Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: June 2006 Birthdays

June 2006 Birthdays

Welcome to all. Nothing is is fine as a day in June.

If you have a June birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the June challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

RiverOtter
2nd, Gwynnyd My birthday is June 2. I'm still predictable. I like Aragorn; a political Aragorn. Show him coping with diplomatic difficulties in the North or South, early or late in his life, traveling the deserts or in Rivendell or Gondor. If politics is not your thing, I am always in the mood for a nice romantic Aragorn. (no slash, please)

5th, Ti'ana Luthien: I'd like something about Galadriel and Celeborn. Something *nice* or maybe even humorous...just keep it G-rated, please.

14th, Evil's Hero: I'd love anything about Glorfindel, Ecthelion or Maglor - any length, any genre, slash, het or non-romance/couple.

17th, Linawen: I would love to have something about Boromir (yes, predictable, but I never tire of him!) I like my Boromir living, doing something noble, being a good friend to Hobbits, having an adventure with Faramir, or gaining a better understanding of Aragorn. No slash, please!

Re: June 2006 Birthdays

Hi y'all,

It's my birthday on June 14th

I'd love anything about Glorfindel, Ecthelion or Maglor - any length, any genre, slash, het or non-romance/couple.

Thanks!

Curuevo

Hi!

I feel as if I should catch up with the birthday requests in the last few months before I have the temerity to ask for one of my own, but I plead that the 'drabble' I am writing for Allie's March birthday is now at 7,000 words and still growing. (hmm... I wonder if I can make it 10,000 words exactly and have it be a drabble of drabbles. hmmmm)  I promise to go back and catch up later!

My birthday is June 2.  I'm still predictable.  I like Aragorn; a political Aragorn.  Show him coping with diplomatic difficulties in the North or South, early or late in his life, traveling the deserts or in Rivendell or Gondor. If politics is not your thing, I am always in the mood for a nice romantic Aragorn. (no slash, please)

Thank you! 

Gwynnyd 

Drabble for Gwynnyd

Here in Germany it's just past Midnight, and as I'm away for the next few days, I post my drabble for you now. Happy Birthday, Gwynnyd!

Imhiriel

Justice

The man was still haggard, careworn and wary, flinching when a guardsman's swordhilt clanged against his armour.

Aragorn's eyes never left the other's, letting him see all he was feeling: compassion, belief in the future, hope for trust.

"We will send what help you need, what help you want. Speak with the Steward, and my other councillors. Tell your people that if they want to stay, none will gainsay them. This land is yours, paid for in dear coin of blood, sweat, tears and pain – may it now yield a harvest for you and yours deserving of such a price."

A/N:

- "...and the slaves of Mordor he released and gave to them all the lands about Lake Núrnen to be their own." (RotK, The Steward and the King)

Re: Drabble for Gwynnyd

Oh, that's wonderful!

It's a moment I never imagined, and it's perfect.

Thank you!

Gwynnyd 

Hi

My birthday is June 5th and, moving outside of my usual fandoms, I'd like something about Galadriel and Celeborn. Something *nice* or maybe even humorous...just keep it G-rated, please

Cheers,

Ti

Re: June 2006 Birthdays - Gwynnyd

Tanaqui has sent me a birthday present of a drabble series that has both a political and a romantic Aragorn.

Read it here:  Dance Lessons

Thanks, Liz!

Gwynnyd 

Gwynnyd said:

My birthday is June 2. I'm still predictable. I like Aragorn; a political Aragorn.

Well, after nearly two years of conversing with you, politics just arenj't that simple anymore. Certainly not just 100 words. So here is a drabble series, as a late birthday present. :-)

"Welcoming the Lady"

I.

Faramir nodded across the courtyard, toward the cocksure lord in the crimson-and-navy hosen. "Look at the way Alcamir eyes her."

Gilandil, Aragorn's steward from the North, looked over at the man. "He is not the only one I have seen with that look. Why do your people hold Arwen in such low esteem? Arnor will rejoice at her wedding."

"Would that all Gondor felt the same," Imrahil said. "Too many see elves as wights, and would have the king's hand for their own daughters."

"But only one could marry him," Gilandil observed.

Imrahil shook his head sadly. "But she would still be one of us. To many, that still matters."

II.

"But what does it matter, truly?" Gilandi asked. "If they are so petty they would slight her… well, surely Gondor's most important sons can still recognize true worth?"

Faramir looked meaningfully toward the eastern horizon: now free of Orodruin's glow but still marked by imposing stone and harsh memories. "Gondor needs men, and coin to rebuild her land. Too many people would look for that in their king's intended."

"And too few remember their history," Imrahil added. "In Arnor the Rhudaurians and Cardolani broke faith with their king; we had none to forsake, and so our barbarians dwell inside our gates."

III.

"They are not all so unimportant." Húrin's lips twisted into a smirk. "I was Ecthelion's eyes and ears in Dol Amroth some years ago, when a stranger from the north led a raid on Corsair ships – a raid that these 'minor' lords' demands almost kept from happening. They can be strong, in numbers."

He looked directly at Aragorn, his eyes glinting mischievously. "Or do I lie, Thorongil?"

Faramir's jaw dropped. "That captain is you?"

Aragorn scowled. "Yes, I am him. I served your grandfather, and I suffered those fools' insults all too often– I would spare Arwen them if I could."

IV.

"Would that we were in Númenor," Faramir mused. "There, we could make her Queen in her own right, and no one would dare question her worth."

"Why can't we?" Imrahil asked.

"Because Gondor has never had a ruling queen," Húrin said. "And when Pelendur refused Firiel's claim—"

"A claim that I rejected," Faramir said. "Does that not mean…"

The men stood silent for a long moment. "It just might," Húrin said at last. "If Aragorn can inherit through Firiel's line, then I see little problem with a co-regent."

Aragorn smiled broadly. "Those fools will not argue the distinction. They won't deny themselves the honour they could finagle from this ceremony – or the wine."

Well, after nearly two years of conversing with you, politics just aren't that simple anymore. Certainly not just 100 words. So here is a drabble series, as a late birthday present.

It's closer to three than two years, Marta!  And I'm glad I've managed to 'corrupt' you in such a nice way.

Thank you so much for the lovely set of drabbles. There must have been a lot of maneuvering in the days before Arwen arrived, with everyone frantically sending for unmarried daughters and tossing them into the king's path.  I wonder when Aragorn thought to mention that his betrothed was arriving? It seems it was not until after the white tree was discovered at the earliest, so less than week in the best scenario.

I like the idea of Arwen as a ruling queen. I know you are working on a longer story set around the same ideas, and I am looking forward to reading it!

Gwynnyd 

Happy birthday, Gwynnyd!

My apologies for being two days late. I was out of town. My muse sometimes won't respond to birthday challenges, but when they involve Aragorn, she springs to life.

You asked for political or romantic Aragorn. I give you not just romantic, but sexy. And it's political, too, since the birth of an heir to the King is a highly political event. It's a drabble and a half.

Gandalfs apprentice

Work Detail

The Queen knelt on the bed beside her napping husband, who half-opened one eye and smiled sleepily.

"I have wide hips," she said.

His surprised mind struggled with this odd remark. He murmured, "Lovely they are, too. Your ankles are enchanting, and the rest, well…."

"Ankles? What have ankles to do with it?" she demanded, slowly drawing the covers from his naked shoulders.

"Aren't we discussing your beauty?" he asked, perplexed.

"Wake up, Estel," she said, laughing. "I've talked to the midwife, and she says I can bear a Man's child easily."

"You mean…." he began. Her tousled hair, glowing face and rosy breasts swelling beneath a half-laced gown drove away his sleep.

"Not yet," she said. Pulling the covers to expose his muscled chest and lean waist, she pressed her hand against his taut belly and trailed one finger through the dusting of curls. "You have work to do."

Re: Happy birthday, Gwynnyd!

You asked for political or romantic Aragorn. I give you not just romantic, but sexy.

Work Detail

Oh, snork and

This was terrific!  Arwenis such a stern task mistress, depriving him of his nap merely for pleasure and an heir. 

Thank you! 

Gwynnyd 

Gwynnyd:

You're very welcome. Your birthday requests are a pleasure to meet!

G.A. 

Re: Drabble for Gwynnyd

Oh, that's wonderful!

It's a moment I never imagined, and it's perfect.

I'm very happy you like my chosen moment - I always found it a pity that Tolkien packed so much of the immediate aftermath of Aragorn's crowning in such a short passage, with only short allusions to so many momentuous events.

Thank you!

You're very welcome!

Imhiriel

I have been absent for so long in my busy RW life, I am ashamed to request something for my birthday on the 17th. But maybe I will anyway, just in case! I would love to have something about Boromir (yes, predictable, but I never tire of him!) I like my Boromir living, doing something noble, being a good friend to Hobbits, having an adventure with Faramir, or gaining a better understanding of Aragorn. No slash, please!

Work Detail

Humorous and tingling all at one. Lovely description of their intimate relationship, GA!

Imhiriel

Thanks, Imhiriel. My drabble muse often doesn't like to get out of bed, but when it's Aragorn, she wakes right up.

G.A. 

I adored the 'wide hips' remark - it took me a moment - in fact quite a few to discern what she was speaking of - bless her heart for being concerned and bless the midwife for helping ease her heart.

And I love Aragorn's expected response - until he realized what she was talking about.

Hmm - I could really go for a little more of this... perhaps the next half hour or so?

Triple drabble, Gwynnyd and Linawen

Happy belated and early birthdays, Gwynnyd and Linawen. This is 300 words, so 150 for each of you? ;-)

Hope you enjoy!

Dwim

Strong Men

"Boromir," Gandalf said, and the Captain-General glanced up to find the wizard offering a flask.

"My thanks," Boromir replied, taking a swig from it. He was shivering still, though he had changed out of his wet clothes. But though dry, he was hardly warm, and weary already from the effort to clear a path off of Caradhras, even shivers were exhausting. The liquor burned pleasantly, and he took another sip ere handing it off to his companion, who was also huddled, chilled, in his cloak. Aragorn took a long pull at the flask ere giving it to Legolas, who immediately passed it to the hobbits.

Boromir, watching, frowned. "You ran up that drift?" he asked suddenly. Legolas nodded. "Twice?"

"Yes."

"And it never occurred to you to tunnel part of the way back?"

A mischievous glint shone in the elf's eyes. "Well, 'tis as I said: for ploughing snow, look to strong Men, whereas for going upon it—"

He was interrupted by a fistful of snow flung straight at his head, and then a booted foot lashed out, hooked about Legolas' ankle, and jerked back. Down he went, to land on his rump in a patch of snow. Everyone froze; Boromir glanced in some surprise at Aragorn, who called over to Gimli:

"Would you pass that back, please?"

And when the dwarf wordlessly approached and returned the flask, Aragorn took one more sip, then rose and proferred it to Legolas, who was brushing himself off. "And now that you are, indeed, upon it, you might as well join us strong Men and drink," the Ranger said pleasantly. There was a long, uncertain moment of silence among the Fellowship, ere Boromir's hearty laughter broke it.

"King's justice," he declared, raising an imaginary glass. And eyeing Aragorn particularly: "Your health, sire!"

*snork* Way to take one for the team, Aragorn. Poor guy, so much work to do.

Dwim

Re: Triple drabble, Gwynnyd and Linawen

Hi, Dwim

I love your Fellowship drabble for Gwynnyd and Linaewen--if I had any nominations left at MEFA, I'd nominate it. Great moment, and just what it should be.

G.A.

PS Are you going to take on the "Numenorean Death" challenge?

Dwim:

I'll certainly take 150 words as more than adequate! I gave out a good, loud giggle as I read this. That elf definitley needed taking down a peg or two that day.

Thank you!

Gwynnyd

Re: June 2006 Birthdays - LadyA

I know she wanted Legolas!  She's as predictable as I am and her birthday is June 13th.

For you, LadyA, Happy Birthday!

Too Many Choices

Raven's wing black reflecting blue.  Sunshine and moonlight.  Fields of ripe corn, promising bounty.  The deep, rich brown-red of chestnut hulls. 

The pale translucence of albaster, cool and inviting.  Warm as peaches, tawny, luscious, promising sweetness.  Dusky, deep and dark, revealing mysteries.

Tall and lithe, powerful, dancing in the moonlight hour upon hour.  Compact, generous, lush, soft.

Blue of cornflowers, sapphires, or clear summer skies.  Amber, always warm. 

Watching them dance, Legolas envied Aragorn; Arwen, once seen, always desired.  He turned away from the joy so certain that shone from their sea-grey eyes… The sea.  For himself, perhaps in Valinor.

Gwynnyd

Ahhhh! One of my very favorite parts of the tale -- Boromir and Aragorn forging a path in the snow on Caradhras! And Boromir laughing, too, lovely! What a fun way for the two Men to come to a better understanding of one another, and with the uncommon sight of an Elf caught off guard as the icing on the cake.

Thank you!

Hi G.A.,

Thanks! I had fun with this drabble.

Are you going to take on the "Numenorean Death" challenge?

The LACE fic I am working on (and working on, and working on...) might possibly fit a part of it. I'm not sure. I don't know that I see a direct comparison between Tolkien's views on suicide as a Catholic and Tolkien's writings on Numenorean 'giving back the gift'; they begin with different presuppositions about what death means, and those assumptions pretty much contradict each other. However, the general question of what it means to die in Middle-earth, as a Númenorean, as the opposite of 'clinging to life' - ok, that I can get into. Later.

At the moment, another of Isabeau's horrid rebounding nuzgul has sunk its fangs deep into a vein and is currently occupying the forefront of my fervid little brain. Assuming I prise its jaws open, I may be able to think of other things at some point...

Dwim

I gave out a good, loud giggle as I read this.

Yes! Mission accomplished!

That elf definitley needed taking down a peg or two that day.

Most definitely. I'm glad you liked it, Gwynnyd.

Dwim

Re: Triple drabble, Gwynnyd and Linaewen

One of my very favorite parts of the tale -- Boromir and Aragorn forging a path in the snow on Caradhras!

Serendipity strikes, then.

What a fun way for the two Men to come to a better understanding of one another, and with the uncommon sight of an Elf caught off guard as the icing on the cake.

It is a rare enough occasion, and far too tempting to let it pass by unwritten.

Best wishes for your birthdy!

Dwim

Happy Birthday, Gwynnyd!!! A birthday tribble....

"I was thinking of calling it 'Crossroads Village.' An upper scale establishment for Elves of every kind. We will move the statue of the king further up the road. I don't want to block the entranceway, and I would like to add an exit also onto the road. You wouldn't mind, would you? I want the traffic flow to be uninterrupted. Unless, of course, you decide to widen the road? That would be perfect. Perhaps put in a turn lane or two."

His friend's eyes looked glazed, but Legolas put that down to his awe of the project before him. He continued excitedly.

"I hope to have at least two fountains in the front of the property and another in the entranceway, probably supplied by the river that runs near Henneth Annûn. It is clear, clean water. I am sure you can spare a few troops, a battalion or two, to dig the pipe way? Cannot you just see it, Aragorn! Splendid, just splendid.

Aragorn still had not said a word.

"Once I have the marble outer wall built – we could get the Dwarves to mine it and bring it over, don't you think? Well, once that is in, I plan on building two separate units, probably one hundred suites in each, for a start. I must keep the Noldor and Sindar separated, you know. They can become contentious at times."

He sat back, a look of pure contentment on his Elven face.

At last, Aragorn spoke. "I did promise Ithilien to Prince Faramir."

"Of course you did," Legolas said magnanimously. "But he has the riverfront property. He will have his hands full developing that stretch of land. And you did promise me land."

Aragorn turned towards Arwen, who sat with her mouth open, and asked, "Who IS this Elf?"

THAT was excellent!!! I got chills at the ending!

Oh my!  

I was thinking of calling it 'Crossroads Village.' An upper scale establishment for Elves of every kind

snork!  giggle!

I think you ought to title this "Gated Community" LOL

Thank you!

Gwynnyd 

Re: June 2006 Birthday - Evil's Hero

14th, Evil's Hero: I'd love anything about Glorfindel, Ecthelion or Maglor - any length, any genre, slash, het or non-romance/couple.

I don't know enough about the First Age to write Ecthelion or Maglor, but Glorfindel stuck around. 

Happy Birthday!

Purpose

Elrond saw the Balrog-slayers together - Gandalf, Grey-no-longer, and Glorfindel, twice-born who had seen the light of the Trees - showing the same dazzling sheen as sun-sparked snow when even elvish eyes squint lest they be blinded.  But when he approached them, standing high on the walls of the White City facing the unshadowed Eastern skies, Glorfindel seemed drawn and faded.

"I came to Middle-earth again, yet I played no part in this victory."

Elrond laid Vilya-adorned hand on his friend's shoulder.  "You have more strength than strength of arms and many have relied on you through all this Age."

Gwynnyd

Strong Men

I very much like the interaction between the characters, and it's a very nice continuation of one of my favourite scenes in FotR.

Imhiriel

Agape, I sincerely hope that Legolas doesn't mean it seriously and is only teasing Aragorn ! It's a lovely, hilarious drabble, but it evokes an odd picture for me of Legolas as town planner...

Imhiriel

Drabble for Evil's Hero

My Glorfindel-Muse, although having produced 2 drabbles so far, generally keeps a low profile, and I couldn't come up with anything about Ecthelion. But your third choice gave me the opportunity to elaborate on a short allusion I make in a story I'm currently working on off-line. So thank you for that, Curuevo, and happy birthday to you!

Imhiriel

The Parting Gift  

Maglor turned the last tuning peg a fraction, strumming the string to test the pitch. Its pure tones filled his workroom. With sensitive fingers he glided over the frame, feeling for any tension now it was fully strung. Both satisfied and melancholy at being done, he exited, carefully cradling the instrument.

The twins were both already mounted, but Elrond lingered, waiting for him. Despite everything...

But for once, all words failed the greatest singer of the Noldor. He could only hand over his gift and hope that in the long years to come, the silver harp would speak for him.

A/N:

- "For Maglor took pity upon Elros and Elrond, and he cherished them, and love grew after between them, as little might be thought..." (Silm, Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath)
- "Elrond wore a mantle of grey and had a star upon his forehead, and a silver harp was in his hand..." (RotK, The Grey Havens).

Glad you liked it, Gwynnyd. I like 'Gated Community!' LOL

Again - Happy Birthday!!!

Re: June 2006 Birthday - Evil's Hero

Thank you!

I love this - Glorfindel is one of my fave characters, so I'm ever-so-slightly biased towards him ;)

And I love how Elrond comforts him with the knowledge that "You have more strength than strength of arms... since I like the considering of a Glorfindel-other-than-warrior-mode

Thanks!

Curuevo

Re: Drabble for Evil's Hero

But your third choice gave me the opportunity to elaborate on a short allusion I make in a story I'm currently working on off-line. So thank you for that, Curuevo Happy to help

And thank you for this lovely drabble - Maglor being my fave son of Feanor, I always love stories about him - and this is a lovely idea to elaborate on that quote

Plus, I love the emotion that's clear from him

Thank you

Curuevo

Drabble for Ti'ana

Hello Ti'ana, I'm sorry it's a bit late, but here's my drabble for you. Hope you enjoy it!

Imhiriel

The Lady's Gift

Celeborn's eyebrows rose at the sight before him. "What are you doing?"

Galadriel was on her knees in their bedchamber, rummaging through a chest of drawers, its contents strewn haphazardly around her.

"I'm searching for a present to give to Boromir!"

"Here? Would the armoury or a workshop not be more appropriate?"

"Perhaps. Yes. No."

Celeborn's eyebrows rose even higher.

Galadriel explained, "I just know the perfect gift: Remember what Arwen made in one of her more fanciful moods?" She displayed her find.

"Oh!" Celeborn looked enlightened. "Good idea – it didn't fit me anyway... And I'm certain Arwen wouldn't mind."

A/N:
- "...and she turned then to Boromir, and to him she gave a belt of gold..." (FotR, Farewell to Lórien)
- "One thing only I knew not: a fair belt, as it were of linked golden leaves, about his waist..." (TTT, The Window on the West)

Re: Drabble for Ti'ana

This was priceless. I was laughing as I read it. Amusing that Boromir's gift was made by Arwen 'in one of her more fanciful moods.'

RiverOtter

I know I already commented on this on the list, but thank you so much Imhiriel I was giggling as I read it - many thanks!!

~Ti

5th, Ti'ana Luthien: I'd like something about Galadriel and Celeborn. Something *nice* or maybe even humorous...just keep it G-rated, please.

Though late, may you still be happy.

Determination

Galadriel felt eyes on her and the bundle she held as she woke. Gently she handed the bundle to Celeborn. As he opened it, two small hands appeared, one took his finger, the other grabbed his hair.
“Good morning Celebrian.”
“You enjoy being a father.”
“Yes, but I cannot tell what you think of being a mother.”
Suddenly a vision of red streaks flowing down the side of a Swan-Boat staining water with bodies floating flashed before her, and vanished.
“Galadriel?”
“I only know that now I have someone I want to kill for.”
“Remember, my love, I am with you.”

Ranger1

Re: June 2006 Birthdays - Late for Gwynnyd

Hello Gwynnyd! Happy late birthday!!!

My muse managed to sneak out from where it was hiding and put together a quick drabble in honor of your special day. Hopefully better late than never.

I couldn't manage political Aragorn, but hope a little romance will suffice.

Cheers!!

Vistula

~~~~

Coquette

She beckons – demands attendance and wanton with hunger I obey.

Ivory fine, like the brush pressed into my hardened palm, she settles heedlessly between my tense thighs. With only two thin veils separating modesty from passion, I pray my thoughts do not betray us. Bound by desire I wonder: Is she immune to the flames that kindle my flesh?

As water to my fire, she speaks of history, our future and my name. Stroked by her voice I'm wanton no more, but wanting – craving more than silken skin and succulent lips.

Her coquetry has shaped this man into a king.

Happy Belated Birthday, Gwynnydd!

My birthday is June 2. I'm still predictable. I like Aragorn; a political Aragorn. Show him coping with diplomatic difficulties in the North or South, early or late in his life, traveling the deserts or in Rivendell or Gondor. If politics is not your thing, I am always in the mood for a nice romantic Aragorn. (no slash, please)

I started out to write a nice little double-or-triple-drabble.  Really!  But the story mutated.  It ended up as 1700 words; so I put in HASA Beta.  I'll link it here if I can figure out how. 

Gwynnedd, you wanted political or romantic Aragorn.  I give you both - in The Temptation of Hope.  Now in HASA Beta if I did it right (it's been awhile)

The Temptation of Hope

It's only second draft, and needs much more polishing before it's fit to post anywhere; but I didn't want you to wait to at least see that I'd done something (after you gave me one of my alltime favorite Faramir stories for my birthday - Fever Dreams)  Comments and advice are welcomed (please!)

RAKSHA

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Gwynnydd!

This is excellent. I enjoy gapfillers. This one sings with the use of the word and idea of hope. I like seeing Aragorn in the service of Gondor and realizing that he has to approach Arwen with the decision to let her know how he feels. The physical descriptions are good showing how different these three people look. Just a minor point, as I recall the scond sister died as an infant.

RiverOtter
PS If you want this beta edited when you have it polished, I'd be honored.

Re: June 2006 Birthdays - Quadrabble for Linaewen

Tharbad

"And that is why Hobbits are so fond of mushrooms!"

Boromir sat with his mouth open. "Never have I heard such a pack of lies. Oliphants do not like mushrooms!"

"How do you know?" Merry retorted.

"Now, now," Aragorn said, raising his hand to still the approaching argument. "It is my turn to tell a tale."

Pip sat forward, all ears.

"'Twas quite some time ago – I was on patrol on the outskirts of the southern Shire. There were reports of Dunlending activity. A small group of Rangers descended upon the area. I happened to get separated from my men." Aragorn ignored Boromir's snort. "I was following the river trying to find my way back, near the fords at Tharbad. The river becomes quite treacherous there."

"Is this a real story?" Merry asked testily.

"Come on, Merry," Pip interjected, "We didn't make any rules for this. He can tell a real story if he wants to."

Boromir interjected. "Does that you mean your Oliphant and mushroom story is made up?"

Aragorn harrumphed. "As I was saying, the river can be treacherous. As I went to cross, the current took my horse's legs out from under her and I went crashing down. I have never been so wet nor cold in my life!"

Pip whispered loudly, "He doesn't know how to tell a good story."

Sam nodded in agreement.

"Only a fool tries to cross that river. I have been near Tharbad. I myself crossed the river there on foot, leading my horse after me. She bolted when…"

"Go on, Boromir." Pip exclaimed.

"I think I have had enough of the telling of this tale." Boromir shifted uncomfortably.

"What happened there, Boromir?" Aragorn asked quietly.

"I would not speak words of what I saw there, not in this place of peace."

Galadriel stepped forward. "I have heard of your adventure at Tharbad, man of Gondor. The tale was written by one of our scribes. You had reported to Lord Elrond, when you arrived in Imladris and the tale was brought here. You are wise to speak no further of it.

The Hobbits were disappointed.

"If you would read of it, you may go to the library. My Elves will show you were it has been kept. Linaewen was the author, if I remember correctly. It is time now for rest."

Pip shrugged. "No one knows how to tell a good story!"

http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/stories/serial/110/index.html

I started out to write a nice little double-or-triple-drabble.  Really!

I know that feeling!  (says the woman with the history of looooong pseudo-drabbles)

Raksha!

This is wonderful!  Thank you so much!  You really managed to capture the characters.  I loved your Denethor and Finduilas, and bringing in the cloak was inspired.  Aragorn seeing their love and not settling on a dynastic alliance for himself was perfect. I'm so glad that Adrahil saw Thorongil's worth and thought him suitable for his daughter.

Well, off to read it again.  Thank you!

Gwynnyd 

Coquette

She beckons – demands attendance and wanton with hunger I obey.

<fans self> Is it hot in here or is it just me?

Oh my! That was marvelous.  Well worth waiting for. 

I especially love the line 'wanton no more, but wanting'.

Thank you! 

Gwynnyd (off to tackle her husband... oh, honey...) 

RiverOtter said: This was priceless. I was laughing as I read it. Amusing that Boromir's gift was made by Arwen 'in one of her more fanciful moods

Ti'ana said: but thank you so much Imhiriel I was giggling as I read it - many thanks

Thank you both! I was giggling myself while writing it. This belt made of golden leaves on a warrior like Boromir just begs the question why Galadriel chose this of all things as her gift for him!

Imhiriel

Re: June 2006 Birthdays - Quadrabble for Linaewen

Oh, this is so exciting!

Linaewen was the author, if I remember correctly.  

How wonderful to be in the story -- and an amazing story it is, too.  I love it that there is this friendly vying for who can tell the best story.  The hobbits would have thought Boromir's tale the best, perhaps, if he had decided to tell it, but I think he was wise to stop there, else the poor hobbits have nightmares after that!  I wonder if Boromir  dreamt of it afterwards...? 

Thank you for a lovely and very special quaddrable!

Gwynnddd, I'm glad you liked The Temptation of Hope. Writing any of Tolkien's characters is a bit intimidating, but Aragorn more so than most, as he is a major star of LOTR.  What I've always found appealing in Aragorn opened the way to the story - his blend of idealism and practicality, coupled with a strong capacity for love - of friends, family, and of course Arwen. 

There have been some great pieces in this thread - Developer Legolas, Tharbad, A Parting Gift, and Arwen's Gift, and G.A.'s Work Detail, and all have been a joy to read. 

RAKSHA

Thank you! 

Gwynnyd (off to tackle her husband... oh, honey...) 

You're welcome Gwynnyd. I'm glad you enjoyed it...and I hope your husband did too.

Cheers, Vistula

Happy Birthday, Linaewen!

Slipping in just under the wire, here's a triple drabble for you! Hope your birthday was grand!

Gandalfs apprentice

Plain Hobbit Sense

Boromir frowned as the Ranger, with his long stride, vanished down a corridor of Elrond's house.

Aragorn son of Arathorn Elrond called him, and the scholars say the Northern Kings took such names as a sign of their claim. Underneath that battered cloak I see a man of Númenorean blood, and damn my eyes if that is not Elendil's sword. Yet he spurns me, the Steward's son of Gondor? Is the man mad?

Naturally, after the Council meeting, Boromir had sought out the one now revealed as Isildur's Heir. But after allowing Boromir a close look at Narsil, Aragorn said, "We must delay further speech, I fear—the scouts leave at once to search for any remaining dangers to Frodo, and I must go with them." He left Boromir standing there.

"I didn't like him, either, at first," said a voice behind him.

Boromir turned to see the Hobbit named Sam Gamgee.

"He wasn't much to look at," continued Sam, "when we met in Bree. Fit to scare the daylights out of honest folk, Strider was. Strange, too—you wouldn't want him in your parlor. But I found out different."

He paused, his brown eyes warm with sincerity. "Mr. Gandalf, he says we would never of got here without him. He says hardly nobody could have kept those Black Riders off Mr. Frodo the way Strider could. I saw it. Old Strider, he's got a thing or two up his sleeve, and not just a broken sword, either."

He nodded at Boromir with an encouraging smile.

Boromir gaped at the impudent little creature. What a strange place the North is! Cheeky Halflings, ragged kings. What next? Laughing, he took Sam's hand. "I will keep your words in mind," he said solemnly.

"You had better," said Sam. "It's plain Hobbit sense."

Re: June 2006 Birthdays- Ti'ana Luthien

I aim to please!  I hope you enjoy this little moment.

Matters of the Heart

"She loves him."

"He is…" Celeborn paused.

Galadriel hid a smile.  "Unworthy?"

Celeborn paced to the edge of the flet and turned back to regard her.  "No. That is not the issue." He hastily added, "They are from different worlds."

This time she smiled openly.  Joining her husband, she slid her hands around his waist. "So they said about us. Yet, I love you still."

Celeborn's hands met behind her back and he leaned his forehead against hers.  "I regret nothing."

"Nor I.  He loves her."

He gave a deep chuckle. "Very well.  Elrond shall have Celebrían with our blessing."

Happy belated birthday!

Gwynnyd

Re: June 2006 Birthdays- Ti'ana Luthien

Starting a new thread.

RiverOtter

Re: Happy Birthday, Linaewen!

I can't believe I didn't thank you for this yet -- I have been very bad about keeping up here. *is sad for that, but very happy for the lovely story*

This is a perfect filler for that empty time after the Council when you just know Boromir is thinking of nothing else but the heir of Isildur and the sword he carries. I love it that Sam has words of wisdom for him, presented in that sensible way of his that cuts through to the heart of the matter and gets through to Boromir, even though "cheeky" hobbits are out of his usual experience. I like seeing Sam and Boromir as friends!

Thank you so much!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum