-covered hills and turned them into dappled mysteries of shadow and light. "Númenor that was, Elvenhome that is, and that which lies beyond, now and forever." "Lord?" "I merely spoke a thought aloud. Is all ready?" "The men await you below, sir." The Captain turned and cast a long look around. "The green hills of home: I can imagine no place fairer to my eyes, even in the uttermost West. Will we ever see them again, I wonder?" he said softly, to himself, it seemed. Then he smiled at the young soldier. "Come, we must hasten. They will be looking for us from the walls of the White City." ---------- cheers, Maya

My keyword is "Ranger." I would also love anyone from my triad: Hama, Hirgon or Halbarad (or any of the other heroes from the long list of those who had an unlucky "H" name.) Happy Birthday fileg! Sorry about the extreme fluffiness * * * * * * Kindred 'Tis unseemly! Gilraen ignored their mutterings; her husband would understand. Arathorn might be Chieftain but he was a Ranger first and knew how to succour his own. The little one slept, content for the first time in days. With rest, the healer thought, her cousin would recover; enough to feed the babe again. Until that time Gilraen had plenty and to spare. She carried her guest over to the cradle. "Sorry, Halbarad," she whispered, "you'll have to share until another bed can be found." Happily the latest Heir of Isildur cared little about his dignity and went on sleeping undisturbed. * * * * * * Cheers Alawa

Cheryl, sorry I've taken so long to reply - I've been on holiday. I really like young Estel stories (or in fact anything about Aragorn) and so having a drabble about that pivotal moment of his life is a lovely present. You're very welcome! I'm glad you liked it! Cheryl

Hello and Happy early Birthday Eruwestial!! Hope your day is a great one. I'm not sure if this would truly be classed as "mature" but thought I'd err to caution. It does involve Gimli and Legola and Slash...as requested:-) Cheers! Vistula ==== Thigh presses thigh as flaxen hair mingles with copper strands. The dwarf’s strong arm circles a slender waist, pulling them together – perhaps too closely, holding much tighter than the mount’s speed warrants. The warm and hardened hand’s absent touch is a rough caress. The elf notices but he does not speak, does not lean away. The body’s press against his back has become a sweet comfort on their long journey. It is a reassuring presence, unbidden though welcome in the day – desired, but not pursued, under cloak of darkness. Yet, as stars bloom overhead his heart whispers, ‘Yes, perhaps tonight.’

For Elvenesse

Happy (Belated) Birthday to Elvenesse! Here's one about the End of the World (sort of ). Downfall That which has taken much time to raise up may fall in a mere instant. Towers and forts now lie beneath his shadow, mere trinkets at his feet. He laughs, rejoicing in his power as cities tumble before him with a resounding crash. He once had a hand in building up these sorry lands, but he knows now that destruction brings more pleasure. Then-- "Denethor! Look at this mess! I thought I told you not to leave your blocks all over the floor! Now come and wash up for supper." "Yes, Mama. Sorry!" The world's ending would have to wait. *** Cheers, Ali

Happy slightly belated birthday powzie. Of the three H's the only one I know who they are without looking them up is Halbarad. This is also for Uineniel, it sort of fulfils the Aragorn telling a story requirement, and it was my inspiration. Halbarad "Who was he?" Aragorn and Eldarion had spent many nights going looking at the list of names of those who had died fighting in the Ring War. As they went Aragorn described the actions of each of them: why they were heroes and how they came to die. He was confident their stories would inspire Eldarion, although Aragorn hoped his son would never have to face a war as desperate as the one he himself had. "What did he do?" Eldarion asked. Aragorn looked to where he pointed and saw the name written. He told him, "He was my friend." Nic

Ohh, that WAS a good one, Vistula. I always wondered how long they rode together before things 'warmed up' Thanks SO much. It's my very first birthday present this year!! Eruwestial aka Beth37000

Re: For Elvenesse

Aliana, this made me grin madly. It had such a Calvin & Hobbes feel: young, spiky-haired Denethor and his dreams of world domination :-) cheers, Maya

Aliana, this made me grin madly. It had such a Calvin & Hobbes feel: young, spiky-haired Denethor and his dreams of world domination :-) cheers, Maya ROFLMAO! I had the same sort of thoughts. Calvin the Tyrannosaur destroying his elementary school... *giggle* Cheryl

Thank you, Aliana. Sorry I didn’t reply earlier, I somehow managed to miss it. This seems typical of any little boy, and I really like the idea of Denethor doing that as a child.

A belated birthday drabble for Ang

August 4—Anglachel: Ang will be 40... Anything involving the number 4, given the above numbers. Anything involving Denethor doing something unexpected. Anything involving a dragon, as that is my zodiac sign. Hi Ang, I didn't know I had a dragon muse, until he tapped me on the shoulder this afternoon. Sorry for the belatedness -- dragons, like wizards, are notorious late-comers. - Barbara P.S. The event referred to is canon, but my dragon muse made up the date. A Long Tradition of Ancient Lore "Your tutor reports that you dislike History, my son. Why?" Faramir flushed. "It is dull!" He recited in a sing-song voice: "2002: Minas Ithil falls, 2043: Eärnur..." "True, but what happened in 2040?" A puzzled frown. "That is when Fram of the Éothéod slew Scatha the Worm." "A dragon?" Faramir gasped. "He slew a dragon? How? Where? Who was he? What does Éothéod mean? Why call it a worm?" "You will find your answers in this book about our valiant allies, the Rohirrim..." He stood to leave. "But, since you despise history..." "May I read it, Father? Please?" Denethor smiled. *** We in the house of Denethor know much ancient lore by long tradition... The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 4, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Maya, thank you so much. I loved this, could smell the deep woods and loved the moment of being there. The ranger grace, "Númenor that was, Elvenhome that is, and that which lies beyond, now and forever" always touches me, but the real life circumstances that we can home to made it even more poignant. I, too, cannot imagine that even the West could be as fair as the place we love. --fileg

oh, Alawa, how I love this. I can't imagine anyhting you could have done to establish the closeness I fell between them. And I just adore the image that it takes both the chieftain and his lady to properly succour the tribe. many, many thanks --fileg

Oh, Nic, you made me burst into tears. How well he learned that lesson of the sacrifice of his soldiers! I could hear the catch in his voice. I hope Eldarion never has to learn those lessons. --fileg

Re: A belated birthday drabble for Ang

Argh, I have to check forums more often! :-) Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is a wonderful picture of the two of them. I can just imagine Faramir suddenly realizing "Dragons? History has dragons?" and Denethor's sly smile. Toodles - Ang

I ought to check forums more often as well, because your feedback has made my day, Tay.

Re: A belated birthday drabble for Ang

Glad you enjoyed it, Ang! - Barbara P.S. One wonders whether the House of Denethor has a long history of tricking young boys into becoming interested in ancient lore... ;-D

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum