Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2004 Birthdays - 2

July 2004 Birthdays - 2

July 4—melian elven: in honor of my namesake, i'd love to read something with melian in it, especially her relationship with her daughter luthien. i've often wondered how she would've been as a mother to the most beautiful being on middle earth.

July 6—Vulgarweed: What's a "normal" "day" in the life like for Yavanna, or Tulkas, or Melian, or Olorin? Does Aule ever want to pitch his tools out the "window"? What about the Brothers M and the first and worst case of sibling rivalry EVAH? Or that weird trio of the waters?

Of course, Istari and Balrogs count. (And what is Tom Bombadil, anyway? Is he one? What about Ungoliant?)

Reverence and irreverence both welcome. And erotica, too (het or slash or both); bonus points for integration with matters theological.

Note: I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of the month and don't know how regular my internet access will be (probably not very), so late is especially OK and feedback may not be instantaneous and I apologize in advance for that.

July 12—Marta: I want something in some way involving a dwarf. There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. If you can include Bilbo, that's even better.

Failing that, I will be predictable. I also wouldn't say no to something involving pre-Ring War Denethor.

New July 18—Cheryl (litheslayer/Mirwen Amruniel): If I can... could it be about Legolas and I (as in my Elvish persona,
Mîrwen Amrúniel, as seen in my signature)? *sheepish grin*

July 21—Aramel: In Singapore, where I stayed for a time, July 21 was racial harmony day. Thus, I humbly ask for something about Legolas and Gimli and their friendship.

Or if that's a bit hard, an Éowyn fic would be highly appreciated too.

July 22—RubyGamgee: I request Samwise. If you can deliver him, I will be more than just glad. I will be a pleased person, a delighted daydreamer, a giddy girl and a very happy hobbit lover!

July 24—ErinRua: I would be ever so pleased if someone would drabble - not to be entirely predictable - Eomer and/or Faramir. Both of them together would be very especially wonderful, as I find them an interesting pair of brothers-in-law. You know you want to. No slash, please.

July 27—AfterEver: I've been feeling uncharacteristically romantic, and pondering the 'love at first sight' phenomenon in M-e. Happened to Thingol and Melian, Elrond and Celebrian, Aragorn and Arwen (well, first sight for him, more like the second for her), to name a few.

So, I'd humbly request drabbles depicting these beloved couples falling in love at first sight, if anyone is inclined. Eroticism is not required, but far be it for me to complain.

July 27—New—Alawa: I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad – or Aragorn and Denether – or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession

July 30—Sigil Galen: If anyone would take the time to write something featuring predominantly Eomer and Legolas, I'd just be PICKLED TINK! Failing that, something with Beleg (Cuthalion, that is) would be unutterably wonderful. Just the thought makes me happy

Re: July Babies, 2004--continued again

This is an all-in-one reply: ErinRua wrote: ROTFL! Poor Dwim! Well, if Eomer is eluding you, maybe Faramir's love of words would bring him to whisper to you, instead? This group has made me awful fond of our young steward Agree on the love thing - AE, I'll try, but this is gonna be a toughie! LOL! Cheers ~ Erin *who seems to be on a mission to write b-day drabbles this month!* Actually, Éomer has handed me a kernel. Problem is, it keeps wanting to unfold into something bigger than 100 words. Go figure. Give him an inch, he'll take a mile. And I fully support obsessive missions to write birthday drabbles. Go Erin! Alawa wrote: For Alawa, in an effort to satisfy her pyromania, Denethor-, Halbarad-, and Aragorn-obsessions. A very happy birthday to you! I fear I may be insatiable, but this is a valiant attempt. Hmm - I think you might know how to press my buttons – "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." And for Halbarad "There is no greater love than this, that a man lay down his live for his friend". I guess Aragorn could do nothing less than honour the death of his friend this way. I like the way the grief expressed is kind of grey and muted like the falling, floating ash – just right for members of the Grey Company - and the way you pan out to encompass all the Stewards, not just Denethor. Thanks so much, Dwim for my lovely present! You are insatiable, but that's ok. So am I. I would never have thought St. Paul would end up my touch-stone for so many fics and ficlets, and I fear I must surely do him an injustice, to return to that one passage when he's written so many others. But it fits so well, so I keep going back to it. I figured a little charity was due the stewards of M-e in exchange for everything they'd suffered, no matter how they ended. You're welcome for your drabble, and a happy birthday once more. fileg had a killer line in her drabble: Last of the old blood, we stared into the abyss, saw our truth, and held aloft our light - the flame of his beacon; my pyre. I so liked this! Gave me shivers. Finally, Wolfwind did a lovely drabble about Gimli and Legolas and language lessons. Well done, Wolfwind!

Re: For Alawa from fileg

fileg wrote: Alawa asked: I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad –– or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession You are likely the reason I ever wrote a second time – and you know I couldn’t resist a Halbarad request. A slightly different use of your requested symbols…. At The End Of The Tunnel It was not the door that kept men from entering the paths, but the wall. Ice, fear, darkness - they squeezed a mans heart at the thought of that first step, into the unknown. But we were no ordinary men. Bone and blood formed in north, we understood these things, and knew they could be faced. If any man could hold up a light for them to follow, the men of the north would not falter. Last of the old blood, we stared into the abyss, saw our truth, and held aloft our light - the flame of his beacon; my pyre. --fileg * * * * * * * * Ah fileg! – on my birthday two years ago, after bumping up against that cold dark wall for most of my life, I took that first step into the unknown and posted my first ficlet at HA – now I have to feel that it was significant it was about a birth. That was thanks to my wonderful on-line friends, and I can’t really say how humbling it feels that I might have supported you in a similar way. I love the northern landscape. I lived in Norway for a while and have visited Iceland a couple of times. I love the hardy way things endure under the snow waiting to burst back to life when those long summer days come round. So the northern Dunedain are my favourites with Halbarad at the top of the list (sometimes even higher than Aragorn – who belongs to the south as well.) In a way, I suppose, I see Halbarad as representing all those generations of Rangers. And of all those who are sacrificed to bring about the renewal, I think Halbarad is the most poignant because he sees clearly what must happen and goes willingly to meet it. As Dwim said, that last line is just spine-tingling. I seem to be blocked again at the moment - but reading this I'm sure there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks so much. Alawa

I absolutely envy your time in the north. I have driven fairly far up into Canada on a few occasions, and it always leaves me craving just a few more miles. I am so glad this worked for you. The string of words in your request put it suddenly into my head (as good poems do.) I have often said that after all these years, I am still learning something new from the canon all the time, and this was one of those places. In spite of all the thinking about Halbarad I have done, this suddenly solidified that picture for me. I am always caught up at this point in the text by the parallels of Merry and Pippin, swearing fealty for different reasons and finding different answers given. And I have written before of Halbarad going on in the face of what he knows. But using the symbol of the pyre for him made me really think about that fact that while Denethor is Gondor's steward, Halbarad is Aragorn's - and the difference in the ways they face what they believe is certain death, and how they go to meet their pyres became something bigger to me. I hope you had a good birthday, and happy writing anniversary as well! -- fileg (and now I have spotted a lost *the* in your drabble, and I must go back and fuss over the line...)

For RubyGamgee, a Sam drabble. Sorry it's late, but this moment just now came to me. Namesake Sam knelt by the bedside. Rosie, tired and glowing, smiled down at the red, wrinkled newborn nuzzling her breast. “Are you sure?” she asked. “It’s what we always planned to name a boy, but that was before…” Before a white sail disappeared into the sunset, never to return. Could he bear to keep that name alive? To hear and say it dozens of times each day? How much easier to let it fade into dear, dim memory. But what other name was there for his eldest son? He blinked back tears, but spoke with firm certainty. “His name is Frodo.” Elana

A belated birthday drabble for Alawa

July 27—New—Alawa: I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad – or Aragorn and Denether – or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession Suddenly, my Halbarad-muse became chatty. Happy belated birthday from a fellow Northern Dúnedain fancier fliewatuet Battle of Wills I can see your strength wane fast while I watch you staring into that fiery ball, hands clenched about Andúril's hilt. No blows are exchanged but a battle is raging, and there is nothing I can do, save stand by your side, hold your banner aloft and trust your strength and wisdom, like I have done so many times before. Then it is over, the flame is gone and all I can do is offer a shoulder in support. Yet I know you prevailed and will tell me in due time what you learnt, like you have always done.

Elana, Thank you! Belated or not, it is always great to receive a b'day present. And Samwise is the best one out there! Thank you again! RubyG

A belated happy birthday to Marta

Marta gave me special dispensation to write some post-Ring War Elrond, which, of course, I couldn't resist. Reunion The moment Elrond saw her he threw himself into her arms and held on tight. He reminded himself of her touch and her scent, but most of all that she was there and she was whole again. He never wanted to let go but had to pull back to better remember her kiss, finding his memory a pale comparison to reality. He fortified himself with the look in her eyes directed at him and knew he could deny it no longer and would had to face reality. Taking a deep breath he said, "I have to tell you about Arwen." Nic

A slightly less belated happy birthday to RubyGamgee

Here you have some Sam, as requested. Weeds Sam carefully gathered up the daisies and buttercups, being sure to pull the weeds out by their roots before cutting the flowers off. The little vase had stood empty for long enough and once again there would be colour in the kitchen of Bag End. When Sam had explained why they had to be dug out Mr Frodo had not understood. Eventually they had compromised and Sam had been allowed to tend the weeds as he wished, as long as he saved the flowers. Sam was glad he did for he agreed with Mr Frodo - they did look pretty. Nic

Happy Birthday, AfterEver

I've finally caught up! I didn't pick any of the couples you listed, but I hope you like this one anyway. Gilraen When he first saw her he knew at once he could never have her. Not only was she the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, she was also intelligent and caring. But she was young - too young. It did not matter anyway for he could not remember how to speak. He wanted to approach but he could not think of a single good thing to say. If he told her his thoughts they would scare her away. She must have seen him staring because she came over. "My lord, Arathorn." When she smiled he forgot how to breathe. Nic

I would never have thought St. Paul would end up my touch-stone for so many fics and ficlets, and I fear I must surely do him an injustice, to return to that one passage when he's written so many others. But it fits so well, so I keep going back to it. Probably because, IMO, it must have been a touch-stone for Tolkien as well Alawa

fileg wrote: I am so glad this worked for you. The string of words in your request put it suddenly into my head (as good poems do.) I'm so glad you got inspired. I have often said that after all these years, I am still learning something new from the canon all the time, and this was one of those places. In spite of all the thinking about Halbarad I have done, this suddenly solidified that picture for me. Pyre/Beacon Halbarad sneaked into a ficlet of mine about a year and a half ago - completely univited. I didn't realise what he had done until after I had finished the piece. I think that's one of the most wonderful things about writing - if a little spooky at times I am always caught up at this point in the text by the parallels of Merry and Pippin, swearing fealty for different reasons and finding different answers given. Yes that deliberate contrast between the two is rich food for thought. Thanks again for my precious present. Alawa

Re: A belated birthday drabble for Alawa

Suddenly, my Halbarad-muse became chatty. Happy belated birthday from a fellow Northern Dúnedain fancier Thanks so much fliewatuet! You know I've already said how much I love this on list Hmm - Nice, shiny, glowy Palantir Nuzgul ... Aragorn and the ethical limits of Fourth Age Palantir gazing ... where can I push it? ... I know ... DWIM! Definitely one for you I think I've been hoping for - well - ages, that it might crop up in Dynasty after you free You-Know-Who. Alawa

July 30—Sigil Galen: If anyone would take the time to write something featuring predominantly Eomer and Legolas, I'd just be PICKLED TINK! ARGH! I missed your birthday! I have had a drabble waiting for you for like a week - and then I forgot! Bad Erin, no cookie. Meanwhile, however, I hope you had a lovely, fun, blessed, happy birthday, and I hope you will enjoy my humble drabble. Just for you, Eomer and Legolas. Cheers ~ Erin ~*~ PARTNERSHIP ~ For Sigil Galen I watch with gentle envy panging my heart, for Men will never know such perfect union of horse and rider. Arod moves to no governance but the soft voice of an elf: their thoughts must whisper as one, I guess. Ah, Legolas has spied my notice. He speaks while stroking Arod's mane. "Have I thanked you, lord, for such a princely gift?" I smile into his bright elven eyes. "Your thanks is spoken with ax and bow," I reply. "Arod's former master would be honored." As I am honored to find such friends in these dark days of the sword. ~*~

No no, not bad Erin---wonderful, GLORIOUS Erin! This was a lovely moment between Eomer and Legolas, and I especially enjoyed the use of Arod as the conversation piece. Perfect, sweet, and my absolute favorite birthday gift!! You're a peach! Many many thanks, hugs, and cookies! Sigil Galen

Alawa's long-expected drabble

Posted after I returned from holidays, as promised. - - - Dark Memory The torch went out, and the thick warm darkness of Moria fell over them like a stifling blanket. Aragorn knew they could not build a fire while they rested, yet his spirit craved light. "How far do you reckon we are from the Dimrill Gate?" His whisper floated on the hot air. Halbarad's shrug was felt rather than seen. "The orcs know; I do not. Sleep now, and I shall take first watch." Sliding down the wall, Aragorn shifted his leg by silent degrees until it grazed Halbarad's knee. Anchored by that mute proof of companionship, he drifted into sleep.

Re: Alawa's long-expected drabble

Ooo! I just love that thank you. So atmospheric and evocative. It made me think of the phial of Galadriel -“a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out” – and the idea of companionship is such a strong one in Tolkien and you’ve done it all lovely and understated – just right for the characters. A great counterpart to the Paths of the Dead. Aragorn’s previous experiences in Moria must be a rich source of nuzguls for action writers. Thanks so much. Alawa

Re: Alawa's long-expected drabble

Glad you liked it! Aragorn’s previous experiences in Moria must be a rich source of nuzguls for action writers. Heh. I won't deny that trying to write Aragorn & Halbarad out of this situation has occurred to me... But it will have to wait, as I have several challenge deadlines creeping up.

Very Belated Birthday Drabble for Marta

Marta: so sorry my calendar is broken and this is so late. All the best, Marta, for many years to come! July 12?Marta: I want something in some way involving a dwarf. Beauty in the Light Clear blue draws the eye into depths unguessable. A white-hot flaming mass too bright to look upon lurks at the edge of vision, bringing heat and light into the dark, glowing until it fades to red and grey. Showers of stars throb and pulse rhythmically, scattering light wantonly across the dome above to illumine soft darkness. Water hisses and patters as it quenches the built up heat and brings forth strength and form. Aye, there is light here, too, and beauty my hands wrench from fallow ore. When your travels are over, Gimli son of Gloin, come back to me. Gwynnyd

This is a very belated birthday drabble for ErinRua - Faramir & Éomer, together. ~*~ Faith and Duty His avowal of first-sight love for his brother-king moved all. Can I in faith match such devotion? “Is it true, when first you met Elessar on Rohan’s plains, you came near challenging him?” I voice this challenge cautiously – a challenge first raised by another, one whose love we both own. “Twas my duty to my king,” comes his reply. “And what of you, who would have proofs demanded of Elendil’s heir?” Yet he bore witness, how this new-forged Steward had named his healer king – no proofs but what lay in the heart. I answer, “Twas my duty to my king.” ~*~ ~Nessime *with apologies for such tardiness

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum