Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Legolas during The Hobbit

Legolas during The Hobbit

This little beastie attacked me during a discussion in another place about Aragorn/Legolas stories, and since I wasn't prepared to write him into nonexistence, I thought I'd throw him in the hutch: "What was Legolas doing at the time that the Dwarves were captive in Thranduil’s dungeons? What would he have thought about that, and how might it play into his interactions with Gimli many years later? Did he go to the Battle of the Five Armies?" There's a great dearth of The Hobbit stories, which I suspect is because most of the characters are Dwarves, and Dwarves just aren't very popular. And the Hobbit is Bilbo, and, well, most people think of old Bilbo from LotR, where it's the other Hobbits who seem young and fun and interesting to write about. But there are Elves in the story - and this seemed like an interesting angle to take, one that might also shed light on the Legolas-Gimli friendship of LotR. So this is a nuzgûl at present, but I'd happily see it become a Challenge - I think there's scope for various takes on the situation. Celandine

Re: Legolas during The Hobbit

Well, I just posted in response to Marta's nuzgul annoucement over on the adoptions forum, but I guess it bears repeating here since you've opened a thread on it. "What was Legolas doing at the time that the Dwarves were captive in Thranduil’s dungeons? What would he have thought about that, and how might it play into his interactions with Gimli many years later? Did he go to the Battle of the Five Armies?" I'd like to see a nuzgûl for "What was anyone else doing during The Hobbit? How about 'Gilrean and the Seven Thirteen Dwarves'? Maybe Saruman was hiring his first orcs, having discovered that minion labor was much cheaper than human servants. Perhaps Ecthelion II was getting disciplined by his father a little too harshly. Of course you'd have to stretch to link those to the events of The Hobbit, but it could sure be fun trying. *Grins* This is amusing as I've had nuzgûl-ish thoughts along the same lines of Legolas during the Hobbit, but no real story ideas. I do have a nibbler about the twins when the Dwarves came to Rivendell which may someday see the light of day. This is a great nuzgûl! Come on, folks, step right up and adopt! ~Tenshi

Tenshi, I must say one thing -- you've got great nuzgul-flinging style. Perhaps we should petition for some sort of an Olympics event in it? You could take gold. This is a great nuzgûl -- one I won't be taking -- but that doesn't mean you can't. How about you, Cel? This is your nuzgûl, surely you want to write it. ;-) Saruman hiring his first orcs is a good idea. What did Treebeard think of this? (said she, who swore she'd never write Treebeard again but seems susceptible to nuzguls featuring him)? What about the orcs of Mordor? How did they feel about Sauron's return? (Easterlings, Southrons...) What about Gondorians? We've mentioned Ecthelion and Turgon; What about those Gondorians still living in Ithilien (imagine witnessing Sauron's return and Orodruin bursting into flames...) Don't forget that Henneth Annun was only built forty years prior. There's a potential story there, perhaps. I'm sure I remember a discussion on a potential movie of The Hobbit where someone wonder if there would a cameo moment with a ten year old Dunedain boy in Rivendell Hmm, who do I know who writes Estel around that age...? And hobbits -- There's Lobelia and Otho organising the auction of Bag End, Gaffer Gamgee guarding the gardens. And what about the Tooks and the Brandybucks? Remember, Bilbo had ties to both those families. Fortinbras had just been made Thain two years earlier, and Gorbadoc was the Master of Brandy Hall. What did they think of Gandalf spiriting another hobbit off, and how did they think it would turn out (anyone out there like minor hobbit characters? This one's rich.) And don't forget Smeagol. He's quite possibly the most underwritten character of this era. Just what did he do after he left the Misty Mountains? The possibilities are endless, but we only need five pledges. Cheers, Marta

I wouldn't object to broadening it - maybe "LotR characters during The Hobbit"? If that would seem to make for a better, more appealing challenge? I really shouldn't pick it up myself, though, I already have at least two incomplete stories in other Challenges that need writing first - one of them in a Challenge that closed longer ago than I really want to admit in public! Maybe I will note it down, though, for summer speculations... I've done implied!Gollum in a story set a couple of decades later, but that's not really an appropriate story for this. *cough* I think I should stick with my original beastie, if I go for this one. Cel

Now on Field Two, Olympic events: shot-put, javelin, and nuzgul-fling. I don't mean to hijack Celandine's nibbler, it's a great one as it stands. But if it were broadened to any LOTR characters during the Hobbit, especially if the events connected, then I would definitely take it up. I'm planning a story right now that is set during the Hobbit and connects with it pretty closely. I plan to write on several misadventures of Elladan and Elrohir at the time, including being the two Elves Gandalf bumped into outside of Rivendell, running into the three trolls, teasing the Dwarves as they cross the Bruinen, introducing a young Estel to Bilbo, and scaring the life out of the Dwarves with dark stories about the other side of the mountains. Yeah, I might have to go for Prankster!Twins with this one, and even Fluff!Estel, but it won't be too sappy. I don't particuarly want to write on Legolas at this time, but if the challenge is broadened, then count me as a raised hand. Well, it'll be interesting to see how this develops. Good one, Celandine!

Tenshi, if Cel doesn't mind us hijacking her idea, then I'm not going to complain. I think we could leave the original nuzgul as it is and do a challenge inspired by it, similar to the "Kindler, Gentler Denethor" nuzgul and "Son of Ecthelion" challenge. Personally, I'm tempted by Treebeard's reaction to the first Orcs in Isengard. Very tempted, actually, but I'm staring at my nuzgul notebook. Among other plot ideas I want to get to, I'm staring at a mammoth Denethor-Boromir-Faramir-and-OCs nuzgul. It puts Bombur to shame. So you can put me down as an "interested but no pledge" -- because I have no idea when I'll be able to get to the fic. Elrohir and Elladan outside Rivendell sounds most interesting. I'm looking forward to it. Marta

I have just been and counted up the scary number of placeholders I have, contemplated the pitifully slow rate at which the current WIP is progressing - and still find myself bitten by an idea for a story about 12-year old Denethor and his father Ecthelion finding out that Smaug is dead. All of which is spun out of a couple of minor plot points in the current WIP.... Which is to say, I guess, count me in, but the Valar know when I'll have time to write it! Cheers, Liz

This is a great nuzgûl! Come on, folks, step right up and adopt! *ducking as nuzgul flies over my head* Ha!! Missed me (only barely) I'm actually embroiled in my own Legolas/Aragorn fic, but it starts two years AFTER the Hobbit....I decided NOT to open that particular can of worms...yet.. I have too many WIPs anyway without another!! *looking warily at the circling "Legolas during the Hobbit" nuzgul and searching frantically for the trusty can of Nuzgul Repellent* Cheryl

12-year old Denethor Eww, nope, I'm going to have to inform you that Denethor sprung fully formed out of the ground. I can grasp Denethor from Finduilas onwards, but I find it really hard to see him as a child. Maybe I should try writing him, or it would be even better if you did Liz... Would it be plausible for Thranduil to have sent Legolas to be his representative at Dol Guldur, as he was off chasing shiny stuff.

I'm sure I remember a discussion on a potential movie of The Hobbit where someone wonder if there would a cameo moment with a ten year old Dunedain boy in Rivendell Hmm, who do I know who writes Estel around that age...? I'll make you a deal, Marta. You do the beta on the baby Estel piece of mine in the next couple of days (see, I'll give you time to finish your exam on Monday) and I'll sign up for the challenge. I don't promise that I'll have more thoughts than a vignette's worth, though. Gwynnyd

I'll make you a deal, Marta. You do the beta on the baby Estel piece of mine in the next couple of days (see, I'll give you time to finish your exam on Monday) and I'll sign up for the challenge. Agreed. You will have your beta by Wednesday at the very latest. Marta

I think I should stick with my original beastie, if I go for this one. Well, Cel - you just let me know. I'd certainly take Legolas off your hands for this one. ~Lady Aranel~

Elvenesse wrote: Eww, nope, I'm going to have to inform you that Denethor sprung fully formed out of the ground. I can grasp Denethor from Finduilas onwards, but I find it really hard to see him as a child. Maybe I should try writing him, or it would be even better if you did Liz... Oh dear, I am going to have to write this just to prove 12-year old Denethor can be convincing, aren't I? Would it be plausible for Thranduil to have sent Legolas to be his representative at Dol Guldur, as he was off chasing shiny stuff. I think so: I know Gandalf heads off to the attack on Dol Guldur when the dwarves reach Mirkwood, but I 'm not clear if Thranduil would have had time to be present at the attack on Dol Guldur and then get back for the feast which the dwarves interrupt (I'm not a hundred per cent sure of the timescales). It does seem unlikely, so if Thranduil wasn't at Dol Guldur, it's highly likely Legolas could have been leading a force of Mirkwood elves. Cheers, Liz

so if Thranduil wasn't at Dol Guldur, it's highly likely Legolas could have been leading a force of Mirkwood elves. And the Nuzgul's just keep coming..... How in the world am I supposed to resist forceful-leader!Legolas? You people are evil! Evil, I say!!!! ~Lady Aranel~

Eww, nope, I'm going to have to inform you that Denethor sprung fully formed out of the ground. I can grasp Denethor from Finduilas onwards, but I find it really hard to see him as a child. And that, m'dear, is a nuzgûl worth pursuing in its own right. You go right on and report back to us about the joys of pre-teen Denethor. We'll be over there [points to th border of Rohan... the western border of Rohan] cheering you on. Seriously, someone surely has *some* idea of Denethor's childhood? If so... I suggest either flinging the idea to the "Deconstructing Denethor" forum or dumping it in the Hutch. Hm. YOu know, forget that second. I'll go put it in the Hutch now before it escapes and tries to breed. Back to your scheduled discussion of Legolas during "The Hobbit".

Seriously, someone surely has *some* idea of Denethor's childhood? Dwim - I am offering to do this. I have no idea why I am making this mad offer, but I am. Though who knows when I will get to write it *sigh* Cheers, Liz

And the Nuzgul's just keep coming..... How in the world am I supposed to resist forceful-leader!Legolas? You people are evil! Evil, I say!!!! To all those currently under Nuzgûl attack, you might want to take a look at this. You are not alone. When Nuzgûl Attack.../ When Muses Attack... Cheers!

Seriously, someone surely has *some* idea of Denethor's childhood? *Sigh* I not only have an idea (several, actually), I have 1500 words of fourteen-year-old Denethor making googly eyes at a southron refugee in the city, and the consequences thereof. (This for the piece that's not supposed to be being written yet, but I had to do something on the 3 hour car-ride yesterday, didn't I?) Curse you and your "Son of Ecthelion" nuzgul. As for this challenge. I now feel rather guilty. I have snagged all three of my betas and not entered myself. So consider me in. I fear Treebeard's siren-call is hard to resist. ;-) And then there were five. Tenshi, email me offlist and we will arrange all the specifics. Oh, and a suggestion for deadlines -- how about Durin's Day 2005? I know I'd love a long deadline on this one, and Lady Aranel mentioned to me offlist that the deadline should be next year. Do you object to an insanely far-off deadline, Tenshi? Cel? (FYI, in 2941 Durin's Day fell on October 22nd according to this article.) Cheers, Marta

Well, Cel - you just let me know. I'd certainly take Legolas off your hands for this one. Oh, feel free to write it! Even if I eventually write a story on this, I'm sure that yours would be quite different. That's the beauty of nuzgûl and Challenges, after all. Cel

And the Nuzgul's just keep coming.....How in the world am I supposed to resist forceful-leader!Legolas? You people are evil! Evil, I say!!!! ~Lady Aranel~>> Ahh! They do multiply quickly, don't they?! And here, I haven't been able to find my can of Nuzgul Repellent yet. *sigh* Cheryl *watching the swarm of nuzguls circling around her*

*Sigh* I not only have an idea (several, actually), I have 1500 words of fourteen-year-old Denethor making googly eyes at a southron refugee in the city, and the consequences thereof. (This for the piece that's not supposed to be being written yet, but I had to do something on the 3 hour car-ride yesterday, didn't I?) Curse you and your "Son of Ecthelion" nuzgul. Bad Marta! No biscuit! Come on, how the heck am I supposed to keep you under control, get you to finish Best Brew and write the "Fatty under the influence of the black breath" fic if you keep doing this kind of thing? *sigh* And when you keep distracting me with "got to write it now" vignettes? Liz

Chance Meetings is now up; it closes on Durin's Day (October 22) 2005. Thank you to Tenshi, Celandine, and Dwim for helping us sort out the wording. For those writing Legolas, the original nuzgul is staying up. Feel free to enter it into both. Feel free to discuss your stories, ask questions about the challenge, or whatever else you feel is appropriate in the Challenges: Story Discussions forum. If I can be of any help please do not hesitate to contact me. Marta

hmm.... *scratches head and wonders if "Captain of the Guard" would qualify under this challenge as well as the Good!Thranduil challenge...* I really need to stay VERY FAR AWAY from the Nuzgul hutch. Did you people ever see the original Star Trek Episode "Trouble with Tribbles?" Well...that is what my cube looks like right now. Except instead of cute fuzzy hairballs, it's filled with Evil Fangy Bunnies.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges