Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Inspired?

Inspired?

Has anyone ever read someone else's work and liked it so much you wanted to write more? A sequel, or prequel perhaps? I have an idea for a challenge: write something (prequel, sequel, missing scene, poem, whatever) based on a story by another author. Could be fun to explore other people's universes, character interpretations, etc. Of course, you'd have to get permission from the author whose work you were using, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Anybody interested?

Re: Inspired?

Count me in. That sounds like mad, mad fun. And there are a few authors whose works I'd love to write missing scenes for. Aeneid

Oh yeah . I'm definitely in. Would it be possible to add rules to the challenge where, if you decide to participate, you have to give the original author credit, and tell which story the one you are writing is inspired by? That would probably be much easier then having to seek out every author and ask permission. CLF

Wot, I see a new nuzgul being hatched here! If you can widen this to include stories with borrowed ideas, you can count me in - I have one with bits borrowed from two of my fave authors. Would it be possible to add rules to the challenge where, if you decide to participate... CLF, having the rules set out properly in the challenge text is an excellent idea. But I would urge all would-be participants to contact the inspiring author to seek permission in any event. Not everyone pops by this lovely forum (one wonders why... ) and they mayn't know that their story is being used/referred to etc. Credit must be given, of course. Edit: Oops I forgot to ask - Beruthiel, what kind of deadline are you looking at for this? cheers, nrink

Beruthiel, I recently wrote a double drabble based on a scene in Tanaqui's piece "Later" - a scene where Faramir & Eowyn are hiding in a pantry in Meduseld, and are nearly discovered by Merry and Pippin. Tanaqui's piece is from Faramir's perspective; mine is from Pippin's. If you think this fits I'll be glad to enter it into the challenge. Marta [Edit: I originally had this addressed to CLF - sorry for the mixup. Obviously there's too much blood in my caffeine system. ;) ]

Has anyone ever read someone else's work and liked it so much you wanted to write more? A sequel, or prequel perhaps? You mean, like fanfiction? *snigger* could be interesting....maybe swapping - i write yours, you write mine...type of thing

It would be a good idea, I think, to contact the author of the original and even send her/him the inspired-by fic you've written - just in case there is some glaring contradiction to what they had in mind regarding their fic's plot/characterization/etc. At least, I'll definitely be sending the author my "missing scene," because I would feel weird just posting it without having the original author looking it over to make sure it "fits." I would also appreciate this gesture if others were to write something from my fics. Original authors should be flexible enough to accept slight reinterpretations to their work - but I wouldn't think killing off Boromir in a Boromir-centric fic would go over well. So sending the author your piece might be a good way to ensure it's "right." It could essentially be just a formality, a token of acknowledgement. Anyway, wonderful, wonderful idea! Fanfic about fanfic! Also, can we enter challenges twice? If so, count me down for a double entry, as I have two in mind (one in the process of being frantically written, so excited was I by this idea)! Aeneid

I know what you mean. I wouldn't like it if someone just posted something about my story without asking me. In a way, stories based off your own work reflect your work. CLF

What kind of deadline are you looking at for this? A long one. A year from now, perhaps? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a very, very slow writer (and the story that has inspired me is not finished yet). nrink - borrowed ideas are fine. I think everyone who participates in this should identify the inspiring story and author (and maybe provide a link to the original), and get permission from the author first. Don't think we need any more rules than this. So how many are in so far?

So far it looks like you've got Marta, nrink nrink, Aeniad , me, and possibly Arandil? I think that's about four or five people? Wow . . . my brain is really going dead today. CLF

Contacting the authors before hand will be really important for the challenge. Having participated in a discussion about the fanficcing of another fanfiction in another forum, I can say with confidence that many fanfiction authors take the unauthorized fanficcing of their works as badly as Anne Rice -- and we don't want to end up with hard feelings on either side. Karri

*whips out victim list and large horn-rimmed glasses* Looks like self, CLF, Aeneid, Beruthiel and Marta have succumbed, which makes the magic number! Deadline: A year it is! Beruthiel, please feel free to adjust the wording if you like. If you're fine with it, I could just add in the rules and you'll be all set. Congratulations! nrink

I recently overextended myself on challenges, so I've got about eight placeholders (ai). But.... A nuzgul has been hiding in my desk drawers, poking a long ear out now and then, stemming from Liz/Tanaqui's fic "Failure". It's still in the nibbling stage, but I could see something being written for it. If there's a looooong deadline.... *begs for long deadline* ~Allie/Meril

nrink - Wording looks OK to me, as long as everyone understands it (I can get a bit incoherent at times). Just add the rules about obtaining permission and giving credit to original authors. Deadline: end of October 2005?

and possibly Arandil? Nooooo....no no no no..... I mean, you are all more than welcome to my work. (I heard someone somewhere else mention a sequel to Morgoth's Notebook), but I have too much on my plate right now to commit to anything else. I may do it, but don't count me in the 5 needed to make a challenge... Sorry guys!!! Arandil

Add me to the list too. I have a couple of stories already which would fit this challenge, though I'll double-check with the author even though I have permission to write the stories. BTW - what about drabbling the story that inspires you? We did that in the drabble forum a while back and it was fun. Avon

Okay people! Challenge is up here. Have fun, and thanks to Beruthiel for her very sticky little nuzgul! cheers, nrink

*Drools* Would I be allowed to do a sequel to "Morgoth's Notebook?" There's definitely inspiration there. CLF

nrink nrink, When I clicked on that link, it lead to the nuzgul, "Sweet Child of Mine."

Urk! Thanks CLF - glitch has been fixed. cheers! nrink

You're welcome! So the deadline for this challenge is a year?

So the deadline for this challenge is a year? Yep. Plenty of time. You could even do more than one story, you know *she grins slyly* cheers, nrink

A nuzgul has been hiding in my desk drawers, poking a long ear out now and then, stemming from Liz/Tanaqui's fic "Failure". It's still in the nibbling stage, but I could see something being written for it. Oh, interesting. What's the nuzgul? I wouldn't mind seeing that one written. *sigh* This challenge has awoken my long-dormant nuzgul to write Eomer sneaking around Edoras with Lothiriel, during the events described in Edoras. I may have to actually write it now. (I really come up with my own plot ideas, in abundance. You'd never know that from the way I keep poaching off Liz... ) If anyone out there is interested, there's a "missing scene" in my piece Summer Nights (available at HASA... in General, I think, perhaps still in Beta). SN is essentially the story of seventeen-year-old Faramir wandering into a Dol Amroth brothel by mistake (he's unaware of differing customs about how to spot brothels), leaving, having a conversation with Boromir about prostitution, and returning to the brothel. But I never wrote the return visit. I mean to, one of these days, but if someone else is interested in it, I'd be amenable. Not least of all because it's a story idea I can cross off my list without actually writing. So there's room for PWP, serious look at prostitution among the Dunedain, humour of the embarassed teenage Faramir variety, or anything else your heart can dream up. Anyway, I'm glad to see this challenge up. I'll go set up my entry right now. Marta

I'm coming in late on this one but I saw something in the Harry Potter fandom that could work as a similar challenge. Basically, the opposite to the drabble challenge Avon mentioned further up, but how about writing a story based on or expanding a drabble? You could do a two-part challenge where people write the drabbles and then anyone can write a story off them (and by writing a drabble you'd give implicit permission for anyone to use it). Or you could use existing ones (obviously you'd have to ask for permission in that case). Nic

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges