Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Quickies 2005

Quickies 2005

Let the gathering of ideas begin. Remember: a quickie has to be doable in 3 pages or less. It should not (ideally) involve shifting points of view. And we've been doing them by quarters, which seems to be a good strategy. So any suggestions? RiverOtter

Re: Quickies 2005

At River Otter's recommendation, I have moved my suggestion from Quickies to a standalone potential challenge here: The Sons of Elrond in the Battle of the Field of Celebrant - Barbara

WHY did you have to find that? Now you've made me want to write about this! And I don't have the time, but I still want to... Phooey. I'll just have to pretend to study and do this instead.

WHY did you have to find that? Why? Because I am a Research Geek, that's why. We get to boldly go where no one (in their right mind) has ever gone before... Now you've made me want to write about this! *vbg* My work here is done... - Barbara

Well, you'll get to read it all right, but since I'm not 'talented' by any standard of assessment, it won't be very good...

*sigh* If it involves the twins, I'm in! I actually spent some time searching for that quote last week - I knew I'd read it, but couldn't find it in the LOTR appendices. (And I anxiously await the opportunity to relish any and all stories on this topic from our talented authors...) Me too!! Jay

That sounds a bit more like a nugzul since Quickies are usually 3 pages or less. You might consider this as a prospective challenge. Perhaps this bit as a Quickie: The sons of Elrond spent time with the Rohirrim after the coronation of King Elessar. What was it like for Elladan and Elrohir to recount the tale of the Battle of the Field of Celebrant to those descendants, many generations removed, of their fellow warriors? What was it like for the Rohirrim to hear the story of the defining battle in their country's history -- a battle that occurred five hundred years before -- from someone who fought in it? RiverOtter

That sounds a bit more like a nugzul since Quickies are usually 3 pages or less. You might consider this as a prospective challenge. Would you like me to move my first entry over? I'd be happy to, if you'd like. (And your focusing on the last questions for the Quickies is just fine with me...) - Barbara

Please move it over to the prospective challenges. There are lots of possibilties in your ideas that could appeal to a wide variety of writers. RiverOtter

Please move it over to the prospective challenges. Done! And here it is: The Sons of Elrond in the Battle of the Field of Celebrant Noldo and Jay: I'm really glad that you're interested! If you wish to do it as a standalone Challenge rather than a three-page Quickie, please sign up over there... Thanks for your help, River Otter! - Barbara

What about a meeting between Elwing and Elrond when the latter reaches the Undying Lands? The two wouldn't have seen each other in thousands of years, and how would Elwing react to seeing her "little boy," who she was not even able to raise for very long?

Interesting idea. This could be done from several Points of View: Elwing, Elrond or anyone who observes their reunion. RiverOtter

I pulled these from the HASA Story Requests forum; they could be done in 3 pages or less. All elf-centric, but still... --“There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south," Glorfindel says in FOTR. Who were the other riders that could ride openly against the Nine? Write about those riders being chosen, or accepting their task to go out and find Frodo & Co. --Feanor during the Time of the Trees, learning his smithcraft. --What Celeborn thought when he first found out Galadriel accepted a ring of power. Always, Allie

I have pulled all the 2004 Quickie suggestions and marked those that have been made into stories. I plan to recycyle the rest. RiverOtter

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges