Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: November 2005 Birthdays

November 2005 Birthdays

Welcome to all. The year is winding down.

If you have a November birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the November challenge.

Any questions, please ask.

RiverOtter
November 9, roh_wyn: Yay! My birthday is on November 9, and I love birthday presents! I'm obsessed with Gondor, so obviously something set in that land would be perfect. Something featuring Denethor and an adult Faramir being nice to each other would be great (and even better if they're somehow amused with each other).
Of course anything with Boromir or Imrahil works too! I'm not picky....

November 27, Edoras Lass : My birthday is November 27th, and I'm a bit indecisive. Look at this way -- lots of choices!
Imrahil - anything, but being piratey would be GREAT
Boromir interacting with Theodred (and slash is fine)
Something happy between Theodred and Theoden
OR
Rohirrim in general
Boromir in general

November 27, AranelTook:My birthday is November 27, too. (Apparently a most excellent day for birthdays).
I love hobbits. But especially Merry and Pippin, either best friends or slash. Because of my own stories, I can't stand any Diamond, though. Ick. But any other hobbits would be great. I'd love a schmoopy Sam/Rosie.
If you know my Ivyverse, anything from that would be great.
Merry/Éowyn is always welcome. ;-)

November 30, Ranger1 :
I'll be an age that isn't old if you are an Elf or a tree, so how about Elves and trees? What did Legolas and Treebeard finally talk about and for how long? How did the Elves make fires, fallen branches? Did Elrond have a special friendship with the trees of Revendell? Or create your own.

Re: November 2005 Birthdays

Me me, oh me!

My birthday is November 27th, and I'm a bit indecisive. Look at this way -- lots of choices!

Boromir interacting with Theodred (and slash is fine)
Something happy between Theodred and Theoden
OR
Rohirrim in general
Boromir in general
Thanks!

Yay! My birthday is on November 9, and I love birthday presents!

I'm obsessed with Gondor, so obviously something set in that land would be perfect. Something featuring Denethor and an adult Faramir being nice to each other would be great (and even better if they're somehow amused with each other).

Of course anything with Boromir or Imrahil works too! I'm not picky....

Happy Birthday, roh_wyn...

Not quite Denethor or Faramir - but a little look from Boromir's perspective... you said you're not too picky!  Hope this triple drabble works for you!

A Tribute to Gimli

I put my hand on his shoulder.  Not to pull him away from the tomb.  Not to bid him stand and prepare to fight.  But to somehow say, 'I know what you feel.' 

Some wonder why warriors cry.  I do not.  I never question such a thing.  Gimli's tears do not surprise me.  I have lived with tears my whole life. 

So I comfort him in the way a man does, a fellow warrior.  I know he understands, for he does not pull away.  His shoulder loses some of its tension.  It slumps.  I have allowed him to grieve. 

Sometimes, a warrior needs permission to grieve.  Balin's Tomb supercedes every need or want that came before this moment.  It is terrible in its telling, haunting in its silent cry, wicked in its evil end.  The horror of it is silence and dust and bones bereft of flesh.

Tears fall from my eyes.  I did not even know this warrior.  Gimli's witness of grief is enough to give me permission to cry, to share in his grief.  One warrior for another.  It will not be the last time. 

My esteem for Dwarves raised the moment Gandalf's staff lit the halls of Dwarrodelf.  Never had I seen such a city before. 

It seems the essence of Middle-earth lies in its vastness.  The men of Gondor crafted huge statues, the Argonath; towering cities, Minas Tirith, Minas Isil; and a great civilization. 

So, too, I have now discovered, did the Dwarves.  The size of it astounds.  From such little creatures.  The magnitude of it I find unsettling.  Would Gondor be built if we had been such?

I will look differently upon my Dwarven friend.  Gimli seems to recognize this as he stands, nods his head to me, and clutches his axe.  We battle together.

November 30, Ranger1:
I'll be an age that isn't old if you are an Elf or a tree, so how about Elves and trees? What did Legolas and Treebeard finally talk about and for how long? How did the Elves make fires, fallen branches? Did Elrond have a special friendship with the trees of Revendell? Or create your own.

My birthday is November 27, too. (Apparently a most excellent day for birthdays).

I love hobbits. But especially Merry and Pippin, either best friends or slash. Because of my own stories, I can't stand any Diamond, though. Ick. But any other hobbits would be great. I'd love a schmoopy Sam/Rosie.

If you know my Ivyverse, anything from that would be great.

Merry/Éowyn is always welcome. ;-)

Aranel Took

Schmoopy...what's schmoopy Precious?

Vistula
Who *thinks* she knows but isn't certain enough to commit to an answer (or a drabble).

Re: November 2005 Birthdays - Ranger 1

Funnily enough, I was thinking about Legolas visiting the Old Forest just yesterday.  I'll have to get my drabble hat on again!

Jay

Old Man Willow - for Ranger1

Ranger1 wrote:  'I'll be an age that isn't old if you are an Elf or a tree, so how about Elves and trees? What did Legolas and Treebeard finally talk about and for how long? How did the Elves make fires, fallen branches? Did Elrond have a special friendship with the trees of Revendell? Or create your own.

Old Man Willow

Slowly, Legolas approached the willow.  Enchantment hung thickly in the air, but he was no stranger to enchantment and stepped between the long, trailing branches that hung into the water.  They seemed to twine around his feet and legs, and he pulled them free carefully before placing his hands against the tree gently.  Feeling a shiver run through it, he leaned closer, resting his head against the trunk; ignoring the twisting fronds that now attempted to wind around his neck.

He could feel the darkness at the heart of the ancient willow, a wellspring of loneliness and long abandonment.  His heart wept for the tree's sorrow, and softly he began to sing.   A shudder ran through the tree as his song continued, and he felt the coils wrapped around his throat slowly loosen and fall away.

Still he sang. 

Finally he felt the tree stirring and waking beneath his touch, and a soft, whispering voice drifted through his mind.

" … elf? …"

"Aye, an elf,"  he thought back.  "You are no longer alone, my friend."

The trailing branches writhed again, lifting to brush gently against his face.  "Elf."   With a sigh, the willow shivered in contentment, and slept again.

Happy birthday, Ranger1!

Jay

Schmoopy...what's schmoopy Precious?

'Schmoopy' is overwhelmingly cute/cuddly/romantic. (The term apparently originated on 'Seinfeld'.)

I use schmoopy because it covers so much: a romantic Sam/Rosie or a cuddly-family-time Sam/Rosie or cute-shy-courting Sam/Rosie...

Schmoopy is an awesome word.

Aranel

November 9, roh_wyn: Yay! My birthday is on November 9, and I love birthday presents! I'm obsessed with Gondor, so obviously something set in that land would be perfect. Something featuring Denethor and an adult Faramir being nice to each other would be great (and even better if they're somehow amused with each other).

I tried for an adult Faramir, but I hope you will settle for him being just a bit younger. 

Hope your birthday is very happy! 

Party Politics

She was not completely unattractive; dull eyes, unnaturally red lips over yellowish teeth, but breasts trussed high and opulent in the scoop of her neckline.  A head shorter, she stood too close and Boromir, of necessity, stared down her cleavage while they spoke.

Faramir smothered a grin, and laid a hand on Denethor's arm.  "Take pity on him.  Call him away with an urgent message."

"Boromir works to win concessions from her family."  Denethor looked Faramir over thoughtfully and smiled at his younger son. "A man, indeed.  Ask her to dance."

"Me, sir?"

"Did you not want to rescue Boromir?" 

Gwynnyd 

Happy Birthday, roh_wyn...

Wow. I managed Denethor nice to adult Faramir. Surely I hear a Nazgul singing "Copacabana".

Happy Birthday!

No Occasion

Faramir looked at his father in surprise. “What’s this?” he asked.

“I should think that you, of all people, would recognize a book when you saw it,” Denethor replied.

Faramir half-chuckled. “I meant, what is the occasion?”

“Must there be an occasion?” Denethor asked. “I thought that perhaps you might have use for this volume.”

Faramir looked at the spine, and didn’t know what to say. “Thank you, Father,” he said at length.

“Use it wisely,” Denethor said, and as he left, Faramir realized that his father was suppressing laughter.

Faramir opened the book tenatively. Poems For Wooing Young Ladies. Dreadful title, and insipid poetry. Faramir grinned; he should have realized that his father would have noticed the way Hurin’s young daughter had been flirting with him.

Re: Happy Birthday, roh_wyn...

Don't give the Nazgul a lounge singer job yet. I could read NO OCCASION as Denethor being snide to Faramir; subtly conveying his opinion that Faramir couldn't come up with a decent poem himself, or that insipid poems were good enough for Faramir's use.

But that's just me. Good job, EL, either way.

Yay! Wonderful presents...thank you, all.

A4G: loved what you did with Boromir. I've also seen him as having great empathy for his fellow soldiers and I think you captured that really nicely in this piece.

Gwynnyd and EL: that's just how I pictured Denethor interacting with a young adult/teen Faramir. Unlike most people, I don't assume that Denethor spent every hour of every day being snide and hateful to Faramir...or that Faramir spent all his time resenting his father and being all angsty. There has to have been some semblance of a normal relationship between them. In my mind, this is exactly how they'd interact....in a subtle and slightly humorous way. Great job, both of you!

Thank you everyone for my lovely b'day pressies!

For Roh_wyn

Eight Weeks—for roh_wyn

This was inspired by a short scene from Altariel's Adrift: Boromir once tried to grow a beard. It took Faramir and Denethor eight weeks of being "quite without mercy" to get him to shave it off.

Hope this fits the bill, roh_wyn!

Dwim

Week One

"Oh come now!"

Boromir dismounted, shaking his head as he handed off the horse and turned to his brother. One hand tucked beneath an elbow, the other rubbing at his brow with its frown line, Faramir stood grinning broadly.

"It's four months and a summer's campaign since last we met, and this is my greeting? 'Oh come now'?" Boromir grumbled, though he, too, smiled as he pulled his brother into an embrace.

"And I'm glad to see you. But you cannot keep that!" Faramir chucked his brother's new-bearded chin.

"Who's to say nay?" Boromir retorted.

"Father," came the prompt reply.

Week Two

He'd thought Faramir's bluff called, for their father greeted Boromir with his usual restrained affection, and without comment upon the beard. Peaceful, busy days followed, as Boromir burrowed through the many reports Denethor gave him. Faramir's daily jibes seemed a pleasant distraction, comparatively.

One evening, over a chess match, Denethor reached into a pocket and produced a slim, metal case and slid it to him.

"What's this?" Boromir asked.

"Your chess game I cannot improve, but it seems you're apt to lose other things as well," his father replied. Boromir opened it, and gazed upon himself.

It was a mirror.

Week Three

It began with his comb. One morning, he'd gone to his washroom and reached for it, only to find a razorblade had taken its place. The next morning, it'd been the washbasin itself. The third day, his scissors.

Clearly, the immediate culprit was his esquire. While Boromir wouldn't put it past his brother to invade his quarters, Faramir was both captain and lord's son: he knew the value of delegation and plausible deniability.

But given Denethor's habit of coming to Faramir's assistance whenever his brother began needling him at breakfast, he wondered whether there weren't three involved in this plot...

Week Four

Yuletide would bring Gondor's lords and the battle for the kingdom's budget to Minas Tirith. Thus increasingly, Boromir passed his evenings with brother and father, arguing strategy.

"The trouble," Faramir opined one night, "is that we need the appearance of sincerity to match the truth of need. Yet Father they mistrust for his motives, whereas they'll mistrust me for my reserve, and Boromir for his beard."

Silence. Boromir sighed. Faramir smiled. Denethor shook his head.

But to Boromir's dismay, the Steward said, wryly, "'A bearded face has much to hide.' So Proverbs of the Sindar has it. Pressing on...?"

Week Five

"'T'isn't that I have anything against the Dwarves," Faramir replied. "Far from it, I'd like to learn more of them, but they've so peculiar a sense of propriety, 'tis courting scandal to question one."

"Yet you cannot deny," Boromir retorted, "that they were willing to speak to Pengolod, else we'd not have his treatise on this very subject available to us."

"Granted, but brother," Faramir persisted, "if we accept the Dwarves' account of the meaning of the beard, I worry that even should we see you wed, we'd see no heirs forthcoming!"

Boromir glowered. Finally: "Look, Cirdan has a beard..."

Week Six

His move. Boromir advanced a captain. "Father," he said, as Denethor leaned forward, resting his elbows upon the table and his chin upon folded hands as he surveyed the board; "Might I ask you something?"

"Of course," Denethor murmured absently, still engrossed in study.

"I understand Faramir's motives in all this nonsense over beards the past several weeks—brothers are naturally perverse in such matters. But you, sir..." Boromir shook his head. "I cannot guess your reasons."

Grey eyes lifted, considering him a moment. Then: "You assume my motives are different? Interesting," his father mused, and moved a knight. "Checkmate."

Week Seven

"Brother, will you not heed me? It is simply a fact," Faramir argued, "that the worst sort of women find beards attractive."

Boromir snorted. "Faramir, we've met the worst sort of women, and they are courtiers. I have not noticed they are much put off by my not having one."

"But you have seen them cluster about men who have them. They think such unsophisticated and easy."

"Those are courtesans, not courtiers!"

"What difference? A kingdom or a coin, is it not all a matter of bribery in the end for such?" Faramir retorted, then smiled. "Think on it, Boromir."

Week Eight

The Yuletide court arrived with a dusting of snow and a swirl of color as Gondor's lords and ladies descended upon Minas Tirith. The ladies especially came in droves, since both the Steward's sons were in attendance, and the bolder women considered the widowed Steward still quite eligible.

But as usual, most attention went to Boromir, who arrived in black and silver finery... and beardless.

"Success," Faramir remarked, as he and Denethor stood watching Boromir waltz with Forlong's eldest daughter.

"Indeed," Denethor replied, then raised his glass. "A well-laid campaign." Glasses clinked, and smiling, father and son drank to victory.

Re: November 2005 Birthdays - Edoraslass

November 27, Edoras Lass : My birthday is November 27th, and I'm a bit indecisive. Look at this way -- lots of choices!

Ohh, what a good excuse to write pirately Imrahil! Good choice! I had fun with this, so I hope you enjoy it. And many, many thanks go to Tanaqui who did the beta and helped make it much better.

All in a Day's Work

The Farmer

The wind blew past the fields towards the village. Between the noise of the plough and the harness's jingle and creak, Beleg only noticed the alarm bell in the quiet after it stopped. Fingers fumbling in haste, he unbuckled the traces and swung onto the horse. He crested the hill and saw the Corsair ship passing the encircling arms of the bay, its black sail rising. Men lay in the street on dark damp stains and old women wailed.

The Prince kept a garrison not two leagues south. Wrenching the horse around onto the road, he kicked for a gallop.

The Merchant's Factor
As soon as the broad-beamed cargo ship made port, the Prince commandeered her. When the merchant's factor arrived, he found marines tossing bales and jars into haphazard piles on the dock.

"Stop them! That's no way to offload!"

A hard-faced knight pushed him away from the gangplank. "They only make room amidships for themselves. We need to keep this tub balanced to get all the speed she can muster.

The factor wrung his hands. "She could be fully unloaded quite quickly."

"Nah. Rich and easy targets ride low. She's fine as she is. You'll be compensated if aught goes amiss."

The Captain
The ship wallowed and drifted. In thirty-five years at sea, he'd never looked such a fool. Neither the old storm-tattered sail hoisted to hide the marines nor the incompetently wielded oars gave his lady any headway. He felt the rowers' growing frustration. Each time they began to pull in their usual smooth rhythm, a clout from a marine would stagger them back out of time, risking broken oars and broken heads. Was the dark sail turning towards them? Surely, even to Corsairs, they must look too much like a trap.

The Prince used the Captain's spyglass. "They've taken the bait."

The Marine
A Corsair sail should be black, but the young marine peering out through the white, ragged sail saw this one looked a streaked and faded grey. Clutching his knife and keeping a hand on his sword, he watched the flurry of activity on the Corsair as the mast was dropped and stowed. Gleaming oars hit the water. A drum pounded out a quick, steady pulse. The enemy ship picked up speed, heading straight for the wallowing merchantman. He tried to scrabble backwards. "They're going to ram us!"

The Prince smiled a wolfish grin. "Steady, boy. They won't sink a prize."

The Archer
He kept a firm grip on the bow, but the arrow lightly nocked, as he gauged the wind and the roll of the ships. The heave of the swell blocked his view of the southron scum lining the rail, before bringing them into range again.

"They'll expect some resistance."

"Aye. I can give them that." He raised his bow and drew.

The Prince's cautionary hand stayed him.

"They are slavers. I'll not rain death down on our own chained to the oars. See your arrows fall short or hit their target."

The archer spat over the side. "I'll waste none."

The Knight
The grapples bit into the merchantman with an uneven series of thuds. Rowers dropped their oars and sawed at the ropes with knives. The knight, crouched in the shadow of the sail, heard the shrieks of women and the wails of frightened children from the hold of the Corsair.

Discipline held. The marines stayed motionless and silent waiting for their moment. As the ships noisily grated together, the Corsairs surged over the rail, bellowing their rage and hatred.

"Now!"

In seconds, practiced hands unstepped the mast and dropped it, and the enveloping sail, over the pirates. "Out cutlasses, and board!"

The Prince
The fight was short and bloody. Imrahil, leaping the gap between the ships, felt only satisfaction as his sword stabbed, slashed and dripped red. He pulled his blade from the Corsair captain and surveyed his prize. The rowers were already being released from their chains, and the women and children from their bonds. Soon they would be home.

As his men tipped the slavers' corpses overboard, the scent of southron spices wafted from the hold. Imrahil ran his hands over the polished rail of the captured Corsair ship and grinned. Repainted, she would be a worthy addition to his fleet.

Happy Birthday!

Gwynnyd

Happy early birthday, EdorasLass

Falls under "Rohirrim in general"

Dwim

Dances with Horses

"Escaped, have you?" Éomer started guiltily, tearing his eyes from the spectacle to glance up at his cousin, who spoke reprovingly over the drums' beat and fire's roar.

Éomer had crept from Meduseld to watch the boys' sport. He'd seen them during Harvest celebrations, vaulting horses in the square, but his nurse wouldn't pause.

"Reckless young fools," she'd grumbled.

Théodred was frowning now and Éomer pleaded, "I only wanted to see—"

"Do, you mean," Théodred corrected. Éomer hung his head. But suddenly, his cousin laughed, clapped his shoulder, and said, "Nothing closer to flying. Tomorrow, cousin. Now—to bed!"

Glad you liked it! I have a sneaking suspicion that Denethor's sense of humour would be hard to spot unless you'd spent a great deal of time around him.    He doesn't strike me as a LOL kind of guy.

*squeeeeee*
I just had a total fangurl attack, Gwynnd! This is great Dread Pirate Imrahil action! Exactly what I had in mind when I came up with the request -- thank you so much! 

Re: Happy early birthday, EdorasLass

Well, of course he'd sneak out to watch that! I know I would! Thank you, Dwim -- I love these two together! And I like Theodred's trying-to-be-disapproving-then-caving.

I am so glad you liked it! I was afraid that having Imrahil fighting pirates would be a disappointment. But he's a good guy! I couldn't have him ravaging the Corsair coast!

I must confess, and give an SP( shameless promotion of someone else), that Michael Longcor's sung version of Kipling's "Ballad of the Clampherdown" was runnng through my speakers as I was writing. That's wonderful piratey inspiration.

Clampherdown MP3 sample

Excerpts;

It was our war-ship Clampherdown,
Swung round upon the tide,
Her two dumb guns glared south and north,
And the blood and the bubbling steam ran forth,
And she ground the cruiser’s side.

“Captain, they cry, the fight is done,
They bid you send your sword.”
And he answered, “Grapple her stern and bow.
They have asked for the steel. They shall have it now;
Out cutlasses and board!”

It was the crew of the Clampherdown
Stood out to sweep the sea,
On a cruiser won from an ancient foe,
As it was in the days of long ago,
And as it still shall be.

Steal from the best, I always say!

Gwynnyd

Kipling has always been one of my favorite authors. I have a book with all his poems. Among my favorite books of his are: 'Puck of Pook's Hill' and 'Rewards and Fairies.' its sequel. They are about a group of kids and Puck who introduces them to various people in English history. Each person tells his story plus there is usually a poem as well.

Stealing is a fine form of flattery. Call it research instead.

RiverOtter

You're welcome, EL. I think Théodred was secretly playing the reproving adult, waiting until it'd made an impression before admitting understanding. Someone has to keep Éomer in line, after all... ;-)

BTW, your own drabble for roh_wyn--nice work. I was trying to make a similar scenario work out, with Boromir deliberately writing crapulous poetry to try and push the girl off, but it wasn't going to go. Nice to see that idea redone in a different (and drabble-length!) way.

Dwim

Re: For Roh_wyn

Dwim-

Loved Eight Weeks! It's like getting eight little birthday presents when you only asked for one!

That Denethor and Faramir would be strategic thinkers makes perfect sense, but it's a nice touch to have them working strategically for a common goal...even one as silly as getting Boromir to shave! Great job....

I was afraid that having Imrahil fighting pirates would be a disappointment.

Ummm....no. The words "Imrahil" "fighting" and "pirates" just make me all happy inside.

Someone has to keep Éomer in line, after all... ;-)

Hee heee....and his sister would be sneaking out with him.

Boromir deliberately writing crapulous poetry to try and push the girl off...

Oh, I'd love to see what crap poetry Boromir would come up with!

Thanks!

Oh, I'd love to see what crap poetry Boromir would come up with!

I'd like to see that too...

But I have a sneaky suspicion that Boromir's poetic sensibilities run more to things like There was a girl from Nantucket....

Happy early birthday, Aranel

Don't usually write hobbits by themselves, but I've always wondered about this moment...

Dwim

Conspirators

Bilbo was humming.

Merry held his breath. Huddled under a hall stand, he waited, peering beneath the tablecloth. Abruptly, crockery shattered, and there came a distinct "Ow!"

The humming ceased. Merry saw a blur of feet as Bilbo left his study, but not 'til he heard Pippin's voice—"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!"—and Bilbo's reply—"No great harm done. Unless you're hurt, lad?"—did he slip from hiding into the study.

Once within, he made straight for the desk, and the coveted, forbidden volume. Well done, Pippin! he thought, as, opening the Red Book, he began to read...

Re: For Roh_wyn

That Denethor and Faramir would be strategic thinkers makes perfect sense, but it's a nice touch to have them working strategically for a common goal...even one as silly as getting Boromir to shave! Great job

You're welcome, Roh_wyn! Glad you liked it. Naturally, they would come at even a silly matter strategically. I imagine they both looked back fondly on the game for many years...

Dwim

El: Oh, I'd love to see what crap poetry Boromir would come up with!

Roh_wyn: I'd like to see that too...

I couldn't actually write the poetry. The focus was on how Denethor and Faramir reacted to reading it, which was fun, but it didn't get me anywhere. The second Denethor called Boromir on his strategy, the gig was up without any graceful way out of the drabble.

For what it's worth, Faramir flat out told him that his poetry was "a white flag--nay, a bloody shirt in the night in a valley of orcs! It has 'decadent' written all over it!"

Dwim

Re: Happy early birthday, Aranel

Sneaky little hobbits! I love it!

Thank you, Dwim!

Happy Birthday, EdorasLass!

For EL, who wanted happy Théoden and Théodred.

=================================================

"Can I look yet?"

Théoden looked down at his small son. Théodred's eyes were squeezed shut, his nose wrinkled with the effort to not peek, because a birthday surprise wasn't the same if you peeked.

"Not quite yet," Théoden chuckled and guided the five-year-old further down the path to where Théodred's gift was waiting. They halted and he squeezed the boy's hand. "You may look now."

Théodred opened his eyes. "Oh!" he gasped, his face lighting up with joy. "Thank you, fæder!"

Théoden smiled and picked up his son to set him on the back of his very own pony.

Re: Happy Birthday, EdorasLass!

Oh...head...exploding ....from the cute!  

Thank you, Aranel! It's so difficult to find (or write, for that matter) these two in a happy moment!

Re: November 2005 Birthdays - Aranel Took

November 27, AranelTook:My birthday is November 27, too. (Apparently a most excellent day for birthdays).
I love hobbits. But especially Merry and Pippin,

Happy Birthday! A Merry and Pippin moment just for you.

Just Deserts

"I might as well have stayed in bed."

Pippin kicked the tent stakes. Ithilien beckoned beyond the camp, but he had been confined to bed until that morning.

"I don't mind serving at the feasts, Merry, and I want to assist the kings, but why are we waiting outside now?"

Merry shrugged.

At last they were ushered in front of the thrones. Aragorn and Éomer stood.
Aragorn addressed the assembled captains of Rohan and Gondor. "It is our opinion that these esquires have proved valiant, skilled, and worthy of the accolade of knighthood. Kneel, Peregrin."

"Kneel, Meriadoc," added Éomer, smiling.

Hope you pass the Old Took someday!

Gwynnyd

Re: November 2005 Birthdays - Aranel Took

Yay! My brave hobbits! :-)

Thank you, Gwynnyd!

Happy Belated Birthday, EdorasLass!

EdorasLass wanted Piratey Imrahil - you wanted him, you have him.  Well, sort of .  With apologies to Gilbert & Sullivan.

OF CAPTAINS AND KINGS

For I am a Pirate King!

And it is, it is a glorious thing

To be a Pirate King!

-W.S. Gilbert, The Pirates of Penzance-

"Stand down, invader!" cried the Corsair king, glowering down at the hero of Gondor.

"Nay, foul Corsair!" The bold captain held his ground, and his trusty blade. "This night you and your fleet perish, never to trouble Gondor again!"

"Hah, scurvy knave!" laughed the pirate, with an evil grin. "I am descended from Castamir himself, and I will not yield to you. What is your name and lineage, that I may know whose head I take?"

"I am Thorongil, Captain of Gondor, your bane! Now come forth and die!" With that, the brave Captain raised his sword, and fell upon his foe…

And chuckled, as the 'Corsair' seized him and raised him high in the air, whirled him around and then set him down, becoming once more his Uncle, and he a boy with a light wooden sword. No longer did they seem to stand upon the quays of faraway Umbar, but on the docks of Belfalas on a summer evening. The harbor was filled not with the burning ships of the Corsairs, but the vessels of Dol Amroth and those lands with which it peacefully traded.

"Uncle, was the captain of the Havens really of Castamir's line?" asked the youngest champion of Gondor.

"Yes, or at least so he said. I stood second to Thorongil on that raid, and saw their battle. The Corsair sought to cow our Captain with talk of kingly blood. Thorongil cared not, he was a fighter born, and a proud and lordly man, despite his unknown lineage."

"Castamir was no true King! He was cruel, and brought strife to Gondor." The boy declared. "Thorongil's blood must have been higher than his."

"I always thought Thorongil was part-Elf; for I have never seen a Man move so lightly and swiftly," mused Imrahil. "But come, my young Captain; I see Boromir waving, doubtless we are called to return home for dinner."

Faramir sighed, then sheathed his small sword and skipped along beside his uncle. "Will you watch us tomorrow? Boromir wants to be Thorongil, so I must play the Corsair Captain."

"Certainly." Imrahil promised, and was rewarded by a smile from his seven-year-old nephew. "But when you face your brother tomorrow, know that it can be a glorious thing, to play at being a pirate king. I will teach you some of the very words the Corsair shouted, in the Umbari variant of Adunaic, oaths to curdle the blood. Boromir will be impressed."

"Truly?" Faramir questioned. "Can you teach me the Corsair tongue this night? I would rather be Thorongil, but if I must be a pirate king, I should speak as one. Mayhap, if the Corsairs ever rise, they would hear me speak their king's oaths and yield."

I pray that it shall be so, Faramir." Imrahil replied. When the Corsairs sailed again, surely no oath would suffice to turn back their ships. Yet an odd shiver prickled the back of his neck, like the flutter of a great black sail or a mighty banner.

I don't think I'm the first to have Imrahil have joined Thorongil's raid on Umbar; but I can't remember the name of any particular fanfic where I saw it done; so if any of you know, please tell me; so if that's where I got the idea, I can credit where credit is due.

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, EdorasLass!

Pirate!Imrahil AND Uncle!Imrahil all at once? *fangurl attack* Excellent!
Oh, this is great fun, Raksha! It does sound like something Imrahil would do, playing Corsair to Faramir'sThorongil ...and teaching Faramir how to swear in Adunaic. And of course Faramir with his endless questions, and Imrahil very patiently answering them.
Just wonderful. Thank you so so much!

EL

So glad you liked the piece, EL! I must confess to now visualizing Kevin Kline of about 15 years ago as Imrahil. I think Imri must have thoroughly enjoyed buckling a swash while playing the Pirate King with his young nephew; and his having been a witness to the actual raid would make him a coveted treasure-house of knowledge to Faramir and Boromir.

Do you think Faramir sounds like a bright seven-year-old boy? I could slightly adjust his age if need be, to fit the dialogue. Please be honest; you write children so wonderfully, and your knowledge of them is far greater than mine...

RAKSHA, hoping JRRT isn't rollin over too hard in his grave, the poor fellow

his having been a witness to the actual raid would make him a coveted treasure-house of knowledge to Faramir and Boromir.

Heeee! They probably made him tell the story over and over and over...Imrahil probably got sick of it before they did!

Do you think Faramir sounds like a bright seven-year-old boy?

I think he sounds a little advanced for his age, but I also think he should. I've always thought of Faramir as a rather precocious child. And the dynamic between the two is just wonderful!

For Ranger1 from Tanaqui

Ranger1 : I'll be an age that isn't old if you are an Elf or a tree, so how about Elves and trees?

Hi Ranger1!

Tanaqui (Liz) couldn't find an email address for you, and you're not set up to receive email through HASA, so I'm posting on her behalf the drabble that she wrote for you. Happy Birthday!

Hidden heirs

Legolas runs his palm over ancient white bark: here, wrinkled like waves on waters far out to sea; there, mounded into knots, as breakers on an island shore. These branches have long shielded the hopes of a people through many dark years, defiant even in their fading.

Turning from the carefully uprooted tree, he regards its triumphant scion. Beneath its skin, smooth to his touch, he can feel the sap singing, rising skywards. To the Elf, it is like the Man now patiently, lovingly firming the soil around it. He knows Gondor will flourish under the sheltering arms of both.

Re: November 2005 Birthdays -Ranger1

November 30, Ranger1 :

Sorry it is late, but this way your birthday lasts longer.  Hope the day was very happy one!

Farther Afield

Thranduil often found odd things on his doorstep - poisonous spiders, Nazgûl, twelve dwarves, invisible Hobbits, incognito kings of men, Gollum - very little disconcerted him.  Little, but not nothing. His son's friends. The dwarf was bad enough, but he could at least be properly fêted and was comfortable in the underground caverns that were home to Thranduil's people.  

He bowed gravely to the Ent, as tables were dragged into the courtyard for a welcoming feast.

"Beautiful trees you have in this forest, but too wild," Bregalad said. "Are you sure no Entwives passed by an Age and more ago?"

Gwynnyd

Re: November 2005 Birthdays -Ranger1

I love the list of things that have turned up on poor Thranduil's doorstep!

Jay

All in a Day's Work

I really like the way you used those drabbles to tell many little stories from different perspectives, yet could string them all together to form a continuing, comprehensive overall story. Nice technique!

Imhiriel

Re: November 2005 Birthdays - Ridiculously belated for Edoraslass

Finally, I got it together!

I'm still not entirely satisfied- drabbles aren't my strong point- but I can bear for you to see it now.

Be careful what you wish for

They had both been sitting on the floor, watching Faramir, who had been carefully arranging blocks on the rug, in the meticulous nature of the very young. Or, come to that, the meticulous nature of Faramir.

After a while, Theodred had said:

“He is not so very much fun after all, is he?”

“He is not so bad,” Boromir had said. “What did you expect? He is only a baby.”

“I do not know, do I? I thought it was fun to have a brother, is it not?”

Faramir had looked up from his blocks.

“You may play, if you would,” he said. “Do you like blocks in Rohan?”

Now the shouts and shrieks had been going on in the passageway for well nigh twenty minutes, and showed no sign of abating. In fact they were coming closer, and Boromir could hear the words:

“Let it go, you horrible ugly dirty little boy-girl!”

What came next was not so clear, all Boromir heard was:

na-annannanywayIantgontananyouawaysgeddagoannannannawayesNOT FAIR!

Having long given up trying to listen to Theoden’s advisor’s toadying drivel, Boromir was left to wonder if Theodred had yet come to explain what Boromir would once have explained to him.

Re: November 2005 Birthdays - Ridiculously belated for Edoraslass

come to that, the meticulous nature of Faramir.

Haaaaa...so true. I'm surprised he offered to let them play - they might mess up his system!

“He is not so very much fun after all, is he?”
*snerk*

shouts and shrieks had been going on in the passageway for well nigh twenty minutes

Oh my - I might rather listen to Grima than to those two fighting! At least Grima probably keeps his voice nice and low.

I hope Boromir's laughing his head off on the inside -- I would be!

Thank you, Soubie! And I don't mind belated gifts at all - it makes a nice surprise!

EL

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum