Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2005 Birthdays - 1

July 2005 Birthdays - 1

Hey guys,

It's that time of the month again. With July just a few days away it's time to celebrate the births of those members born in this month.

Is your birthday in July? Would you like a drabble? Then post a request in this thread so other members can write you drabbles.

Birthday Drabble requesters - don't forget to add your story to the
HASA Birthday Cards workshop and enter it in the July Birthday Challenge

Birthday Drabble Writers - don't forget to add your drabbles to the recipient's story in the HASA Birthday Cards workshop

Instructions for Birthday Drabbling: complete and easy to follow instructions on the new system.

Marta

July 2 -- Tari how about something for her with Haldir and Legolas????

July 12 -- Marta I'm interested in moments between cultures where one considers itself more civilised than the other. What did the "less civilised" think of the "more civilised".

A good example is the Gondorians and the Rohirrim. Faramir describes the Rohirrim as "middle men", and strongly suggests that they're less civilised than Gondorians. So what did the Rohirrim think of the Gondorians?

Pick any such pair. Noldor/Sindar, Shire-hobbits/hobbits outside of the Shire, Elves/Dwarves, Bree-men/Dunedain Rangers (or the other way around on that one), Men/Orcs. And give me a glimpse of what the "other side" thought of the supposed superiors. Bonus points if you can bring Celeborn into it in some fashion.

July 18 -- Cheryl a drabble of Legolas and my 'alter-ego' would be really fantabulous, but one of Legolas and Estel, or just Legolas alone would be just as appreciated. A ..er..ahem.. naughty drabble would be GREAT. *sheepish grin*

July 24 -- ErinRua I would like to see any interaction between any Rohirrim, canon or oc, and any Dunedain. Be it one of the Grey Company at any point in their dealings with Theoden's host or some other encounter, I would like to see any interaction between Rohirrim and Dunedain. Perhaps when the Grey Company first met up with Aragorn, or on the Pelannor Fields or at the Black Gate, or after the war was done ... Or it could be a meeting of women, if no male muses speak up. Wherever your imagination places you!

July 25 -- Vilwarin My birthday is on July 25th. I love the northern Rangers (especially Halbarad), so I would like to have something with Halbarad and perhaps Aragorn. Post-war Aragorn with Arwen, Faramir, Éomer, Dari or children in general would be fine too.

You may choose the rating, though some smutty het would be highly appreciated *smug grin*. But no slash please.

July 28 -- SilverWolf I would like to see a drabble about Glorfindel. Either with Ecthelion, or Elrond. Yes, I think they are one and the same. I would prefer non-slash, but will not shy away if drabbles do have slash in them.

Re: July 2007 Babies

I'll start us off. My birthday is July 12, and I'm interested in moments between cultures where one considers itself more civilised than the other. What did the "less civilised" think of the "more civilised". A good example is the Gondorians and the Rohirrim. Faramir describes the Rohirrim as "middle men", and strongly suggests that they're less civilised than Gondorians. So what did the Rohirrim think of the Gondorians? Pick any such pair. Noldor/Sindar, Shire-hobbits/hobbits outside of the Shire, Elves/Dwarves, Bree-men/Dunedain Rangers (or the other way around on that one), Men/Orcs. And give me a glimpse of what the "other side" thought of the supposed superiors. Bonus points if you can bring Celeborn into it in some fashion. Marta

Re: July 2005 Babies

Born: 18 JULY 1987- Ooo I'm next. *chants, skipping around like a loony hyena* I can finally go clubbing... clubbing...

Anyways... Paroxysm aside, a drabble of Legolas and my 'alter-ego' would be really fantabulous, but one of Legolas and Estel, or just Legolas alone would be just as appreciated. A ..er..ahem.. naughty drabble would be GREAT. *sheepish grin*

Kisses,

Cheryl Ann Alexis

(p.s. Perhaps we might have what you foresaw afterall, Arandil! )

July already? Without prolonged introductions I will start right of:

My birthday is on July 25th. I love the northern Rangers (especially Halbarad), so I would like to have something with Halbarad and perhaps Aragorn. Post-war Aragorn with Arwen, Faramir, Éomer, Dari or children in general would be fine too.

You may choose the rating, though some smutty het would be highly appreciated *smug grin*. But no slash please.

~Vil

Hi Vil and Cheryl, I have added both of your requests to the top of this thread. Why don't you guys create workshop stories so that others can put all of your drabbles in one place? (See the links at the top of this thread.) I just did mine. So to recap here's what people requesting drabbles need to do: 1. Post your request in this thread. 2. Create a story for people to put their drabbles for you in. Connect it to the birthday cards workshop. (And make sure the status is General, or it won't show up in the public side of Challenges.) 3. Enter your story in the appropriate month's challenge. Challenges are now up for April, May, June, and July. Happy writing! Marta

For Marta

Thank you for the advice Marta. And here is my drabble for you. It's some words longer than it should be, but whatever...I know that it does not really fit your wish, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. As soon as I come up with one that fits, I'll postit.

About a Ranger

The barkeeper looked up at the tall man standing in front of the counter. Unkempt, greasy, shoulder length hair and a chin full of untended stubble. Looking further down, he took in the ragged, muddy clothes. There was some blackish-red stain in the material whose origin Butterbur didn’t even want to think about. And worst was that he stank! He shook his head at the man. Rangers were definitively not civilized folks. How they would find a wife and sire some children looking like they did was beyond the Bree-man. “How can I help you Mr…?”

“Strider,” came the reply. Butterbur would have groaned had he been alone. He did not even have a proper name!

~Vil

For Cheryl

Here is a little Legolas - Estel drabble for you. I hope you like it.

Archery

Notch an arrow to the string, pull back, aim and release. For Legolas, archery training was  a good exercise to begin the day with. Suddenly he felt a slight pull on his left sleeve. Looking down, Legolas found piercing silver eyes gazing up at him. He smiled at Rivendell’s youngest inhabitant. “Yes Estel?” “What’dya doin’ Leg’las?” Estel asked in the slightly slurred speech of a toddler. “I am practising archery.” At the uncomprehending look Legolas explained. “Shooting with a bow.” “Why?” “Because I want to protect my home.” “I wanna too. Teach me?” Legolas laughed and thought his heart would melt at seeing such sweet innocence

~Vil

Re: For Marta

Vil, The drabble was great fun. Thanks! Barliman is one of my favourite characters, and it's nice seeing his reasons for disliking Aagorn explained. You're right, it's not quite exactly what I had in mind, but it's close, and I definitely enjoyed it. Will you add it to my story in the workshop? Thanks, Marta

I am glad you liked it

I think I came up with a fitting drabble. Here it is.

Comparison

‘I am going to marry a woman of the Dúnedain,’ Éomer thought idly as he sat in his study ‘what will Lothíriel think of our inferior culture? They have grand houses of stone and big libraries full of ancient lore, while ours are made of wood and all lore we posses are our songs. They can write and speak several languages. And what can we do? Tame horses!’ The king of Rohan sighed. ‘And they live so incredibly long lives! She will surely outlive me and watch while I wither and fall from my high seat unmanned and witless.’ Éomer grumbled in frustration.

Would the new queen ever feel at home in this “less-civilised” country?

~Vil

July 24 -- ErinRua

My birthday is July 24th.  Though predictably known as a fan of the Rohirrim, I think I would like to see any interaction between any Rohirrim, canon or oc, and any Dunedain.  Be it one of the Grey Company at any point in their dealings with Theoden's host or some other encounter, I would like to see any interaction between Rohirrim and Dunedain.  Perhaps when the Grey Company first met up with Aragorn, or on the Pelannor Fields or at the Black Gate, or after the war was done ... Or it could be a meeting of women, if no male muses speak up.  Wherever your imagination places you!  I would be so eternally grateful!    Gen-fic only, please.

(Ignore this - deleting double post.)

Hi! I am a July baby. Sure, I am mainly a lurker, but I decided I might as well put down somethign here anway, heheh. I wa born on 28th July. I would like to see a drabble about Glorfindel. Either with Ecthelion, or Elrond. Yes, I think they are one and the same. I would prefer non-slash, but will not shy away if drabbles do have slash in them. Thanks in advance for any and all drabbles I am given.

Hi ErinRua and SilverWolf101, I have added your requests to the post at the top of this thread. Can you guys go and create stories in the workshop, if you haven't already, so we can add our drabbles to them? Thanks, Marta

Hi Silverwolf, Would you mind an Elrond/OFC drabble? Because I just might be able to come up with one of those! Yours Juno - an Elrond fangurl

Hello folks,

Tari's birthday is 7/2 and I know she knows nothing about these fun birthday drabbles.  So I'd love to surprise her - how about something for her with Haldir and Legolas????

Thanks,

Agape

Hi Agape, I've added this to the list at the top of the thread. Do you know if she specifically wants it based the movies or the books? I have a definite idea, but it would require Haldir *not* dying at Helm's Deep. It would actually probably fit better with bookverse on all accounts. Do you want to create a story for her and add it to the workshop? That way we have a place to put these things. Marta

Hi ErinRua and SilverWolf101, I have added your requests to the post at the top of this thread. Can you guys go and create stories in the workshop, if you haven't already, so we can add our drabbles to them?

Edit edit, delete delete ....

Okay, I'm confused ... I found the workshop thingie and I read the directions, but I'm afraid I don't understand what's supposed to happen when we click the "add story to shop" button.  When I do that, I just get bumped over to a drop-down box of my existing stories.

Now, am I supposed to create a new blank story thingie, title it 'Erin's B-day Drabbles' or some such, and later go gather up whatever drabbles other people may write for me and put it in there?  Does it automatically link to the shop, or do I have to add it somehow?

Sorry to be so dense, but I have not been over here in months so I'm completely in the dark as to how this is supposed to work.

Cheers ~

Erin
*feeling particularly blond tonight*

Hi Erin, Well, if you're feeling blond, you're in good company. Among others, Éomer and Glorfindel. Okay, I'm confused ... I found the workshop thingie and I read the directions, but I'm afraid I don't understand what's supposed to happen when we click the "add story to shop" button. When I do that, I just get bumped over to a drop-down box of my existing stories. Below that there should be a line of text: "Need to create a story first? Go to My Stuff/My Stories.". ("My Stuff/My Stories" is a link.) You want to click on that link and create a new story. The title should be of the form "[Name]'s [Year] Birthday Presents". So in your case, it would be "ErinRua's 2005 Birthday Presents". For the summary, put in your request. Set the status to "General". This is so it will display properly on the public side of the site. Do whatever you think is appropriate with the other fields. The ones I mentioned above are what's important for the purpose of the drabble story. ;) Once you've created the story, you need to go back to the birthday card workshop and add the "ErinRua's 2005 Birthday Presents" story. It should now appear in the drop-down list. (You want to add the original story, not a clone.) Now, am I supposed to create a new blank story thingie, title it 'Erin's B-day Drabbles' or some such, Yep. and later go gather up whatever drabbles other people may write for me and put it in there? No, you don't have to worry about that. The way that Workshop works, if you add a story to a workshop then other members of that workshop can add chapters to the story. Let me give an example. I have added my story "Marta's 2005 Birthday Presents" to the workshop. Vilwarin has written me a drabble. Vilwarin is a member of the workshop. Therefore Vilwarin can go and add a chapter to my story and put her drabble there. Let's say you also write me a drabble. In that case you could go in and add a new chapter to my story, but you couldn't edit Vilwarin's. (I'm not saying you need to write me a drabble. ;) Just giving an example.) Anyway, once you've created the story, you don't need to add other peoples' drabbles to it. The workshop stories replace the old HAWriters stories. The advantage is that each drabble is in its own chapter of a story -- so you can link to it directly. With the HAWriters story, you could only list to all of the drabbles written in a given month, so this is definitely an improvement in that regard. It also means you can add a drabble you wrote to the appropriate story without having to log in to the HAWriters ID. Does it automatically link to the shop, or do I have to add it somehow? After you've done what I've described above, your story is added to the shop. You don't need to do anything else beyond that to link it to the workshop. But there is still one little thing you need to do. You need to add the story to the July 2005 Birthday Drabbles challenge. There's nothing special about this. Just add "ErinRua's 2005 Birthday Presents" to the challenge like you would enter any other story. So to recap: 1. Create the story "ErinRua's 2005 Birthday Presents". 2. Add this story to the birthday cards workshop. Make sure you add the original. 3. Enter the story in the "July 2005 Birthday Drabbles" forum. Once you've done those three things, you're done. Other people can add their drabbles as chapters of this story, and it will show up on the public side of the site at the end of the month. Marta

Over the time I realized that I did not like "comparison" at all. Éomer was just not plausible. So I changed it:

Comparison --revised

‘I am going to marry a woman of the Dúnedain,’ Éomer thought idly as he sat in his study ‘what will Lothíriel think of my country? They have grand houses of stone and big libraries full of ancient lore, while ours are made of wood and all lore we posses are our songs. They can write and speak several languages.’ The king of Rohan sighed. ‘And they live so incredibly long lives! She will surely outlive me and watch while I wither and fall from my high seat unmanned and witless.’ Éomer grumbled in frustration. Suddenly his eyes lit up and he exclaimed “Pa, what was I thinking? They do have their dead stone, that they can keep! But what of their spirit? They burry themselves in their past while we go singing into battle on proud steeds! When his queen came, he would show her what it meant to live.

~Vil

Would you mind an Elrond/OFC drabble?

Because I just might be able to come up with one of those!

Sure, lol, that would be fine, heh.

July 2 -- Tari how about something for her with Haldir and Legolas???? I thought this idea would behave itself and settle down into a hundred words, or at the most two hundred. No such luck. Here's a birthday vignette for Tari. Haldir watches Legolas and Gimli sail from Middle-earth, and wonders whether he will ever sail West himself. Check it out: "Alas, for the Singing of the Trees. Btw, some knowledge of the Silm is helpful to understand some of Haldir's back-story,, so here's a quick crash course. The Elves awoke by the shores of Cuivienen, in Middle-earth. Some of them were captured and turned into orcs by Morgoth (Sauron's boss in the elder days), and so the Valar decided to bring the Elves to Valinor. The only problem was one of the Elven leaders (Thingol) disappeared along the way. We later learn that he's making googly-eyes at Melian off in the woods somewhere, but at the time his followers don't know what's happened to him. So some of them stay in Middle-earth until they can find him. These became the Sindar. Celeborn, Thranduil, and Legolas are all examples of Sindarin Elves. Meanwhile, the rest of the Elves go to Valinor and live in peace for awhile. But things go wrong and, as Arandil is so fond of saying, it's all Fëanor's fault. He made three jewels called the silmarils, which Morgoth later stole (and killed Fëanor's father Finwë as part of the bargain). Fëanor returned to Middle-earth to get the silmarils back from Morgoth. But he only took some of the Elves who wanted to come with him in the ships -- those Elves following his half brothers, Fingon and Fingolfin, he left in Valinor to make their own way across. They walked across the ice, and it was a really gruesome affair. Anyway, in this story I have made Haldir's parents followers of Fingolfin. That means they're definitely Noldor (the group of Elves that went to Valinor but returned to Middle-earth), but they're not Fëanorians. I imagine Haldir and possibly his brothers Orophin and Rúmil being born in Middle-earth in Fingolfin's kingdom of Hithlum, back in the First Age. Who's Aredhel? She's Fingolfin's daughter. She lives for a while in Gondolin with her brother Turgon but then decides she wants to leave the city. Later she marries a dark elf named Eöl, has a child named Maeglin, and returns with Maeglin to Gondolin (followed by Eöl -- she is trying to escape him). Eöl is told he can't take Maeglin away from Gondolin and decides to kill him instead of letting him grow up around the hated Noldor, but he kills Aredhel by mistake. Aredhel was born in Valinor so is not exactly a cohort of Haldir's, but I don't think that would stop him from adoring her so much growing up that he had a crush on her. She would have been the king's only (named) daughter, after all, so she was probably well-loved by all. THat's my thinking at least. Anyway, enough back story! You probably don't need to know all of this, but if you know nothing of the Silm I thought a little background might help. Marta

Marta,

Thank you so much.  This made my day.  Since I am on vacation, and don't have the internet at home, Agape printed it out for me. 

I am having so much fun on this board.  I shall try to read as many stories as I can.  Right now I'm reading Daw's stories about Legolas.  I'm still really new, and look forward to many more fun things.

Thanks again,

Tari

July 25 -- Vilwarin My birthday is on July 25th. I love the northern Rangers (especially Halbarad), so I would like to have something with Halbarad and perhaps Aragorn. Well, I can hardly claim this one, as both the idea and the title come from Gwynnyd. And she beta'd it for me, too. s @ Gwynnyd - thanks for all your help. But for what it's worth, here's a little encounter between Halbarad and Aragorn as experienced by a certain hobbit. "A Little More Than Kin" "Aragorn called you 'kinsman'," Merry said. "Was that for courtesy?" Halbarad smiled. "My father was brother to Aragorn's mother's mother." A hobbit at heart, to count his degrees so finely! Merry saw the shrouded stone in Aragorn's lap, and thought of his cousin's mistake near Isengard last night. Surely Aragorn wouldn't... "Kinsman, and friend," Aragorn put in. "You have supported me through many follies. Will you support me through another?" A pause: they seemed to speak without words. After a moment Halbarad stood. "Gladly." At least he won't face danger alone.

So Halbarad is Gilraen's cousin, making him Aragorn's great-cousin, or does it? I must confess I am one intersted in degrees of kinship. So this drabble was perfect!

Anyway, thank you so much for the drabble. I greatly enjoyed it

Will you put it into the workshop?

~Vil

Copy-paste error in B-day requests?

Regarding SilverWolf's request: I would prefer non-slash, but will not shy away if drabbles do have slash in them. You may choose the rating, though some smutty het would be highly appreciated *smug grin*. But no slash please. Looks like SilverWolf's request was inserted into Vilwarin's by accident. Dwim

For Marta

Marta said: I'm interested in moments between cultures where one considers itself more civilised than the other. What did the "less civilised" think of the "more civilised". And in particular mentioned: Bree-men/Dunedain Rangers (or the other way around on that one) I like that double-sidedness, so here are two drabbles, one from a Breelander perspective, and one from a Dúnadan point of view. Happy birthday, Marta! Dwim ********* Outlandish Bob sighed when he saw them approaching. All over mud and grass stains—What, do they roll in the fields? he wondered—and wary eyes in weary faces, watching everything and everyone. As if, he thought, they did not trust the Bree-folk. "Well, handsome is as handsome does," he muttered. "Better look in a mirror, lads!" He was only glad they'd no horses, for he'd no desire to get that look from them, no matter they always paid. As if I'd do anything to them! Rangers. Bob shook his head. Aye lads, it'll be a long night in The Pony... Exiled "You can lose your heart or your pride, lads, it's that simple"—a Ranger's first and hardest lesson. For pride's harder to lose, he thought, as the serving girl took one look and turned her pretty nose up. And he'd hoped for peace that night, but alas! The Pony's common room had two moods for Rangers, and tonight, he was the entertainment. "C'mon, lad, a meal's worth a song, eh?"—pride can sour on such charity. So 'twas for heart he sang: Gulls cry on the stormwind, high over waters wide, Look thou homeward, Exile, That we may here abide!

Hi Dwim, Considering that summer classes started back up today, I hope you'll excuse me if I just crossspost this reply that I originally made at HA. You of all people surely understand that my head will soon be swimming in statements like "!(p&q)-->r". Marta said: I'm interested in moments between cultures where one considers itself more civilised than the other. What did the "less civilised" think of the "more civilised". And in particular mentioned: Bree-men/Dunedain Rangers (or the other way around on that one) I like that double-sidedness, so here are two drabbles, one from a Breelander perspective, and one from a Dúnadan point of view. This is exactly what I was hoping for, and you've nailed it. And it's a gap-filler in the truest sense, because it takes little comments that Tolkien gave us and just breathes them to life. I think that's my favourite kind of thing to read, so of course I have loved these. Happy birthday, Marta! Thanks! ********* Outlandish Bob sighed when he saw them approaching. All over mud and grass stains—What, do they roll in the fields? he wondered—and wary eyes in weary faces, watching everything and everyone. As if, he thought, they did not trust the Bree-folk. "Wary eyes in weary faces" -- love it! It's not quite alliteration, is it? Or if it is it's a weak sense. But it does pick up on a nice language play. I also quite like Bob's thought about "What, do they roll in the fields?" Anyone who has worked in the service industry has had a thought like that at one time. I remember the summer in high school that I sold computers, and the questions we got! I thought several times "No one can be this stupid! Surely these people are playing dumb to make my life harder." I can see Bob having a similar reaction. "Well, handsome is as handsome does," he muttered. "Better look in a mirror, lads!" He was only glad they'd no horses, for he'd no desire to get that look from them, no matter they always paid. As if I'd do anything to them! "Handsome is as handsome does" -- this for me was a nice touch because it's a saying out of the Shire. Of course it makes sense that it would be in Bree, too, but I loved seeing you bring that connection out. Rangers. Bob shook his head. Aye lads, it'll be a long night in The Pony... *snork* There's something about having Bob just think that single word "Rangers". I think we've all felt that sense of disdain. Exiled "You can lose your heart or your pride, lads, it's that simple"—a Ranger's first and hardest lesson. For pride was harder to lose, he thought, as the serving girl took one look and turned her pretty nose up. I imagine that this was one of the hardest parts of being a young Ranger. You toiled all day, and when you came into town people turned up their nose at you. And it would be so easy to tell them exactly what you saw all day, and why you were so care-worn. At least Faramir's Rangers could have a good time in Minas Tirith or wherever,,, and would for the most part be treated like heroes, or at least accepted. In many ways it probably worked to the good by preserving the racial purity of the Northern Dunedain, but certainly hard on the new recruits! And he'd hoped for peace that night, but alas! The common room had two moods for Rangers, and tonight, he was the entertainment. "C'mon, lad, a meal's worth a song, eh?"—pride can sour on such charity. So 'twas for heart he sang: Gulls cry on the stormwind, high over waters wide, Look thou homeward, Exile, That we may here abide! Oh, nice use of the double-meaning of exile. Exilsed from Numenor, and exiled from polite company. I couldn't help thinking of the Elves here. Of course it's not what the Dunedain would be singing about necessarily, but there's also the sense that in the case of the Elves, the Exiles (the Calaquendi and Moriquendi) were left to fend for themselves against Morgoth. I mean, instead of the Valar making a stand in Middle-earth they tried to transplant the Elves, and that did in many ways go against the Elves' nature. A lot of the subsequent pain between the different kindred could possibly have beeen avoided if the Valar would have acted differently. And so it seems that Men were exiles in that sense, too. That the Valar had chosen to make their stronghold in a land that Men were not allowed to go to. Marta

Re: July 2005 Babies - Happy Early Birthday Vilwarin

Happy early Birthday, Vil! Considering my muse's pathetically lethargic state, early is probably a good thing :rolllin You asked for Northern Rangers, especially Halbarad, and I hope this drabble fits the bill. Cheers and have a great birth month! Vistula ~~~~ Fire Fighters “Faugh!” Sweaty, the man stripped soot-covered layers, savoring the touch of unheated air on his aching body. It had been a long night and the day before longer still, but the brush fire was finally quenched, the folk it threatened no longer endangered. Behind him, his Dunedain kindred shucked clothes, poking at each other like naughty boys. They were tired – overly so. An icy dip was just what they needed to refresh body and mind before once more slipping into the shadows. “Swiftly lads, we’ve little time.” To a chorus of disappointed groans, Halbarad slipped into water and enveloping silence.

Happy Birthday, Marta!

Marta asked for moments between cultures where one considers itself more civilized than the other, from the perspective of the less-civilized. This is my first-ever attempt to drabble, and so I give you two, to make up for the potential badness of them.

(Oh, and they are slightly longer than the hundred-word limit for a drabble--about 150 a piece, I think. I'm going from one-hundred pages to one-hundred words here!)

The first is about the arrival of the Kings of the Eldar in Valinor and their first meeting with the Valar, from the perspective of the Elves. The second is set just after the arrival of the Teleri in Aman. The idea that the Noldor had a lot to do with the construction of Alqualonde is found in The Silmarillion: Feanor uses it as an excuse for why the Teleri should relinquish their ships to him.

~oOo~

Valinor

The light hurts our eyes at first. It is not as promised.

The dust in the streets is a fine powder that glistens like diamonds. The dust on our bare feet is coarse and black and makes painful blisters. We are led before the Valar in tattered furs that are warm if not beautiful, not that warmth is an issue here.

Their robes are of silk, their sandals of leather as supple as water; there are jewels on their brows. I watch for their faces to pinch at the sight of us, but they betray no emotion. “Kings of the Eldar,” they say, “we invite you to join us in Valinor.”

A thrill seizes my heart—but I hesitate. Thoughts of the Hither Lands trouble me. I will miss the meadows glazed in silver, the flicker of the stars in Cuivienen. I will miss the starlight on Miriel’s hair.

Ingwë steps forward.

~oOo~

The Architect

The Noldor are eager to build a city for us, equal in grandeur to Tirion. They are my friends, and so I accept. It would be ungrateful of me to renew my long friendship with Finwë by insulting the talents of his people. But I have no qualm with our frail huts by the sea—better to hear the songs of the waves playing upon the crystal shores. Stone muffles, subdues. Isolates.

Finwë brings his most skilled architect to Eldamar. He leads me eagerly to meet him. The boy is young and carries himself as though his spine was poured from steel. His eyes are the same deadly silver found at the base of blue flames. He might be a statue, such is his beauty.

They would become steel and stone if given the choice, I think, these Noldor.

“King Olwë,” says Finwë, with a quiver of pride in his voice, “I bring you my son Fëanor.”

Happy Birthday, Marta!

For Gwynnyd and ErinRua

Happy very belated birthday, Gwynnyd. You asked for Aragorn, you got him. Who Would Be King No trace of Ringwraiths. The message went by courier upon their return, for Aragorn had much to do ere returning to Imladris. For there's war, and then there's apocalypse. "Again," Halbarad remarked with black humor the day of Aragorn's departure. And since they were alone, Aragorn chuckled, though mirth quickly faded. "Can you manage in my absence?" he asked. "We always have," Halbarad assured him. But when Aragorn had mounted his steed, Halbarad touched his knee and asked: "Can you manage in our absence?" "I'm your Chieftain," Aragorn said simply, and ere Halbarad could comment, finished: "How could I possibly?" And happy almost-on-time birthday to Erin. I hope this suffices! Across the Desolation "I cannot!" the young man gasped, and staggered. Clad in someone else's ill-fitting tabard, he trembled in mail no doubt got from the funeral carts, face pale as the White Tree he wore. His neighbor in the ranks hurriedly caught him; the white-eyed look the Gondorian turned on him was only too familiar. Learned it at Isen, he thought. "Come now, friend, a few more steps. Lean on me," Céorl coaxed. And his voice must have held some trusty note, for the lad obeyed. "Good man. Now a few more..." Arm in arm, step by step, they followed Hope east.

Re: For Gwynnyd and ErinRua

Hello, Dwim!

I left my reply over on the HA Group, but just wanted to leave a note of appreciation here.    This is truly a marvelous moment and the 'voice' of the veteran soldier is very sympathetic.  I love how he feels compassion for the lad but nonetheless respects his manhood and offers him the same consideration Aragorn gave all the men, a way to preserve his youthful dignity.  Also, the lad's obvious 'greenness', his ill-fitting uniform are testimony to what a desperate time that was; so many had already fallen that even the most raw recruits were taken into service.

Plus I love the dual meaning of the final line. 

And your Aragorn-Halbarad drabble for Gwynnyd made me sniffle. 

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!  *hugs first birthday drabble*

Cheers,

Erin

Re: For Gwynnyd and ErinRua

To both Marta and Erin, I also left my replies on list, but once again: thank you! I'm very glad you've enjoyed your drabbles and that they elicted such thoughtful responses. Many happy returns! Dwim

For Marta, 12 July

Marta said I'm interested in moments between cultures where one considers itself more civilised than the other. What did the "less civilised" think of the "more civilised".

Lots of people have given you Breelanders and Rangers, so I've put together some of the other things I know you wanted. This is a sequence of four drabbles linked by the common theme of ships and shipbuilding: First Age Noldor as viewed by Teleri; Second Age Númenoreans from the perspective of the Drúedain of the Great Isle; mid-Third Age Dúnedain of the North as seen by the Lossoth; and late Third Age Elves from the perspective of the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains.

Happy Birthday, Marta!

Cheers, Liz

Ship and Shore

Subtle in mind, skilled in hand

Such achievements! Jewels more fair than earth-gems. Seeing-stones that let mind speak to mind across the miles. Subtle scripts to capture tales of their valour.

Why waste time singing by the shores of the sea, or listening to the thrumming of wind in rope and sail, when you could have the ring of hammer on anvil, the hiss of bellows and crackle of furnace flames?

Yet it was our ships they craved, in the end. The whisper of our blood upon the stones of the Swanhaven and the roar of our burning handiwork were the music they chose. Such achievements!

Foresight

The slow lift and fall frightened me at first, and I could neither eat nor sleep for three days and nights ere I grew accustomed to it. Yet the heaving of my stomach was naught to the sickness in my mind and heart when first I felt the Gift-land tremble beneath my feet.

I hear the sailors mutter: strange we should seek passage on the beasts we begged not sail. Ah, do they not feel, does the King not feel the foundations of the heavenly pillar shake? Nay, in marble-floored palaces and on ships they touch the earth no longer.

Cold comfort

The ring sits snugly between fur and sealskin, but I feel its chill striking into my bones. So must the cold have pierced the ribs of that sea-monster when the Great Sorcerer’s hands piled ice against it.

Fragile are the things of the peoples of the South when He casts his white cloak over the land! We warned it was no time for journeying, save for seal-hunt and bear-hunt, yet they were fey and would not listen.

I will bear the cold of this metal circle. So will our young men never forget either the courage or foolishness of Southern-folk.

Safe haven

Strong, wise, valiant: aye, so their songs claim – and the songs of Men, over whom they cast their glamour.

Their wisdom lies in building ships. I have seen them in the harbours near my mountain home: grey timbered, white sailed. Yet their timbers are bound and their sails are set by the strength of our iron: nails, pulleys, cleats. The wisdom of the Elves lies only in fleeing these shores to seek the protection of the Great Ones.

We are the ones who have the stomach for this fight, the strength to endure the Dark Lord’s might. We, we remain!

Re: July 12 -- Marta

July 12 -- Marta I'm interested in moments between cultures where one considers itself more civilised than the other. What did the "less civilised" think of the "more civilised".

(Bonus points if you can bring Celeborn into it in some fashion.)

DONE!

Ranger1

Climbing Trees

Finrod hung by one hand from the limb. Above him, Artanis, the golden garland of her hair full of leaves, strode confidently along the branch she had chosen, until she ended up hanging on to the limb next to her brother.

“Hopeless.” Galathil said.

“Brother, be gentile. It is only the first time our cousins have walked in trees.”
He watched as they struggled to climb the trunk.
“Still they are too proud, not accepting any teachings from us at all!”
“Melain did ask us to watch over them. We must check now that they both are fallen.”

The two silver haired Elves leapt lightly from limb to limb, leaves rustling barely shaking them as they went down to see to their kin.

An Avari living in Doriath to escape Morgorth’s orcs appeared without stirring a leaf or shaking a limb. He sighed to the tree: “They are ALL hopeless.”

NOTES: (For those who are not Pervy Avari Fanciers)
Avari were the Elves who did not even try to go to the Blessed Lands. They were called Wild Elves and considered more open to Morgorth’s call. Both statements were slanders.

When Celeborn decided he loved Finrod’s sister he would call her Galadriel – “Garlanded with Gold” – because of her hair. She liked the name.

Re: For Cheryl

Ohmigod. So very sorry for the late reply... I JUST saw it here.

Awww Vil... That was so sweet!! *hugs* Merci beaucoup, doll.

Kisses,

Cheryl

Hi Vil,

I think I came up with a fitting drabble. Here it is.

I'm sorry, I don't think I ever replied to this one. It was very nice.

There's a temptation in this request to write the so-called "savage" races feeling they are superior or at least equal to their alleged "superiors". And people have pointed out several examples where the former might wonder what's so great about the latter. That's great! But with Eomer, I think he was very impressed by Aragorn way back at the start of TTT, and then his sister is healed by Gondorian medicine (whereas his foster father's wife and his own parents both died prematurely). And in the books he sees the coronation of Aragorn (I think - just not there for the wedding) so he sees Gondor when they're rolling out the red carpet.

And then he comes back to Rohan, and sees so much of it hurt by the war.

I think he might very well feel there was something to be said for Gondorian superiority. At least that Eomer might think Gondor was superior to Rohan in certain respects, and he might wonder how Lothiriel would react to that. I hope that in time he would come to relearn the majesty of his homeland, and that maybe Lothiriel could help him in that. I can so see her being all excited about things, and that outsiders' perspective remind Eomer of what he had!

Marta

Hi Tari,

Again, I'm late on feedback. RL has been very busy!

Thank you so much. This made my day.

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.

I am having so much fun on this board. I shall try to read as many stories as I can. Right now I'm reading Daw's stories about Legolas. I'm still really new, and look forward to many more fun things.

Daw's stories are good, what I've read of them. I'm really more of a Gondor girl myself.

If you're interested, Cheryl's vignette "Minuial", about Thranduil's and Legolas's relationship, is very nice. It's also at this site. And Legolas features into many of Celandine Brandybuck's stories about Haldir, which are quite good. (Some of them are sexually explicit and involve slash, so do mind the ratings...)

Marta

Hi Vil,

So Halbarad is Gilraen's cousin, making him Aragorn's great-cousin, or does it?

That sounds roughly right. I borrowed the exact kinship from Gwynnyd!verse, in which Halbeleg (an OC of hers, Halbarad's father) is an uncle to Gilraen. Which would mean, if I'm remembering correctly, that Halbarad and Gilraen are second cousins, and Aragorn would by Halbarad's second cousin once removed. But for what it's worth in her stories I believe Halbarad is actually Aragorn's age. Long Dúnedain lifestyles and all of that, plus Gilraen's young age at marrying.

If you want to see some interaction between Halbeleg and Gilraen, check out her story Not Without Hope. Just don't confuse her Halbeleg with my Halbeleg (different OC, same name... in my universe Halbeleg is a grandson of Halbarad).

I must confess I am one interested in degrees of kinship. So this drabble was perfect!

Good. If you can't tell by the above I'm interested in such relationships myself! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Will you put it into the workshop?

Just did it.

Marta

Re: Happy Birthday, Marta!

Hi Dawn,

I commented over at HA when you first published this a while ago, but I wanted to say here as well how very much I loved these ficlets. There is so much to choose from, but I think my favourite part was probably in the first one, when you compare the dust of Valinor to the dust of Middle-earth.

Reading these makes me want to go hunt down your longerworks... if I can ever find the time. ;-)

Marta

Re: For Marta, 12 July

Hi Liz,
Lots of people have given you Breelanders and Rangers, so I've put together some of the other things I know you wanted.

bwahahaha

I knew there were advantages to chatting so much in IM! Thank you so much for all these moments. I already discussed them with you privately, but I want to say it again here: they are wonderfully done, and you picked just the right moments.

I think my favourite thing is the thought of the Dewarves' nails and such being what held the Elves' ships together. It's a good sign that the two races are interconnected, and it means that the Elves will carry away a piece of Middle-earth. That seemed very fitting.

Of course, I love so much about all of them. But I won't rehash that here and make you reply to what you've already said.

Have you added them to my workshop story? You can add them as a single chapter if you think that's easiest.

Btw, guys, Liz pointed out that many of these drabbles might fit the Sophisticated Cultures and Primitive Peoples idea. I know she has already entered her series, but the rest of you should check it out too. (Perhaps if I offer a suitable number of victims to this nuzgul it will leave me alone?)

Marta

(Bonus points if you can bring Celeborn into it in some fashion.)

DONE!

This is another one of those drabbles that I replied to at HA and never got around to also replying here. Dean, it's wonderful! Thank you! As I said at HA, I particularly like the fact that in the end it's the Avari who scoffs at both Sinda and Noldo.

Have you added this to my workshop story? If not, please do; I'd love to see it saved there.

Marta

Seems as if I have missed a lot of wonderful drabbles. They are all very cool. Sadly it is too late for my mind to come up with something coherent.

And you are welcome Cheryl and Marta.

~Vil

For TariElfLady, 2 July.

Agape requested we write something for TariElfLady with Haldir and Legolas. This is based on the moment in The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 2, Ch 6, Lothlórien shortly after the Fellowship enter the woods in which "The Elves [Haldir, Rúmil and Orophin] spoke together in soft voices, and questioned Legolas in their own tongue."

Ancient Grudge

“The Lord and Lady will not welcome him. Ever trouble follows upon the heels of dwarves.” Haldir kept his voice soft, but Legolas heard his anger. “What dark thoughts creep into their hearts in their black caverns? Their greed begets murder; they stir up orcs to harry our borders; they hew fair woods to feed their furnaces.”

Legolas glanced across at Gimli: legs planted akimbo, hands clasping axe, face stern as stone, glowering. He glared back at Haldir. “Did not the Lord and Lady once call Menegroth home? And this time ’tis not the dwarf draws trouble to your lands.”

Sorry it's so late - my fanfic muses have been on vacation. But a Happy Belated Birthday.

Cheers, Liz

Happy Birthday, Marta!

It is not what you asked for. It is not even a drabble.

I just happened to write it today for a challenge and somehow, when I had finished it, I thought it might make a nice present for you.

Happy Birthday!

Yours
Juno

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Cîr vith vi gírbann.
Celebros sui gilraen
Lim vi fin gî morn.
Rínnathach an nin ennas,
Rínnathach athra aer?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A/N:

Translation:

Grey ships (are) in the harbour.
Silver spray like a net of jewels
(Is) sparkling in your dark hair.
Will you remember me there,
will you remember on the other side of the ocean?

"rínna" is not recorded as a verb, but "rín" means "memory, remembrance", so I was very daring and decided that "rínna" might well be the form of the verb. It could also be a strong verb, then it would be "rín" and the correct form of the future tense would be "rínithach".

Happy Birthday, SilverWolf!

Yes, I know, it is super-early, to the tune of two weeks, but if I don't get these things done early, then they tend not to get done Anyway, SilverWolf asked for Glorfindel with either Ecthelion or Elrond. Being ambitious, I have tried to do both (in a way).

And, once again, I have exceeded one hundred words But, this time, it is under 150, so I'm getting better! I hope you enjoy, and happy (early) birthday, SilverWolf!

~oOo~

I am hustling through the halls of the palace when I hear the music. It reminds me of the way the rains would ring upon still ponds in Valinor, cascading from the skies, silver, as though kissed by the stars.

I follow the sound to the nursery. I pause in the doorway and watch Ecthelion play his harp for the young Eärendil—who has succumbed to sleep—a melody so ancient that it is hard to forget that it was devised by one of our own and not placed by Eru in our hearts.

When the song dies on his fingers, I speak. "Babysitting?" I ask.

He turns and grins. "I do what I can to serve my King. And his son."

I look upon the sleeping child, his dreams washed by Ecthelion's music, a smile upon his lips. "And so shall we serve his son."

A late one for Marta

Hi Marta -- as you remarked, a lot of your birthday drabbles have shown what the Riders of the North thought of the people of Gondor. And here's another one, from me; though I hope the earlier era makes it slightly different.

Kin Strife

"The girl is useless, Valacar." I retreat into the tapestry shadows. "She refuses to even touch a needle!"

"Vidumavi's people revere other skills, Mother. They teach their princesses to shoot three arrows into the same target at a gallop, and sing the deeds of their ancestors for fifteen generations. She will learn the ways of Gondor; only give her time."

I straighten my back and sweep forward. Let my husband try to appease his mother; I will show this seagull-shrieking woman that a daughter of the North is as proud as she.

Or I shall kill her, and return home.

Happy early birthday, Vilwarin

Vilwarin: I love the northern Rangers (especially Halbarad), so I would like to have something with Halbarad and perhaps Aragorn.

Pervy Northern Dúnadan fancier, here. Can't resist this one. Hope you like humor, Vilwarin, and happy early birthday!

Well-named

"New Rangers, eh?" the innkeep grunted. They shrugged, and the man sighed, handing one of them a key, saying: "All right, my fine young Strider, just don't bother my girls."

Once out of earshot, Aragorn muttered, "Why must I be 'Strider'?"

"Because you are?" Halbarad quipped, then oofed! as Aragorn elbowed him.

"Traitor," Aragorn growled, as a pair of chambermaids appeared. The Rangers stood aside, Halbarad bowing as they passed. The lasses smiled, hurrying away, but their whispers carried and Halbarad paled to hear:

"Well one's mannerly! Leggy lad, though—a very heron!"

Aragorn said naught; his grin told all.

Re: Happy early birthday, Vilwarin

Yes, pervy Northern Dúnadan fancier indeed!

Ah, and of course I like humour, who does not?

So you just explained why Aragorn is called Strider. It seemes as if he says it rather spontaniously and as if he knew exactly that they would not give their names.

don't bother my girls

Do the Rangers have the reputation of molesting chambermaids?

Leggy lad, though—a very heron

*lol* All about long legs, isn't it?

Thank you very much, Dwim. I really loved it.

~Vil

Re: Happy early birthday, Vilwarin

Yes, pervy Northern Dúnadan fancier indeed!

It's a sickness, but one from which I have no desire to be cured...

Ah, and of course I like humour, who does not?

Good point.

It seemes as if he says it rather spontaniously and as if he knew exactly that they would not give their names.

Yeah, it's a bit too compressed to solve all lingering questions. The way I see it, new Rangers know they aren't going to be giving out their real names, and so does the innkeep. Also, you know how it happens that inevitably, it's the nicknames other people give you that stick, especially if you're not usually around to insist upon some other name? I think that would hold for the Rangers in Bree, and Aragorn and Halbarad both know it.

Do the Rangers have the reputation of molesting chambermaids?

Couple of wild-looking young men, new to the area and profession, come in from who knows how long in the cold...? Fair warning, let's say. ;-P

*lol* All about long legs, isn't it?

Yes, yes it is...

Thank you very much, Dwim. I really loved it.

You're welcome!

Marta!

Late, of course.

The form of these first two are all Marastar's fault, and they're not so much an overall culture difference as they are the difference between two people of those cultures.

The sun glares off white
stone; the mountain overwhelms
and speaks not to me.
Oh, for the bay and the cool
soothing song of Amroth's sea.

Gulls scream overhead
Waves crash, unruly
Acrid brine stings my
nose. Ah, for a mountain breeze,
or one glimpse of the White Tree.

And the form of this one is Rous' fault! It's a cinquain, and the form is five lines, in syllables of 2-4-6-8-2. It's my first, so I hope I did it right.
Er...and a bit darkish.

Horselords
Usurpers, thieves
murderers. We will take
what is ours. The Mark shall burn as
you weep.

For Tari

how about something for her with Haldir and Legolas????

It was also part of insta-drabble, using the words "mark, orders, wind, strength"

“Do you ever miss your mark, young prince?”

Legolas’s raised eyebrow was the only indication he heard the Marchwarden as he pulled his bowstring tighter. If he could ignore the voice of the wind singing in the trees after so many nights in the vile pit of Moria, he could ignore Haldir’s taunts.

“Your strength will fail you. You have weakened, taking orders from a mortal.”

With a twang, the bow released and Legolas spun on Haldir. Without glancing at the path of his arrow, he was sure of its target.

“You have failed, Haldir. I have bested you again.”

Marta.

Sorry to bother you, but I tried to read Alas, for the Singing of the Trees, but the words along the right margin are missing. Since I can no longer access it, I was wondering if you could email it to me. I really feel bad about this. I really want to read the whole thing.

Thank you so much, and Happy Birthday again.

Tari

P.S. Would you be willing to read my story to see if it is worthy of positng on this board?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum